Getbig Bodybuilding Boards > Training Q&A

Best Damn Workout for naturals

(1/8) > >>

Agnostic007:
https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-workout-plan-for-natural-lifters

I'm 58. I am a weight lifter not a body builder. You can tell I work out but nothing spectacular.  I've been doing a "bro split"for a while. a 4 day routine, back biceps, Legs, Chest Triceps, Shoulders Abs

I came across this workout recently and started it about a week ago. I added calves to the push days and traps and abs to the pull days. I plan on giving it a couple months to see if I get any results. But for you long time lifters, is there anything you would change? I doubt the article was written for people my age but does it matter? Is the frequency too much?

illuminati:

--- Quote from: Agnostic007 on September 22, 2020, 07:16:31 PM ---https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-workout-plan-for-natural-lifters

I'm 58. I am a weight lifter not a body builder. You can tell I work out but nothing spectacular.  I've been doing a "bro split"for a while. a 4 day routine, back biceps, Legs, Chest Triceps, Shoulders Abs

I came across this workout recently and started it about a week ago. I added calves to the push days and traps and abs to the pull days. I plan on giving it a couple months to see if I get any results. But for you long time lifters, is there anything you would change? I doubt the article was written for people my age but does it matter? Is the frequency too much?

--- End quote ---

So many variables that affect how we respond, First I’d give it a good go for a few weeks & see how you get on / Feel.
Report Back then.

It all depends on how hard / intense / how long workouts are / body’s ability to recover
Your food intake / motivation etc etc.

Keep at it & if your feeling tired not recovering I’d add a extra rest day after the Leg day.

Good luck - keep us posted.

IroNat:

--- Quote from: Agnostic007 on September 22, 2020, 07:16:31 PM ---https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-workout-plan-for-natural-lifters

--- End quote ---

It's too much to train 6 days a week as a natty.

Train full-body 2-3 times a week doing 3-6 sets of 5-12 reps per muscle group.  Get 20-36 reps total per exercise.
Change up the exercises every 6-8 weeks if you like.

Sample: All 3x8-12

Calf raise
Squat or leg press
Leg curl
Incline press
Row
Overhead press
Pullup or Lat pulldown
Bicep curl
Wrist curl

27 sets

Throw in some light ab work as a warmup if you like.

ThisisOverload:
That does seem like a lot of frequency, but the volume isn't too high.  I did something similar to this many years ago and it was alright.  The only thing i'm weary of are the rest/pause sets.  I think they are helpful for a few weeks at a time, but i've never benefited from them over a long period of time. 

Agnostic007:
Thanks for the input. I'll give it a try for 6 weeks or so and if it has a negative impact I'll drop it. I like the brevity of the workouts. I do find it pushes me to go heavier since I know I am not doing 4 sets. We'll see. If nothing glaring is jumping out at you then it can't hurt to try it. 1st week was really trying to adjust and learn the 3 types of lifting. I won't really count that. I did notice I was sore more than usual from the sessions.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version