Author Topic: Controversial Trump-era child migrant facility opens under Biden....  (Read 605 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Controversial Trump-era child migrant facility opens under Biden, this time with little protest

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/child-migrant-facility-biden-little-protest?fbclid=IwAR0MDzVx9i64Xe4FjQGJCPwYM_l8A9hE8yV9Ixzz1pCiYnZqgZRkmzf89lU

The child migrant facility at the center of protests and controversy over the summer of 2019 has become the first child-holding facility to open under the Biden administration.

“It’s unnecessary, it’s costly, and it goes absolutely against everything [President] Biden promised he was going to do,” said Linda Brandmiller, a Texas immigration lawyer for unaccompanied children. “It’s a step backward, is what it is. It’s a huge step backward.”

Dozens of migrant teenagers were bused to the facility Monday as permanent holding facilities struggled with lower capacity limits during the coronavirus pandemic and a wave of new cases of unaccompanied children attempting to cross the border.

But while the Carrizo Springs temporary facility opened with little controversy this time, the same site was the stage for protests against former President Donald Trump’s immigration policies when it opened in the summer of 2019.

Recommended For You
States set for clash with Biden administration over transgender athletes
Bob Woodward appraises DOJ inspector general uncovering FBI's FISA 'glorious mistake'
Elon Musk takes apparent jab at 'puppet master' Jeff Bezos with 'mic drop' comment
CRUZ SLAMS BIDEN ADMINISTRATION IMMIGRATION POLICIES AMID SURGE IN UNACCOMPANIED MINORS

"This is a travesty and a crime against humanity," said Cheasty Anderson, the senior policy director for the Children's Defense Fund of Texas and one of about 100 protesters of the facility at the time. "We must raise our voices and cry out with one voice today, tomorrow, and everyday until this is over."

The facility generated so much controversy during the first opening that employees of online furniture retailer Wayfair walked out in protest after it was discovered that the company sold about $200,000 in beds and other furniture to the facility.

“We’re walking out in protest of our leadership’s decision to sell to reprehensible concentration camps," one employee said of the walkout. "We had hoped that raising awareness would be enough for them to do the right thing, but it wasn’t. We want to make it clear that this is not a political issue — it’s a humanitarian issue, and we will not back down.”

Although the facilities received much criticism under the Trump administration, Department of Health and Human Services spokesman Mark Weber said that children placed at the facility receive good care, something that has not changed between administrations.

“If we could find another way, that’d be great,” Weber said. “On the flip side, these kids just come in, and they’re turned loose on the street — they end up being homeless kids.”

Permanent child migrant facilities are subject to state licensing requirements to ensure that the children housed there receive proper treatment, something not required of temporary facilities like the newly reopened Carrizo center. Weber said the facility would “meet or exceed” Texas licensing standards, though they are more expensive to operate than the permanent centers.

But the promise of humane treatment wasn’t enough for Rosey Abuabara, a San Antonio community activist who protested the opening of the facility in 2019. The reopening of the facility has the activist wondering if things will really change as promised with a new administration.

“When I read they were opening again, I cried,” Abuabara said. “I consoled myself with the fact that it was considered the Cadillac of [migrant child] centers, but I don’t have any hope that Biden is going to make it better.”

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
Re: Controversial Trump-era child migrant facility opens under Biden....
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 02:02:13 PM »
Nothing to see here, move along.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 02:27:30 PM »
Wow, when the new administration has to actually deal with what the old one did, they start acting similar.

Who'd have thunk it?
Y

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 02:40:48 PM »
Wow, when the new administration has to actually deal with what the old one did, they start acting similar.

Who'd have thunk it?

I'd be interested to hear what the rationale would be for doing it.   Did anything change?

Was it because these people would be out on the street?  I donno.

Or is this just a good example of how powerful the media is coupled with the fact that anything or anyone can be used as political pawns?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 03:29:46 PM »
I'd be interested to hear what the rationale would be for doing it.   Did anything change?

Was it because these people would be out on the street?  I donno.

Or is this just a good example of how powerful the media is coupled with the fact that anything or anyone can be used as political pawns?

Points 2 and 3.

Per Psaki, they had limited options.

But 3 is exactly what I said would happen - if Biden won, things would appear more normal because the media wouldn't be in constant attack mode.
Y

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 04:53:31 PM »
The media is the deadliest virus in America.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!