Author Topic: A GSP vs Anderson fight is more relevant than ever!  (Read 2597 times)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
A GSP vs Anderson fight is more relevant than ever!
« on: August 08, 2010, 12:45:26 AM »
GSP is a smaller but better Sonnen. I think he could take Silva.
w

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
Re: A GSP vs Anderson fight is more relevant than ever!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 09:01:02 AM »
GSP is a smaller but better Sonnen. I think he could take Silva.

I have to say I am beginning to agree.   When Silva decides to fight someone who has a ground game he shows a lot of weakness.  More weakness than Fedor did in his last few fights but you don't see people screaming that Silva has been exposed.  Take a look at Silva's record and you will see that his antics are the most flagrant when it comes to fighting guys with appreciable ground skills.
A

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
No doubt in my mind GSP would dominate Silva.

RancherRanger

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 10:52:05 AM »
No doubt in my mind GSP would dominate Silva.
I've said all along that GSP was better that Silva.  Silva has crappy takedown defense.  Chael's big weakness is submission defense.  I don't see Silva submitting GSP if BJ Penn couldn't do it!

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 01:20:09 PM »
I called this shit before the fight-- If Chael makes it out of round 1, the fight will probably go the distance and he might get the decision. I was almost spot on.

GSP will wipe the floor with Silva unless Silva dramatically improves his takedown defense.

GSP isn't a better Sonnen, GSP is as good a wrestler as sonnen and 500X the fighter in every other facet of the game.

The difference between Fedor and Silva is simple--- Fedor has no weaknesses in his game, he just takes a lot of chances and can get sloppy at times. Silva has no weaknesses in his game except one and so far he has taken absolutely no initiative to improve his one weakness. Also, throw in the fact that Silva has fought (for the most part) subpar competition and you can tell why he hasn't improved that one lacking area. A fight with GSP would finally force him to.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 06:25:29 AM »
There is no way that the fight will ever happen.  The only reason it was talked about it was because both men were dispatching everyone in their weight classes.  Silva more so than GSP.  Now, after 117 we see that Silva is not so 'Terminator' like.  I think the match nearly everyone wants to see is the re-match.  I know they touted Vitor as next in line for silva....but what the hell has Vitor done in the UFC as of late?  Nothing.  He hasnt even fought 185 in what 2 - 3 years?

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 07:32:40 AM »
There is no way that the fight will ever happen.  The only reason it was talked about it was because both men were dispatching everyone in their weight classes.  Silva more so than GSP.  Now, after 117 we see that Silva is not so 'Terminator' like.  I think the match nearly everyone wants to see is the re-match.  I know they touted Vitor as next in line for silva....but what the hell has Vitor done in the UFC as of late?  Nothing.  He hasnt even fought 185 in what 2 - 3 years?

I'll have to disagree on a few things.  First, GSP has done a better job of cleaning up Welterweights than Anderson has cleaning up middle weights.  GSP usurped a tougher champ in Hughes, than Anderson did in Franklin.  And, GSP has beaten much tougher opposition in guys like Kos, Fitch, Alves, etc. than Anderson in guys like Lutter, Marquart, etc. 

As for a rematch with Chael, I want no part of it.  Chael had his chance.  He was able to implement his game plan flawlessly, yet he could not finish the champ.  For 5 rounds he dominated him using his strength (G&P) and still could not finish the champ.  And then, of course, he lost the fight decisively.  It wasn't a decision, or a controversial stoppage. 

Anderson may have shown that his weakness, is in fact going up against very high caliber wrestlers who can take punishment on their feet while shooting for the takedown.  Not many of those in the middleweight division.  I really don't think there is anyone else in the middleweight division that can do to Anderson what Chael did.
w

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 07:26:01 PM »
I'll have to disagree on a few things.  First, GSP has done a better job of cleaning up Welterweights than Anderson has cleaning up middle weights.  GSP usurped a tougher champ in Hughes, than Anderson did in Franklin.  And, GSP has beaten much tougher opposition in guys like Kos, Fitch, Alves, etc. than Anderson in guys like Lutter, Marquart, etc. 

As for a rematch with Chael, I want no part of it.  Chael had his chance.  He was able to implement his game plan flawlessly, yet he could not finish the champ.  For 5 rounds he dominated him using his strength (G&P) and still could not finish the champ.  And then, of course, he lost the fight decisively.  It wasn't a decision, or a controversial stoppage. 

Anderson may have shown that his weakness, is in fact going up against very high caliber wrestlers who can take punishment on their feet while shooting for the takedown.  Not many of those in the middleweight division.  I really don't think there is anyone else in the middleweight division that can do to Anderson what Chael did.

What about the rematches between GSP and Serra?  Liddel and Couture?  Penn and GSP?  Liddell and Ortiz?  I know not all were for belts, but the majority were.  I think Vitor should have to fight Marquart to prove he really is someone legit at 185.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 03:34:12 AM »
I agree with MS-- Vitor has an impressive and seasoned enough track record that he should be given a shot without having a buffer fight. He crushed perenial tomato can contender Rich "ace" Franklin, so logic dictates that he is game. Plus it would be an exciting fight that would put Silva against the best striker (by far) that he's ever been against in the ring.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 03:55:47 AM »
I like the Silva Vitor fight,  Vitor has a good chin on him and a dynamite left hand.  Since he's been at 185 he beat two guys who were at one point in the top 5 of the division.   If they want to make Vitor fight someone before Anderson have him fight Wanderlei,  it would be an entertaining fight. 

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 05:49:16 PM »
I'm not against a Chael/Anderson rematch. I just don't want to see it any time soon. I imagine it would look very much the same. Let both guys improve, face other opponents and then build the rematch through the TUF show.
w

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 06:16:21 PM »
I dont want any part of the rematch. By the time they would consider having one, Silva will probably be retired anyway.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 09:17:11 PM »
I just want the freaking GSP/Anderson fight!  I doubt Dana will give it us though.  It's a lose/lose for him.  One champ walks away with a tarnished image/record and that hurts his ability to say he has the best in the world.  Sadly, we'll probably get this fight when both fighters are past their prime and hurting for money...
w

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 12:00:31 AM »
i am def. leaning towards gsp taking this one..if it happens that is. i really think that dana could allow it though. it would probably be the biggest draw in ufc history. when dana gets sick of anderson i really believe he will set if up. then when anderson loses its bye bye silva
irongearco.com