Getbig Female Info Boards > Womens Physique, Bodybuilding, Wellness and Training

GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING

<< < (3/101) > >>

Butterbean:

--- Quote from: ripitupbaby on June 25, 2007, 01:51:48 PM ---

---FREE SQUATS.  No Smith Machine.  Just you and the weighted barbell on your shoulders.  Keep your upper body upright when you squat (don't bend forward) and squat like you are going to sit down on a toilet, maybe a little deeper.  No need to go ass-to-ankles, as this is just a recipe for injury.  Make sure your ass and knees stay comfortably behind your ankles when you squat. 

Feet forward, shoulder width apart is a "normal" stance.  Feet pointed outward with a slightly wider stance will focus more on the inner thighs.

--- End quote ---

Rip, could you please talk about which muscles are engaged w/wide, normal and narrow stances while doing Free Squats and Hack Squats.

--- Quote from: ripitupbaby on June 25, 2007, 01:51:48 PM ---

---Leg Extensions.  Squeeze and hold at the top.  Adjust foot positioning to vary the exercise.

---Lying Hamstring Curls.  I like to do these one leg at a time.

--- End quote ---

Re: adjusting foot positioning, are you talking about "flat-foot" to "pointed toes?"  If so, do you suggest adjusting w/the lying hamstring curls also?

Thanks Rip :)

ripitupbaby:

--- Quote from: STella on June 29, 2007, 02:45:36 AM ---Rip, could you please talk about which muscles are engaged w/wide, normal and narrow stances while doing Free Squats and Hack Squats.

--- End quote ---

Unless you are a powerlifter, "normal" stance for a free squat is generally shoulder width apart, with the feet facing forwards or pointed just slightly outwards.  I find that this engages the most muscles in the lower body, but slight variations on this stance can make different muscles work a little more.

---A closer stance will lessen the workload for the hips and butt, and will put more emphasis on the quads and thighs.  A closer stance will also put more pressure on your back and abs, which is OK as long as you remember that there is not a need to go too heavy.
---A wider stance does the opposite - decreases the work for the thighs and puts more emphasis on the hips and butt.

Stance selection depends, in part, on what is most comfortable for you.  Shorter people have an easier time with a closer stance, I think, than taller people.  A wider stance gives you better ability to balance and engages the abs, back, and core muscles less.  I would start shoulder width apart and adjust your stance according to what is comfortable for you to go deep enough and maintain balance.

--- Quote from: STella on June 29, 2007, 02:45:36 AM ---Re: adjusting foot positioning, are you talking about "flat-foot" to "pointed toes?"  If so, do you suggest adjusting w/the lying hamstring curls also?

Thanks Rip :)

--- End quote ---

More so than pointing/flexing the feet, I was referring to the toe position/angling or which way the feet are directed, which can be modified during squats, leg presses, and leg extensions, among other exercises.

You can position your feet straight ahead (maybe slightly outward), or you can turn them outward (like a plie in ballet), or you can turn them inward so that the toes on your feet are pointing towards each other.

---Positioning your toes outward (like a ballet plie) in squats and leg presses will emphasize inner thigh work. 
I found this cute little picture (below) to illustrate what I am talking about. 

EDIT: the pic shows the correct foot position to focus on the inner thighs, but for squats, your stance should be wider and your knees should remain behind your heels.  Not quite the same as a plie.

If you turn your feet outward about 45 degrees and squat in this position, you will definitely put more focus on your inner thighs, as well as your butt.  I use this as a variation for my squats once in a while, or I sometimes add a couple of sets of these in after I do my squats with a straighter foot position.

---Positioning your toes inward will emphasize outer thigh work.  However, I do NOT recommend this position for free squats or even Smith machine squats, as I think that it is very difficult to maintain balance and is a recipe for knee trouble, even with light weight.  I would only position the toes inwards to focus more on the outer thigh when doing leg extensions, and maybe leg presses with relatively light weight.

---For leg extensions in particular, having the toes rotated slightly outward will target the inner sweep of the quads more.  Working with the toes rotated slightly inward will target the outer teardrop of the quads more.

Pointed toes versus going flat-footed on hammy curls is another interesting question, and not one that I am too sure about in terms of the benefits of one versus the other. 
I have had people recommend both ways to me for hammy curls, as well as leg extensions. 
I'm not too sure what the effects of pointing the toes versus flexing them is when doing hammy curls...I usually try to keep my feet flexed, as I feel more of a stretch through the hamstring this way.
For leg extensions, I have found that foot flexion when the foot is pointed (downward), the lower quads work more, and when the foot is flexed upward, the upper part of the quads work more.

In general, I see all of these modifications as good ways to put some variety into your exercises from time to time, but with the exception of the inner thigh focus from plies, I'm not so sure that there is REALLY a great benefit or impact to doing much more than the standard or "normal" stances and foot positions.

Benny B:
You have to demonstrate that you practice what you preach by posting a few rear nudes of yourself. For evaluation purposes.

ripitupbaby:

--- Quote from: Benny Blanco on July 05, 2007, 10:08:02 PM ---You have to demonstrate that you practice what you preach by posting a few rear nudes of yourself. For evaluation purposes.

--- End quote ---

Sorry, but I didn't work out nude today.   :P

I DID do a lower body workout though.  I only trained lower body once this week, so I tried to hit everything. 

I am currently in a "maintenance" mode, not really trying to put on size or lose weight.  Here's what I did, generally, to give you an idea of what kind of weights/reps:

---Walking Lunges - 4 sets with 45 pound bar, about 12-15 each leg
---Free Squats - 1 set 95 pounds x 20, 2 sets 115 pounds x 15
---Straight Leg Deadlifts - 1 set 85 pounds x 18, 2 sets 95 pounds x 15
---Seated Calf Raises - 2 sets with 45 pound plate on, as many as I could do till it hurt too much
---Leg Extensions - 3 sets on machine (can't remember weight 50 or 65) x 15
---Seated Hammy Curl - 2 sets on machine (can't remember weight) x 15
---Lying Hammy Curl - 2 light sets (50 pounds?) x 15

I fully expect to walk funny for the next two days.   :-\

Butterbean:

--- Quote from: ripitupbaby on July 07, 2007, 03:04:31 PM ---

---Walking Lunges - 4 sets with 45 pound bar, about 12-15 each leg
---Free Squats - 1 set 95 pounds x 20, 2 sets 115 pounds x 15
---Straight Leg Deadlifts - 1 set 85 pounds x 18, 2 sets 95 pounds x 15
---Seated Calf Raises - 2 sets with 45 pound plate on, as many as I could do till it hurt too much
---Leg Extensions - 3 sets on machine (can't remember weight 50 or 65) x 15
---Seated Hammy Curl - 2 sets on machine (can't remember weight) x 15
---Lying Hammy Curl - 2 light sets (50 pounds?) x 15

--- End quote ---
Thanks, we're going to do this workout Tuesday  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version