Author Topic: Vince Gironda - Wow just wow  (Read 374637 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Be all end all Vince Gironda thread
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2009, 11:21:29 AM »
A kindly bump...

For a truly deserving thread.
 8)

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2009, 03:23:56 AM »
What do you recommend when one muscle group grows slower than the rest of the body? Everything is growing but my arms.

Should I do more sets and/or exercises for this area or more forced reps and harder work or should I train the area more often or a combination of all three?

You may have to change exercises to find more workable movements.

Experiment with Tri-sets. That is performing 3 biceps exercises, one after the other. Then repeat the whole cycle again. Perform 4 cycles of three different biceps exercises and 4 cycles of three different triceps exercises.

Work to increase work load slightly each workout and gradually decrease rest time between exercises to zero.

Growth comes from a training frequency per muscle group of 2 or 3 times a week. No less no more.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2009, 03:25:56 AM »
Drop sets and down-the-racks are ideal for blasting the deltoids. Down-the-racks were a favorite method of Larry Scott, probably the best small-boned bodybuilder to ever develop delts as massive as those of the big boys.

Deltoid exercises are particularly suited to down-the-rack training. To perform down-the-rack sets, simply warm up for a few sets and then go to the heaviest bells you can get six reps with. As soon as you fail, be it five, six or seven reps, immediately return those bells to the rack and grab the next lighter pair, which will probably be five pounds lighter.

Don't take any rest. Do as many reps as you can and then return those dumbells to the rack, again immediately grabbing the next lighter bells and so on.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2009, 03:27:14 AM »
This controversial subject has caused great confusion in the mind of the general public. A few of the following facts should help to clear up this high fog index.

Cholesterol belongs to the classification of fats known as sterols and is chemically not a fat. But, it is found in all fats and oils. I'd like to point out that the body synthesizes and metabolizes daily a far greater amount than is consumed in the diet.
It has never been established that natural fats raise cholesterol. In fact, certain types of fats cause a drop in cholesterol levels in the blood. The body manufactures 15 grams of cholesterol per day. Thus, the more cholesterol you eat, the less the body normally manufactures. Without cholesterol, the slightest cut would cause you to bleed to deatch so it is important in the proper amounts.

All foods that contain cholesterol also contain lecithin which is a fat emulsifier. The best fat emulsifier known, however, is EXERCISE. I feel that cholesterol is primarily a product of tensions, anxiety and stress. Further, modern man no longer can revert to Fight or Flight in his daily life as did our ancestors. Yet this was the only real way for nature to emulsify cholesterol ... today we must train and exercise!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2009, 04:40:39 AM »
Thank you.
This is all great stuff.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2009, 05:09:10 AM »
Drop sets and down-the-racks are ideal for blasting the deltoids. Down-the-racks were a favorite method of Larry Scott, probably the best small-boned bodybuilder to ever develop delts as massive as those of the big boys.

Deltoid exercises are particularly suited to down-the-rack training. To perform down-the-rack sets, simply warm up for a few sets and then go to the heaviest bells you can get six reps with. As soon as you fail, be it five, six or seven reps, immediately return those bells to the rack and grab the next lighter pair, which will probably be five pounds lighter.

Don't take any rest. Do as many reps as you can and then return those dumbells to the rack, again immediately grabbing the next lighter bells and so on.

does he suggest to do only one set of drop sets or multiple?
footloose and fancy free

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2009, 11:43:37 PM »

does he suggest to do only one set of drop sets or multiple?

I know for the rack work he only recommended one "set" maybe done two or three times a week for maybe 3 or 4 weeks.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2009, 04:38:20 PM »
Lats,
I know Vince mentioned using DB laterals or shoulder width upright rowing - laterals are tilted down (front bell - elbows bent).

Do you have any other info about what he advocated for shoulder development?

Thanks.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2009, 12:18:12 AM »
Lats,
I know Vince mentioned using DB laterals or shoulder width upright rowing - laterals are tilted down (front bell - elbows bent).

Do you have any other info about what he advocated for shoulder development?

Thanks.

Vince Gironda High Pull   
One of Vinces favorite exercises for the side delt was a variation on the upright row. He called them "high pulls."

- Overhand grip on the bar about shoulder-width apart.

- At the "low position" the bar rests on the front of the thighs and the elbows are slightly bent.

- With the elbows pulled high the bar is raised to about the top of your head.

- At the raised position, the bar should be about 12 inches (30 cm) in front of the head.

Seated Bradford Press   
Vince Gironda had a different name for these...but they were named after a lifter by the name of Jim Bradford. Take weight you normally use for overhead pressing and reduce by about 10-20 percent. Wider than shoulder width grip...let comfort be your guide. Start at normal clean position at collarbones, then drop just slightly before pressing. Press weight up till you just reach the top of the head, then move the weight over your head and lower behind your head till you contact the base of the neck. Then return to the front in the same way...it is a continuous back and forth movement. You should just clear the top of the head, so your arms never really exceed a 90 degree angle. Fight the tendency to "duck" the head to one side or the other to make the movement easier. One forward/back trip equals one rep. Mostly front and side deltoid, with some rear delt stabilization. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2009, 06:18:56 AM »
Thanks, brother.
I really hope you don’t mind all these questions.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2009, 02:52:53 AM »
Thanks, brother.
I really hope you don’t mind all these questions.

Ask away, I'm always willing to help out.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2009, 07:10:29 PM »
Here’s one about nutrition:
I know Vince had his guys taking a good many liver tablets, Blair protein, and (I believe) some kind of amino tablets that Blair also made.
Do you have any info on the nutritional end of things?

Specifically, I am curious about the amounts and timing of the shakes & liver, as well as exactly what was in Blair’s amino tabs.

I don’t know if any of those details were ever made public knowledge, and I wouldn’t ask or expect you to dig for it.
I just thought if you knew anything offhand.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2009, 01:26:53 AM »
Here’s one about nutrition:
I know Vince had his guys taking a good many liver tablets, Blair protein, and (I believe) some kind of amino tablets that Blair also made.
Do you have any info on the nutritional end of things?

Specifically, I am curious about the amounts and timing of the shakes & liver, as well as exactly what was in Blair’s amino tabs.

I don’t know if any of those details were ever made public knowledge, and I wouldn’t ask or expect you to dig for it.
I just thought if you knew anything offhand.

The General protocol with the Liver tabs was 24 a day,  You would take 8 liver tabs up to 3 times a day.  With certain specialization programs Vince would sometimes have guys take 2 liver tabs every hour for a few weeks at a time.

With the shakes Vince didn't really want guys doing more than 2-3 a day.  He believed the majority of one's food intake should be whole foods.

Vince preferred amino tabs that were derived from milk and egg sources.  Pre contest he recommended free form aminos.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2009, 05:03:19 AM »
THANK YOU!

I ordinarily do a great deal of my own research, but I couldn’t turn up anything about the supplement end of things.
I searched under Rheo Blair, Gironda, Scott, etc.
This answers a lot of questions I had.

Thanks, again.

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2009, 12:22:49 PM »
Ask away, I'm always willing to help out.

ordinarily, you are quite not the nice guy

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2009, 02:29:03 AM »
ordinarily, you are quite not the nice guy

I will admit to making things a little too personal with people on the G&O but I will always offer help.   G&O is for entertainment,  if you would have seen that board years back you would be calling me a nice guy.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2009, 06:44:52 AM »
This is not geared at lax/MJ, but most of the people who complain about how juvenile GB has gotten seldom leave the confines of the G&O.
Or else they spend all their time on the alphabet boards. :-\

The majority of threads on the majority of boards still have serious and intelligent discussions.

Threads such as this one are GOLDEN, and they are around if you take the time to look.
I forget which page of the History board this topic was on when I found it.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2009, 06:24:47 AM »
Lats,
One very knowledgeable poster on here informed me that Vince’s guys lived on the steak & eggs meals, canned tuna in oil, and of course the Blair powder & liver tabs.

Do you have any additional insight regarding specific aspects of their diet?

Thank you.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2009, 01:37:58 AM »
Steak and Eggs was pretty much the precontest diet,  for six weeks you would have steak and eggs 3 times a day and in between those meals you would have your liver tabs and free form aminos.

It's also important to remember Vince always recommended you mix your protein powders with heavy whipping cream.

One of Vince's "weight gaining"  recommendations was to mix protein powder, heavy cream, and ginger ale as a make shift weight gaining powder. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2009, 05:16:29 AM »
Thanks, man.

I reckon the cream is partly what made Blair’s powder taste so good.
I understand that a lot of guys were doing that at the time, and Scott claims he grew like a weed once he started.

Did Vince advise straight cream, or a mix of half cream & half whole milk?

I’ve also read/heard that many of those Venice Beach guys did fairly little in the way of cardio, and that the diet above was responsible for most of the “cutting.”

Thanks again, brother.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2009, 02:30:25 AM »
Thanks, man.

I reckon the cream is partly what made Blair’s powder taste so good.
I understand that a lot of guys were doing that at the time, and Scott claims he grew like a weed once he started.

Did Vince advise straight cream, or a mix of half cream & half whole milk?

I’ve also read/heard that many of those Venice Beach guys did fairly little in the way of cardio, and that the diet above was responsible for most of the “cutting.”

Thanks again, brother.

The cream does make the shakes taste way better.  I always made great gains incorporating it into my shakes.  you can also use half and half if you desire.

Most of the guys did no cardio unless it was of the extracirricular variety like riding bikes, etc.  Most guys only trained abs precontest also.  Vince advocated only training abs 6 weeks a year for most.

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2009, 08:32:01 PM »
I will admit to making things a little too personal with people on the G&O but I will always offer help.   G&O is for entertainment,  if you would have seen that board years back you would be calling me a nice guy.

yes
it doesn't really matter

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2009, 07:03:08 PM »
It's also important to remember Vince always recommended you mix your protein powders with heavy whipping cream.

One of Vince's "weight gaining"  recommendations was to mix protein powder, heavy cream, and ginger ale as a make shift weight gaining powder. 

Blair figured out that adding egg protein to the milk yielded the correct amino profile – closest to human mother’s milk.
I understand that Vince later made his own version of the blend.

Were they the same in terms of ingredients & effectiveness?
Do you know the ratios of milk : egg used?

There are companies like Cytosport & BSN that market protein powders as mimicking human breast milk (Muscle Milk & Syntha 6). Universal even makes an egg & milk powder aimed at “old school” bb’ers.

Based on your knowledge and opinion, do any of today’s products come close to the Blair (/Gironda) formula?

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2009, 03:48:15 AM »
Blair figured out that adding egg protein to the milk yielded the correct amino profile – closest to human mother’s milk.
I understand that Vince later made his own version of the blend.

Were they the same in terms of ingredients & effectiveness?
Do you know the ratios of milk : egg used?

There are companies like Cytosport & BSN that market protein powders as mimicking human breast milk (Muscle Milk & Syntha 6). Universal even makes an egg & milk powder aimed at “old school” bb’ers.

Based on your knowledge and opinion, do any of today’s products come close to the Blair (/Gironda) formula?

As far as the ingrediants Vince's protein was pretty much exactly the same as Blairs.  Vince's Milk and Egg is actually still manufactured by NSP nutrition.    I can actually give you the link to their site but I don't want to just post it on the board and get accused of spamming their products, send me a PM if you'd like it.

As far as the quality of today's proteins I can vouche for NSP, Universal, and Beverly.  Bev's UMP is a great formula and it mixes better than the Universal or NSP but I don't think it's as cost effective as the others.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2009, 08:29:26 PM »
I can actually give you the link to their site but I don't want to just post it on the board and get accused of spamming their products, send me a PM if you'd like it.

I know what you mean.

Is that the Ron Kosloff site?
I forgot all about that.
I stumbled across it a while back (before I took a serious interest in the 1960’s Venice Beach era).

So you’ve used the above 3 powders, and they’re pretty good, huh?

I still have a good bit in my current supply, but I’m always looking for something that might be better.
I may give one or two of these a go when it’s time to order again.

Thanks.