Author Topic: Anyone taken the NASM test? Questions...  (Read 8610 times)

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Anyone taken the NASM test? Questions...
« on: November 29, 2006, 02:34:27 PM »
I'm studying for the NASM personal trainer test and there's a TON of information that no trainer I've ever talked to knows. Do I really have to know everything in the study materials?

For example, do i need to know that the articulus genu originates at the anterior surface of the distal femoral shaft, inserts at the proximal synovial membrane of the knee, has the isolated function of pulling the synovial membrane and capsule superiorly during extension to avoid pinching, has the intergrated function of eccentrically decelerating knee flexion and internal rotation, and that it's innervation is the femoral nerve? Seriously, is stuff like this on the test? There's a LOT of that info on every muscle in the body.

Also, anyone know if the test is multiple choice, fill in the blanks, etc?

Thanks, just trying to get a general sense of what I should be concentrating on.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
Re: Anyone taken the NASM test? Questions...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 02:39:24 PM »
McDermott's test is tough, as is the practical.  Good luck.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 02:40:43 PM »
good luck

nasm is a tough exam

they are really into using the swiss balls and proproceptive training and shit like that

eastcoastbbman

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 03:24:31 PM »
ive been certified through n.a.s.m. since 1996. yes, the test is difficult. yes, they want you to actually know things. can you imagine that??? they want you to have a working knowledge of the human body.

do you HAVE to know all this stuff to be a personal trainer?? no, you dont. there are plenty of trainers that dont know a blessed thing about the human body. my question to you is: do you want to be one of those?

your worth as a trainer is directly proportional to how much you know and how well youre able to impart that info to others. dont be afraid to put in the time and effort it takes to learn. there's no way it can hurt.

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 03:35:02 PM »
ive been certified through n.a.s.m. since 1996. yes, the test is difficult. yes, they want you to actually know things. can you imagine that??? they want you to have a working knowledge of the human body.

do you HAVE to know all this stuff to be a personal trainer?? no, you dont. there are plenty of trainers that dont know a blessed thing about the human body. my question to you is: do you want to be one of those?

your worth as a trainer is directly proportional to how much you know and how well youre able to impart that info to others. dont be afraid to put in the time and effort it takes to learn. there's no way it can hurt.

exactly....so many wannabe PTs whine about hard-ER, and i emphasize the ER, tests like nasm and now acsm.  they are much more clinical.

what i can guarantee is that anything they will test you on has been covered in the material somewhere.  so theres no real excuse for, if not remembering all of it, not passing the test. 

there are also more bodybuilding oriented certs otu there, such as issa, which is run by powerlifters and bodybuilders like hatfield and platz.

ACE is just the cheap, easy, retard PT test that your run of the mill bally trainer will have, if he has one at all.

QUICK! what are the four muscles of the rotator cuff?!?! answer now!
its comin today

elspecimino

• Getbig III
  • hulk hogan=largest arms in the world
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 03:43:32 PM »
I am certified through the NASM and the ACSM and with the NASM exam the thing that they will ask you the most about are postural distortions and muscle imbalances and how to fix them.  It also helps to know the OPT training model from top to bottom.  GOOD LUCK

luike101

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 09:16:34 PM »
El is right, but what he is also saying is to understand postural imbalance and other things involved, you have to have a general idea of how the other things work into it.  Lots about the exercises too. You have to get on a schedule and do it everyday.  I went through my course about three times before i took my test.  Also even if you dont agree or arent interested in some of the material try and fight through  that bcause they want you to know their system of training bottom line.  multiple choice                100 questions

jennifer1

• Pros
  • Getbig II
  • www.teamworksfigurebikini.com
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 09:50:53 PM »
I'm about to start studying for this too... the NASM exam.  It's been awhile since I've had to study for anything... To those that have taken the exam - how did you study for it?  I have the CD-Roms, study guide and practice quizzes.... I was just going to read through everything and watch the discs... any other suggestions?

Thanks!  ;)

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 10:21:11 PM »
I'm studying for the NASM personal trainer test and there's a TON of information that no trainer I've ever talked to knows. Do I really have to know everything in the study materials?

For example, do i need to know that the articulus genu originates at the anterior surface of the distal femoral shaft, inserts at the proximal synovial membrane of the knee, has the isolated function of pulling the synovial membrane and capsule superiorly during extension to avoid pinching, has the intergrated function of eccentrically decelerating knee flexion and internal rotation, and that it's innervation is the femoral nerve? Seriously, is stuff like this on the test? There's a LOT of that info on every muscle in the body.

Thanks, just trying to get a general sense of what I should be concentrating on.

I don't think you have much to worry about - as long as your check clears.
Motherboy (the band).

the bronze

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 10:26:35 PM »
All the questions are multiple choice.  Most questions have 4 answers.  At least 2 will be obviously wrong, so pick between the other 2 that seem more right.  I dont remember any trick questions but NASM is heavy on particular vocabulary, so know and understand your vocabulary terms that are in bold on the text borders.  You need to know postural deviations, exercise progressions and regressions, the OPT model (but not tempo, reps, and particulars).  You will need to know how to describe the movements of an exercise using planar terms (extension, medial, etc.)  You will need to know some basic assessment stuff (rules like you cant diagnose injuries).  You also need to know special conditions for the elderly, obese, etc.  

I just read the manual.  The test was easier than I thought, which was a relief.  I extended 2x because I didnt think I could retain all that info, but it wasnt bad.  I recommend reading the book and then taking the test.  If you fail, cover those chapters you felt weak in and retake the test immediatly.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 10:29:16 PM »

Try taking the CSCS, that makes NASM look like a quiz, not taking anything away from NASM, I heard that was one of the toughest as far as CPT tests go!

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 11:12:17 PM »
I'm about to start studying for this too... the NASM exam.  It's been awhile since I've had to study for anything... To those that have taken the exam - how did you study for it?  I have the CD-Roms, study guide and practice quizzes.... I was just going to read through everything and watch the discs... any other suggestions?

Thanks!  ;)

i'll take the nasm test for you and you'll pass with flying colors, you'll just have to take a 30 minute oral exam at my house, its quite easy
its comin today

JaggyShortBuff

• Getbig IV
  • Art Work In Motion
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 12:16:28 AM »

Thanks!  ;)

God Bless The Booty Jennifer!!! Just wanted to give ya props on that amazing body....
Watching The Haters

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 01:41:56 AM »
Why don't try the one Arvilla has?

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 07:53:11 AM »
Thank you "the bronze," luike101 and elspecimino! You guys have really helped me better understand what I'm working towards.

And good luck Jennifer1 as well!

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 08:11:50 AM »
Why don't try the one Arvilla has?

YIP
Zack

Are you trying to make fun of Dyke-Lucy Garbaldo Arvilla?
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2006, 09:08:39 AM »
Incorrect.  Some of the most busy trainers I know, barely know what I do, and that isn't a ton of information.  To be a successful trainer you need to be good with people, a motivator, and have a good business sense for bringing in new clients.  Most people you train have no clue if what you're doing is cutting edge or a simple cardio routine.  Oh, and being jacked has nothing to do with having a ton of clients.  I know a trainer who looks like he's the president of a math club, guy has over 50 clients, granted he trains 2 at once usually.
N

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 09:09:29 AM »
Incorrect.  Some of the most busy trainers I know, barely know what I do, and that isn't a ton of information.  To be a successful trainer you need to be good with people, a motivator, and have a good business sense for bringing in new clients.  Most people you train have no clue if what you're doing is cutting edge or a simple cardio routine.  Oh, and being jacked has nothing to do with having a ton of clients.  I know a trainer who looks like he's the president of a math club, guy has over 50 clients, granted he trains 2 at once usually.
'

Math = cool. Only superior people like it.
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

mwbbuilder

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 09:42:38 AM »
You need to know everything in the manual.

Take the online practice tests.

That's exactly what the test will be like.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2006, 09:55:03 AM »
good luck on your test and if you fail just do what three of the staff trainer's at my gym did about their credentials...lie

jennifer1

• Pros
  • Getbig II
  • www.teamworksfigurebikini.com
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2006, 09:06:56 PM »
All the questions are multiple choice.  Most questions have 4 answers.  At least 2 will be obviously wrong, so pick between the other 2 that seem more right.  I dont remember any trick questions but NASM is heavy on particular vocabulary, so know and understand your vocabulary terms that are in bold on the text borders.  You need to know postural deviations, exercise progressions and regressions, the OPT model (but not tempo, reps, and particulars).  You will need to know how to describe the movements of an exercise using planar terms (extension, medial, etc.)  You will need to know some basic assessment stuff (rules like you cant diagnose injuries).  You also need to know special conditions for the elderly, obese, etc.  

I just read the manual.  The test was easier than I thought, which was a relief.  I extended 2x because I didnt think I could retain all that info, but it wasnt bad.  I recommend reading the book and then taking the test.  If you fail, cover those chapters you felt weak in and retake the test immediatly.
Thanks so much folks!  And Sir.... you're too kind.  Always willing to help  ;)  BTW... long time no type!  Hope everything's well with you! 

Jaggy... thanks to you also for liking my booty... 

luike101

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2006, 08:46:51 PM »
Mwbbuilder is right also.  Take online exams