Author Topic: WWE ROYAL RUMBLE 2020  (Read 5796 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
WWE ROYAL RUMBLE 2020
« on: January 26, 2020, 06:03:35 PM »
I've been on a bit of a wrestling sabbatical, after that foolishness on Smackdown with Lesnar and Kingston and at Crown Jewel. But, since this marks 30 years from the time I saw the Royal Rumble live in Orlando, I thought I’d watch it this year.

I don't really have that much in the way of picks.

I just watch the Falls-Count-Anywhere match between Reigns and Corbin. Reigns got the win.

Now, it's the women's Royal Rumble. Molly Holly just entered at #3, as "Mighty Molly". Bianca Belair and Alexa Bliss are the first two in the match.

I guess I'll throw out a wild pick and give it to Charlotte Flair.

The other matches of which I'm aware:

WWE Universal Championship Match - Not-so-Carribean Strap Match: "The Fiend" Bray Wyatt (c) vs. Daniel Bryan. I don't know why Wyatt is suddenly invincible with his creepy-clown mask. But, I'd like to see a unification match at WM36. So, I'll go upset special and pick Bryan for the win.

RAW Women's Championship match: Becky Lynch (c) vs. Asuka. Asuka beat Lynch last year but got the participation trophy match at 'Mania for her efforts. That sets up this feud. The story is that Lynch has never beaten Asuka. But, she'll job to the man tonight.

Smackdown Women's Championship: Bayley (c) vs. Lacey Evans. The "Sassy Southern Belle" isn't so sassy as a babyface. So, I guess evil Dana Linn "Bayley" keeps her title.

Men's Royal Rumble Match Brock Lesnar is in it (at #1, no less). But his belt ain't on the line. So, my guess is that he'll win it and challenge the Universal Champion at 'Mania. Since WWE won't let Creepy Clown abuse Lesnar, the way he has Rollins, Ballor, et. al., it's why I picked Bryan to beat Wyatt for the Universal Strap.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: WWE ROYAL RUMBLE 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 06:22:55 PM »
Now, this is just plain silly. Apparently, I miss some romance angle between Mandy Rose and Otis of "Heavy Machinery". Rose got chucked over the top rope and landed on the apron. When another girl kicked her to the floor, Otis MAGICALLY appears underneath her. Since she landed on him and her feet didn't hit the floor, she's still in the Rumble match.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 08:22:18 PM »
Naomi is apparently the women's version of Kofi Kingston, as far as Rumbles go.

OH COME ON!! "SANTINA" Marella enters at #29, only to be cornered by Beth Phoenix and Natalya. So, "she" pulls the Cobra puppet out of "her" top and eliminates "herself" with it.

But, I guess my call was right after all. Charlotte Flair wins the Rumble.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 08:49:12 PM »
Bayley retains. Yawn!!

Now, I've learned that Wyatt has his own creepy clown version of the Universal title belt when he's "The Fiend". When he's plain Bray Wyatt, he has that blue belt. Strap match for the Universal Championship is next.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 06:49:10 AM »
Overall a good show....glad to see they finally went with Drew and they played it perfectly.
Charlotte deserved the women's rumble win, she IS the best on that female roster plain and simple. You can still have Charlotte challenge Bayley and Baszler challenge Becky for potential WM matches. Great performance by Bianca Belair from NXT lasting 33 minutes with 8 eliminations. Props to Beth Pheonix - she got busted open and her hair was red but she still toughed it out and lasted a while in the rumble.
Brock killed everyone which was expected and it was awesome.
Edge's unexpected return and one of the biggest pops of the night was amazing. Hope he gets that WM match he wanted. Not sure if his comeback is temporary or full time.
No Sasha Banks?
Agree, the Otis and Mandy thing is creepy.
Fiend versus Bryan, glad they got rid of that annoying red light. Overall a decent match but I expected more. Fiend won too easily. No interference. The creepy belt he has needs to go.
Baley vs Lacey - I expected more out of this match. Lacey was a bit overly ambitious at times and it hurt the timing of certain moves. Clean finish for Baley - nothing special here.
MVP in the rumble - looked like he was 85 years old.
Corbin vs Reigns in a fall count anywhere....I felt it dragged too long. Reigns picked up the win.
Overall a decent show. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 07:41:51 AM »
Overall a good show....glad to see they finally went with Drew and they played it perfectly.
Charlotte deserved the women's rumble win, she IS the best on that female roster plain and simple. You can still have Charlotte challenge Bayley and Baszler challenge Becky for potential WM matches. Great performance by Bianca Belair from NXT lasting 33 minutes with 8 eliminations. Props to Beth Pheonix - she got busted open and her hair was red but she still toughed it out and lasted a while in the rumble.
Brock killed everyone which was expected and it was awesome.
Edge's unexpected return and one of the biggest pops of the night was amazing. Hope he gets that WM match he wanted. Not sure if his comeback is temporary or full time.
No Sasha Banks?
Agree, the Otis and Mandy thing is creepy.
Fiend versus Bryan, glad they got rid of that annoying red light. Overall a decent match but I expected more. Fiend won too easily. No interference. The creepy belt he has needs to go.
Baley vs Lacey - I expected more out of this match. Lacey was a bit overly ambitious at times and it hurt the timing of certain moves. Clean finish for Baley - nothing special here.
MVP in the rumble - looked like he was 85 years old.
Corbin vs Reigns in a fall count anywhere....I felt it dragged too long. Reigns picked up the win.
Overall a decent show. 

I had reception issues and finished watching the Rumble late. McIntyre’s elimination of the Beast would have been better without the nut-shot from Ricochet. Lesnar won’t be having any more little beasts at this rate. And, as I said, Kofi Kingston is simply 2019’s Jinder Mahal.

But, if Mahal can be world champion, so can Drew McIntyre. He even took a double-RKO.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 06:49:02 AM »
I had reception issues and finished watching the Rumble late. McIntyre’s elimination of the Beast would have been better without the nut-shot from Ricochet. Lesnar won’t be having any more little beasts at this rate. And, as I said, Kofi Kingston is simply 2019’s Jinder Mahal.

But, if Mahal can be world champion, so can Drew McIntyre. He even took a double-RKO.
Wow, did you catch Raw last night? I thought Orton killed Edge...literally. What a great double cross by Orton and the crowd reaction was priceless. Chair shot after chair shot, concerto shot, rko....wow. There's your WM grudge match.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 08:25:20 AM »
Wow, did you catch Raw last night? I thought Orton killed Edge...literally. What a great double cross by Orton and the crowd reaction was priceless. Chair shot after chair shot, concerto shot, rko....wow. There's your WM grudge match.

Nope. I missed it. But, I'll check it out shortly.\

Edit - You could see that RKO coming a mile away. But the beatdown was "vintage Orton".

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 04:43:12 AM »
Nope. I missed it. But, I'll check it out shortly.\

Edit - You could see that RKO coming a mile away. But the beatdown was "vintage Orton".
At first I thought about it but when I saw them "sincerly hugging", I thought Nah...but when he hit that RKO the crowd reaction was priceless. But those chair shots...boy did I wince with each one...Edge's neck must be fine for them to even consider chair shots close to that region. Should be a good match for Mania. Orton plays a way better heel than face. Loved it when he was just sitting on the turn buckle deciding....that was priceless.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 11:50:33 AM »
At first I thought about it but when I saw them "sincerly hugging", I thought Nah...but when he hit that RKO the crowd reaction was priceless. But those chair shots...boy did I wince with each one...Edge's neck must be fine for them to even consider chair shots close to that region. Should be a good match for Mania. Orton plays a way better heel than face. Loved it when he was just sitting on the turn buckle deciding....that was priceless.

Indeed.

For the first time since 2006, we have a Rumble winner who has NOT been world champion (in WWE), prior to his win.

Did I mention I went to the Rumble 30 years ago in 1990?  ;D

McIntyre has chosen to take on Lesnar for the WWE World Title. And, notice that they've declared that McIntyre is in the main event of WrestleMania. So, that whole hullabaloo about women, main-eventing the big show last year was short-lived. How many more Flair vs. Lynch/Bayley matches can we take?

I may actually go to 'Mania this year, since it's only an hour and a half away from Orlando and in Ray-Jay (home of my favorite football team, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers).

I took my older son to WM24 for his birthday, which is in March (as was 'Mania that year). This year, I was taking my little boy to the showcase of the immortals. But my younger son's birthday is also in March and WM36 is on April 5.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 06:08:18 AM »
Indeed.

For the first time since 2006, we have a Rumble winner who has NOT been world champion (in WWE), prior to his win.

Did I mention I went to the Rumble 30 years ago in 1990?  ;D

McIntyre has chosen to take on Lesnar for the WWE World Title. And, notice that they've declared that McIntyre is in the main event of WrestleMania. So, that whole hullabaloo about women, main-eventing the big show last year was short-lived. How many more Flair vs. Lynch/Bayley matches can we take?

I may actually go to 'Mania this year, since it's only an hour and a half away from Orlando and in Ray-Jay (home of my favorite football team, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers).

I took my older son to WM24 for his birthday, which is in March (as was 'Mania that year). This year, I was taking my little boy to the showcase of the immortals. But my younger son's birthday is also in March and WM36 is on April 5.

Lol nice, I believe that was when Hogan and Warrior started their storyline leading up to WM6 which was my first WM event in Toronto  ;D I was only 15 at the time. I got lucky, they came back for WM18 with Hogan vs the Rock and that was awesome too. Not to many ppl can say they have been to a few WM's. Good for you man, go if you can and inhale it all in. I was curious if you were going as I remember you mentioning you attended a few years ago (when they had that bad piro incident).

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 09:53:39 AM »
Lol nice, I believe that was when Hogan and Warrior started their storyline leading up to WM6 which was my first WM event in Toronto  ;D I was only 15 at the time. I got lucky, they came back for WM18 with Hogan vs the Rock and that was awesome too. Not to many ppl can say they have been to a few WM's. Good for you man, go if you can and inhale it all in. I was curious if you were going as I remember you mentioning you attended a few years ago (when they had that bad piro incident).

When Hogan and Warrior were facing off, we all went NUTS!!! I think Hogan has just eliminated "The Model" Rick Martel and Warrior eliminated Shawn Michaels. As soon as Michaels went flying over the top. Warrior turns to Hogan and...............IT WAS ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!!! My seat was in front of a post; so, I had to keep moving my head to see the action. But, I had the time of my life.

I assume you live in Toronto, hence going to WM6 and WM18 at the Skydome was a local deal. Just the same way, I went to high school in Apopka, FL (which is a suburb of Orlando). I was 16 at the time of the 1990 Royal Rumble.

Indeed, my son and I were near the pyro accident at WM24 at the Citrus Bowl (again a local deal, since we live in Orlando). But, as you also may remember, I DID NOT go to WM33 (also in Orlando) because I didn't want to see 'Taker job to Reigns (especially when we all thought the Deadman was going to retire afterwards).

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 12:26:14 PM »
When Hogan and Warrior were facing off, we all went NUTS!!! I think Hogan has just eliminated "The Model" Rick Martel and Warrior eliminated Shawn Michaels. As soon as Michaels went flying over the top. Warrior turns to Hogan and...............IT WAS ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!!! My seat was in front of a post; so, I had to keep moving my head to see the action. But, I had the time of my life.

I assume you live in Toronto, hence going to WM6 and WM18 at the Skydome was a local deal. Just the same way, I went to high school in Apopka, FL (which is a suburb of Orlando). I was 16 at the time of the 1990 Royal Rumble.

Indeed, my son and I were near the pyro accident at WM24 at the Citrus Bowl (again a local deal, since we live in Orlando). But, as you also may remember, I DID NOT go to WM33 (also in Orlando) because I didn't want to see 'Taker job to Reigns (especially when we all thought the Deadman was going to retire afterwards).
Right on all counts. We are lucky that we both got to attend more then one Mania. Not too many people can even say they attended one.
Geez, right behind a post of all places? And they couldn't even compensate you with a better seat?

I hear you on the Undertaker thing...not sure what is going on with him this year either. There is no rumor or anything about him wrestling at this years WM. But with him, anything goes. He already up there in age so if he wants to actually have a final hurrah match, this is it. I hated the debacle with Cena. Made no sense whatsoever. 

cheftim

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 05:06:34 PM »
I finally got to watch it last night. Fast forwarded through the Reigns/Corbin Match. I enjoyed the entire event as RR has always been my favorite. The Beast did great. Rag dolling Braun and Keith Lee. I'll probably watch it again Sunday. I live in Asheville and see Edge around. Last time I saw him his face was super lean so I knew he was coming back. The Ultimate Opportunist looked amazing. Believe he and Owens can have a brilliant program together. It will be epic if Edge wins The Money in the Bank. Dumped all my WWE stock last April and loaded up yesterday at $46 and change. The Road to WM is the best time of year! Beast retains at Mania.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2020, 04:52:55 AM »
Well, looks like we are going to get an Undertaker versus A.J Styles match at WM. This should be interesting.