Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 422162 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #1700 on: March 11, 2021, 03:48:29 PM »
Still with the cardio and limited lifting. It was 70 degrees and sunny here in NJ. I drove to the park and it was packed after a long cold winter.  Still testing how far I can push this Achilles.  I warmed up with a slow quarter mile then ran a moderate two miles at a little over a 9 minute pace. Roughly about a 6.6 MPH pace.  Felt great running in shorts and a tee shirt. Only very slight pain in the tendon so I think I'm good after a year of aggravation with it. When I get back to lifting I will start posting it. 

I said it before but I have always felt the psychological effects of working out.  Too many session of lifting taking it to the ragged edge sometimes makes me feel down instead of being in good spirits.  Running and stuff like biking is a different animal. It always makes me feel up and it's a powerful antidepressant. It also gets the creative juices flowing. Maybe it's the rush of continual blood pumping into the brain.  A few months back I read a great book by a psychiatrist who put together studies on cardio and the mind. It was an eye opener. The book was really dry but it had some revelations. One was how grades improved in high school kids that did cardio as part of the their health and physical education requirement. It was a professional study. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #1701 on: March 11, 2021, 04:46:01 PM »
Endorphin rush no doubt.

3.8 walking pace is fast.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1702 on: March 12, 2021, 11:01:54 AM »
Got a walking treadmill day in today. Now true running begins.  The Achilles is holding up. It's been tested hard this week with all the incline walking and one run.  I think I'm good to go.  I did what I call my  ladder walking program.  Again, starts at zero incline and every lap (quarter mile) it goes up 1% incline or grade. Different manufactures call it either incline or grade. For clarification these are not intervals but continuous walking. Walking on an incline for me seems to keep it flexible and hopefully injury free.

3.8 MPH for a quarter mile (one lap 440 yards) at 0% incline
3.8 MPH for a quarter mile (one lap 440 yards) at 1% incline
                                                                         2% incline
                                                                         3% incline
                                                                         4% incline
                                                                         5% incline
                                                                         6% incline
                                                                         7% incline
                                                                         8% incline
                                                                         9% incline
                                                                         10% incline
                                                                         11% incline
                                                                         12% incline
final quarter mile at 3.8MPH at level ground          0% incline

Hit the heavy bag after.  I will get back to lifting but this week off of lifting has been a well needed break. I usually don't plan breaks and I've been overly obsessive about never giving myself a break so this is a slight change to my method of operation.

I always try to look my best during the summer and I think I'm on track barring injuries. Just losing ten pounds I should be where I want to be. 15lbs would be better but I have to be realistic. I was drinking beer and eating jelly beans binge  watching that Larry David show on HBO last night.   

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1703 on: March 15, 2021, 04:54:34 PM »
Back and chest day before work.  I have to wear ear buds because I have to keep the house quiet in these early morning hours. I usually like to blast the stereo. Felt a little weak from all the cardio I did the week before. I was going to radically change my workouts but here I am doing the same old.

MAG grip pulldowns 2 x 10 Increased the weight for the second set
Seated long pulley row with a V handle 2 x 12
Dumbbell rows 2x 10 with knee on the bench
Reverse grip pulldown 2 x 10

Decline dumbbell bench 2 x 8
Weighted dips 2 x 10
Standing one arm band fly 2 x 12 (attached a band to a weight support pillar in my basement. A physical therapist said this is a safer alternative to regular dumbbell flies. No extreme stretch in the beginning with a long lever meaning the arm with a dumbbell. The band has naturally low resistance with the rubber band to start. I really don't like band training. No resistance in beginning then too much at the end. Typing this 11 hours after the workout and my shoulder is hurting slightly. Don't know if it's the culprit but I have a suspicion.)
Push ups 2 x max ( one set regular and one set with those perfect pushup handles. The handles let me get a good stretch too. The handles let your hands go where they want to go so many it's a better option.)

deadlifts 2x 4 (I was in between songs doing these and I never knew the noises my spine makes. It doesn't sound good but no pain. Normally can't hear it because of the loud music.)
Weighted hyper extension 2 x 15

Ab wheel roll out 2 x 22
Pulley crunch 1  x 50

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1704 on: March 16, 2021, 04:22:26 AM »
Interesting how you can hear all that stuff when you have earplugs/buds in.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1705 on: March 16, 2021, 03:32:28 PM »

I wear Bose headphones when I watch television. Mainly so I can hear the dialog without having to crank up the volume on the sound bar which would disturb the rest of the folks in the house. They are supposed to be noise cancelling, but they aren't...at least not when I am wearing my hearing aids.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1706 on: March 16, 2021, 04:57:25 PM »

Confused. I wrote I was in between songs. Ear buds doesn't create silence. Even when I shoot firearms in an indoor range I can talk to the guy next to me with ear plugs and ear muffs.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1707 on: March 17, 2021, 04:06:36 AM »
Confused. I wrote I was in between songs. Ear buds doesn't create silence. Even when I shoot firearms in an indoor range I can talk to the guy next to me with ear plugs and ear muffs.

I understand how you can hear your joints crackling with ear buds in...when you are between songs during the silence.

Same way you can if you plug your ears.  You hear those internal noises.

Do you think I've not shot guns with ear protection and also talked to co-shooters in between firing?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1708 on: March 17, 2021, 10:54:56 AM »
I understand how you can hear your joints crackling with ear buds in...when you are between songs during the silence.

Same way you can if you plug your ears.  You hear those internal noises.

Do you think I've not shot guns with ear protection and also talked to co-shooters in between firing?

I don't know what you small town cops do.  You wrote it's interesting how you can hear the spine cracking with ear buds in so I addressed that. Like I said I was confused by your comment.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1709 on: March 17, 2021, 10:58:05 AM »
Leg day:  Leg day stinks but a necessary evil.

Leg press 2 x 12
machine squats 2 x 10
dumbbell squats 1 x 12
stiff deads 2 x 6
leg extensions 2 x 20
seated leg curls 2 x 15

Dumbbell side bends 1 x 15 (single dumbbells)
Hanging straight leg raises 2 x 22
Hip ups 1x30

Standing calf 2 x 15
Seated calf 2 x 15

neck work

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1710 on: March 17, 2021, 06:09:36 PM »
I don't know what you small town cops do.  You wrote it's interesting how you can hear the spine cracking with ear buds in so I addressed that. Like I said I was confused by your comment.

Ok, my bad.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #1711 on: March 19, 2021, 06:45:29 AM »
I wear Bose headphones when I watch television. Mainly so I can hear the dialog without having to crank up the volume on the sound bar which would disturb the rest of the folks in the house. They are supposed to be noise cancelling, but they aren't...at least not when I am wearing my hearing aids.

Active Noise Cancelling headphones sample via microphones the noise around you and work to cancel out certain frequencies via producing frequencies that are polar opposites.  This is how some luxury cars are so quiet.  I think I got that right as my older brother explained it to me because I have a couple of those kinds of headphones.

As for training I am not yet allowed so I read this and IroNat's thread.  I am listening to DooWop music through my new laptop that I go and a pair of $35 headphones connected to it.  I cannot wear headphones or those in ear things when I do train.  I like music and may turn on the internet radio in the garage when I train. 

We now return control of the thread to you, the people that actually train.   ;D

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1712 on: March 19, 2021, 08:36:47 AM »
You're always welcome here, Scott.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1713 on: March 19, 2021, 06:13:47 PM »
Scott hope you can get back to training soon.

Delt and arms: Just the usual.

Military press 2 x 8 (weight cleaned from the floor)
Dumbbell delt lateral 2 x 12
Dumbbell rear delt lateral 2 x 10
Rope pulls 2 x 12
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10

Tricep pulley push downs 2 x 10
Single dumbbell with two hands triceps 2 x 12
Decline dumbbell extensions 2 x 10 (New exercise for me. Worked out great. Felt great.)

Alternate dumbbell curls 2 x 8
Barbell drag curls 2 x 10
Single dumbbells scott curls 2 x 10

barbell wrist curls 2 x 25
wrist extensions 2 x 15

Weighted crunches 1 x 50
Pulley crunches 1 x 25 (I upped the weight a lot to see how it feels. Normally set the weight for around 50 reps)

Got a new app on my phone called Lose it. It's basically a calorie counter. I wrote in the input area I wanted to lose 10lbs.  It said they set the system to make that goal happen by June and even gave a day that I forgot.  I was going to start today but baby sitting my grand daughter made it a little bit of chaos.  I just plugged in my breakfast. It said I ate half of my allowed calories. Holy smokes!! I had a cheese three egg omelet, hash brown, banana, Orange juice and something I never ever eat a Boston crème doughnut because my grand daughter had one and she  wanted me to have one. This was 50% of my calories for the day. Tomorrow will be the first day of really applying  this app. I think I'm going to be very hungry. Don't know if this is the right method for me but I will give it a shot. Why is losing ten pounds so hard?

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1714 on: March 19, 2021, 06:27:33 PM »
It sucks.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1715 on: March 19, 2021, 07:12:03 PM »
Active Noise Cancelling headphones sample via microphones the noise around you and work to cancel out certain frequencies via producing frequencies that are polar opposites.  This is how some luxury cars are so quiet.  I think I got that right as my older brother explained it to me because I have a couple of those kinds of headphones.

As for training I am not yet allowed so I read this and IroNat's thread.  I am listening to DooWop music through my new laptop that I go and a pair of $35 headphones connected to it.  I cannot wear headphones or those in ear things when I do train.  I like music and may turn on the internet radio in the garage when I train. 

We now return control of the thread to you, the people that actually train.   ;D

Very interesting information regarding how noise cancelling head phones work. I just have to remember to remove my hearing aides when wearing the headphones because they are very sensitive and likely work against the noise cancelling science.

Noise canceling is not a feature I have in the last car I bought....it has everything else anyone can imagine cameras, auto headlights, door locks and wipers, radar cruise control, Blue tooth and so on. I still like the car, it is paid for and even though it is 5 years old now, I've only put 27,000 miles on it....so I guess I'll keep it for awhile longer.

Gyms are open now in Oregon. They usually have some background music which works for me when training. The next set of hearing aids I get will be able to stream music direct from my phone. The current one's are only compatible for streaming with an IPhone and I prefer an android. I think with the new technology, I could also stream from the television.

Maybe you can't train right now, but I am pretty sure you are welcome in this training thread. It may keep you inspired. And you can always offer advice since you've been training for a long time. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1716 on: March 21, 2021, 01:04:52 PM »
For the first time ever I'm trying to diet seriously. My method of operation is grazing all day so it's going to be tough to input what I eat into this program I'm using. It's called Lose It. It's an app on my phone. I did my fast walking incline program today for nearly an hour. The Lose IT app gave me credit for 450 calories. Still have a good amount of calories left for the day with breakfast and lunch over. I just hate it though. Normally I would have had a couple of snacks by now.  I truly eat an incredible amount of calories every day.  The Lose It app said after I put in all my information that my goal of getting to 175lbs would be achieved by June if I followed their program.  I'm around 187lbs now. We shall see. Don't know if I can stick with this. I have a work ethic with working out and zero discipline with eating. I will give it a shot.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1717 on: March 21, 2021, 01:30:19 PM »
For the first time ever I'm trying to diet seriously. My method of operation is grazing all day so it's going to be tough to input what I eat into this program I'm using. It's called Lose It. It's an app on my phone. I did my fast walking incline program today for nearly an hour. The Lose IT app gave me credit for 450 calories. Still have a good amount of calories left for the day with breakfast and lunch over. I just hate it though. Normally I would have had a couple of snacks by now.  I truly eat an incredible amount of calories every day.  The Lose It app said after I put in all my information that my goal of getting to 175lbs would be achieved by June if I followed their program.  I'm around 187lbs now. We shall see. Don't know if I can stick with this. I have a work ethic with working out and zero discipline with eating. I will give it a shot.

The way to achieve your goal is to do it because you want to and you're choosing to and not because you think you have to.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1718 on: March 21, 2021, 05:43:05 PM »
The way to achieve your goal is to do it because you want to and you're choosing to and not because you think you have to.

I'm hungry! Day one of dieting out of the way. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1719 on: March 22, 2021, 04:42:09 PM »
Ran two slow miles today in freezing cold. It was 32 when I ran but it got up to around 50 later in the day.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1720 on: March 22, 2021, 04:45:35 PM »
Ran two slow miles today in freezing cold. It was 32 when I ran but it got up to around 50 later in the day.

Geez, how early in the morning was it when began your run? 50 degrees is almost shorts weather.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1721 on: March 23, 2021, 04:15:21 PM »
Geez, how early in the morning was it when began your run? 50 degrees is almost shorts weather.

Just a drastic change of temperature in one day.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1722 on: March 23, 2021, 04:18:27 PM »
Just a drastic change of temperature in one day.

Not much different than it is here this time of year. Today, it is presently 53 degrees with a low of 35 degrees. At least it isn't raining.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1723 on: March 23, 2021, 04:30:59 PM »
Did a Yates type work out. I didn't list warm ups. Sometimes I used one warm up and some exercises got none.

Dumbbell flat bench 1 x 8
Decline dumbbell bench 1 x 10
Weighted dips 1 x 10
Push ups 1 x max (Tried to go low and controlled rep speed.)

EZ bar curls 1 x 14
Alternate dumbbell curls 1 x 10
Drag curls 1 x 13
Concentration curls 1 x 12

Wrist curls 1 x 30
Wrist extensions 1 x 21

Ab roll out 1 x 25
Ab pulley crunch seated 1 x 50

Still using the free Lose it app. They say I can eat 1830 calories a day. It seems drastically low and I'm not feeling great eating so little. The part I really like about the app is that is substracts calories from your workouts. For example for lifting it gives you low, medium or high intensity to choose from and how long the work out took. Naturally there is a lot of guesstimate in their calorie count but it lets me eat more while still staying under that 1800 something guideline they want me to stick to. Their running caloric estimates are probably pretty close. They want the minutes per mile and total time. When I was first experimenting with the app they gave me 450 for a treadmill workout. The extra calories I can eat and still stay under the 1830 is a welcome thing. 

I have to admit I eat too much but  combined with lifting with running and I get lean. Now with age it's like a switch was flipped and I gain weight far too easy.  I could easily get over 200lbs at 5'8" but of course that would include a lot of fat. Last I weighed myself I was 187lbs.  Trying to get to 175lbs. Seems almost impossible but this time I'm actually dieting.  I love to eat what I want when I want. I never withhold food so this is drastic for me.  ;D What is going to happen to cocktail hour tomorrow? 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1724 on: March 24, 2021, 05:40:42 AM »
Just don't eat sugar and crap and drink booze and you'll lean up.

Really simple.