Author Topic: MONSTER TRICEPS! Ask JROD (Nattie BB CHAMP) Q & A  (Read 343156 times)

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: MONSTER TRICEPS! Ask JROD (Nattie BB CHAMP) Q & A
« Reply #425 on: September 10, 2007, 03:41:45 PM »
I just want to give Jrod some mad props, for really taking the time time to answer all these questions thoroughly and with lots of details.

Now I have one question for you,  why did you decide NOW, after competing before and doing quite well to start adding healthier fats to your diet?  Especially when you stated before here that you don't take in any extra fats from almonds or oils,  I mean what made you decide to make the change when you were doing so well without them before?

I have always added some healthy fats to my diet, actually.  Last year I usually had 1 tablespoon of olive oil per day; and sometimes I'd have walnuts.  This was during the off-season.  However, aside from this litte bit, I used to not worry about getting enough fats in my diet as I simply asummed I would get enough (I dont think this was always the case). 

Why have I decided NOW; well, I am always striving to make improvements to my diet.  I have realized that one area of my diet I could improve is my intake of healthy fats.  Every so often (either every year, or after a show), I come up with a rough guide/diet plan for my off-season.  This year, among a few other small changes, I have decided to increase my intake of healthy fats.  Now, if I find that this was a bad idea (I doubt this will happen), then I'll adjust accordingly.  I think part of doing well is constantly striving for little improvements wherever one can; this is what I am trying to do. 

Here is another thing I thought worked well, but I still changed:  last year, what I did with my water intake was a bit different from this year.  I tapered water one day earlier for last year's TU than I did for this year's TU.  I think I was pretty dry last year; however, I still made the change this year, since I thought this might make me look better, and it turned out for the better. 

My diet is NOT perfect, my precontest strategies are not 100% perfect.  I am happy with them, but I'm sure I can improve them.  Therefore, I'm always looking for that little bit I can improve upon. 

Thanks for the props, Big Ach.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #426 on: September 11, 2007, 07:51:07 AM »

Thanks for the response Jeff.  I agree, its always good to do something different  every new offseason and try to improve something about your diet and about your prep!

Good luck with it all!

jakeflips

• Getbig II
« Reply #427 on: September 20, 2007, 09:32:53 PM »
Hey jrod, I have really been doing some research on Max-OT, and I really think I'm going to give it a try.  It seems like all the natural competitors that I look up to (in regards to their physique and condition) use Max-OT.  I also know that you follow it as well.

My questions are related towards the diet that corresponds to Max-OT.  Do you think it is necessary to use the recommended diet of Max-OT to get the full benefits, or can a different (but well structured) diet still be effective with this style of training?

Also, with the high amount of protein being consumed on a Max-OT diet, roughly how many grams do you eat per meal?  I'm creating a diet plan for this, but wanted to verify protein figures to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

-Jake

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #428 on: September 21, 2007, 01:44:47 PM »

Hey jrod, I have really been doing some research on Max-OT, and I really think I'm going to give it a try.  It seems like all the natural competitors that I look up to (in regards to their physique and condition) use Max-OT.  I also know that you follow it as well.

My questions are related towards the diet that corresponds to Max-OT.  Do you think it is necessary to use the recommended diet of Max-OT to get the full benefits, or can a different (but well structured) diet still be effective with this style of training?

Hi Jake,
I think that the best results from training Max-OT style (or any other style) will be seen when you use a diet that is best for YOU.  I'm not exactly sure there is a diet that you're supposed to follow when training Max-OT (though there is one prescribed by the person/people who came up with max-ot).  But, for the sake of explaining this, lets say there is, and we'll call it max-ot diet.  Well, I think that if diet X is the best diet for you (whatever your goals are), then diet X + max-ot will be yield better results than max-ot diet + max-ot (this is not to say that max-ot diet is not good, however).  I'd say that if you have a diet you believe in, get good results from, and want to continue following, then continue fullowing it.

Also, with the high amount of protein being consumed on a Max-OT diet, roughly how many grams do you eat per meal? 

It depends on which meal, but most meals I eat about 50-60g protein per meal.  Here is my current diet (how much I eat each meal): 

http://www.speciesnutrition.com/athletejrod2.html

I'm creating a diet plan for this, but wanted to verify protein figures to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

-Jake

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #429 on: September 25, 2007, 06:08:43 AM »
Hi again JRod hope all is going well mate 8).

I'm entered in the MrGetBig comp here mate and I have never actually dieted before, was wondering if you could help me out with something. I am reading a lot of differant views on the prep for the final 5-7 days in regards to things like water intake etc.

Here is another thing I thought worked well, but I still changed:  last year, what I did with my water intake was a bit different from this year.  I tapered water one day earlier for last year's TU than I did for this year's TU.  I think I was pretty dry last year; however, I still made the change this year, since I thought this might make me look better, and it turned out for the better. 

Some people are saying slowly drop your water till the day and others are saying wait until the day before and then cut it out?! What do you think is the best way to go?! Keep in mind I don't think I'll be Carb loading as I am kind of just getting the hang of it and don't want to mess it all up as some people say can happen. I generally drink quite a bit of water and am really interested in your views on this and reasoning behind it.

I'm not going to be ripped or anything but I still want to try and look my best ;). No stress but any help would be great 8).

Cheers in advance :).

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #430 on: September 25, 2007, 10:09:52 PM »
Hi again JRod hope all is going well mate 8).

I'm entered in the MrGetBig comp here mate and I have never actually dieted before, was wondering if you could help me out with something. I am reading a lot of differant views on the prep for the final 5-7 days in regards to things like water intake etc.

Some people are saying slowly drop your water till the day and others are saying wait until the day before and then cut it out?! What do you think is the best way to go?! Keep in mind I don't think I'll be Carb loading as I am kind of just getting the hang of it and don't want to mess it all up as some people say can happen. I generally drink quite a bit of water and am really interested in your views on this and reasoning behind it.

I'm not going to be ripped or anything but I still want to try and look my best ;). No stress but any help would be great 8).

Cheers in advance :).

Hey Honour.  Good for you that you've entered Mr. Get Big.  It's good to have something to diet, prepare for; gives you motivation.

My take on water is as follows.  I drink a lot (~3 gallons) for a couple of months (2+).  Then a few days before the show (about 5 or 6 days) I drink a bit more (5 gallons).  1 day before the show, I go down to 1-1.5 gallons (NOT 0 or as little as possible).  My reasoning is, I get my body used to getting rid of so much water that when I go down to 1 gallon it is not enough time for my body to readjust and it still tries to get rid of water like it is going to get a lot.

Keep in mind that the better condition you are in the better this will work (better yet, it will WORK the same, but you'll SEE more of a difference if you're in better condition).  I'd suggest if you want to do this, since you seem pretty relaxed about the competition, that you take a safe, relaxed approach.  Do something similar, just maybe not to the same extreme.  If you don't want to measure your water intake, then dont.  Just make sure you conciously start drinking lots of water, then one day before pictures, taper your water intake (guess about half or a bit less--do NOT go down to nothing).  Then take your pictures the next morning.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #431 on: September 25, 2007, 11:02:43 PM »
Thanks so much for the advice Jrod. I'm not in as good shape as I would like to be but I still want to give it a go. I will try to go with a mix of what you suggested as I tend to drink about 3plus gallons a day atm which is high for me, so I'll try keep it at or above that, then the day before I'll cut it down to about 1 gallon or less and see how I go. I see the theroy now, and as I have heard you say before I guess it's going to be a bit of trial and error. Thanks again mate :).

jakeflips

• Getbig II
« Reply #432 on: September 26, 2007, 08:36:16 PM »
Hey jrod, I was wondering if you wear a belt while training.  I rarely do, but put one on when doing heavy challenging lifts.  Since I am going to start Max-OT, I figure each week will consist of these types of lifts.  I like the idea of strengthening my back w/o a belt, but do not want to invite injury (I have hurt my lower back before).  What's your opinion?

By the way, it's awesome how you help people out on here with lots of questions.  It's always great to hear what others have to say, especially when they obviously know what they're doing.

- Jake

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #433 on: September 26, 2007, 08:59:08 PM »
Hey jrod, I was wondering if you wear a belt while training.  I rarely do, but put one on when doing heavy challenging lifts.  Since I am going to start Max-OT, I figure each week will consist of these types of lifts.  I like the idea of strengthening my back w/o a belt, but do not want to invite injury (I have hurt my lower back before).  What's your opinion?

By the way, it's awesome how you help people out on here with lots of questions.  It's always great to hear what others have to say, especially when they obviously know what they're doing.

- Jake

I have never worn a belt in my life.  My opinion, well, I wouldn't wear one, but if you feel you cannot squat without it, then wear it.  On the other hand, if the question is, should one wear it and squat more, or not wear it but squat a bit less, I'd opt for less without a belt.  Since you've had an injury before, it might be different for you.  Listen to your body; if you will inevitably injure your back again squating without a belt, then of course you should wear one.  But, if it is breaking good form that hurts your back, then you could squat without one (which would help strengthen your back) and just make sure you try to ALWAYS keep an arched back with erect posture and have good form. (by the way, this is assuming you aren't squating 600 lbs.  If you are, then ???).

As for answering questions, I'm happy to do so.  You're right about it being good to hear what others have to say.  Also, it is nice not to have to reinvent the wheel, so if I can save someone a couple of weeks or months of figuring something out, I'm glad to help.

jakeflips

• Getbig II
« Reply #434 on: September 26, 2007, 09:18:25 PM »
Awesome dude, I really appreciate the advice.  I've never been a fan of wearing a belt, but I have worn one on occasion (usually when going for a new PR on something like squats, bent over rows, deads).  The time I hurt my back was simply carelessness and was new to lifting.  I really didn't think I would need one, but we'll see how everything feels after a few weeks of training with Max-OT.

-Jake

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #435 on: October 03, 2007, 05:41:07 PM »
I recently came back after a week off and have changed up my training schedule/split.  My current schedule/training split is posted here (this time with the number of sets and specific exercises listed):

http://www.speciesnutrition.com/athletejrod2.html

(scroll about halfway down)

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #436 on: October 05, 2007, 03:51:32 AM »
Here are some current pictures. 

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #437 on: October 05, 2007, 03:59:00 AM »
FUUUUCK man! that back shot is awesome.  :o  Great work

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #438 on: October 05, 2007, 05:43:12 AM »
Arms look great as well Jrod, triceps hang really well :o

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #439 on: October 05, 2007, 09:34:37 AM »
you've stayed really lean this offseaon and DAMN  your rear delts look awesome!

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #440 on: October 05, 2007, 10:18:18 AM »
Here are some current pictures. 
I still cannot figure out how you stay that lean in the offseason. I swear it is like you are all water and salt in that the only thing that really changes is the size of the muscle. It looks like you really don't store much fat.

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #441 on: October 05, 2007, 05:30:45 PM »
Thanks for all the nice words, guys!

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #442 on: October 10, 2007, 12:26:17 PM »
I started a blog yesterday. I'm going to start posting how my training is going, what I did, weights I used, and some other random thoughts. If anyone wants to see it there's a link at

www.speciesnutrition.com

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #443 on: November 04, 2007, 07:43:59 PM »
jrod, you're the man.  still amazed by how much you've accomplished so far in bb.  i hope you're training is going well.

Thanks, SH!  I hope things are going good for you as well.   

Training was going well, but I recently got sick with food poisoning (I wrote about it in my blog).  I think I'll be fine in a day or two, though.  Training will go well again, once I get back into it. 

Another interesting thing that happened earlier this week was that I shot another In the Trenches segment (also in my blog) for MD.  We didn't do the voice-over right afterwards, as usual, so the video will not be up until that is taken care of. 

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #444 on: November 06, 2007, 08:42:16 AM »
hey jrod i was up at davis this last weekend.. my friend is a second year and house with some buddies off of sycamore... im going back up there probably quite often just to chill and i was wondering where you train at?

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #445 on: November 06, 2007, 09:28:39 AM »
hey jrod i was up at davis this last weekend.. my friend is a second year and house with some buddies off of sycamore... im going back up there probably quite often just to chill and i was wondering where you train at?

Where you there for the NPC Sacramento?  I wanted to go, but I got food poisoning.

I used to live on Sycamore (North Davis, about a block or so from The Market Place/Safeway). 

I used to train at the ARC, which is the UC Davis school gym.  But I moved to Oakland, so I train here now. 

younggunz

• Getbig II
« Reply #446 on: November 06, 2007, 12:35:44 PM »
what are u doin in OAKLAND?

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #447 on: November 06, 2007, 12:54:23 PM »
what are u doin in OAKLAND?

I live here.  I'm originally from San Francisco (right next to Oakland).  After graduating from UC Davis, I moved back to the Bay Area. 

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #448 on: November 06, 2007, 06:51:52 PM »
no i wanted to go back into the city for the show on sat. night, but some people came over and we ended up doing a little bit of partying..
yeah his house is just a block down from the shopping center with the safeway or whatever it is.

i live just over a half hour away from oakland, and last year i lived off of 41st street near the bart station for about a month.

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #449 on: November 07, 2007, 12:23:42 AM »
no i wanted to go back into the city for the show on sat. night, but some people came over and we ended up doing a little bit of partying..
yeah his house is just a block down from the shopping center with the safeway or whatever it is.

i live just over a half hour away from oakland, and last year i lived off of 41st street near the bart station for about a month.

I live in the Dimond district, near Farmer Joe's, Safeway, Pete's Coffee, WaMu, etc.  I like the area.  I know a lot of people think Oakland isn't the nicest/safest city, I know flexingtonsteele HATES Oakland, but I've found there there are some really nice areas (where I live and around Lake Merrit).  I like living in the Bay Area.