Getbig Main Boards > Politics and Political Issues Board

Supporters of 'Personhood Amendment' Make Case to Mississippi Voters

<< < (3/80) > >>

Straw Man:

--- Quote from: Beach Bum on October 26, 2011, 03:04:40 PM ---I agree life begins at conception.  That's the logical starting point, rather than some arbitrary "viability" line, etc.  I think people who have been involved with the pregnancy and the birth of a child (male or female) is more likely to understand and appreciate that there is actually a life in the womb (whether the law recognizes it or not).  

In terms of the rape and incest exceptions, I don't think there can be a logical distinction between aborting a baby conceived through consensual sex and aborting one conceived through rape.  It's still an innocent child.  So, if a state is going to ban it, a rape/incest exception isn't reasonable IMO.  

I view the mother's life and health differently, because then you have competing interests (mother vs. baby).  Not saying this should happen, just following the argument to its logical (or illogical) conclusion.    

In any event, I've said this many times before, but I don't think there is a political solution to this issue, short of a "personhood amendment," and even then it probably will never be settled.  

--- End quote ---

Bum, from your statement above I assume if your wife, sister, daughter was raped and became pregnant (and I certainly hope that never happens) that you would want them to bear the child of their rapist.

How would you suggest they deal with the trauma/horror of having to carry the child of their rapist and then what would you want them to do with the child (I'm assuming you would have some influence if this were your wife or daughter).   Would you want them to raise the child oftheir rapist or put it up for adotption.  Which one do you think would create more trauma for them.  Raising the child or giving it up?

Roger Bacon:
Sperm are living beings?  Right? 

I don't think we should be blindly trying to protect "life".  What we know as human life should be protected.

240 is Back:
Interesting distraction.  Let's all worry about this while dems and repubs wipe their asses with our tax dollars.

Butterbean:

--- Quote from: P.I.P on October 26, 2011, 01:22:29 PM ---That's hilarious!!!

Next I'll be tried on charges of genocide for squirting about 39 million people into my girlfriends anal cavity!  ::)

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: P.I.P on October 29, 2011, 01:22:29 PM ---Sperm are living beings?  Right?  

I don't think we should be blindly trying to protect "life".  What we know as human life should be protected.

--- End quote ---

PIP, you may be having a brain fart because you know that fertilization in this case = a male sperm + female egg = zygote (the life they are talking about not just your sperm [sperm or egg on their own = not a human life])

For instance, vegetarians can eat unfertilized chicken eggs as you know them but wouldn't eat fertilized ones....because the unfertilized egg is, as Toxic Avenger would say, simply "hen period."

Roger Bacon:

--- Quote from: Butterbean on October 29, 2011, 01:46:24 PM ---PIP, you may be having a brain fart because you know that fertilization in this case = a male sperm + female egg = zygote (the life they are talking about not just your sperm [sperm or egg on their own = not a human life])

For instance, vegetarians can eat unfertilized chicken eggs as you know them but wouldn't eat fertilized ones....because the unfertilized egg is, as Toxic Avenger would say, simply "hen period."

--- End quote ---

Thanks for taking the time to lay it out like that Mr. Bean!   ;D

I realize that, and agree but I don't know that sperm should instantly be considered "a human" because it's merely penetrated the egg.  I believe it takes a little while for stuff to begin. I don't know that these earliest forms of life should be considered "a human".  I know that at some point in the womb a tiny human is formed, but I believe the human part comes a little bit later.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version