Author Topic: UFC 247  (Read 8995 times)

Flexacon

• Getbig V
Re: UFC 247
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2020, 09:55:20 PM »
Reyass (for days) putting up a a great fight, but you fear the next 2 rounds will go in favour of Jones. Might need a knockout or submission though.

Tkeeze

• Getbig II
  • 281-330-8004
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2020, 09:57:44 PM »
You are right...it works!!!

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2020, 09:58:41 PM »
Reyass (for days) putting up a a great fight, but you fear the next 2 rounds will go in favour of Jones. Might need a knockout or submission though.

Yep!  It will be interesting to see if Jones can pull off a finish in the remainder of the fourth round, or in the fifth.

Some people in the live chat have Dominick Reyes up 3 rounds to 0 so far.  :o

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2020, 10:01:03 PM »
The announcers should just suck Jones' dick already. ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2020, 10:01:12 PM »
You are right...it works!!!

Glad it worked out for you!  I think this fight was definitely worth watching.  A lot more entertaining than the 40 second main event last time out, lol.  ;D  Not to knock on Conor, but it was a fight that was over almost before I realized it had gotten started.  :D :-X

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2020, 10:01:47 PM »
3-1 Reyes for me. Jones needs a big round and some shitty ifbb type judging to win

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2020, 10:07:30 PM »
It looks like it may be 48-47 for Dominick Reyes!

[fair judging/scorecards permitting]

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2020, 10:09:56 PM »
3-1 Reyes for me. Jones needs a big round and some shitty ifbb type judging to win

These judges made at least two awful decisions tonight - if not three.

At least two fights had judges scoring, respectively, one round, two round, and three rounds of three for one of the fighters.

Lol @ one judge giving a fighter 1 of 3 rounds, another giving that same fighter in that same fight 2 of 3 rounds, and the third judge giving that same fighter in that same fight all 3 of 3 rounds.

So yeah, given how horrible some of the judging was tonight, it wouldn't surprise me if we get a decision here that is just as bad as some we have seen in the IFBB.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2020, 10:10:00 PM »
Bad call, although not the worst one ever.

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2020, 10:10:06 PM »
Wish I had been able to watch this one.  Jones has won multiple questionable decisions and has been given chance after chance after failed drug tests.  It’s time for him to go and get some fresh faces.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2020, 10:12:43 PM »
LOL - WHO THE FUCK GAVE JON JONES 4 OF 5 ROUNDS?

PLEASE!

That was a 48-47 at best!  It would have been like when GSP "won" 48-47 against Hendricks by two judges in a split decision, when it should have probably been 48-47 for Hendricks across the board.

I would be less annoyed with 48-47 Jones here, or a split decision with 48-47 from two judges awarded to Jones, with one judge giving the fight 48-47 to Reyes.

But 48-47, 48-47, and 49-46, all for Jones...I can't respect that...

:-X :-X :-X

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2020, 10:14:17 PM »

PLEASE!

That was a 48-47 at best!  It would have been like when GSP "won" 48-47 against Hendricks by two judges in a split decision, when it should have probably been 48-47 for Hendricks across the board.

I would be less annoyed with 48-47 Jones here, or a split decision with 48-47 from two judges awarded to Jones, with one judge giving the fight 48-47 to Reyes.

This

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2020, 10:15:47 PM »

PLEASE!

Yeah, pretty shitty. They keep trying to say the takedowns were the difference, bullshit, Jones wasn't able to keep him down or cause damage the short time he had him down.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2020, 10:25:47 PM »
This is 2 fights in a row for Jones where the majority here think he lost.  Obviously the UFC is hanging on to him but why?  From what I understand, he isn’t a particularly big draw and he’s always a liability to get caught doping.  I don’t really follow the sport so I may be wrong about this but it seems like it would be better business to move on with someone new.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2020, 10:27:36 PM »
Everybody had to be impressed with Reyes but to take a title away it has to be a pretty decisive win. Jones' has been looking less impressive in his last few fights. I don't know if it's because the competition is getting better or he's starting to fade. I mean, he's been champ for about ten years now. Now seems to be the cut off point for the super greats like St.Pierre and Anderson Silva.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2020, 10:34:28 PM »
I have a feeling this will be Jones' last fight at light heavyweight. I see him walking away from the division with the most wins and being considered the GOAT in the light heavies. He will then go to the heavyweight division, win the first fight (likely a top 15 guy) and then likely lose his second (possibly a top 5 fighter or championship fight). I think he is getting tired or at least I thought he looked exhausted or empty when walking to the octagon. He almost looked as if he had experienced an adrenaline dump and couldn't find his drive.

I also felt that rounds 1-3 belonged to Reyes and 4-5 were to Jones. Leaving the fight to the judges is never a good idea.

"1"

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2020, 10:54:36 PM »
Everybody had to be impressed with Reyes but to take a title away it has to be a pretty decisive win. Jones' has been looking less impressive in his last few fights. I don't know if it's because the competition is getting better or he's starting to fade. I mean, he's been champ for about ten years now. Now seems to be the cut off point for the super greats like St.Pierre and Anderson Silva.

If it's a close fight, i can see why the.champ would remain.

But why if it's not a close fight does it mean the champ still wins?  How many points is this non-existant rule worth? It can't be as long as a piece of string otherwise you get shit results like this that make a mockery of the sport. 

The take downs cant be awrded because latifi did 3 against lewis and wasnt awarded any points. Both Lewis and the main card was rigged for any decision. It's insane.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2020, 12:28:48 AM »
If it's a close fight, i can see why the.champ would remain.

But why if it's not a close fight does it mean the champ still wins?  How many points is this non-existant rule worth? It can't be as long as a piece of string otherwise you get shit results like this that make a mockery of the sport. 

The take downs cant be awrded because latifi did 3 against lewis and wasnt awarded any points. Both Lewis and the main card was rigged for any decision. It's insane.

I thought it was a close fight. Any doubts the champ always wins. It has to be decisive and clear cut.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2020, 01:10:46 AM »
going by rounds Reyes 3 to 2 all day but in  saying that Jones being champion closed out the fight last two rounds, certainly did enough for an immediate rematch. Great fight, good cardio on Jones have to give him credit he really fight the last two rounds hard, Reyes understandably was exhausted, the judge who had Jones winning 4 rounds to 1 is a disgrace 1 and 2 were easily reyes, the third was closer but he landed more blows and also landed more clean blows.

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2020, 04:01:26 AM »
Was Reyes robbed? (I haven't seen the fight yet)

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2020, 04:32:15 AM »
Was Reyes robbed? (I haven't seen the fight yet)

HIGHWAYROBBERY!
Q

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2020, 04:38:55 AM »

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2020, 09:07:29 AM »
HIGHWAYROBBERY!

Shut up Teddy Atlas.  4-1 Jones is bullshit. 3-2 either way is perfectly legit. Reyes won the first two and Jones won the last two. Round 3 was a close, swing round. It ebbed and flowed.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2020, 09:53:41 AM »
Shut up Teddy Atlas.  4-1 Jones is bullshit. 3-2 either way is perfectly legit. Reyes won the first two and Jones won the last two. Round 3 was a close, swing round. It ebbed and flowed.

I think you summarized it well there...I was thinking about it, and realized that I could have more easily accepted two judges giving Jones 48-47 if the third judge gave Reyes 49-46.

Then you'd get some impression that there was some justice among the judges.

If you look at three of the fights earlier that night, you see how bad some of the judging was:

Andre Ewell def. Jonathan Martinez [judges gave Ewell 28–29, 29–28, 30–27, which meant that one judge gave Ewell 1 of 3 rounds, another judge gave him 2 of 3 rounds, and the final judge gave him all 3 of 3 rounds, LOL...as if all three judges were watching a completely different fight!]

Lauren Murphy def. Andrea Lee [judges gave Murphy 28–29, 29–28, 30–27, yet again a result in the same format is the one directly above, which means that one judge gave Murphy 1 of 3 rounds, another judge gave her 2 of 3 rounds, and the final judge gave her all 3 of 3 rounds, LOL...where is the consistency in judging here??]

Trevin Giles def. James Krause [judges gave Giles a split decision victory in this one, with 28–29, 29–28, 29–28 for Giles, which meant one judge gave him 1 of 3 rounds, and both other judges gave him 2 of 3 rounds...I would have given Krause round one and Giles round two, making them go in to round three 19-19, and then scored round three a draw!  I don't know if that would have made the fight a 28-28 draw, because I don't know if draws are given scores.  If I absolutely had to pick a winner, I would have gone with Giles...so I can accept this outcome, but I wish judges were more willing to score fights draws.  No one is going to be upset with a judge awarding two fighters a draw if the fight is very close].

Derrick Lewis def. Ilir Latifi [all three judges gave Derrick Lewis 29–28, 29–28, 29–28.  Lewis would have won the third round for sure, but I'm not sure which of the first two rounds were given to Lewis...man, is Lewis one scary N when he goes on a flurry/rampage of punches!  Powerful dude!  I really don't know why Lewis should have been awarded either of the first two rounds though...I feel like he was just given one of those rounds due to name favouritism]

And then we have the Jon Jones vs. Dominick Reyes decision...I could have handled a straight up 48-47 Jones, and a split decision, with two judges giving Jones 48-47, and the final judge giving Reyes 48-47 - or even better, the third judge giving Reyes 49-46.  :o

That would have shown everyone that the fight was close, but that there was at least one "rogue" judge, who felt that Reyes won - and not exactly closely at that!

Or even GSP vs. Hendricks style, with one dissenting judge giving Reyes 48-47, the same way that one gave that to Hendricks, which allowed GSP to squeak out a decision victory, but only narrowly.

The awarding of 49-46 for Jones is what annoys me here.

tl;dr

My question is:

Are the judges who score these fights even trained officials, or are they just fight fans?  After all, it's not like UFCs come to Houston, Texas every weekend...so how do they pick the judges for each state?  Are they just fight fans with vague ties to MMA, or are they more qualified than that?

I think one of the commentators was saying that they just pick boxing commissioners to judge UFC fights.  If so, that might make sense why the judging is a bit off, because boxing judges wouldn't know how to judge other aspects of fighting, that we see in MMA.

I've seen far worse decisions happen [including this very night], but it would have been cool if Reyes had the upset victory.

As for Jones...someone wrote in this thread that he isn't a big PPV draw.  Why would that be?  Dude wins every fight he's in, lol.  He doesn't bring the UFC money?  Why would that be?  ???

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2020, 10:10:23 AM »
Judging Lore: "To beat the champ, you have to knock him out."

Jay Cutler: "Hold my ampule of LASIX!"