Author Topic: Bitcoins - about to hit $5,000 per coin today!  (Read 760461 times)

Mayday

• Getbig IV
Re: Bitcoins - about to hit $5,000 per coin today!
« Reply #9200 on: January 16, 2023, 03:13:28 AM »
Yo Mayday my man! I am still here. Just lurking, As for the "other guy", I have a very nice post ready for him when we hit 100K.

Hope everyone is doing well... :)

Hi mate, hope all is well :) crazy times huh!

Welcome back Gib. Still holding?

I'd like Army of One to return too so I can ask him how he feels about Richard Heart now.

Previous comments from him including him saying "Richard Heart is god" and "charismatic genius with more reach than anyone in crypto". Claimed Heart would take Pulsechain to heights that Ethereum and Vitalik would never be able to achieve. The brother got  psyoped good.

Gib is a nice guy, well behaved and polite. Have to give guys like that respect.

if we see S&P close to 4,100 then nuke sub 3,500 (maybe 3,200) I’m going gigga long lines of credit just like I did in 2020. my own data tracking is showing we are playing out at twice the speed of history.   I’m assuming we nuke lower but let’s see.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9201 on: January 16, 2023, 03:18:11 AM »
So for a guy who hasn't yet put a dime into bitcoin or its various offsprings... what would you suggest for someone who wants to dabble in crypto with 5 or 10K for a long term investment?

I would offer a few words of advice. Going out to "dabble" in any investment, is not ideal. You need to be well prepared. Read about Bitcoin. Understand some of the distinctions between Bitcoin and alts. Be prepared to HODL! And understand what the phrase "not your keys, not not your coins means".

I do think now is a great time to enter, and I think we will have a great ride as we enter 2024 -2025.

Mentally you need to be prepared for volatility. You could buy BTC now at 21K, and it could quite well in 1 month from now have dropped to 18, 14, or even 9K. Similarly it could be 23, 27, or 32K. The key is to take a long term view, ride it out, knowing that supply is fixed, and adoption and demand is only increasing, and so in the long term this should also be reflected in price.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9202 on: January 16, 2023, 03:21:36 AM »

Gib is a nice guy, well behaved and polite. Have to give guys like that respect.

Awww. The feeling is mutual. I like how the conversation morphed into a discussion on general economics and stocks also by the way. I can't recall if I mentioned back on this chain, that I am actually quite a significant stock investor. I'll jump back into the thread more actively at some point. Just busy at the moment but dropping in to say hi. :)

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #9203 on: January 16, 2023, 06:20:20 PM »
Indeed I am. Now have 55 coins, and I am confident more than ever in BTC.

I also bought a small amount of ETH, despite being a Bitcoin maxi.

Volcano bonds (how ridiculous does that sound) will keep BTC pumping.

Staking yields for ETH will eventually attract a lot money and pump ETH price.

I'm giving the edge to ETH for the next cycle.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #9204 on: January 16, 2023, 06:35:27 PM »

if we see S&P close to 4,100 then nuke sub 3,500 (maybe 3,200) I’m going gigga long lines of credit just like I did in 2020. my own data tracking is showing we are playing out at twice the speed of history.   I’m assuming we nuke lower but let’s see.

I am waiting for those prices too, but getting more and more doubtful if we'll see it. Everyone went short in Sept/Oct last year and the slow climb up must have hurt them. Who is gonna go short now? Bad earnings are expected and other things like natural gas and oil prices are more bullish.

It doesn't look like we'll get a nuke from a major fund or bank blowing up either. Maybe October was the bottom and it's sideways now. I'm playing a few stocks this week cos volatility, but I'll keep waiting after that.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #9205 on: January 16, 2023, 07:08:20 PM »
I would offer a few words of advice. Going out to "dabble" in any investment, is not ideal. You need to be well prepared. Read about Bitcoin. Understand some of the distinctions between Bitcoin and alts. Be prepared to HODL! And understand what the phrase "not your keys, not not your coins means".

I do think now is a great time to enter, and I think we will have a great ride as we enter 2024 -2025.

Mentally you need to be prepared for volatility. You could buy BTC now at 21K, and it could quite well in 1 month from now have dropped to 18, 14, or even 9K. Similarly it could be 23, 27, or 32K. The key is to take a long term view, ride it out, knowing that supply is fixed, and adoption and demand is only increasing, and so in the long term this should also be reflected in price.

Thanks.. I plan on holding for awhile

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9206 on: January 18, 2023, 04:20:52 AM »
I am waiting for those prices too, but getting more and more doubtful if we'll see it. Everyone went short in Sept/Oct last year and the slow climb up must have hurt them. Who is gonna go short now? Bad earnings are expected and other things like natural gas and oil prices are more bullish.

It doesn't look like we'll get a nuke from a major fund or bank blowing up either. Maybe October was the bottom and it's sideways now. I'm playing a few stocks this week cos volatility, but I'll keep waiting after that.

99% are convinced we have a biblical crash from here. My Twitter feed is filled with Tesla single digits dollar calls 😂 every fucker is shorting at 4,000 expecting 2,000.

I try to be open minded and We have 2 proper inflationary cycles in our lifetime to look at:

99% say it’s 70s which was epic crashes and chop for 10yrs
The 40s had an initial 25% crash then a 2x followed by another 2x

We had a 27% crash back in October. The forward looking question is what are we planning economy wise. The 40s featured massive economic and trade reform as we globalised. Today with deglobalisation we are faced with massive economic and trade reform.

I have NFI but it’s worth pondering In the 40s, people were calling for a collapse all the way into the 50s….. but yet this happened 👀

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #9207 on: January 18, 2023, 01:31:32 PM »
Indeed I am. Now have 55 coins, and I am confident more than ever in BTC.

I also bought a small amount of ETH, despite being a Bitcoin maxi.

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9208 on: January 20, 2023, 05:40:31 PM »

22,600  :D

It would be bloody funny if we somehow ended back up at 60k lol.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #9209 on: January 20, 2023, 06:34:58 PM »

The Genesis chapter 11 bankruptcy should allow for an orderly sell off so no further nuking hopefully (unless it's with the stockmarket)

I'll be happy with a 40K top, I'd even take 30k.

I've converted all the crap I mined into Algo. Need it to pump x2 to cover my costs. BTW the Australian banks have gone and done their stablecoin. (Eth and Algo rails)

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9210 on: January 20, 2023, 06:59:30 PM »

Let me explain myself on the ETH, and the possible criticism that this is a betrayal of my BTC maxi beliefs.

Whilst I believe eventually almost all alts will collapse (and in any case will be restricted from most regulated exchanges due to being unregistered securities thus heavily impacting their value, legitimacy and liquidity), I did buy ETH purely for speculative reasons as I believe it will move upwards along with BTC for a period of time. (Of course the same "logic" could be applied to all "alts", I know). There is a huge risk that ETH will be enforced as a security by the SEC this year (and the same decision followed by many other countries) and that of course is very bullish for BTC as money moves into the only real "crypto commodity". Also, ETH is becoming increasingly centralized (as opposed to BTC which is totally decentralized and where all the safe money is thus moving - and this is big money, from conservative family offices, HNWs, hedge funds, pension funds, etc), and over time the pitch that ETH's "proof of stake" is "better for power consumption" will also be its downfall due to the resulting centralization - after all the whole reason we moved away from fiat was due its centralized control and the risks that brings. ETH is constantly changing at a whim of a few people in control, whereas BTC is consistently constant due to is decentralized nature.

Not sure if that fully makes sense, but I really remain a BTC maxi. I have not even recently looked at how much ETH I have accumulated, but I am guessing i hold around 3% ETH vs all the rest BTC other than a tiny bit of alt shrapnel I bought for fun to support friends etc who were "launching projects".

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9211 on: January 21, 2023, 01:51:42 AM »
I really do hope lessons are learned this time around.

Ignore the scam coins, which inevitably appear every new cycle.

During this next cycle, despite all we should have learned, we will see shysters promoting a "this is a better bitcoin" or this is the most exciting "new crypto project" etc. Those who already experienced the last cycle (or the last 2 cycles) will already have hardened bullshit / scam battle scares. But with every cycle come a new cohort of newbies, and of people who still didn't learn their lesson last time around.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

United (with Bitcoin) we stand. Divided (with "crypto") we fall.

See you all at 100k! (Especially you Mr Anabolic...)

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #9212 on: January 21, 2023, 07:38:38 AM »
I was hoping it'd hit sub 10k gbp before going in.

For me, it reaching 100k from this point isn't worth the risk. As it'd only be about 80k gbp, which is x4.

I get that from investments into my business and it's a tax write off.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #9213 on: January 21, 2023, 07:39:54 AM »

The range before the FTX crash was 20-25k. Personally, I’d fade the breakout at 25k.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #9214 on: January 21, 2023, 07:50:32 AM »
Pretty much all the major asset classes have been flat the past 6 months or longer. Under these conditions, traders have a tendency to front run breaks. This leads to them getting worked by the market makers.

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9215 on: January 21, 2023, 02:55:03 PM »
The range before the FTX crash was 20-25k. Personally, I’d fade the breakout at 25k.

23,100  :D

It’s sitting smack bang on dominance resistance right now. If this rally has legs it will break above and run towards the next 2 higher levels. 29.1k top level perhaps? Market is shorting crypto like a MOFO.

On a structure front, 2023 has no wick below the opening. Only other year that had no wick below was 2011. if price has moved lower already I’d be more comfortable in this rally being a good one but high odds we create new lows this year.

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #9216 on: January 21, 2023, 03:13:16 PM »
Let me explain myself on the ETH, and the possible criticism that this is a betrayal of my BTC maxi beliefs.

Whilst I believe eventually almost all alts will collapse (and in any case will be restricted from most regulated exchanges due to being unregistered securities thus heavily impacting their value, legitimacy and liquidity), I did buy ETH purely for speculative reasons as I believe it will move upwards along with BTC for a period of time. (Of course the same "logic" could be applied to all "alts", I know). There is a huge risk that ETH will be enforced as a security by the SEC this year (and the same decision followed by many other countries) and that of course is very bullish for BTC as money moves into the only real "crypto commodity". Also, ETH is becoming increasingly centralized (as opposed to BTC which is totally decentralized and where all the safe money is thus moving - and this is big money, from conservative family offices, HNWs, hedge funds, pension funds, etc), and over time the pitch that ETH's "proof of stake" is "better for power consumption" will also be its downfall due to the resulting centralization - after all the whole reason we moved away from fiat was due its centralized control and the risks that brings. ETH is constantly changing at a whim of a few people in control, whereas BTC is consistently constant due to is decentralized nature.

Not sure if that fully makes sense, but I really remain a BTC maxi. I have not even recently looked at how much ETH I have accumulated, but I am guessing i hold around 3% ETH vs all the rest BTC other than a tiny bit of alt shrapnel I bought for fun to support friends etc who were "launching projects".
There is no such thing as true decentralization. The BTC blockchain is under the control of two mining entities.

https://coingeek.com/smoke-miners-myth-of-btc-network-decentralization-exposed/

Bitcoin also changes. There were a few updates, most recently in 2021 with Taproot. And more updates will be in Bitcoin's future.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/12/bitcoin-taproot-upgrade-what-it-means.html#:~:text=Dado%20Ruvic%20%7C%20Reuters-,The%20first%20bitcoin%20upgrade%20in%20four%20years%20has%20just%20been,to%20take%20effect%20in%20November.

POS still required work. Anyone is free to set up a validator, so long as they have 32 ETH in a wallet. As a validator, you have to provide hardware, electricity, and Internet, and the node has to be updated as required. Therefore the validator is doing work to secure the network. That flies in the face of the Howey test.

What work is Michael Saylor doing to secure the Bitcoin network? All he did was buy BTC. Why did he do that? Because he expects the value to go up and therefore he can profit off the work of "others" - the miners and other investors driving up the price. See you can make an argument from many sides. One could argue that Bitcoin satisfies the Howey test for those that are not putting any work in to secure the BTC network. And the same goes for Ethereum, Cardano etc. ETH was also deemed to not be a security by Hinman.

Now we all know governments are corrupt. First of all, one should realize the SEC is not there to really protect investors. Their job is to maintain the status of the powers that be. So it would not surprise me if they try to claim in the future that Ethereum is a security. But they would have to prove it. Perhaps Ethereum should lower the threshold for solo staking and get many more validators on board to completely demolish any arguments of centralization.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cryptocurrencies-ether/u-s-sec-official-says-ether-not-a-security-price-surges-idUSKBN1JA30Q

Theoak*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9217 on: January 21, 2023, 11:20:31 PM »
There is no such thing as true decentralization. The BTC blockchain is under the control of two mining entities.

https://coingeek.com/smoke-miners-myth-of-btc-network-decentralization-exposed/

Bitcoin also changes. There were a few updates, most recently in 2021 with Taproot. And more updates will be in Bitcoin's future.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/12/bitcoin-taproot-upgrade-what-it-means.html#:~:text=Dado%20Ruvic%20%7C%20Reuters-,The%20first%20bitcoin%20upgrade%20in%20four%20years%20has%20just%20been,to%20take%20effect%20in%20November.

POS still required work. Anyone is free to set up a validator, so long as they have 32 ETH in a wallet. As a validator, you have to provide hardware, electricity, and Internet, and the node has to be updated as required. Therefore the validator is doing work to secure the network. That flies in the face of the Howey test.

What work is Michael Saylor doing to secure the Bitcoin network? All he did was buy BTC. Why did he do that? Because he expects the value to go up and therefore he can profit off the work of "others" - the miners and other investors driving up the price. See you can make an argument from many sides. One could argue that Bitcoin satisfies the Howey test for those that are not putting any work in to secure the BTC network. And the same goes for Ethereum, Cardano etc. ETH was also deemed to not be a security by Hinman.

Now we all know governments are corrupt. First of all, one should realize the SEC is not there to really protect investors. Their job is to maintain the status of the powers that be. So it would not surprise me if they try to claim in the future that Ethereum is a security. But they would have to prove it. Perhaps Ethereum should lower the threshold for solo staking and get many more validators on board to completely demolish any arguments of centralization.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cryptocurrencies-ether/u-s-sec-official-says-ether-not-a-security-price-surges-idUSKBN1JA30Q

Gib gave up his btc maxi status when he bought into ETH.

Eth is a long con and theoretically broken from the  beginning trying to pack way to much functionality into a layer one protocol.
BTC is the internet of money. So if you think about that being layer one the lightning network layer two then you'll see other layers develop ontop of it and that's how protocols and distributed network architecture  actually work. The whole btc is old tech is garbage touted by conmen  looking to cash in on the supposed next btc2.0. The chance to kill btc was 2011-2012 maybe those early days with something  new. Now I would assign less than 2% chance of anything ever dethroning the king.

Btc will and is going after everything, it will not be a light switch moment where flick off to on and everything is based  off btc settlement layer. As much as I'd like that, it's a process which takes time and btc isn't ready....yet. I'd say next 10-20 years.

All POS networks are doomed from the start, it's subject to politics its subject to controls and just centralises over  time (long con). Its basically just replicating fiat  the existing system.

Obsidian you know how difficult staking without a centralised entity can be, hence  you using coinbase.  99% are full retard and or lazy when it comes to money.

That's not to say Eth isn't going to outperform btc for near term future and be around for awhile. I'm not for an extra 60% on my money in a centralised coin when it's already up 300x in something that's truly decentralized.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #9218 on: January 22, 2023, 06:23:09 AM »

Eth is a long con and theoretically broken from the  beginning trying to pack way to much functionality into a layer one protocol.
BTC is the internet of money. So if you think about that being layer one the lightning network layer two then you'll see other layers develop ontop of it and that's how protocols and distributed network architecture  actually work.

It must have been a long time since you've looked at Eth. It had working layer 2 rollups long before lighting network came along on Bitcoin. Once EVM compatible (Ethereum-equivalent allowing smart contracts) layer 2s make it to market then current rollups can work as layer 3 and the doors open for everyone.

As far as "protocols and distributed network architecture" goes ethereum is ahead of everyone in the space, both in terms of progress and people/projects involved.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9219 on: January 22, 2023, 06:15:41 PM »
Gib gave up his btc maxi status when he bought into ETH.

BTC is the internet of money. So if you think about that being layer one the lightning network layer two then you'll see other layers develop ontop of it and that's how protocols and distributed network architecture  actually work. The whole btc is old tech is garbage touted by conmen  looking to cash in on the supposed next btc2.0. The chance to kill btc was 2011-2012 maybe those early days with something  new. Now I would assign less than 2% chance of anything ever dethroning the king.

Btc will and is going after everything, it will not be a light switch moment where flick off to on and everything is based  off btc settlement layer. As much as I'd like that, it's a process which takes time and btc isn't ready....yet. I'd say next 10-20 years.

All POS networks are doomed from the start, it's subject to politics its subject to controls and just centralises over  time (long con). Its basically just replicating fiat  the existing system.

Obsidian you know how difficult staking without a centralised entity can be, hence  you using coinbase.  99% are full retard and or lazy when it comes to money.

That's not to say Eth isn't going to outperform btc for near term future and be around for awhile. I'm not for an extra 60% on my money in a centralized coin when it's already up 300x in something that's truly decentralized.

Dude, I fully agree with everything you have said here. ETH will inevitably fail, for various fundamental reasons, including those you have mentioned - how long that will take, who knows. Further there is real regulatory risk on the horizon with ETH, due to its history of its founders issuing tokens to themselves, which can never be undone or reversed. We are seeing this with Ripple also. Eth may very well be enforced as a security this year (and as such would be an illegal unregistered security), and that in turn will require all regulated exchanges to cease allowing it to be traded, of course leading even more inflow into BTC as "crypto investors" realize the implications.

Eth was really, in many wats, essentially an affinity scam on Bitcoin - maybe even well intentioned. What needs to happen, and I believe will happen, is that we all come to collectively agree and undersand that BTC is the global base layer of value. And we then build on top of that for more efficient transfers, smart contracts, defi etc, all of which was as envisaged by Satoshi. Creating a whole separate, centralized, system, where the technology itself is traded as a store of value as a competing base layer, is really is a perversion of all that Bitcoin stands for.

I really only bought a little ETH as I think its possible that in the short term it will rise in value with BTC, maybe even at a sharper % gain due to lower market cap and due to misunderstanding that it is a "better technology". On numerous occasions I have met relatively intelligent people, new to this space, who in a well meaning manner ask you "Oh, but what about Eth? It can do smart contracts and all that. Now Eth really is quite interesting technology. And its more energy efficient". It really takes time for people to fully understand, and comprehend, at a fundamental principles level, and at a philosophical and economic level, the importance of the distinction between Bitcoin and all other alts. But please be assured, I am a very much a BTC maximalist (at least in so far as knowing that BTC is the ultimate, original, and most perfect form of global digital store of value). I have not betrayed the cause!

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9220 on: January 24, 2023, 01:54:29 AM »
Mining related, I have taken positions in metals and miners.

we are in a tightening phase however…… it appears to me too many people are now ‘pro’ level CPI analysts.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9221 on: January 24, 2023, 04:25:46 AM »

we are in a tightening phase however…… it appears to me too many people are now ‘pro’ level CPI analysts.

Regarding metals, I am of the view that a significant chunk of Bitcoiners will form part of a new generation who appreciate and desire gold (and vice versa). For my, it was my interest in Bitcoin which actually turned me on to gold. Now I own both, although substantially more Bitcoin than gold.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #9222 on: January 24, 2023, 03:22:29 PM »

Anything with Lithium exposure? Been looking to get involved, but don't know if it's too late now.

I hold some physical gold and used to be involved in spot silver. Price is heavily manipulated though, but it does benefit occasionally from a short squeeze.

Did you pick up any bitcoin mining stocks?  :D I'm gonna pick up £10k of $Mara in the morning just for bants

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9223 on: January 24, 2023, 09:40:56 PM »
Anything with Lithium exposure? Been looking to get involved, but don't know if it's too late now.

I hold some physical gold and used to be involved in spot silver. Price is heavily manipulated though, but it does benefit occasionally from a short squeeze.

Did you pick up any bitcoin mining stocks?  :D I'm gonna pick up £10k of $Mara in the morning just for bants

Lithium is interesting. I have a friend who runs a metals fund. He is very bullish on Lithium. The obvious question of course is how much future demand is already priced in.

I think a some point we may see a surge in demand for real, physical gold. Not paper gold. And when that happens, if all fake paper gold gets squeezed out (like with fake BTC FTX) it could lead to huge demand for the real thing.

For BTC miners, be careful, but yes right now they could be a good buy. They usually trade at a multiple to BTC (both on the upside and the downside) kind of like a leveraged bet on BTC (much like gold with gold miners).

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9224 on: January 25, 2023, 04:02:36 AM »

Positioning more for silver right now as Silver hasn’t squeezed yet. When it goes, it’ll tap $60 without much drama. Right now feels similar to 2010-11 when I did a play in silver.

For lithium and energy i Think the market goes up short term. I think the market interprets CPI and Fed actions incorrectly and they end up ‘front running’ by mistake which triggers FOMO this year.

Notice how everyone is now a Pro on CPI, Fed rates and ‘pivoting’?. Seriously I have had some people in my estate with the IQ of a shovel tell me about rates right now and CPI. Fkn 😂 so one one hand we have Uber bearish collapse people shorting the market and on the other we have sidelined cashed up people looking to 100x front run the Fed pivot.

We know we need a deflationary event to trigger inflationary policy. It could very well be this rally/FOMO ramps shit to spastic levels which then blow up and crash, ironically creating the deflationary event to allow the true inflationary response to occur.  99% are calling for a recession worse than the GFC….. this suggests something really fucked up is going to happen this year so I reckon a spastic rally followed by a crash nukes 99% lol