Author Topic: Rapist spared, victim lashed... WTF Bangladesh?  (Read 12608 times)

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
Re: Rapist spared, victim lashed... WTF Bangladesh?
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2010, 10:39:18 AM »

Please, go ahead whats your point?

Are you stalking me? tracking my answers. ;)

hey gracie, do you live in Barra da Tijuca? im going there in 2 months, to see a Dream Theater show!!!  ;D
!

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2010, 11:29:16 AM »
90% of Muslims will agree that Khomenei is not qualified to issue fatwas, and 99.9% (at least) will agree that the individuals who issued the "fatwas" for the punishment of the two girls in this thread are not qualified either.  Just because these groups claim to be Islamic authorities and use Islam to justify their crimes does not make the religion to blame, it makes the individuals (and their few supporters) to blame.  Similar examples can be found of people abusing other religions by using them to justify their own evils.
But like like other religious apologists you have to resort to moral relativism. Islam has to condemn the fundamentalists, and vocally, or else it is tarnished with the same stain. It has remained notably silent in regards to this. That is shameful. The Catholic church for years covered up sexual abuses by it's members, and the laity, like yourself bobs, made apologies or said 'big deal, other religions commit such acts as well.' Well, they're paying for such indifference and arrogance both monetarily and spiritually.

See this is the problem when you mix religion, a fairly nice concept on paper, with people. People always fuck it up and behave selfishly. Pointing your fingers at others is no way to clean your own house.     

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2010, 11:34:19 AM »
That Rushdie has issued his own Fatwa: that ugly, fat, short, balding men, with eye problems everywhere should date tall, beautiful women, who make him look like Quasimodo in contrast. And he has riding on that one book, Satanic Verses, for a long time...that is all he's known for.
Ha! Been said many times. I've read some of his books, even met him once, and I, too, get the sense that he is not very likable -ie. cold and unemotional (and certainly his eyelids, which he got surgically fixed, didn't help) there is no doubting he is a superior writer. Ya gotta be able to separate the artist from the art, or else you'd have nothing to appreciate.  ;D 

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2010, 01:42:13 PM »
But like like other religious apologists you have to resort to moral relativism. Islam has to condemn the fundamentalists, and vocally, or else it is tarnished with the same stain. It has remained notably silent in regards to this. That is shameful. The Catholic church for years covered up sexual abuses by it's members, and the laity, like yourself bobs, made apologies or said 'big deal, other religions commit such acts as well.' Well, they're paying for such indifference and arrogance both monetarily and spiritually.

See this is the problem when you mix religion, a fairly nice concept on paper, with people. People always fuck it up and behave selfishly. Pointing your fingers at others is no way to clean your own house.    

If you actually read my posts properly you would notice that I am condemning it, so kindly stfu with labelling me an "apologist" :)

I only referred to followers of other religion committing crimes when explaining how it's a cultural issue more than a religious one.  i.e. if followers of more than one religion are committing the same crime and the only thing they have in common is being from the same backwards backwards culture - is culture the issue or religion?

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2010, 01:29:17 PM »
This has nothing to do with Islam.

Basically the guy got angry and felt "cheated" because he only found out later that his wife was not a virgin, and the girl's village "leaders" felt embarassed that they "let down" the guy's village (third world villager mentality).  They also may be dependant on the guy's village for resources, business relationships, etc. and felt they had to do something to show the the guy's village solidarity. 

It's f'ed up, and I hope the villagers who took part in the lashes get punished by actual Bangladesh authorities (as well as the rapist), but the cause of this is the backwards culture, not religion.

Good post.