Author Topic: BB Meals for less than £1/$1.50? Check out BigCyp's Frugal Fitness Part One!  (Read 29728 times)

Army of One

• Getbig V
Good stuff, those banana pancakes look great, beats the tired routine of egg whites

BigCyp

• Getbig V
Good stuff, those banana pancakes look great, beats the tired routine of egg whites

They taste really good, for the little effort that goes into them. Also a great way to get a balanced brekkie for 75p!!!

Army of One

• Getbig V
They taste really good, for the little effort that goes into them. Also a great way to get a balanced brekkie for 75p!!!

Will be trying them ASAP, toughest thing is finding "clean" foods that don't bore the shit out of you

BigCyp

• Getbig V
Will be trying them ASAP, toughest thing is finding "clean" foods that don't bore the shit out of you

That's why I started the thread to be honest. I've found so many ways of making basic ingredients taste good / mixing it up a little (mainly because my family have been through some very financially tight times) Hopefully people catch on and share some pics/recipes also

booty

• Getbig V
The banana pancakes look amazing.  I am going to give them a go for sure.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
The banana pancakes look amazing.  I am going to give them a go for sure.

They have a really nice texture. I actually prefer them with only 3 eggs as you get more of a 'cakey' feel to them lol. I'm sure you've got some great ideas for cheap BB meals booty?

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
I've tried to bake pancakes made of oats in the past, but they were too fragile. Combining oats with brown flour seems to work better.
To make things easy, I add cinnamon to the batter.

booty

• Getbig V
They have a really nice texture. I actually prefer them with only 3 eggs as you get more of a 'cakey' feel to them lol. I'm sure you've got some great ideas for cheap BB meals booty?
Cakey sounds devine.    ;D  You know I used to do this baked potatoe and put tuna on it with sour cream and some baked beans.   :-[  It's embarrassing to admit it because it doesn't sound good but I made it for one of my girlfriends and she really liked it.  

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Brutal starting a  second  thread about a three post thread.

Those look good, but I would end up drinking the mixture and be done with it.
Y

bigmc

• Getbig V
big cyp forgetting to take his anti-e's in this thread
T

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
1.Simple Banana Protein Pancakes – 75p/$1
(30g protein, 35g carbs, 20g fat, 440 kcals)

What you’ll need: 1 banana, 4 whole eggs, ½ cup dry oats (cinnamon/mixed spice to taste if you need it)

Simply throw everything in a blender and blitz until smooth and put a small pan on a low heat with a splash of oil/butter/low kcal spray. Pour in around 1/3 of the mixture once the pan’s hot and give it a few minutes on each side until nicely browned. Sprinkle with cinnamon/splenda/whatever you prefer and start eating the first one, while you browse the G&O board and cook the rest! These have a lovely texture to them and the mix of oat & banana reminds me of my wife's banana loaf, yum.

Cut the yolks for a low fat/lower calories option, or reduce the oats to 1/4 cup to bring it down to around 26g if dieting with low carbs. If you need 600kcals for breakfast, make enough for another pancake!

Should look something like this:

(Eggs: 15 for £1.89 Aldi, Rolled Oats: 1kg for £0.60 Aldi, Bananas: 8 for £0.69p Aldi - you could eat these for breakfast every day of the week for only £4.50)

Interesting..

Please continue to share some of your other recipes.

I am always willing to try new culinary delights. I don't see how this would cost less than $1.50 (I think the four eggs alone would cost over at least a dollar, but nonetheless sounds like fun!

"1"

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino

OMR - I think the math works - a dozen eggs is generally around $2 by me, so 4 is only 66 cents, bananas are cheap, and a half up of oats is miniscule.
Y

BigCyp

• Getbig V

Boom!

Thanks GA, it's which supermarket you source the food from that counts, not the actual food itself. 8 Bananas at M&S here will set you back around £1.50, the same amount costing just over HALF that at ALDI/LIDL.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
big cyp forgetting to take his anti-e's in this thread

Hahaha, have no fear bigmc it's all an elaborate cover up to unleash a single line of brutal ownage  ;D

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
OMR - I think the math works - a dozen eggs is generally around $2 by me, so 4 is only 66 cents.

:o

Wow, those are astronomical savings! Here in new York City, a dozen eggs go for $7.00.

I usually shop at the Food Emporium..

"1"

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
:o

Wow, those are astronomical savings! Here in new York City, a dozen eggs go for $7.00.

I usually shop at the Food Emporium..

"1"

I assume that everything is more expensive in NY, not only the housing prices or the cabs, correct?

BigCyp

• Getbig V
This next installment was inspired by a recipe on my sister's food blog, which I've amended a tad to up the protein content. With protein comes extra pennies, however at 24p a burger I'm sure no one will be complaining to the moderators!

2. Egg, Carrot, & Kidney Bean burgers with a hint of curry  - £0.64p/ 98 cents (makes 4)
(35g protein, 44g carbs, 12g fat, 600 kcals/150 per patty)

What you'll need: 1 can of red kidney beans, 2 eggs (whole), 1 large carrot, 1 sm onion, heaped teaspoon of hot curry powder, 1 tablespoon dry oats, sm handful coriander (optional) salt/pepper to taste.

1. Drain the can of beans and rinse thoroughly in cold water (gets rid of gloopy 'tinny' taste) throw them in a small pan and cover with boiling water and simmer for 10 minutes to soften them.

2. While they are boiling, finely chop the onion, grate the carrot, and add coriander and curry powder with a little salt and pepper. Saute in a frying pan with a little oil/butter/no kcal spray and stir until the onion softens (usually 4-5 mins) and remove from heat.

3. Once the beans have softened, drain away all the liquid and add to a bowl along with the carrot and onions. At this point add 2 egg whites, 2 whole eggs, and a large tablespoon of oats. Mash it all together with a fork/potato masher until you have a smoothish consistency

4. Heat a drop of oil in a pan on a medium heat, and spoon the mixture into 4 large patties (at this point you'll need to keep 'shaping' the patties for 30 seconds so they hold their shape). Cook each side for around 5 minutes on each side until browned/your sure the egg's cooked (handle gently while turning!).

5. Serve hot with your favourite complex carbohydrates - you could even bake a few sweet potatoes and have Pat Banya round for tea!  ;D (I just eat all 4 four on their own with some hot sauce)

My sisters version:

(Eggs: £1.35 for 15 - Aldi, Kidney Beans 21p Sainsbury/Tesco, Carrot 8p loose Sainsbury, Onion 8p loose Sainsbury, Oil 5p, Oats 2p)

Amended price

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
I assume that everything is more expensive in NY, not only the housing prices or the cabs, correct?

Housing prices are insane.  For instance, buying a studio apartment (condo or coop) in Manhattan, will easily cost you $1-1.5 million.

Cabs are just as ridiculous. The moment you step into a cab, there is a $2.50 surcharge that is already incurred. If you ride the cab at night time, it is an extra $.50 surcharge. Not to mention that you can now use credit cards to pay for your fare, but what most people don't realize is that you get charge an extra small fee (<$2.00) just to use the credit card option.

Prices are insane here. Our prices are on par with some parts of California.

"1"

BigCyp

• Getbig V
Housing prices are insane.  For instance, buying a studio apartment (condo or coop) in Manhattan, will easily cost you $1-1.5 million.

Cabs are just as ridiculous. The moment you step into a cab, there is a $2.50 surcharge that is already incurred. If you ride the cab at night time, it is an extra $.50 surcharge. Not to mention that you can now use credit cards to pay for your fare, but what most people don't realize is that you get charge an extra small fee (<$2.00) just to use the credit card option.

"1"

Those prices are insane to little old me living near the seaside!

Out of interest OMR, how close could you live to NYC, without having to pay for premium everything?

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas

"1"

It's always wise to talk with a local, before you get 'robbed' as a naive tourist ;D
Being a Dutchman myself it's good to see those bike lanes :)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
It's always wise to talk with a local, before you get 'robbed' as a naive tourist ;D
Being a Dutchman myself it's good to see those bike lanes :)

what is typical dutch cuisine btw?

BigCyp

• Getbig V

Hash cakes, pizza, and the pussies of whores?

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas

Stamppot! The current generation hates it, but the oldies grew up with it.

unprepared:

mixed / stamppot-style:

Pannenkoeken as well (Pan cakes, Dutch style)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
Hash cakes, pizza, and the pussies of whores?

so that's how these dutch cows got so big-boned :-X