Author Topic: Happy Lent - Are you giving anything up?  (Read 10667 times)

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
Happy Lent - Are you giving anything up?
« on: March 04, 2014, 07:06:55 PM »
I tend to explain and exemplify Christian traditions as I find I am now in the minority.  

Therefore today I have told everyone I've spoken to that it's Shrove Tuesday, Pancake Day, 40 days till Easter and that the whole thing is about using up your eggs and milk before fasting (or giving something up) for 40 days.

Are you giving anything up for Lent?  I'm not quitting booze till I'm a full-on alcoholic and I can't think of anything else I do wrong...

xxxL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
Re: Happy Lent - Are you giving anything up?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 07:16:40 PM »
Lovely Girly Place

Oh how I enjoy reading the truly clever funny posts on our fabulous clean safe nice sweet pink and fluffy girly board....

xL

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 08:58:29 PM »
No. I don't partake in lent.

But if I did I would give up white refined sugars.

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 04:42:25 AM »
No, I am atheist, so I don't do Lent.

My mom was catholic, and told me some of the Dutch Lent traditions. Fasting for 46 days, and absolutely no eating or drinking (or smoking) anything for the whole 24 hours a day, so you undergo what really poor people suffer from... accepts that it is not 40 whole days, but only a few. No fasting on Sundays and some other days...

I only remember the feast on Easter with a lot of eggs, chicken and often rabbit. Oh, and matzos with butter and sugar, although no one in our family is jewish.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 04:47:47 AM »
No, I am atheist, so I don't do Lent.

My mom was catholic, and told me some of the Dutch Lent traditions. Fasting for 46 days, and absolutely no eating or drinking (or smoking) anything for the whole 24 hours a day, so you undergo what really poor people suffer from... accepts that it is not 40 whole days, but only a few. No fasting on Sundays and some other days...

I only remember the feast on Easter with a lot of eggs, chicken and often rabbit. Oh, and matzos with butter and sugar, although no one in our family is jewish.

It always cracks me up watching my Jewish friends after Passover. I've never seen people crave fibre so badly!
w

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 06:22:19 AM »
I used to do strict fast for lent when I was younger. I identify as an orthodox Christian (even though I don't really practice anymore...still don't know how I feel about things...even though I "don't know how I feel about things" going on two years now lol).

Strict fast for us meant abstaining from meat, dairy, eggs, fish, olive oil, and alcohol. On certain "feast days" you could have fish and/or olive oil and beer/wine. It took quite a bit of discipline to do this. Many people made vegan desserts, but that's kind of cheating. You could also eat shellfish, just not fish. Of course, if a friend invites you to dinner, you don't say, "oh I'm fasting, I can't eat what you made," you eat it out of politeness, and those who are old or cant do the fast don't need to.

The restricted foods were thought to be indulgences, and the purpose of eliminating them from your diet was to keep yourself from focusing on pleasures like food. This way your mind was clear and you could focus on prayer.

I can't help but think there was some farming-related reasoning behind abstaining from some of these foods, too.

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 07:21:05 AM »
Strict fast for us meant abstaining from meat, dairy, eggs, fish, olive oil, and alcohol. On certain "feast days" you could have fish and/or olive oil and beer/wine. It took quite a bit of discipline to do this. Many people made vegan desserts, but that's kind of cheating. You could also eat shellfish, just not fish.
Here you couldn't eat meat on Fridays, if you were catholic. So you ate fish (apparently vegetarian/vegan was not an option). You could eat beaver, water rat or ducks, though. Because they swim, they were considered 'fish'...  ::)

I can't help but think there was some farming-related reasoning behind abstaining from some of these foods, too.
Could be you are referring to the 'hungry gap'. From winter to early spring there's not much vegetables to harvest; those months are the hungry gap. Around Easter more and more vegetables become avaiable, chicken start to lay (more) eggs, and lambs are born.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 03:24:05 PM »
something like that, I attempted to explain to my Muslim neighbour that it was kinda like Ramadan but then I lost them.

I'm gonna give Getbig up.

Either that or I'll have to learn how to quote others posts.  Did you lot see the horrid post that immediately came up here from some random sad chap?  No?  He deleted it didn't he.  You need to mod this board effectively please?

Sometimes it's far too horrid on our Girly Board, far too nasty.  I really don't think I ask for it, I just think you don't understand my naivety and gullibleness and honesty and you just go for the three shots straight to the head hoping for a meltdown.  Be nice, it's nice to be nice.  It's easy to give stuff up.  It's good for you.

xxxL