Author Topic: Sprained Ankles  (Read 11433 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Sprained Ankles
« on: February 25, 2013, 09:45:02 AM »
anybody have them before? any advice on getting back up to normal quicker? exercises, rehab, icing schedules?

how long before youre back to 100%?

I sprained both sides of my left ankle(I didnt know that was possible but apparently it is) and its pretty damn painful. I have a bachelor party this weekend for a buddy and were slated to go fishing, play golf etc. and Id much rather be a participant than a sideliner

Thanks for the help everyone

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Sprained Ankles
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 10:03:48 AM »
I once has a serious left ankle sprain. Ice and rest are what worked for me. I iced it 6 or more times per day and stayed off it (crutches). Was able to play ball again the next week with lots of tape but it took about 3 weeks to feel normal. Ice ice baby.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 10:05:43 AM »
I would just rest it. I remember i got a gel from the Doc that i rubbed on my Ankle. It did help, canīt remember what it was called was a long time ago. It was good for any sprains and muscle pain.  My wife swears by this stuff which is translated as "Horse gel" for muscles and sprains...donīt know if itīs used for Horses...

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 10:37:52 AM »
I would just rest it. I remember i got a gel from the Doc that i rubbed on my Ankle. It did help, canīt remember what it was called was a long time ago. It was good for any sprains and muscle pain.  My wife swears by this stuff which is translated as "Horse gel" for muscles and sprains...donīt know if itīs used for Horses...

Don, that may be DMSO gel. I can't tell for sure from the picture, but Dimethylsulfoxide is commonly used on horses. I knew power-lifters who would buy it from veterinary supply stores by race tracks. It passes through the skin membrane, penetrating down to the affected area, where it has an anti-inflammatory effect.

It also acts as a "carrier." So, anything mixed with it will experience transdermal delivery. Some guys mix in crushed aspirin, or use a pin to punch a hole in vit E or Advil liqui-gel capsules to use the contents.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 10:45:07 AM »
anybody have them before? any advice on getting back up to normal quicker? exercises, rehab, icing schedules?

how long before youre back to 100%?

I sprained both sides of my left ankle(I didnt know that was possible but apparently it is) and its pretty damn painful. I have a bachelor party this weekend for a buddy and were slated to go fishing, play golf etc. and Id much rather be a participant than a sideliner

Thanks for the help everyone

Tony, in addition to the good recommendations here, you may consider trying hot/cold therapy, alternating ice packs and heat packs each for several minutes at a time to increase blood flow to the ankle. I believe you're supposed to end such a session with cold, but I can't remember why.

Ankles, wrists, and elbows often take a while to heal because those areas have a poor/low blood supply. But, they're not completely avascular, and increasing flow can carry benefits, including speeding the recovery time.

Also, applying a warming agent like Bengay, Icy-Hot, or Tylenol pain relieving cream can help draw more blood to the area during the day.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 03:31:19 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys its already better than it was this morning. Hopefully if I continue to ice it and use some solampas or Ben gay it will be ok to at least play a round this weekend.

Thanks again guys