Getbig Main Boards > Politics and Political Issues Board

Will Americans discriminate again based on religion in the Presidential race?

(1/10) > >>

Cap:
If Rudy Guiliani wins the Republican nomination, will he lose the Presidential race based on the fact that he is Catholic?  As a Catholic I think he would.  I wonder if he was a Democrat like Kennedy if it would be less of an issue.  Hmmm.

Sure there are other things like him being pro choice, pro gay rights and pro gun control will possible ding his candidacy but I think this will be a big issue because people in America sure do not like the idea of a Catholic being in power.

Hedgehog:
Good point.

I remember some years ago when some politician was "outed" as an Atheist. She was burned.

-Hedge

240 is Back:

--- Quote from: cap86 on February 12, 2007, 08:16:07 AM ---If Rudy Guiliani wins the Republican nomination, will he lose the Presidential race based on the fact that he is Catholic?  As a Catholic I think he would.  I wonder if he was a Democrat like Kennedy if it would be less of an issue.  Hmmm.

Sure there are other things like him being pro choice, pro gay rights and pro gun control will possible ding his candidacy but I think this will be a big issue because people in America sure do not like the idea of a Catholic being in power.

--- End quote ---

2006 showed that none of these issues matter in comparison to the war.

You add two MORE years of a pro-war republican saying "We're in the war and you can't stop us".

There's a lot of resentment motivating people to vote anti-war.  2000 and 2004 were virgin tight even when there was no divisive issue.  In 2008, with things as they are, people would put a purple dinosaur into office it means stopping 4 more years of the Repub bullies.

Cap:

--- Quote from: 240 is Back on February 12, 2007, 08:59:02 AM ---2006 showed that none of these issues matter in comparison to the war.

You add two MORE years of a pro-war republican saying "We're in the war and you can't stop us".

There's a lot of resentment motivating people to vote anti-war.  2000 and 2004 were virgin tight even when there was no divisive issue.  In 2008, with things as they are, people would put a purple dinosaur into office it means stopping 4 more years of the Repub bullies.

--- End quote ---
So do you contend that supporting the war makes all Republicans bullies?  That's pretty narrow minded.

240 is Back:

--- Quote from: cap86 on February 12, 2007, 09:07:06 AM --- So do you contend that supporting the war makes all Republicans bullies?  That's pretty narrow minded.

--- End quote ---

Dick Cheney said that even if 99% of Americans didn't support the war, NOTHING would change about his policy. 

THAT is a bully move.  "I'm vice president and they're not".  He said that too.

Yes, people resent that shit.  Especially when only 25% of America backs the war surge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version