Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 421922 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2018, 08:57:48 PM »
Woke up early before work and ran two miles in a park. Damn GPS watch broke and I feel I was flying but have no way of knowing. I have a new GPS watch coming by Amazon. I hope I wasn't delusional about my time.

GPS watches have too many functions that aren't necessary. I only want distance, time and average pace. Seems like most people want a lot more functions.  I'm just not a fan of linking it to my phone or computer. I don't care about my heart rate. I don't need to know each mile split but that could be useful.  I ordered a $90 Timex GPS because they kept saying it was simple to operate. Nothing pisses me off more than a  40 page instructional book and a million functions.

Tomorrow is a complete day off from lifting and cardio. The predicted weather is rain in NJ but if it's just cloudy I will body surf waves for fun. The ocean is loaded with sting rays in shallow water for some reason.  I hope I don't get stabbed.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2018, 07:03:29 PM »
Trained back and chest today. Becoming a broken record with what I do. I need a change. Feeling a little weak from cardio. Getting leaner but not as fast as I would like.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2018, 06:53:58 PM »
Trained legs yesterday. Second time I used a power squat position in recent times. Strange but my knee feel better using this position. Staying away from the leg press for awhile. Work out started with me not wanting to work out but after warm ups I got into the groove. Still using relatively light weights for the squat. I have to get into the groove of using a wide stance again after using narrow for years. I did get up to 260lbs. I know that's super light but I again I haven't power squatted in many years.

Today I did treadmill intervals of 6 x half miles.

1 x 880 yards (half mile) 8:24 mile pace
5 x 880 yards at 8:00 mile pace
1 x 440 yards (one lap) at 6:50 pace

Warmed up with a quarter mile fast walk and the same for cool down.

I hit the heavy bag for two rounds after. I think my shirt weighed 2 pounds from sweat.

Staying around 182. I want to get to about 170lbs to 175LBS eventually. I don't know if it's in the cards for me but I'm working on it.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2018, 04:28:04 PM »
Trained delt and arms today. No warm ups listed.

Dumbbell shoulder press standing: 2 x 8 55lbs (all the way down. I like standing better than sitting. Sitting turns into an incline press.)
Dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 30lbs
Dumbbell rear laterals 2 x 10 45lbs.
Machine delt laterals 2 x 10 80lbs
Dumbbell shrugs 2 x 10 95lbs

Two hand one dumbbell seated tricep extension 2 x 12 75lbs
Tricep pushdowns pulley 2 x 12
One arm behind head dumbbell tricep 2 x 10 20lbs ( elbow hurt. Went light and strict)
Bodyweight dips 1 x max

Dumbbell alternate curls 2 x 8 45lbs
Concentration curls arnold style standing 2  x 10 25lbs
scott curl with short barbell 2  x 10 (believe it or not I rarely use the scott curl. Go a rarely good pump. I will definitely use it from now on.)

Forearm wrist curl 2 x 20 95lbs
Reverse pulley curl 2 x 12

ab coaster 1 x 35 60lbs
ab machine crunch 2 x 20

Floated in the pool drinking wine after.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2018, 06:11:11 PM »
Today was a scheduled running day but I didn't get it in. I was going to get up before work but it didn't work out. At 3Am the most incredible storm came through. Two giant trees in my neighbors yard broke in half. Luckily it hit nothing. My yard was okay. Neighbors were talking about a tornado but that's nuts. It was a really bad thunder storm. The craziest part was when the wind, lightening and thunder hit  we looked out the window in the darkness and there was a man running down the block. Who the fuck is out 3AM in a  thunder storm?

Today after work I went to the boardwalk and hit a roof top bar. The bar was hopping. Down stairs was a Rock cover band and the roof top was a DJ. There was a bridal party bachelor  pre wedding thing going on. The DJ was encouraging them to dance. They did not disappoint. One girl was bending over dancing and another was humping her. Great fun drinking Guinness watching the "show". Pouring rain again tonight as I type this.

Hopefully tomorrow I will make up for the missed cardio session if I'm not too hung over.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2018, 04:42:11 AM »
Way cool to live on the shore.

If it is not too personal, where approx. on the NJ shore do you live?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2018, 08:04:41 AM »
I live near Sea Side Park near the bay.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2018, 08:02:32 PM »
Ran two miles in the 8:00 minute something range. I really have to lose weight. Banged the heavy bag after.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2018, 04:45:09 AM »
Losing weight sucks.

For me to have success at it I have to monitor my calories.

Only around 1700 calories total.

I've been doing a 18 hour fast everyday for the past week.  Two meals between 3PM and 9PM.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2018, 05:31:42 AM »
Losing weight sucks.

I've been doing a 18 hour fast everyday for the past week.  Two meals between 3PM and 9PM.

1700 calories! I eat that for a snack.  I realize now that I can't out work a diet like I easily did when I was younger.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2018, 03:34:33 PM »
Trained legs: no warm ups listed.

Dumbbell squats 2 x 12 85lbs (Back upright and sink butt all the way.  Not deadlifting the weight. Squatting it. Really tough exercise.
Hack squats 2 x 12 (sank them. I see everyone in the gym doing half hack squats with a million pounds.)
butt kick back machine 2 x 12 (Another tough exercise. Never see guys using this machine. Put the pin low and it's really hard.)
leg extension 2 x 12 150lbs
leg curls 2 x 12 110lbs

standing calf 2 x 13 180lbs. My home calf I use 325lbs. At this commercial gym 180lbs feels heavy.
seated calf 2 x 15 90lbs

four way nautilus neck machine. Two sets a side.

ab coaster 1 x 35 60lbs (tried to go really high and somewhat slow back)
ab wheel 1 x 25
hanging leg raise 1 x 23

Gym Observations:  This one guy is about 55 and uses about 5 upper body machines every time he comes in. He puts the pin on the bottom of the plates then proceeds to use a partial range of motion then struts like a peacock that he uses more weight than anyone. An example of this is the seated shoulder press machine. Instead of putting the seat up to get a full range of motion he puts the seat as low as it goes so he is doing less than a half a rep. Of course the pin is in the lowest plate. What a beast. He's not the only one but one of the worst offenders. When in doubt do an exercise in the hardest way instead of the easiest way. It's the muscle you are training and not your ego.

Power lifters are growing in my gym. Most gyms won't let you deadlift and complain about their floors. The owner of this gym couldn't care less if you brought in your pet monkey to train. It's getting harder to use the power cage for squats because he only has one. One of my observations about power lifters is that they train one exercise forever. Not uncommon for a power lifter to use the squat racks for 45 plus minutes. Five minutes between sets, really?

Also surprised by the growing number of young girls training at this hard core gym. Girls in their 20's and 30's are training really hard here. The owner makes you sign no contract except an injury waiver. Quit when you want and you're done. The fancy chrome palace you need a lawyer to figure out the 12 plus paragraph contract. They will only stop deducting from your credit card on a full moon and an even day with exactly 40 day, 3 hour and 17 minute notice. Other than that  you are shit out of luck.

I trained at my home gym for decades but have come to love this hell hole hard core gym. The people for the most part are really friendly and it's like a training family.  I can tell the way people are dressed if they will join once a new person walks in. Dressed head to toe in brand new work out gear they are in shock looking at this place and head for the door.  His treadmills are at least 20 years old. The machine maybe 30 plus.  He finally got around to repading the benches. He actually has one of the first Hammer strength machines ever made and it looks like Gary Jones made it in his garage.  

This gym also has a convict and out law biker guys that work out there. They generally work out late so I rarely see them.  I never use the locker room. I come dressed to work out. One guy told me homosexuals hang out there hoping to score. Only went in there once to take a leak and an old man was drying his balls with the hand dryer.  

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2018, 05:50:05 PM »
You work out a lot harder and more often than me so you need more food without a doubt. 

Your gym sounds interesting.  Belonged to a YMCA in my early training days.  What a dump and some strange characters in there, even an old guy walking around in a near-thong.  Weird.  Some ok folks too.  That old YMCA got demolished a few years later.  I wonder where the rats went?

Used to belong to great hardcore gym but moved several times over the years and since the 90s have trained at home.

Haven't been in a commercial gym since although there a several chain gyms in my area.  Have heard the stories about them getting into your credit card.

A good non-chain gym is not easy to find nowadays.  Not much money in it.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2018, 06:52:51 PM »
While it's fun to train with a lot of variety the older I get the more I question if it's necessary. Maybe for a competing bodybuilder but for a guy trying to train athletically and for fitness it's not needed. I think when I eventually down size my house I'm going to miss my basement gym. I bet nothing would change physique wise for me If I had power blocks with a bench with a dip/chin attachment.

Regarding losing weight I really lack self discipline to diet. I have always been able to out work my diet and eat anything I want diet. Now that I'm older my weight is creeping up so that is no longer the case. I have to take my calories down. The worst is at night watching tv. I crave the usual garbage like chips and ice cream.  

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2018, 12:42:14 AM »
Losing weight sucks.

Good move. There are no secret formulas to successful weight loss. What works is simple really, eat less and you'll eventually weigh less. Less calories in than out does the trick. Ongoing fasting doesn't strike me as being much fun.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2018, 12:48:48 AM »
You work out a lot harder and more often than me so you need more food without a doubt. 

Your gym sounds interesting.  Belonged to a YMCA in my early training days.  What a dump and some strange characters in there, even an old guy walking around in a near-thong.  Weird.  Some ok folks too.  That old YMCA got demolished a few years later.  I wonder where the rats went?

Used to belong to great hardcore gym but moved several times over the years and since the 90s have trained at home.

Haven't been in a commercial gym since although there a several chain gyms in my area.  Have heard the stories about them getting into your credit card.

A good non-chain gym is not easy to find nowadays.  Not much money in it.

Don't believe everything you hear. Chain gyms wouldn't want to risk their reputation on your credit card. If you're on Medicare, like me, you get free gym memberships. Working out at home has it's advantages, but it ultimately gets old, which for me is a major disadvantage. Besides, where would I wear my new thong if it weren't for the gym?  ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2018, 12:49:53 AM »
While it's fun to train with a lot of variety the older I get the more I question if it's necessary. Maybe for a competing bodybuilder but for a guy trying to train athletically and for fitness it's not needed. I think when I eventually down size my house I'm going to miss my basement gym. I bet nothing would change physique wise for me If I had power blocks with a bench with a dip/chin attachment.

Regarding losing weight I really lack self discipline to diet. I have always been able to out work my eat anything I want diet. Now that I'm older my weight is creeping up so that is no longer the case. I have to take my calories down. The worst is at night watching tv. I crave the usual garbage like chips and ice cream.   

There are small houses with basements.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2018, 10:59:07 AM »
There are small houses with basements.

True but I would have to down size my equipment. When I built this house I paid extra for a 9' basement so I can lift over head. It's roughly 1400 sq feet.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2018, 11:04:19 AM »
Cardio day on treadmill: No warm up or cool down listed.

6 x 880 yards (half mile) @ 8:00 minute mile pace (7.5 MPH). The rest between the runs was a fast walk for one lap (440 yards) at 3.8 MPH.

I felt this run. In my younger years it would have been an easy workout but now I'm shot. LOL. Ended the workout hitting the heavy bag for a couple of rounds.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2018, 12:56:43 PM »
True but I would have to down size my equipment. When I built this house I paid extra for a 9' basement so I can lift over head. It's roughly 1400 sq feet.

Build a house that fits your exact needs for now and in the future, like high ceilings and easy access (wider openings and hallways), etc. Will it have a pool?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2018, 06:06:14 PM »
Build a house that fits your exact needs for now and in the future, like high ceilings and easy access (wider openings and hallways), etc. Will it have a pool?

Wish I had that kind of money. Retired now and money is no where near when I was working. I'm downsizing to save money. If I wanted a nice pool, plenty of land and really nice house I would stay where I am. Finances are telling me to downsize. When I move to a smaller house I will take the equity in this house to pay off an inexpensive small house and use the rest of the money for a bank account. Unlike a lot of people my age I have no inheritance from deceased parents or inlaws.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2018, 02:07:02 PM »
Trained delts and arms. I won't bore you with all the exercises. Trained about 6 sets to failure per body part. Left shot. Now I'm drinking a beer and cleaning the pool. Hate cleaning the pool but I'm really love the pool to be beyond clear and clean. I live near the woods and it's impossible to keep it perfect for more than a couple of days. Sad to say when I visit someone with a pool I check out the cleanliness of the pool.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2018, 02:53:32 PM »
Wish I had that kind of money. Retired now and money is no where near when I was working. I'm downsizing to save money. If I wanted a nice pool, plenty of land and really nice house I would stay where I am. Finances are telling me to downsize. When I move to a smaller house I will take the equity in this house to pay off an inexpensive small house and use the rest of the money for a bank account. Unlike a lot of people my age I have no inheritance from deceased parents or inlaws.

Like you pretty much everything I have, my wife and I earned on our own, although we both inherited a small amount from families, that was many years ago.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2018, 02:41:00 PM »
Woke up at 5:30Am. Ran two short miles then went to work. When I came home I Floated in the pool and drank rum. Cool for August. About 80 here and cloudy. For dinner I cooked up a scallop dish with linguine. Used butter, virgin olive oil and plenty of garlic. Played classics through a bose speaker. Sinatra, Martin, Darin, Vale, Davis, Bocelli and others were singing. . Mainly Italian guys. Planned a vacation on the internet.

Weighing 181. Down from 190lbs. I think a realistic goal will be to get down to 175lbs. I'm sure today I gained weight today  ;D. Drank like a fish and ate like a gorilla.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2018, 02:43:41 PM »
Woke up at 5:30Am. Ran two short miles then went to work. When I came home I Floated in the pool and drank rum. Cool for August. About 80 here and cloudy. For dinner I cooked up a scallop dish with linguine. Used butter, virgin olive oil and plenty of garlic. Played classics through a bose speaker. Sinatra, Martin, Darin, Vale, Davis, Bocelli and others were singing. . Mainly Italian guys. Planned a vacation on the internet.

Weighing 181. Down from 190lbs. I think a realistic goal will be to get down to 175lbs. I'm sure today I gained weight. Drank like a fish and ate like a gorilla.

Ever try black rum?

You can really taste the molasses in it. 

Bought a bottle of Bacardi Black Rum.  It's good and cheap too so if you don't like it no biggie.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #124 on: August 25, 2018, 02:48:20 PM »
Ever try black rum?

You can really taste the molasses in it. 

Bought a bottle of Bacardi Black Rum.  It's good and cheap too so if you don't like it no biggie.

It's amazing that Bacardi was a Cuban product but the family fled to Puerto Rico when  Castro came. We had a bottle of Bacardi from Cuba when I was a kid.  I was drinking Bacardi dark rum today with lime, splash of ginger ale with club soda. Simple and good.