Author Topic: ab wheel roller  (Read 2188 times)

Deadpool

• Getbig V
ab wheel roller
« on: January 08, 2007, 02:40:33 PM »
anyone use one?
X

body88

Re: ab wheel roller
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 08:34:38 PM »
anyone use one?

Why? you can do crunches for free and it works better ???

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 08:42:23 PM »
I have a couple of them, after a month or so you have to do way too many to even feel it, even standing, straight legged. I prefer crunches.
E

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 09:08:35 PM »
I have a couple of them, after a month or so you have to do way too many to even feel it, even standing, straight legged. I prefer crunches.

Danielson,  do you use the basic wheel or the newer ones?  The basic (bar that you slide a wheel on) is the most difficult.  I'm 260 aprox and can only get 6-8 standing.  I'm surprised standing isn't tough for you.  Do you weigh over 220 or under and which wheel do you use?  Thanks.  Here is the one I use, it's after the jump rope.

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 05:19:39 AM »
Danielson,  do you use the basic wheel or the newer ones?  The basic (bar that you slide a wheel on) is the most difficult.  I'm 260 aprox and can only get 6-8 standing.  I'm surprised standing isn't tough for you.  Do you weigh over 220 or under and which wheel do you use?  Thanks.  Here is the one I use, it's after the jump rope.

I use that one. It was tough for me when I first got it(I also have a bigger one that is useless), then I had to do too many of them to feel anything. I am sure if I did them now 12 would give me a great burn as I've not done them in 2 years. I weigh 180.
E

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 08:30:22 AM »
12 is great for any weight.  My brother is 210 and uses a vest (20 pounds, I think) to make his more challenging. 

For those that asked, the wheels (old fashioned one) greatest benifit is to the transverse abs and not the rectus abs.  As a matter of fact there is little, if any, shortening of the rectus abs.  Leg raises and crunches may work better, but for strength and sports the wheel is awesome.

The new, modified wheels and bigger wheels, are useless just like danielson said.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 09:00:40 AM »
The ab wheel is a great piece of equipment for hitting the lower and upper ab girdle at the same time. The body can adjust to it pretty fast and 20/30 reps or more can become easy. Standing improves the movement quite a bit, as suggested.  Rather than a smooth surface, try it on a heavy rug, gym mat or a natural surface like dirt. Or even a light layer of sand, if your extremely macho. Much more demanding. Also have the feet on a high table or the upper level of an incline bench, on whatever surface you choose.

The ab wheel is akin to a face down straight arm pullover, so the lat's come into play strongly as do the triceps. Actually the ab's keep stable the core section of the mid body during the ab wheel exercise. That's where most of their work comes into play. For a $4.95 investment, it can hold it's own against most $1,000. ab machines. Gooc luck.

Tier

• Getbig III
  • Lift light with sloppy form
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 01:20:52 PM »
i have a bad back (somtimes) and don't do ab work , always wondered in getting a wheel as it would better than nothing for abs.

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 05:06:35 PM »
It's such a difference from knees to standing that I can do an unlimited number while on knees, more than 100 and only 8 standing.  The vest will make it challenging for lighter guys.

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 06:34:06 AM »
i have a bad back (somtimes) and don't do ab work , always wondered in getting a wheel as it would better than nothing for abs.

I had lumbar surgery.  that is a great tool.  The Wheel.
Most are all show no go!

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 09:52:56 AM »
For what it's worth, I would suggest an ab wheel to anyone. But with the exception of that anyone having a lower back disk or ligament problem. There can be undo tension on that region with the wheel, if prone to potential back trouble. I might also suggest attention to exercises like GM'ing's, hyperextensions, SLDL, etc included when doing the ab wheel work, to insure matching back strength.  Good Luck.