Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 437656 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #2350 on: May 06, 2024, 07:36:51 AM »
I think the occasional women I see running there are foolish.  Picture is the actual trail. Goes on for many miles. Use to be  old railroad tracks that the county removed and put down cinder.   

Agreed.  Not smart.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2351 on: May 09, 2024, 01:28:15 PM »
Still working out but mainly running. Lost two pounds the last two weeks. Just tired of the training logs. I'm on track to running 25 miles this week. Feeling little weak but the distance running is slowly improving. I have seen my heart rate go down almost every run but my times are slightly improving. I will pick up lifting next week.

I come up with a lot of ideas about lifting routines that never pan out but I have to see if it suits me. Trying to be a hybrid athlete for a 5K I want to run in July. I know right now I can win my age bracket in this little small town 5K but I want to run well and not well for a 65 year old. That's going to take plenty of work.

My idea for a hybrid training protocol is to emphasize the running but trying to find a way to keep my hand in lifting. I went way back in the training notebooks. Going to use my Yates inspired weight workouts of one set to failure per exercise.  The twist is I'm going to use lighter weights but still go to failure. Going back maybe 2 decades when I was doing the serious hybrid thing used very light weights so failure happened from say 12 reps to 20 plus reps. Then every week I increased the poundage and naturally the reps to failure go lower. Hopefully at race time my reps to failure will be in the something like 8-12 reps range. Even using light weights but going to failure at high reps still can lead to burn out. I remember back then it worked fantastic when after a month or so I started using heavy weights. My strength for me was high.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2352 on: Today at 07:26:25 AM »
Still working out but mainly running. Lost two pounds the last two weeks. Just tired of the training logs. I'm on track to running 25 miles this week. Feeling little weak but the distance running is slowly improving. I have seen my heart rate go down almost every run but my times are slightly improving. I will pick up lifting next week.

I come up with a lot of ideas about lifting routines that never pan out but I have to see if it suits me. Trying to be a hybrid athlete for a 5K I want to run in July. I know right now I can win my age bracket in this little small town 5K but I want to run well and not well for a 65 year old. That's going to take plenty of work.

My idea for a hybrid training protocol is to emphasize the running but trying to find a way to keep my hand in lifting. I went way back in the training notebooks. Going to use my Yates inspired weight workouts of one set to failure per exercise.  The twist is I'm going to use lighter weights but still go to failure. Going back maybe 2 decades when I was doing the serious hybrid thing used very light weights so failure happened from say 12 reps to 20 plus reps. Then every week I increased the poundage and naturally the reps to failure go lower. Hopefully at race time my reps to failure will be in the something like 8-12 reps range. Even using light weights but going to failure at high reps still can lead to burn out. I remember back then it worked fantastic when after a month or so I started using heavy weights. My strength for me was high.
I remember years back a guy who was a Sgt in the PTI Corps said to me keep it simple. I now understand this years later

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2353 on: Today at 07:32:46 AM »
I remember years back a guy who was a Sgt in the PTI Corps said to me keep it simple. I now understand this years later

I enjoy all the options I have in my home gym and in commercial gyms. Truth be told if you want to be a strong athlete all you need is a barbell and squat stands.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2354 on: Today at 07:59:44 AM »
I enjoy all the options I have in my home gym and in commercial gyms. Truth be told if you want to be a strong athlete all you need is a barbell and squat stands.
I worked in Gyms as a trainer & honestly all i did was use the cross trainer for cardio. Serious cardio i did (at the time was running outside).
The Leg press was useful but not as effective as Squats in my home gym.
I saw pussy boys doing endless sets of tricep pushdowns but never parallel bar dips.