Author Topic: Motorcyclist Killed While Riding Without Helmet to Protest New York Helmet Law  (Read 5489 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Pretty ironic way to die.  These helmet laws are sort of big brotherish, but they do save lives. 

Motorcyclist Killed While Riding Without Helmet to Protest New York Helmet Law
Published July 03, 2011
Associated Press

ONONDAGA, N.Y. -- Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.

State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.

Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/03/motorcyclist-killed-while-riding-without-helmet-to-protest-new-york-helmet-law/?test=latestnews

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Didn't something similar happen to Gary Busey? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Didn't something similar happen to Gary Busey?  

Yep.

Gary Busey ministers to brain injury community
By W. Reed Moran, Spotlight Health
With medical adviser Jonathan M. Sackier, M.D.

No one knows better than Gary Busey that life's road takes unexpected turns. "I had a nearly fatal motorcycle accident on Dec. 4, 1988," says the actor and musician. "And almost no one expected me to recover."

But Busey was able to come back from the brink, and today he says he's compelled to spread his message of caution. "I want people to understand that life is very important. And that if you're riding a motorcycle, skateboard, or bicycle without a helmet, you're challenging the face of death."

Riding without a helmet is a gamble everyone is bound to lose, sooner or later, he says. "When the odds finally catch up with you, fate will steal your life and the hearts of everyone who loves you."

Busey had just picked up his bike at a repair shop when he slid on a patch of gravel at 40 mph, flipped over the handlebars, and hit his unprotected head on a curb.

"I landed at the feet of a police officer and was rushed to an emergency room with a hole in my head the size of a half dollar," he says.

Doctors subsequently told Busey that had he arrived even three minutes later, he would not have survived. As it was, Busey fell into a coma for over four weeks, while family and friends stood by his side.

"I remember being aware of only two things during that ordeal," says Busey. "The first was that I entered and returned from a spiritual realm, and that experience has been the foundation of my faith ever since. The second, and equally important experience was feeling the healing love and support of the people who surrounded me."

Busey regained consciousness on Jan. 6, 1989, and although heavily medicated, his will to live and recover surfaced almost immediately. And to the astonishment of the medical staff, Busey left the hospital under his own power only five weeks later.

After a period of recuperation and rehabilitation, Busey returned to his film career and has since worked continuously as an advocate for traumatic injury treatment and prevention.

. . .

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/spotlight/2001-07-05-busey-brain-injury.htm

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
i dunno that i'd assume busey 'recovered'.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
So millions of us should legally have to wear a helmet because a few people die without helmets each year?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
i'd say make it under 21 has to wear a helmet.

if you're really into bikes, wear it during those years you have the least experience.

most *smart* bikers who like going fast will wear the kevlar, like our own kh300.  

if you're under 21, and you don't wear a helmet, your license is suspended, UNTIL you're 21.  OH- and the bike gets AUTOMATICALLY confiscated and auctioned - no matter the owner.  See how many people lend their bike out to a kid then...    problem solved.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
That's the sad part about our society really.  We need helmet laws because people can't figure out for themselves that not wearing one is more dangerous. 

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
That's the sad part about our society really.  We need helmet laws because people can't figure out for themselves that not wearing one is more dangerous. 

Listening to politicians you would think this is a serious problem, in reality the amount of people who die because they didn't wear a helmet is extremely miniscule. 

I think of it as natural selection in action, which is a good thing.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

I was talking to a guy recently who worked in a hospital many years ago.  He said they had a section of the ER and the hospital devoted exclusively to people involved in motorcycle accidents, most of whom were not wearing helmets. 

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
There are only 0.2 motorcycle deaths per state daily.  

How many of those can be attributed to not having worn a helmet?

An epidemic...  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Some stats on injuries and fatalities:

Motorcyclist deaths spike as helmet laws loosen
By John Yaukey and Robert Benincasa, Gannett News Service

WASHINGTON — Death rates from motorcycle crashes have risen steadily since states began weakening helmet laws about a decade ago, according to a Gannett News Service analysis of federal accident reports.

As deaths have increased, so has the proportion of older riders killed. Dying on a motorcycle could soon become a predominantly middle-aged phenomenon, the analysis shows.

Most states once required all motorcycle riders to wear helmets. A trend in the other direction began accelerating after 1995, during the same period the federal government decided to stop withholding highway money from states without helmet laws.

As states weakened or repealed the laws, the percentage of riders who wore helmets began dropping. And fatality rates increased.

In 1996, 5.6 motorcyclists were killed for every 10,000 registered motorcycles, according to Department of Transportation (DOT) statistics. By 2006, the most recent data available, the rate had risen to 7.3, the analysis shows.

In raw numbers, the annual death toll rose from 2,160 to 4,810 over that same period.

Meanwhile, fatality rates for all other passenger vehicles have been falling, DOT officials say.

"The data are pretty compelling," said Transportation Secretary Mary Peters, herself an avid motorcyclist who survived a crash thanks to a helmet she displays in somewhat battered condition in her office. "It's discouraging to see the (fatality) numbers going up. But at least people are talking about it now."

Two decades ago, 47 states required helmets for all riders. Today, 20 do. Twenty-seven states require helmets only for younger riders. Three — Illinois, Iowa and New Hampshire — don't require helmets at all.

The analysis of data from the government's Fatality Analysis Reporting System of motorcycle deaths between 2002 and 2006 also found:

• About 42% of riders killed were not wearing helmets.

• Half of those killed lost control and crashed without colliding with another vehicle. Motorcyclists account for about 2% of vehicles on the road but 10% of all traffic fatalities, according to federal statistics

• Southeastern states had some of the highest fatality rates in 2006. Some of these states require all riders to wear helmets, but they also have long riding seasons that expose bikers to more risk over time.

• Nearly half of motorcyclists killed in 2006 were 40 and older, and nearly a quarter were 50 or older. The average age of those killed was about 38.

Transportation officials say the age trends reflect the growing popularity of motorcycles among older people with increasing incomes but decreasing physical dexterity and reaction times.

Critics of motorcycle helmet laws say riders should be guided by common sense rather than a government mandate.

They promote their views through advocates like ABATE (American Bikers Aimed Toward Education), which, with chapters in most states, tracks helmet legislation and lobbies against it.

"It's my body, and I should have the right to do with it as I choose," said Terry Howard, state coordinator for ABATE of Colorado, which fought the state's recent adoption of a helmet law for riders under 18.

Not all bikers agree.

Simon Rosa, 22, of Northern Virginia, has no problem with the helmet law there. In 2003, he crashed his Honda sport bike making a turn.

"I still have the helmet and it has scratches all over it, so I could have suffered a nasty head injury," he said. "You just never know what's going to happen, regardless of how good a rider you are."

Federal statistics show that in states that weaken or repeal helmet laws, helmet use drops. In 1994, when the U.S. government still penalized states without helmet laws, 63% of riders wore helmets. By 2006, that percentage had dropped to 51%.

The National Transportation Safety Board unanimously recommended last year that states require all riders to wear helmets — the first time in its 40-year history that the independent panel weighed in on motorcycle safety.

"Medical and other costs for unhelmeted riders involved in crashes are staggering," the board notes on its website.

Opponents of helmet laws passionately dispute such claims.

"It's just a myth that states without helmet laws are an extra burden on society," said Jeff Hennie of the Motorcycle Riders Foundation.

Last year, 25 states considered laws to increase motorcycle safety, including laws mandating helmet use, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Delaware, Hawaii, Kansas, Montana and Oklahoma took up bills that would have required all motorcyclists, not just young riders, to wear helmets. None passed.

The most notable change occurred in Colorado, which previously had no helmet law but now requires them for riders under 18.

Comparing accident rates by state can be tricky.

For example, New Hampshire and Iowa, which have no helmet laws, reported fatality rates of 3.0 and 3.5 per 10,000 motorcycles, respectively, in 2006. By comparison, the rates in Mississippi and Maryland, which require helmets for all riders, were much higher — 20 and 12 respectively.

Helmet law advocates note that cold-weather states like New Hampshire have a much shorter riding season and that roads in states like Iowa with flat, open terrain and extended visibility are less dangerous.

"There are a lot of factors at work here," said Russ Radar with the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. "You can't look at just the fatality rate of any given state and make judgments based entirely on that."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-03-26-bikehelmets_N.htm

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
In 1996, 5.6 motorcyclists were killed for every 10,000 registered motorcycles, according to Department of Transportation (DOT) statistics.

0.00056%  :o

Scary, thanks...

Time for the government to stop wasting time trying to babysit us.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Some additional stats on the effectiveness of helmets:

Helmets decrease the severity of head injuries, the likelihood of death, and the overall cost of medical care. They are designed to cushion and protect riders' heads from the impact of a crash. Just like safety belts in cars, helmets cannot provide total protection against head injury or death, but they do reduce the incidence of both. NHTSA estimates that motorcycle helmets reduce the likelihood of crash fatality by 37 percent.2 Norvell and Cummings found a 39 percent reduction in the risk of death after adjusting for age, gender, and seat position.3 Helmets are highly effective in preventing brain injuries, which often require extensive treatment and may result in lifelong disability. In the event of a crash, unhelmeted motorcyclists are three times more likely than helmeted riders to suffer traumatic brain injuries.2 A recent literature review estimated that helmets are 42 percent effective at preventing death and 69 percent effective at preventing head injuries.4 While no real-world crash studies have yet evaluated the effectiveness of novelty helmets, or helmets that do not meet federal performance standards for preventing injury or death, NHTSA laboratory tests suggest that head injuries are much more likely with these helmets than with ones certified to the U.S. Department of Transportation standard.5 A recent study evaluated the effectiveness of different styles of helmets, including half-coverage, open-face, and full-face.6 Crash-involved riders wearing half-coverage helmets were twice as likely to suffer traumatic brain injuries than riders wearing open-face or full-face helmets.

http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/helmet_use.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
How helmet laws affect safety:

In states that either reinstated or enacted universal motorcycle helmet laws, helmet use increased dramatically, and motorcyclist deaths and injuries decreased. In states that repealed or weakened their universal helmet laws, helmet use declined sharply, and motorcyclist deaths and injuries rose.

In two recent studies, researchers modeled state motorcyclist fatality rates by helmet law type, after controlling for various factors such as per capita income, population density, and annual precipitation. Death rates were lowest in states with helmet laws that cover all riders. Rates in states with helmet laws that cover only some riders were lower than those in states with no helmet law, but not as low as rates in states with helmet laws that cover all riders. These results held for all three types of rates considered: deaths per 10,000 registered motorcycles, deaths per 100,000 population, and deaths per 10 billion vehicle miles traveled.13,14

Some examples of helmet laws and their effect on helmet use and death and injury rates:

* When California's helmet use law covering all riders took effect on January 1, 1992 helmet use jumped to 99 percent from about 50 percent before the law,15 and the number of motorcyclist fatalities decreased 37 percent.16
        * Nebraska reinstated a helmet law on January 1, 1989, after repealing an earlier law in 1977. The state then saw a 22 percent reduction in serious head injuries among motorcyclists.17
        * From 1968 to 1977, Texas had a universal helmet use law estimated to have saved 650 lives, but the law was amended in 1977 to apply only to riders younger than 18. The weakened law coincided with a 35 percent increase in motorcyclist fatalities. Texas reinstated its helmet law for all motorcyclists in September 1989. The month before the law took effect, the helmet use rate was 41 percent. The rate jumped to 90 percent during the first month of the law and had risen to 98 percent by June 1990.18 Serious injury crashes per registered motorcycle decreased 11 percent.19 But in September 1997, Texas again weakened its helmet law, requiring helmets only for riders younger than 21. Helmet use in Texas dropped to 66 percent by May 1998, and operator fatalities increased 31 percent in the first full year following the repeal.20
        * Kentucky repealed its universal helmet law in 1998, followed by Louisiana in 1999. These actions resulted in lower helmet use, and quickly increased motorcyclist deaths in these states by 50 percent and 100 percent, respectively.21
        * In 2000, Florida's universal helmet law was weakened to exempt riders 21 and older who have at least $10,000 of medical insurance coverage. An Institute study found that the motorcyclist death rate in Florida increased by about 25 percent after the state weakened its helmet law. The death rate rose from 31 fatalities per 1,000 crash involvements before the law change (1998-99) to 39 fatalities per 1,000 crash involvements after (2001-2002). An estimated 117 deaths could have been prevented during 2001-02 if the law had not been changed.22 An evaluation of the Florida law change by NHTSA found a similar effect; motorcyclist deaths per 10,000 motorcycle registrations increased 21 percent during the two years after the law was changed compared with the two years before.11

http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/helmet_use.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Another study.  That first paragraph is why I don't have a problem with helmet laws.  People in involved in those kinds of accidents tie up traffic, burden the healthcare system, and drive up everyone's medical expenses and taxes. 

Study Hits States Without Helmet Laws
August 24, 2006

According to a study by Jeffrey Coben, M.D., a researcher at West Virginia University, states that do not require motorcycle riders and passengers to wear helmets may be contributing to the unnecessary deaths, hospitalizations, and long-term disabilities.

Traffic deaths last year reached the highest level since 1990, due to an increase in motorcycle and pedestrian fatalities. Motorcycle deaths rose for an eight straight year.

“Almost nine percent of all U.S. traffic deaths are attributed to motorcycle riding,” said Dr. Coben, director of the Center for Rural Emergency Medicine at West Virginia University. “In 2004 more than 4,000 people were killed in motorcycle accidents – an 89 percent increase since 1997 – and more than 76,000 were injured.”

Coben is lead author of a new research study that compares motorcycle injuries in states with helmet laws with those in states with little or no helmet regulation.

The researchers found that states without universal helmet laws reported a higher number of motorcycle crash victims hospitalized with a primary diagnosis of brain injuries: 16.5 percent versus 11.5 percent in states with mandatory use laws. The in-hospital death rate among states without mandatory helmet laws was also higher – 11.3 percent versus 8.8 percent.

“Helmets are estimated to be 37 percent effective in preventing fatal injuries,” said Coben. “Analyzing injuries by state, we found that patients from states that do not have universal helmet laws had a 41 percent increase in risk of a Type 1 traumatic brain injury. Type 1 brain injuries include head injures likely to result in permanent disability, including paralysis, persistent vegetative state, and severe cognitive deficits.

Coben, a practicing emergency physician at WVU and researcher at the WVU Injury Control Research Center added, “Our research shows that a large proportion of patients with severe brain injuries will require long-term care. Hospitalized patients in states without universal helmet laws are also more likely to lack private health insurance, which leaves the public to bear the brunt of the resulting financial burden associated with choosing to not wear a helmet.”

Universal helmet laws require all motorcyclists to wear this protective gear while riding. States with partial laws require that only some motorcyclists, such as those under age 18 or age 21, wear a helmet while riding. The study is based on data from 33 states, and represents the largest study and most current data available on the hospital care of motorcycle accident victims. Of the 33 states that were studied, 17 had universal helmet laws at the time of the study, 13 had partial use laws, and three had no helmet laws at all.

The study findings also suggest that partial use laws may be ineffective because researchers found little difference in the age distribution of hospitalized cases when comparing states that require those under a certain age to wear helmets to states with no laws.

Coben’s co-authors were Claudia A. Steiner, M.D., of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, and Ted R. Miller, Ph.D., of the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation. Their study “Characteristics of Motorcycle-Related Hospitalizations: Comparing States with Different Helmet Laws” was published online in the “Articles in Press” section of Accident Analysis and Prevention. The study was funded by the AHRQ.

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2006/08/24/71687.htm

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
0.00056%  :o

Scary, thanks...

Time for the government to stop wasting time trying to babysit us.

NHTSA estimates that motorcycle helmets reduce the likelihood of crash fatality by 37 percent.

So that 0.00056% is now %0.00020

Scary numbers, but I think the odds of survival are in my favor...  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
So that 0.00056% is now %0.00020

Scary numbers, but I think the odds of survival are in my favor...  ::)

Do you ride a motorcycle without a helmet?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
Do you ride a motorcycle without a helmet?

Generally no, and I really don't care about this issue as much as I probably appear to.  

I do find things like this, and seat belt laws extremely annoying though.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Generally no, and I really don't care about this issue as much as I probably appear to.  

I do find things like this, and seat belt laws extremely annoying though.

I care about it as someone who is in traffic and pays taxes.  People who don't wear helmets and get into accidents affect all of us.  And they are stupid.  I see people riding all the time here, with no helmet, no gloves, no sleeves, shorts, and rubber slippers.   

I don't find seat belt laws annoying at all.  They save lives, and money too. 

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
i tell people who don't wear helmets to let themself fall head first into curb,they look at me like i'm crazy,then i tell them to imagine that at 60 mph

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
I care about it as someone who is in traffic and pays taxesPeople who don't wear helmets and get into accidents affect all of us.  And they are stupid.  I see people riding all the time here, with no helmet, no gloves, no sleeves, shorts, and rubber slippers.   

I don't find seat belt laws annoying at all.  They save lives, and money too. 

WOW, Look, Beach is a lib! :D  This is a popular liberal agrument used to validate new and more government control over the people in many areas and here Beach is with it...  what a gem :D

roccoginge

I've recked before, I'm still against the mandate. I tore off my fingerprints on one hand, I was bed ridden for days.  It's a choice, ours!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Yet you feel obamacare is ok mandating that I have to buy health insurance from a private carrier? 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Yet you feel obamacare is ok mandating that I have to buy health insurance from a private carrier? 
I'm assuming Beach is also ok with mandated healthcare based on his argument above.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V

Who are you referring to?  I don't think that's okay...