Author Topic: Cam Newton.....star or bust?  (Read 21940 times)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Cam Newton.....star or bust?
« on: July 01, 2011, 07:22:47 PM »
I'm just not sold on the guy. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Cam Newton.....star or bust?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 08:38:56 AM »
nobody coming out of college should be looked at as a star. They havent proven anything other than they can beat the 99% of the ppl that played in college that dont make to the pros.

This is why college football blows, someone with a good talent and ability there is simply average in the pros.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 09:12:09 AM »
If they put together a playbook utilizing his skill set, i dont see how he cant be successful.

Is he the next dan marino? I dont think so.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 10:34:15 AM »
I'm just not sold on the guy. 

I'm not either, but it is such a crap shoot that I suppose the Panthers felt like they had to take him. 

Too many GM's, I think, operate too much out of fear of being "that guy" who passed on someone who went on to be a Hall of Famer and took someone who was either a complete bust, or otherwise didn't live up to expectations.
~

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 07:33:36 PM »
I'm not either, but it is such a crap shoot that I suppose the Panthers felt like they had to take him. 

Too many GM's, I think, operate too much out of fear of being "that guy" who passed on someone who went on to be a Hall of Famer and took someone who was either a complete bust, or otherwise didn't live up to expectations.

Carolina was stuck a bit, wish they would have moved the pick.  Cam was an excellent college QB, but I think his accuracy is going to be a downfall in the NFL. 

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 02:46:09 AM »
Carolina was stuck a bit, wish they would have moved the pick.  Cam was an excellent college QB, but I think his accuracy is going to be a downfall in the NFL. 

Plus, if he gets even the least bit out of shape, people will start calling him Fig Newton (unless Berman calls him that during highlights...Jeebus that schtick got old fast). 
~

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 06:11:07 AM »
Bust.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 04:55:56 PM »
Plus, if he gets even the least bit out of shape, people will start calling him Fig Newton (unless Berman calls him that during highlights...Jeebus that schtick got old fast). 
hahahaha Fig Newton LMAO

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 10:32:46 AM »

I'm still pissed the 49ers passed on Aaron Rogers and went with Alex Smith...and they've signed Smith to yet another year! I can't believe it, after all this time with a shit qb and now we've gotten at least one more year with him?!?!

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 03:06:58 PM »
Bust.  Awesome physical specimen who can make plays on the run but will not have the intelligence or skillset to be a pocket passer that is required to win in the NFL.  Teams are so desperate to get the next Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Aaron Rodgers that they'll draft QBs way above where they should be at like a desperate gamble.

Like what I think will eventually happen to Tim Tebow, injuries will cut his career short...defenseman in the NFL are a lot faster and bigger now.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 04:13:11 PM »
Bust. 

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 02:41:25 AM »
Bust.  Awesome physical specimen who can make plays on the run but will not have the intelligence or skillset to be a pocket passer that is required to win in the NFL.  Teams are so desperate to get the next Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Aaron Rodgers that they'll draft QBs way above where they should be at like a desperate gamble.

Like what I think will eventually happen to Tim Tebow, injuries will cut his career short...defenseman in the NFL are a lot faster and bigger now.

I can't find it on YouTube, but your quote reminds me of something I saw in the late 70s/early 80s...Tampa had a young black QB in its camp (not Doug Williams)...the coach actually said, "Well, he has the physical tools, but the mental side isn't going to be there, obviously"  :D
~

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 06:52:47 PM »
I can't find it on YouTube, but your quote reminds me of something I saw in the late 70s/early 80s...Tampa had a young black QB in its camp (not Doug Williams)...the coach actually said, "Well, he has the physical tools, but the mental side isn't going to be there, obviously"  :D

Ah, the good ole days.....  ;) ;D

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 07:10:04 PM »
Ah, the good ole days.....  ;) ;D

I actually saw it on the NFL Network some time ago.  I was shocked that the NFL lets that tape get aired nowadays because people will scream "racism" 
~

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 07:13:40 PM »
I actually saw it on the NFL Network some time ago.  I was shocked that the NFL lets that tape get aired nowadays because people will scream "racism" 

I remember when Public Enemy mentioned in a rap song about watching a black QB win the SB......1988 called....it's hasn't happened since......  ;D

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 07:21:21 PM »
I remember when Public Enemy mentioned in a rap song about watching a black QB win the SB......1988 called....it's hasn't happened since......  ;D

Tru dat.  Happened back when I was a Redskins fan (before the Panthers were born and before Danny Boy bought the Skins)
~

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 07:36:28 PM »
Tru dat.  Happened back when I was a Redskins fan (before the Panthers were born and before Danny Boy bought the Skins)

Williams tore it up....course as a Redskins fan you would know that he wasn't the starter for the majority of the year......and that he played like a "white" QB.   Timmy Smith was the real hero of that SB...plus Elway was still not sure how to win the big one.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 07:38:47 PM »
Williams tore it up....course as a Redskins fan you would know that he wasn't the starter for the majority of the year......and that he played like a "white" QB.   Timmy Smith was the real hero of that SB...plus Elway was still not sure how to win the big one.

Good old Jay Schroeder...made his debut after Joe T's leg was broken and replayed 76 times.
~

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 07:44:17 PM »
More than any of the Super Bowl memories (just ahead of Riggins' 4th down td run)...this was my favorite Redskins play of all time when I pulled for them...

~

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 07:47:23 PM »
More than any of the Super Bowl memories (just ahead of Riggins' 4th down td run)...this was my favorite Redskins play of all time when I pulled for them...

That Riggins run was incredible.....love the highlight too !  ;D

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 07:51:17 PM »

Now that I'm older, I can appreciate just how much class Tom Landry showed.  Most coaches today would be screaming obscenities.  He was still thinking about ways to possibly win.
~

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2011, 05:50:08 AM »

This was also one of those very rare games where the losing team did the "kneel-down" on the last play.  As the game was ending, most of the players ran off the field, but the officials determined there were 2 or 3 seconds to go and made Dallas run another play.  WR Drew Pearson (who had been Joe Theisman's high school teammate and backup QB) actually ran the kneel-down play for the Cowboys.
~

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 09:21:10 PM »
Cam looked impressive today. 

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 01:41:37 PM »
Really, cam throws for 422/2 td's and know one has anything to say? I don't think even his biggest supporters wouldve imagined what he did yesterday.

Even though the they were playing arizona, it was clear the guy has the tools to play the position.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2011, 02:13:22 PM »
Really, cam throws for 422/2 td's and know one has anything to say? I don't think even his biggest supporters wouldve imagined what he did yesterday.

Even though the they were playing arizona, it was clear the guy has the tools to play the position.

It was a terrific performance.  I know, of course, that it is just one game, but it was a very encouraging thing to watch.
~