Author Topic: Mike Mentzer was a genius  (Read 19457 times)

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
Mike Mentzer was a genius
« on: January 26, 2023, 05:48:04 PM »
He took Arthur Jones info, refined it and was shunned for this but in the end, there's no doubt all things considered and equal Heavy Duty Training or HIT is the optimum training protocol for muscle growth. Note I said OPTIMUM.

I'm very glad he exposed the IFBB's and Arnold's corruption. And it's totally understandable why he walked away. Exposed the ads in the mags and their fake promises and lies. In the reasons all end in greed as the reason as always.

If Mentzer's training was the prevailing protocol and brief and infrequent trips were the norm, there'd be alot less hours spent in gyms and much more results and quicker assuming
nutrition was adequate for training and rest of 4-7 days after a session.  Genetic potential would be reached faster and 75% of the supplement industry wouldn't exist.

Mike was one of a kind and his contributions will reverberate for a long time.

Here's a gem for the gym.

pamith

• Getbig V
Re: Mike Mentzer was a genius
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 06:22:43 PM »
Bro...

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 06:23:16 PM »
He left because he lost and couldn't get over it.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 06:23:20 PM »

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 06:29:50 PM »
I have trained HIT in the original and then the 4 day split form and finally in the last version.  The last version I followed to the letter and it was brutal.  I could not train again for a week or more.  And I didn't grow or get stronger.

The original version is, to me, the best but still I did not get any stronger or bigger.  The main ingredient that Mike left out was....STEROIDS.

The drugs are the ONLY thing that truly separates the so-called "genetically superior champs" from the rest of us that are supposedly "genetically inferior" to them.    With steroids (and Mike admittedly took them), you grow.  And grow...And GROW.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 07:18:14 PM »
He took Arthur Jones info, refined it and was shunned for this but in the end, there's no doubt all things considered and equal Heavy Duty Training or HIT is the optimum training protocol for muscle growth. Note I said OPTIMUM.

I'm very glad he exposed the IFBB's and Arnold's corruption. And it's totally understandable why he walked away. Exposed the ads in the mags and their fake promises and lies. In the reasons all end in greed as the reason as always.

If Mentzer's training was the prevailing protocol and brief and infrequent trips were the norm, there'd be alot less hours spent in gyms and much more results and quicker assuming
nutrition was adequate for training and rest of 4-7 days after a session.  Genetic potential would be reached faster and 75% of the supplement industry wouldn't exist.

Mike was one of a kind and his contributions will reverberate for a long time.

Here's a gem for the gym.

You only like it because you are lazy and think you only have to train once or twice a week.  There.  You've been exposed.  Again. 

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 11:42:28 PM »
Personally feel hit/abbreviated training (mentzer, mcRobert ect) gained a lot of its popularity due to people switching from routines too high in volume and making the switch start to gain again as body defatigues from all the volume

Again this just personal opinion but find somewhere in the middle ground to be better, 6-10 working sets to failure a week per body part, few different exercises per body part to ensure complete development. 

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2023, 01:19:21 AM »
Finding the volume level your body can handle and then doing that consistently for years > any fad routine. Every person has a different genetic make up, so there is no best routine.

Learning to listen to your body is the way to avoid injuries and keep from burning out.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2023, 01:26:15 AM »
I respond better to high intensity than volume. In the long run i find extreme high intensity to be very taxing to the nervous system and even to the muscle itself. Nowadays i never rep to failure, otherwise i burnout quickly.

I believe Mike took his own example as the norm and not very people is blessed with great genetics like him. He was know to get in shape very quickly even eating like a bird.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2023, 01:39:20 AM »
Personally feel hit/abbreviated training (mentzer, mcRobert ect) gained a lot of its popularity due to people switching from routines too high in volume and making the switch start to gain again as body defatigues from all the volume

Again this just personal opinion but find somewhere in the middle ground to be better, 6-10 working sets to failure a week per body part, few different exercises per body part to ensure complete development.
Dead on. Ironically natural trainers seem to train with (s)HIT more than anyone else and they gain the least from it. Naturals need more frequency rather than destroying themselves in 1 workout and then recovering for several days.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2023, 04:13:22 AM »
The video that Wiggs posted; listen to the first 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

Mike essentially said that if you can: overcome confusion, and learn to use logic and rational thinking, you will never need a “training guru”

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2023, 04:35:43 AM »
He was a genius .......

Until October 4, 1980 .

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2023, 07:53:59 AM »

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2023, 08:09:28 AM »

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2023, 10:12:45 AM »
Why train everyday when you can train once a week??

GymnJuice

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2023, 10:29:47 AM »
Why train everyday when you can train once a week??

Because we don't know your secret chest workout bro

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2023, 10:30:45 AM »
Because we don't know your secret chest workout bro
Bro...

irishdave

• Getbig V
  • It ain’t over ‘TIL it’s over
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2023, 10:51:33 AM »
HIT like Dorian? It’s bullshit

Wayne Tracker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2023, 11:12:54 AM »
Mentzer original workout when he first successful in the  mid 1970's was a three day a week full body workout with ~ 4-5 sets per body part which is ~ 12-15 sets per week
Then he moved to a 4 day split still with low but not unreasonably low volume and then the three day spit advocated by Frank Calta, again with low but not crazy low volume

By the end of his short life he seemed to have fried his brain and was advocating insanely low volume and frequency
The workouts were around 4 sets IN TOTAL once every 4 days

I always thought it was odd that Mentzer's "less is better" philosophy didn't extend to meth, cigarettes or steroids

Why not a half a Dbol tab ever 4 days ?

&t=47s

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2023, 12:54:04 PM »
Just another guy who claimed to be a training genius by telling people to do the opposite of what they were doing for a while so their body could adapt and grow.

irishdave

• Getbig V
  • It ain’t over ‘TIL it’s over
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2023, 12:58:28 PM »
Mentzer original workout when he first successful in the  mid 1970's was a three day a week full body workout with ~ 4-5 sets per body part which is ~ 12-15 sets per week
Then he moved to a 4 day split still with low but not unreasonably low volume and then the three day spit advocated by Frank Calta, again with low but not crazy low volume

By the end of his short life he seemed to have fried his brain and was advocating insanely low volume and frequency

I always thought it was odd that Mentzer's "less is better" philosophy didn't extend to meth, cigarettes or steroids

&t=47s

Because his protocols are nonsense and genetics is what created him. He was nothing special either, very narrow

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2023, 01:00:47 PM »
Tbh all that matters is that you get stronger and heavier overtime, while benching twice your body weight and your deadlift/squat should be 3 times your body weight

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2023, 06:26:44 PM »

&t=47s

This almost sounds like a Matt C. protocol.   ;D

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2023, 01:12:14 AM »

&t=47s
By the very end of his life he had clients only training once every 3 weeks. ::)

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2023, 03:24:38 AM »
By the very end of his life he had clients only training once every 3 weeks. ::)

No. 7-10 days