Author Topic: JM press vs close grip  (Read 35681 times)

sceagacros

• Getbig III
  • Happy holidays, have you considered suicide?
JM press vs close grip
« on: December 24, 2017, 04:58:16 AM »
In what scenarios would you pick one over the other as a supplemental lift for raw benching (if you could only use one), and why?

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
Re: JM press vs close grip
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 02:02:28 PM »
In what scenarios would you pick one over the other as a supplemental lift for raw benching (if you could only use one), and why?
I have always found JM press works better for size and close grip for strength..that’s for me though

Bench

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 04:41:37 PM »
I have always found JM press works better for size and close grip for strength..that’s for me though

Bench

Interesting.
I noticed the same when I did them for a time. I always felt like my wrists were my weakest link in that exercise - even wrapping them.

There are several variations that people "call" the JM press. I used a cambered bar with the technique Blakely described himself on video. Haven't done them forever since I almost never have a spotter anymore (one I trust, anyway).

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 02:37:47 PM »

Interesting.
I noticed the same when I did them for a time. I always felt like my wrists were my weakest link in that exercise - even wrapping them.

There are several variations that people "call" the JM press. I used a cambered bar with the technique Blakely described himself on video. Haven't done them forever since I almost never have a spotter anymore (one I trust, anyway).
I actually use jm presses with lighter weight and super high reps..if I’m really after size for whatever reason I will do them in the smith machine...it’s the only thing that piece of shit is good for

Bench

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 03:51:37 PM »
Make sure you don't already have tennis elbow.
c

Sexybeast777

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 05:12:48 PM »
call me crazy, but my wrists never bothered me with close grip bench presses

Jona

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 09:10:17 PM »
I have never done JM presses but this is the 2nd post i have seen (one on another forum). Will have to add these in

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 03:59:01 AM »
I have never done JM presses but this is the 2nd post i have seen (one on another forum). Will have to add these in

It's worth watching videos that demonstrate one or two variations, as well.

In one of Jim Blakely's originals, he mentions that that the technique he demonstrates is THE JM PRESS the way HE invented it. But, he also then goes on to say that there are other "versions" that are slightly different, but he feels are quite effective for many trainers.

Many videos will contain "JM Press" in the title, but if you're interested in seeing the true Jim B. original:

edit: For some reason, I've been having issues imbedding youtube videos. Here is the link instead:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 04:15:17 AM »
Here's a clip of Eric Spoto demonstrating his method:

I doubt many people would argue that Eric's version is in any way inferior.
 ;)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 10:04:15 AM »
Thanks, chaos!!!

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 09:52:21 AM »
I actually use jm presses with lighter weight and super high reps..if I’m really after size for whatever reason I will do them in the smith machine...it’s the only thing that piece of shit is good for

Bench

Whats a light weight for you stud?

Probably 300 right :D

Jona

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 10:23:46 AM »

It's worth watching videos that demonstrate one or two variations, as well.

In one of Jim Blakely's originals, he mentions that that the technique he demonstrates is THE JM PRESS the way HE invented it. But, he also then goes on to say that there are other "versions" that are slightly different, but he feels are quite effective for many trainers.

Many videos will contain "JM Press" in the title, but if you're interested in seeing the true Jim B. original:

edit: For some reason, I've been having issues imbedding youtube videos. Here is the link instead:

Great to know thanks for clarifying