Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 421743 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #150 on: September 05, 2018, 04:20:29 PM »
Ran three miles under a 9 minute pace. It was 91 degrees. Really humid. Afterwards I hit the gym to hit the heavy bag.

Not sure running 3 miles in 91 degree and humid weather is a very good idea for anyone.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #151 on: September 05, 2018, 05:08:22 PM »
Not sure running 3 miles in 91 degree and humid weather is a very good idea for anyone.

I've always been a little nuts. Some would say more than a little.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #152 on: September 06, 2018, 09:33:03 AM »
Another cardio today on the treadmill.

8 x 440 yard (quarter mile) intervals. One lap around the track.

2 x quarter mile at 7:30 Pace or 8.0 MPH
2 x quarter mile at 7:19 Pace or 8.2 MPH
2 x quarter mile at 6:59 pace or 8.6 MPH
1 x quarter mile at 6:49 pace or 8.8 MPH
1 x quarter mile beginning at 6:40 pace (9.0 MPH) and last 220 at 6:15 pace ( 9.6 MPH)

Hit the heavy bag for two three minute miles.

One observation I had that might be a bit of bro science but it's my empirical knowledge. When I train heavy with low sets and heavy weights I tend to gain more fat due to neglecting cardio. It's hard to lift good numbers if I'm running like a lunatic.  Trying at least for now to include more cardio.  I went from around 190lbs to 181lbs recently. Hope to lose another 10 pounds but I might be dreaming. I like how I look with the perma bulker look in clothes. Just don't look ideal with the shirt off. The picture I put up on this thread is me roughly about 190lbs I believe. Starting to look a leaner now.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: September 06, 2018, 02:57:30 PM »
Pretty soon, you'll be as skinny as I am, 172 this morning.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #154 on: September 07, 2018, 10:10:19 AM »
Trained the whole body today. Started from the largest body part down to the smallest. Who ever said whole body routines were for beginners are nuts. It's absolutely the hardest way to train. Doing body part splits is without question easier. So beat up right now that I felt like I was hit by a bus.

Tried something different for calves. I do the normal standing, seated and leg press calf thing. I was reading Flex Lewis does body weight calf raises with just a plate to elevate the front of his front of his foot. Since my Achilles on my right leg is very sore and I suspect it's from stretching the calf during calf training I wanted to try something different. I set up the plate and used a machine for balance. I tried to use a decent smooth cadence. I did 50 reps and my calves were on fire. I did one more set of 40. I went all the way up.  I might stick with this for awhile until my Achilles heal.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #155 on: September 07, 2018, 11:57:53 AM »
Trained the whole body today. Started from the largest body part down to the smallest. Who ever said whole body routines were for beginners are nuts. It's absolutely the hardest way to train. Doing body part splits is without question easier. So beat up right now that I felt like I was hit by a bus.

Tried something different for calves. I do the normal standing, seated and leg press calf thing. I was reading Flex Lewis does body weight calf raises with just a plate to elevate the front of his front of his foot. Since my Achilles on my right leg is very sore and I suspect it's from stretching the calf during calf training I wanted to try something different. I set up the plate and used a machine for balance. I tried to use a decent smooth cadence. I did 50 reps and my calves were on fire. I did one more set of 40. I went all the way up.  I might stick with this for awhile until my Achilles heal.

I often do bodyweight only calf raises with a short isometric at the top. My calves aren't big, but they are well defined.

A friend who constantly wore cowboy boots, switched to low healed shoes. After a couple of days he could barely walk because he was in so much pain.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #156 on: September 07, 2018, 04:31:07 PM »
I often do bodyweight only calf raises with a short isometric at the top. My calves aren't big, but they are well defined.

A friend who constantly wore cowboy boots, switched to low healed shoes. After a couple of days he could barely walk because he was in so much pain.

I have zero calves but I always train them. Bill Grant laughs at my calves.  Tommy Hearns the great fighter laughs at my calves. I've been feeling this for a long time but when I over stretch my calves that damn tendon gets sore. Maybe the old adage applies. First do no harm. I know conventional wisdom is that calves grow best with an extreme range of motion. I'm beginning to think that for at least for mine it's too much stretching under tension that is damaging for my Achilles.  

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #157 on: September 08, 2018, 04:58:51 AM »
Woke up at 5 in the morning today before work for a cardio run. Drove the two miles to the park I like and the rain came down in buckets so I canned the run.  In my younger years I would have run in the down pour but not today. Drove home and a migraine hit. Not a good start to the day. I will get that cardio in tomorrow. Coming home from work and I'm going to watch some college football with a couple of cold ones.  My waist line is coming down with all the cardio I am doing. I think the intervals have been the most beneficial. I would do them all the time but it's too intense and easy to burn out on. Once a week for intervals and the rest steady pace distance runs.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #158 on: September 08, 2018, 04:23:06 PM »
I have zero calves but I always train them. Bill Grant laughs at my calves.  Tommy Hearns the great fighter laughs at my calves. I've been feeling this for a long time but when I over stretch my calves that damn tendon gets sore. Maybe the old adage applies. First do no harm. I know conventional wisdom is that calves grow best with an extreme range of motion. I'm beginning to think that for at least mine it's too much stretching under tension that is damaging for my Achilles.   

Calves are tough to grow....genetics win.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #159 on: September 08, 2018, 05:22:50 PM »
Calves are tough to grow....genetics win.

Maybe I should train calves on the farm where they grow fast.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #160 on: September 09, 2018, 07:29:15 AM »
Just train calves like Arnold and your calves will grow huge in six months.

Don't forget to cut off the bottom of your pant legs.  That's the key.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2018, 05:02:03 PM »
Maybe I should train calves on the farm where they grow fast.

:D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #162 on: September 09, 2018, 05:04:14 PM »
3 Reasons Your Calves Aren't Growing | T Nation
https://www.t-nation.com/training/3-reasons-your-calves-arent-growing
Aug 26, 2014 - The soleus muscle of the calves has a muscle fiber composition that can be up to 90% slow-twitch dominant, and slow twitch muscle fibers have roughly half the growth potential of fast twitch fibers. ... There's another reason that the calves, especially the soleus, are relatively unresponsive to weight training.

This makes sense.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #163 on: September 09, 2018, 05:19:19 PM »
This makes sense.

Read this article and also read how Flex Lewis uses no weight calf raises made me rethink how I train my calves. I guess I can learn new tricks. https://www.t-nation.com/training/no-weights-calf-training

I read the article you put up with it's video. I have a problem with the video. He is bending his knees on his "calf" jumps. It's the exact mistake that the author of the article I put up mentions. Guys can use 400lbs plus in calf machine raises but as he points out keeping the leg straight with no weight and on a single leg most trainers can't do 20 full range reps. Going to use no weight calf raises for awhile and frequently to see how it goes. I experimented with them on Friday and wow did I feel the burn. More importantly my aching Achilles felt great with no strain.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #164 on: September 10, 2018, 09:48:26 AM »
Doing a Yates inspired workout this week. Today is chest and bicep. Tried to do each exercise with a full range of motion and decent moderate speed cadence.

Hammer bench 1 x 9
Dumbbell incline 1 x 10 75lbs (all the way down and controlled cadence)
Flat flies 1 x 15 45lbs
Machine flies 1 x 14 100lbs

Alternate dumbbell curls 1 x 12 45lbs
bar pulley curls 1 x 15
Arnold concentration curls 1 x 12
Scott curls 1 x 11 (really careful with these. I already in the past ruptured my bicep years ago. My boss ruptured his bicep doing scott curls. I don't go all the way down but stop short of full extension.)

forearm wrist curls 1 x 30 95lbs
reverse grip curls 1 x 10

ab wheel roll out 1 x 25
machine crunch 1 x 25

Ran two miles on the treadmill. First in 8:57 pace and the next I started at 8:47 pace and by my last lap I did it in 7:19 pace.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: September 11, 2018, 10:36:19 AM »
You are an azzkicker, bro!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #166 on: September 11, 2018, 06:56:57 PM »
Leg day:

Dumbbell squats 1 x  14 85lbs (back straight and sink butt. Held the dumbbells at my sides with straps.)
Hack squat 1 x 12 (Can't decide if I like hacks. Yates, Platz, and Gironda loved them. Can't decide if it's a good movement for me. I really sink them as far as I can go.)
Butt kick back machine 1 x 14 80lbs
Leg extension 1 x 13 150lbs
Leg curl 1x 12 110lbs

body weight single calf raise 3 x 11
seated calf 1 x 15 95lbs

Neck 4 way 1 set each side

Hanging straight leg raise 1 x 25
ab crunch machine 1 x 24

Walked on a treadmill after legs at 3.8 MPH. Every quarter mile I increased the grade 1%. Ended at 7% and returned to 0 grade for a final lap. Easy cardio day. It lasted about 35 minutes if I remember. Determined to include easy cardio days. Tomorrow I will kill it. (I hope)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #167 on: September 12, 2018, 04:12:07 PM »
Cardio treadmill day. 8 x 440 yards. (quarter miles)

1 x 7:30 pace 8.0 MPH
2 x 7:19 pace 8.2 MPH
2 x 6:59 pace 8.6 MPH
2 x 6:44 pace 8.9 MPH
1 x 6:31 pace 9.2 MPH

Hit the heavy bag for two three minute miles. Had a lot of snap on my punches. Tomorrow is back day. Losing some weight and getting a little weak. The trade off is that I'm losing fat and I bet a little muscle.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: September 12, 2018, 11:55:12 PM »
Cardio treadmill day. 8 x 440 yards. (quarter miles)

1 x 7:30 pace 8.0 MPH
2 x 7:19 pace 8.2 MPH
2 x 6:59 pace 8.6 MPH
2 x 6:44 pace 8.9 MPH
1 x 6:31 pace 9.2 MPH

Hit the heavy bag for two three minute miles. Had a lot of snap on my punches. Tomorrow is back day. Losing some weight and getting a little weak. The trade off is that I'm losing fat and I bet a little muscle.

My weight was a couple of pounds down this morning. I wish it was fat loss, but I know it isn't. If I do nothing else, I need to rev up my cardio workout everyday if I am ever going to rid myself of fatty obliques (love handles) completely. It's that or liposuction.  ;)

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #169 on: September 13, 2018, 04:14:03 AM »
My weight was a couple of pounds down this morning. I wish it was fat loss, but I know it isn't. If I do nothing else, I need to rev up my cardio workout everyday if I am ever going to rid myself of fatty obliques (love handles) completely. It's that or liposuction.  ;)

Or you could eat less which really sucks.

Or a combination thereof.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #170 on: September 13, 2018, 09:15:09 AM »
Back day:

Pulldown 1 x 17 ( I really have to up the weight. Felt a little bicep strain last time so I used a light weight. Felt no strain today)
Seated lat pull with V bar handle 1 x 14 170lbs
Dumbbell row off bench 1 x 12 85lbs
Hammer pull down 1 x 12 160lbs

Dead 1 x 4 315lbs (Really wanted to get at least 6 reps. I have to man up next time and get it.)
Weighted hyper extensions 1 x 20 25lbs plate behind head.

ab wheel roll out 1 x 25
ab machine crunch 1 x 25 95lbs

I went on the treadmill for an easy cardio day. Walked 3.8MPH. Each lap 440 yards I upped the elevation 1%. Stopped at 7% and I could have done a lot more but it was an easy cardio day. Took about 35 minutes. I always start and end with zero elevation. Hoping to get into the 170lbs range at 5'8".  Still over 180lbs. I think I'm losing some muscle and feeling a little skinny. It's all good. At this point I'm for health more than vanity. Truth be told it's pride too.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #171 on: September 13, 2018, 09:53:40 AM »
Walking that pace is really moving fast.

Good job.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #172 on: September 13, 2018, 10:33:27 AM »
Walking that pace is really moving fast.

Good job.

I'm pleased with my progress. Body is starting to tighten up.  One more week of workouts then I'm on vacation for a week. I guess I will just run and use the crappy hotel gym.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #173 on: September 13, 2018, 02:01:32 PM »
Or you could eat less which really sucks.

Or a combination thereof.

74 years old

About 5'10" @ 169 lbs. My goal weight is 175 lbs.

Yesterday and today, my morning weight was under 170 lbs. With a medium to large frame that has carried at least 20 lbs. more much of my adult life, being under 170 is a bit unnerving. I don't have a problem with eating less except for a fear of being skinny. My waist measurement remains at 32" which is 10 or 11" smaller than my chest measurement. I may be stuck with unnecessary fat on my lower back, but I'll never give up on changing that. My glutes and quads could definitely use some added size. Maybe gravity with take care of that for me which is very unlikely.  :)

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #174 on: September 14, 2018, 05:26:57 AM »
74 years old

About 5'10" @ 169 lbs. My goal weight is 175 lbs.

Yesterday and today, my morning weight was under 170 lbs. With a medium to large frame that has carried at least 20 lbs. more much of my adult life, being under 170 is a bit unnerving. I don't have a problem with eating less except for a fear of being skinny. My waist measurement remains at 32" which is 10 or 11" smaller than my chest measurement. I may be stuck with unnecessary fat on my lower back, but I'll never give up on changing that. My glutes and quads could definitely use some added size. Maybe gravity with take care of that for me which is very unlikely.  :)

They recommend a waist half the size of your height and you are under that.

70" / 2 = 35"

Sounds like you are pretty lean.

Definitely keep as much muscle as possible and try to get more.

I'm not a doctor but I play one on Getbig.