Author Topic: My Diet - Review It?  (Read 6578 times)

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
My Diet - Review It?
« on: June 16, 2021, 04:07:33 PM »
I' posting this here for the visibility.  If mods wish to move it to the Nutrition Board, if you could just keep it here for a few days to get some replies, I would appreciate it.  I will be starting this diet sometime between now and the end of the month, which leaves me two weeks to finetune this in any way before commencing it.

Since food doesn't serve as much utility for me as it does for some people, and since I've had a lot of time to reflect during this lockdown as to what I should do differently, I've decided to follow a planned diet for one of the first times in my life.  I've counted calories before, but never for very long.  Since I never competed in bodybuilding contests, I just ate whatever food kept me fairly lean, judging from the eye test.  I had other practical considerations as well, when my two oldest kids were smaller, and their diets more often became my own.

Since I compete at 175-lb [with a 3-lb weight allowance given], I don't need to worry about the massive caloric intake of much larger men.  I just find that results in more time in the bathroom, more flatulence, and just more taxing of your digestive system.  I just want to have a fit everyday look.  You know, the "health look", that numerous pro bodybuilders opt for after they retire.  ;D

I have a very good idea of how I look if my training is on point, but I'm curious what progress I will make, if any, if I maintain a strict diet for a consistent period of time.

MEAL BREAKDOWN - SAME MEALS EACH DAY...FOREVER...AND EVER, AND EVER, AND EVER...:

Approximate Macronutrients in Grams Per Meal: [x5 for Daily Total - Macro % of Total Calories in Brackets]:
Protein: 37g [185g - 50.5%].
Carbs: 25g [125g - 34.1%].
Fat: 5g [25g - 15.4%].

Meal 1
Protein: Protein powder = 37g.
Carbs: 1 cup oatmeal = 25g.
Fat: 1 tbsp. peanut butter = 4g.

Meal 2
Protein: 4 oz. chicken breast = 32g.
Carbs: 2 slices rye bread = 32g.
Fat: 33 oz. peanuts = 4g.

Meal 3
Protein: 4.5 oz. chicken breast = 36g.
Carbs: 1/2 cup rice = 25g.
Fat: 25 oz. cashews = 3.5g.

Meal 4
Carbs: 1 cup of oatmeal = 27g.
Fat: ½ tbsp. peanut butter = 4g.

Meal 5:
Protein: 5 oz. halibut = 36g.
Carbs: 1 cup lettuce and 1 cup broccoli with 2 tbsp. fat-free dressing = 30g.
Fat: 2 oz. olives = 8g.

^ Total calories = 1,480.

I have a pretty slow metabolism, but a VERY small appetite, so I seldom eat more than 1,200 to 1,500 calories a day.  A bit more on some days.  I'm staying in my usual range...just cleaning it up a little.

The figures above are very close to the protein/carbs/fat = 37/25/5 projection [1,465 calories] at the start of the text. It's hard to have everything fit perfectly.

*Calorie-free juice + water will be added.

**Start weight [range] is 186-lb to 188-lb, depending on time, hydration/satiety level, etc.

***I will be hypertrophy [bodybuilding] training 3-5 days per week. I will be doing 25 minutes of elevated heart rate cardio per day on ALL bodybuilding off-days. I may be training HIIT style, with some concern for injury. I cannot train strongman now, due to lack of practical access.

What do you make of this? Is there anything you recommend adding here, be it additional food items, or supplemental vitamins? I am posting this here to confirm that I didn't leave anything monumental out.

I am going to double check online to confirm that this diet meets all of the required nutrients as per Health Canada's recommendations.  I don't imagine this is lacking in any nutrients, although I do think it may be a touch low on the fat intake, in which case, I would reduce carbohydrates to ramp up the fats a little.

I will start with this diet, and adjust it depending on what results I get.  I know my body fairly well, so I am pretty confident this diet will serve me well [or this diet with some slight adjustments - hopefully anything caught here by any of the numerous knowledgeable members around these parts].

As to how I intend to look - I'm realistic about that, and I've worked out long enough to have a very good idea of how I can look at my best, and it's nothing special at all, and even when I'm lean, my stomach is still a trouble area.  I think I can improve slightly on the photo below, but I don't think that much, and I want to be within reach of my BMI weight, which being around my competition weight [175-lb] allows me to do.

This is a photo of me at 170-lb, and if I can maintain this look, I'm fine with that.  I'm turning 40 in just over six months, so I really know better than to expect some radical results...and it's not like I'm going to be reborn with new genetics all of a sudden, or anything like that.  I am 187-lb now, and I am just around the 170-lb mark here, and I think I will land somewhere around here, since this wasn't too long ago:

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: My Diet - Review It?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 04:14:03 PM »
Don`t count calories unless you know damn well you are pigging out too much.

Better to count macros IMO.....1 gram of protein per pound of lean bodyweight and cycle your carbs keeping fats ( 9 calories per gram to a minimum)........IMO you`ll get enough fat from your eating plan.

Of course there are tons of variables such as activity rate, metabolic rate,type of foods ingested (eat clean for 3 days straight,then have one cheat meal on the fourth day and on the 7th. day eat whatever you want to but keep portions small and don`t be ridiculous.....keep it sane)...this makes a "DIET" a lot easier to stick to plus it`s no longer a diet it`s an eating regimen.

DO CARDIO NO MATTER WHAT YOUR GOAL IS.

GymnJuice

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 04:24:00 PM »
What is the point of using protein powder in two of your meals instead of real food?

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 04:30:33 PM »
1500 daily calories is starvation level you won't have any energy to train. This is the anorexia plan not bodybuilding. You are turning 40 for fuck sake eat some real food enjoy your life and train stop starving yourself. I just put a 1400 calorie meatloaf in the oven I am planning to eat for dinner by myself. What are you competing in Death? You left out a very monumental thing FOOD and you are almost 190lbs and want to lost 20lbs stop the nonsense you are 40 your body wants to weigh 190lbs. You need to recomposition that 190lbs to a lean 190lbs you are never going to hold and maintain 170lbs you will just be dieting then yo you back to 190 again and again and again.

Stop thinking you can starve yourself into shape. Start eating and training to a lean 190lbs. Also with all these low calorie low carb low fat high protein diets your body will just wind up using the protein for energy so you will still lose muscle despite keeping protein high as carbs and fat are protein sparring

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 04:32:23 PM »
I' posting this here for the visibility.  If mods wish to move it to the Nutrition Board, if you could just keep it here for a few days to get some replies, I would appreciate it.  I will be starting this diet sometime between now and the end of the month, which leaves me two weeks to finetune this in any way before commencing it.

Since food doesn't serve as much utility for me as it does for some people, and since I've had a lot of time to reflect during this lockdown as to what I should do differently, I've decided to follow a planned diet for one of the first times in my life.  I've counted calories before, but never for very long.  Since I never competed in bodybuilding contests, I just ate whatever food kept me fairly lean, judging from the eye test.  I had other practical considerations as well, when my two oldest kids were smaller, and their diets more often became my own.

Since I compete at 175-lb [with a 3-lb weight allowance given], I don't need to worry about the massive caloric intake of much larger men.  I just find that results in more time in the bathroom, more flatulence, and just more taxing of your digestive system.  I just want to have a fit everyday look.  You know, the "health look", that numerous pro bodybuilders opt for after they retire.  ;D

I have a very good idea of how I look if my training is on point, but I'm curious what progress I will make, if any, if I maintain a strict diet for a consistent period of time.

MEAL BREAKDOWN - SAME MEALS EACH DAY...FOREVER...AND EVER, AND EVER, AND EVER...:

Approximate Macronutrients in Grams Per Meal: [x5 for Daily Total - Macro % of Total Calories in Brackets]:

Meal 1

Meal 2

Meal 3

Meal 4

Meal 5:

I have a pretty slow metabolism, but a VERY small appetite, so I seldom eat more than 1,200 to 1,500 calories a day.  A bit more on some days.  I'm staying in my usual range...just cleaning it up a little.

The figures above are very close to the protein/carbs/fat = 37/25/5 projection [1,465 calories] at the start of the text. It's hard to have everything fit perfectly.

**Start weight [range] is 186-lb to 188-lb, depending on time, hydration/satiety level, etc.

***I will be hypertrophy [bodybuilding] training 3-5 days per week. I will be doing 25 minutes of elevated heart rate cardio per day on ALL bodybuilding off-days. I may be training HIIT style, with some concern for injury. I cannot train strongman now, due to lack of practical access.

What do you make of this? Is there anything you recommend adding here, be it additional food items, or supplemental vitamins? I am posting this here to confirm that I didn't leave anything monumental out.

I am going to double check online to confirm that this diet meets all of the required nutrients as per Health Canada's recommendations.  I don't imagine this is lacking in any nutrients, although I do think it may be a touch low on the fat intake, in which case, I would reduce carbohydrates to ramp up the fats a little.

I will start with this diet, and adjust it depending on what results I get.  I know my body fairly well, so I am pretty confident this diet will serve me well [or this diet with some slight adjustments - hopefully anything caught here by any of the numerous knowledgeable members around these parts].

As to how I intend to look - I'm realistic about that, and I've worked out long enough to have a very good idea of how I can look at my best, and it's nothing special at all, and even when I'm lean, my stomach is still a trouble area.  I think I can improve slightly on the photo below, but I don't think that much, and I want to be within reach of my BMI weight, which being around my competition weight [175-lb] allows me to do.

This is a photo of me at 170-lb, and if I can maintain this look, I'm fine with that.  I'm turning 40 in just over six months, so I really know better than to expect some radical results...and it's not like I'm going to be reborn with new genetics all of a sudden, or anything like that.  I am 187-lb now, and I am just around the 170-lb mark here, and I think I will land somewhere around here, since this wasn't too long ago:

What are your goals?

Les Grossman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 04:45:13 PM »
You are going to eat 33 ounces of peanuts and 25 ounces of cashews a day at 40 years old?

The entire thread is attention whoring.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 04:47:23 PM »
You are going to eat 33 ounces of peanuts and 25 ounces of cashews a day at 40 years old?

The entire thread is attention whoring.
He`s nutty !  ;D

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 04:47:31 PM »
Good post, Matt.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 04:48:56 PM »
Good post, Matt.
Did Matt make another post ???

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 04:50:38 PM »

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2021, 05:08:25 PM »
Decent, but why limit yourself to chicken and halibut?

Eating beef, pork, salmon, tilapia, etc. will make zero difference.

You aren't getting ready for the Olympia.

Spice it up a bit.

Ditch the two protein shakes a day and replace one with food.

Lettuce? It's useless, use spinach and greens. Cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado, carrots, etc.

Where are the eggs?

Rye bread? Why not potatoes/yams?

You are killing yourself, this is a horrible diet, unless you enjoy mundane suffering on a daily basis.

webstar

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2021, 06:26:15 PM »

Meal 1

Meal 2

Meal 3

Meal 4

Meal 5:

are you sure your marcos are right?

1 cup of oatmeal raw measure is 50-55 grams of carbs.. assuming you mean raw measure

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2021, 08:19:33 PM »
Don`t count calories unless you know damn well you are pigging out too much.

Better to count macros IMO.....1 gram of protein per pound of lean bodyweight and cycle your carbs keeping fats ( 9 calories per gram to a minimum)........IMO you`ll get enough fat from your eating plan.

Of course there are tons of variables such as activity rate, metabolic rate,type of foods ingested (eat clean for 3 days straight,then have one cheat meal on the fourth day and on the 7th. day eat whatever you want to but keep portions small and don`t be ridiculous.....keep it sane)...this makes a "DIET" a lot easier to stick to plus it`s no longer a diet it`s an eating regimen.

DO CARDIO NO MATTER WHAT YOUR GOAL IS.

Thanks wes - many years ago, I told myself I would start doing cardio at age 40 - which is just around the corner.  But I started early due to the lockdowns and everything.  In my twenties, I couldn't gain any sort of weight [muscle or even fat - I just couldn't put on weight, and could go just a few days eating normally, rather than the permabulker type of diet I was attempting, and I would lose weight].  In my thirties, I found I was able to maintain muscle a little more easily, and only at around age 35 or so [the past five years, more or less] was I able to actually make gains if I committed to doing so.

Unfortunately, after years of going nowhere, I sort of lost the motivation to do so.  There is also one other issue - I can make muscle gains faster than before [or muscle memory re-gains], but I can also gain fat easily.

The GOOD news is, if I put myself on a strict-ish diet, I can look my personal best [my OP photo - which is roughly where I max out, before I start getting much fatter in the stomach].  And I have never tried a more significantly strict diet, for an extended period of time.

It would my goal to see if I can reach just a touch leaner than the photo above at the same weight.  So...I would still likely be around the 170-lb range, but my stomach would be a bit tighter.  I really think I can do this - and it would nice to get there "on the eve of my 40th birthday".  Like Dave Pulcinella did for the first "Raising the Bar" documentary, leading up to his 40th birthday:

I will keep in mind what you said about cardio and sufficient protein intake, and I will go look at some carb cycling videos on YouTube tonight.

wes - if a person can tolerate going without a cheat meal, would you say that's fine?  I find with me, I'm just...not very hungry.  I don't get the same cravings for bad food, and even though I am by no means the leanest guy, I have actually been in low level ketosis my entire life.  Yeah - go figure.  I just don't eat much [which explains my appearance].  So I have always been just a touch into ketosis.

Or would you say cheat meals are essential to keep your sanity, even if you don't crave them?

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2021, 08:25:19 PM »
What is the point of using protein powder in two of your meals instead of real food?

Good question.  No reason at all really, except that I still have a tub of protein powder that has some left.  That, and...protein powder is pretty concentrated in protein and decent tasting compared to other foods, and is convenient.  Egg whites would be a good alternative, but more mundane to eat [although my entire diet will be mundane, and I'm fine with that].

Is there a particular reason to avoid protein powder?  If I had to think of a benefit - I think drinking a chocolatey drink may trick my brain into thinking I am getting an actual snack.  For instance, when I do get hungry, I find that I can drink a calorie-free drink packet, and my body confuses it for actual food.

I'm not sure how long that trick would last before my body adjusts to it, but I think that trick could be extended by adding a small quantity of real food to the calorie-free drink - so that your body is getting some real calories, then the drink to trick it into thinking it is getting more calories than you actually took in.

So that may be a bit of a benefit.  But no reason, really.  I just have some chocolate protein powder left to use up.

Do you suggest replacing it with a real food source once I run out?  Is there anything particularly bad about protein powder, or is it that it is inferior compared to whole foods, or just a gimmick to make the supplement industry money?

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2021, 08:48:56 PM »
Good question.  No reason at all really, except that I still have a tub of protein powder that has some left.  That, and...protein powder is pretty concentrated in protein and decent tasting compared to other foods, and is convenient.  Egg whites would be a good alternative, but more mundane to eat [although my entire diet will be mundane, and I'm fine with that].

Is there a particular reason to avoid protein powder?  If I had to think of a benefit - I think drinking a chocolatey drink may trick my brain into thinking I am getting an actual snack.  For instance, when I do get hungry, I find that I can drink a calorie-free drink packet, and my body confuses it for actual food.

I'm not sure how long that trick would last before my body adjusts to it, but I think that trick could be extended by adding a small quantity of real food to the calorie-free drink - so that your body is getting some real calories, then the drink to trick it into thinking it is getting more calories than you actually took in.

So that may be a bit of a benefit.  But no reason, really.  I just have some chocolate protein powder left to use up.

Do you suggest replacing it with a real food source once I run out?  Is there anything particularly bad about protein powder, or is it that it is inferior compared to whole foods, or just a gimmick to make the supplement industry money?

Matt you blubbering twink.

You take your protein straight from the tap.

Take your protein powder and put it in a ziplock sandwich bag, then stick it up your ass like a two pound suppository.

Then get off the fucking internet and go spend some time with your kids.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2021, 08:54:48 PM »

Meal 1

Meal 2

Meal 3

Meal 4

Meal 5:

Looks pretty good to me. I would throw in some vegetables, legumes, and even some occasional fruit. Also look to replacing some of the proteins shakes with either egg or cheese.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2021, 08:56:10 PM »
If you're going to eat that low calorie, why not just eat 2x a day and save yourself the time, and get the benefits of IF?
Y

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2021, 09:03:55 PM »
If you're going to eat that low calorie, why not just eat 2x a day and save yourself the time, and get the benefits of IF?

Because he has no clue what he’s talking about.

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2021, 09:22:28 PM »
Did Matt make another post ???

Once again - there are a few of you starting to put racist comments into your posts.

This is not tolerated.

If you continue, and this is your warning, you will be put in Time Out mode and banned...

That also goes for PM's...

While we all have heated arguements, I am in no mood for the racist stuff....

go somewhere else if you continue...

seriously now...

;D

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2021, 10:38:05 PM »
My diet
6 whole eggs and 3 ribeye steaks

Now , wasnt that easier than a whole wall of text..

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2021, 11:04:51 PM »
My diet

Add in a little oatmeal, veggies and potatoes. I'm not far from that.

Lean and mean, happy and healthy.

No need to suffer with boring shit.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2021, 11:11:25 PM »
My diet

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2021, 11:12:42 PM »
My diet

But you’re not jealous of the attention the bhank gimmick is getting and spastic Matt is.

nzgs

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2021, 01:23:54 AM »
Severe lack of animal fats and really excessive amount of junk fats (peanut butter, nuts etc). Too much focus on macros rather than micros. Feels like reading a diet from the 1990s.

ChevChelios

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2021, 01:38:16 AM »
1500 kcal for a man is retarded,no matter which way you judge it. I tried 1500kcal for getting into great shape and i could barely lift weights, felt like shit and no mood to do anything. Better have a decent diet year-round than suffer for 3 months with 1500kcal daily...
GETBIG!