Author Topic: Flexibility training?  (Read 3311 times)

bigguns175

• Getbig II
Flexibility training?
« on: January 12, 2007, 07:46:16 AM »
Anyone have any tips on getting more flexible?  Does anyone incorporate alot of streching or do streching sessions, how long and how often?

Deadpool

• Getbig V
Re: Flexibility training?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 08:02:31 AM »
not from bodybuilding but from martial arts.  sure.  there's actually a good book that has been out for a while.  I think it's simply called stretching, and it's by Bob Anderson, with lots of illustrations

even Arnold has a section on stretching in his Encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding.

the best most fun way for you if you are a guy is to go to yoga class.  lots of inshape women there for visual effects, and sometimes they even have a heated room for it to help your stretch, plus it's free or very low cost if you do it through your gym.

don't bounce when you stretch, that can tear the muscle.  the only exception is sometimes carefully on the butterfly stretch to gain range of motion
X

bigguns175

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 03:45:04 PM »
lol, i tryed that yoga stuff already, was virtually impossible.  I was in pain within like 2 minutes and I could only do like 3 of the holds properly.  I like that one machine that you sit on and use your bodyweight to strech you but my gym at school doesn't have it, so I'm looking for new ways.  I'm very unflexible and thick and stubby,  I really don't see myself being able to get more flexible unless I dedicate some special training to it but it's impossible without a partner or that machine.  I really need to though so i can, lengthen the muscles, lessen the chance of injury, increase the ability to do common tasks...

I need motivation to do it too, i hate it, so boring and cumbersome.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 09:29:51 AM »
stretch while watching TV (yes sometimes you can't see the screen )

there is a certain Zenness to stretching, that's why it's attached to yoga, etc...most gyms like Gold's have beginning yoga and a high percentage of females in the class
X