Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 422023 times)

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #475 on: April 20, 2019, 07:59:59 PM »
I am a big fan of most of those guys, the sole exception being Bubbles  ;D.  For whatever reason, I can no longer listen to his singing.  It's not that he's bad, I just can't abide him anymore. 

Louie and Keely make me smile.  Louie Prima was the voice of King Louie in the 1967 Disney classic, "The Jungle Book".  Of course we all failed to realize that King Louie was transspecies... ;D ;)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #476 on: April 21, 2019, 12:16:19 PM »
I am a big fan of most of those guys, the sole exception being Bubbles  ;D.  For whatever reason, I can no longer listen to his singing.  It's not that he's bad, I just can't abide him anymore. 

Louie and Keely make me smile.  Louie Prima was the voice of King Louie in the 1967 Disney classic, "The Jungle Book".  Of course we all failed to realize that King Louie was transspecies... ;D ;)

Just got the best of Dean Martin.  Of course he could fill 5 CD's with his best of. The CD I got is fantastic. I just blasted it on my way to work the other day. 

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #477 on: April 21, 2019, 12:27:29 PM »
Just got the best of Dean Martin.  Of course he could fill 5 CD's with his best of. The CD I got is fantastic. I just blasted it on my way to work the other day. 

He is another favorite of mine.  I mourn the passing of so many great singers...I am a big fan of Barry Manilow and my younger brother would raz me all the time until he went to a farewell concert recently with his wife.  He said Manilow was actually very good.   He is more a traditional Country music guy. Nothing wrong with that! ;D

When I train it is usually to Jazz or50s/ 60s/70s/80s music.  Today it was chest/back to heavy metal with my son.  I will have to rest tomorrow and the do shoulders and arms on Tuesday.  I am beat.   ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #478 on: April 21, 2019, 08:00:38 PM »
He is another favorite of mine.  I mourn the passing of so many great singers...I am a big fan of Barry Manilow and my younger brother would raz me all the time until he went to a farewell concert recently with his wife.  He said Manilow was actually very good.   He is more a traditional Country music guy. Nothing wrong with that! ;D

When I train it is usually to Jazz or50s/ 60s/70s/80s music.  Today it was chest/back to heavy metal with my son.  I will have to rest tomorrow and the do shoulders and arms on Tuesday.  I am beat.   ;D

Barry Manilow?  You lost me on that one. Her name was Lola. She was a show girl. Just having fun. If you enjoy his music then that's all that matters. He did write the songs that made the young girls cry. Seriously I remember he use to be a jingle writer for commercials. He must have a lot of money. I remember back in the day my wife would say he has to be a homosexual and I would argue that he was married. The wife was right.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #479 on: April 21, 2019, 08:28:37 PM »
Barry Manilow?  You lost me on that one. Her name was Lola. She was a show girl. Just having fun. If you enjoy his music then that's all that matters. He did write the songs that made the young girls cry. Seriously I remember he use to be a jingle writer for commercials. He must have a lot of money. I remember back in the day my wife would say he has to be a homosexual and I would argue that he was married. The wife was right.

A dear friend of mine worked for him years ago and told me he was homosexual.  While I can and do judge people by their actions I am by no means God (if he exists), ergo my judgment matters not at the end of all things.

Bruce Johnston of the Beach Boys wrote "I Write the Songs" but Manilow gave it life and meaning.  Be well, my friend.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #480 on: April 22, 2019, 06:33:19 PM »
A dear friend of mine worked for him years ago and told me he was homosexual.  While I can and do judge people by their actions I am by no means God (if he exists), ergo my judgment matters not at the end of all things.

Bruce Johnston of the Beach Boys wrote "I Write the Songs" but Manilow gave it life and meaning.  Be well, my friend.

You too. Believe me I don't care if he is a homosexual. I believe the greatest voice in Rock is Mercury from Queen. Saw Queen back in the day and it was a show for the ages. I hope I wasn't insulting because I don't share your appreciation of Manilow.  He has a huge following and you only get that by being a consummate professional and putting on a great show. Some people like Apples. I like Oranges. Like the line from My Fat Greek Wedding, "In the end we are just fruits." What I just typed makes no sense. Off my game. LOL.

Missed a workout today. Exhausted and feeling down. I went to the gym and loaded the bar.  Lifted it for 7 reps and put it down. I walked out of the gym defeated. Maybe I need the time off. Going to get to bed early and hopefully kill it tomorrow.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #481 on: April 23, 2019, 09:35:19 AM »
Had to double up today. Missed yesterday's weight work out. Lifted for back and chest then ran for two miles. It's around 72 degrees here in Jersey. Beautiful day.

Pulldowns 2 x 10
Low cable rows 2 x 12 170lbs
Dumbbell rows 2 x 10 85lbs
Hammer pulldowns 2 x 10

Hammer incline 2 x 8 Up to three plates a side
Dumbbell incline 2 x 8 70lbs (all the way down and slow reps)
Flat flies 2 x 10 45lbs
Cable flies 2 x 12
Push ups 1 x max

Deadlifts 2 x 4 315lbs
Weighted hyper extensions 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind head

Ab wheel roll outs 2 x 23
ab machine 2 x 22 120 lbs.

Gym observations: Watched a 350lbs monster doing concentration curls with pretty good form with 85lbs.  That would break my arms.

On another note I have to get serious about losting 10lbs to 15lbs.  I'm 5'8" 190lbs and I look my best at 175lb to 180lbs. Trying to figure the best routine for that. I flip flop between two decisions. Work out the whole body with weights twice a week and the rest cardio. Or use volume with moderate weights and lift 5 times a week with short cardio after. I hate combining cardio on the same day even though it works. I did it today and felt like I was running in slow motion.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #482 on: April 23, 2019, 02:20:59 PM »
Had to double up today. Missed yesterday's weight work out. Lifted for back and chest then ran for two miles. It's around 72 degrees here in Jersey. Beautiful day.

Pulldowns 2 x 10
Low cable rows 2 x 12 170lbs
Dumbbell rows 2 x 10 85lbs
Hammer pulldowns 2 x 10

Hammer incline 2 x 8 Up to three plates a side
Dumbbell incline 2 x 8 70lbs (all the way down and slow reps)
Flat flies 2 x 10 45lbs
Cable flies 2 x 12
Push ups 1 x max

Deadlifts 2 x 4 315lbs
Weighted hyper extensions 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind head

Ab wheel roll outs 2 x 23
ab machine 2 x 22 120 lbs.

Gym observations: Watched a 350lbs monster doing concentration curls with pretty good form with 85lbs.  That would break my arms.

On another note I have to get serious about losting 10lbs to 15lbs.  I'm 5'8" 190lbs and I look my best at 175lb to 180lbs. Trying to figure the best routine for that. I flip flop between two decisions. Work out the whole body with weights twice a week and the rest cardio. Or use volume with moderate weights and lift 5 times a week with short cardio after. I hate combining cardio on the same day even though it works. I did it today and felt like I was running in slow motion.

You switch things out pretty often. I'd say that is a good part of your continued success. It appears from this post, you have yet to revert to working out at home again.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #483 on: April 23, 2019, 03:37:45 PM »

Routine?

The solution is to eat less.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #484 on: April 23, 2019, 07:36:33 PM »
Routine?

The solution is to eat less.

Workout plays a huge role in developing a lean muscular healthy physique. I know you are not a fan of cardio. Typing this in bed so I don't have the study from the Journal of Applied Physiology but I will find it to cite at another time that had two groups attempting to lose fat. The study was focused on dangerous visceral fat that is behind the abs surrounding organs that can even act as a hormone producer.  The dangerous internal fat that is responsible for diabetes, high triglycerides, high blood sugar and heart disease. One group dieted and the other did cardio. Both lost fat. The diet only group lost mainly subcutaneous fat while the cardio group lost both subcutaneous and visceral.

In an interesting study at Duke University that was cited in Men's Health magazine on August 2012 tracked two groups. One using only cardio for 8 months and the other only resistance training. The cardio group using the equivalent of jogging 12 miles a week lost 8% of their visceral fat while the weight only group saw no change. I will be the first to say how often these studies are flawed in their design.

A study by St. John's  hospital in Minnesota  along with Arizona University did a study on if lifting afforded a cardio training effect. The results were reported in the April, 1985 issue of the Physician and Sport Medicine.  They used 14 Nautilus machines and rushed the trainers through one set to failure on a whole body routine. While a high heart rate was maintained with peaks and valleys the  mean oxygen uptake wasn't there as in cardio exercise. Some would say this is an example of anaerobic training so it won't have an aerobic training effect. The oxygen uptake was far short of the recommended minimum for Vo2 training. The calories used was relatively low at 171 for the men.  

What point am I driving? A hard weight workout might burn 170 to 350 calories dependent upon effort, time, intensity and muscular endurance used. A hard cardio session can use 300 to 500 calories or more. A pound of fat is 3500 calories. Calculating calories burnt through exertion for a month can give you a rough idea of how much fat can be burned through activity alone.

To get ripped you need both weights, cardio and diet. Even Mentzer who was dead set against cardio in his retirement preaching use to write how he use to both run and bike prior to a contest. Many ripped guys who use only weights use volume and plenty of it. Arnold, Franco, and Zane all did cardio.   I don't believe high intensity weight lifting is a good plan to get lean.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #485 on: April 23, 2019, 07:39:53 PM »
You switch things out pretty often. I'd say that is a good part of your continued success. It appears from this post, you have yet to revert to working out at home again.

I do alternate but recently it's pretty much the commercial gym. Almost every thing I can do in the commercial gym I can do at home. I might do my leg workout at home tomorrow.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #486 on: April 24, 2019, 04:12:57 AM »
You can't outrun a bad diet, which is what you are trying to do, and why your weight is going UP.

Yes, exercise burns calories, everybody knows that. 

The booze and restaurant food you eat easily outdistance all the exercise you do. 

Combine all your exercising with calorie reduction if you are serious about losing weight.

It's not fun but that is what you have to do.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #487 on: April 24, 2019, 02:08:11 PM »
Trained legs today: Used my home gym.

Leg press 2 x 12 (low back board and completely bent my legs. None of this carriage moving 15 inches bull shit)
Squat 2 x 8 up to 260lbs ( Tried to go deep and slow)
Squat machine 1 x 10 ( rock bottom)
leg extension 2 x 20
leg curl 2 x 15

Dumbell side bend 1 x 15 90lbs
Hanging leg raise 2 x 23
Hip ups 1 x 25 (hips and feet pushed toward ceiling)
Floor crunches 1 x 50 5lbs plate behind head

Standing calf 2 x 15
Seated calf 2 x 15

Tibalis anterior work 1 x 20 15lbs using a D.A.R.T.

Neck work 1 set a side

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #488 on: April 24, 2019, 02:19:51 PM »
You can't outrun a bad diet, which is what you are trying to do, and why your weight is going UP.

Yes, exercise burns calories, everybody knows that. 

The booze and restaurant food you eat easily outdistance all the exercise you do. 

Combine all your exercising with calorie reduction if you are serious about losing weight.

It's not fun but that is what you have to do.

Truth be told I could stay at the weight I am at right now. I am not a bodybuilder.  I have high standards for myself. I vainly say I get compliments on my build on a regular basis. I just want to reach a peak. Again I'm not a bodybuilder. I'm just a guy that likes to work out. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #489 on: April 25, 2019, 07:40:11 PM »
Ran two miles today. I did striking training after the run. Tomorrow is delt and arms. Thinking about going to whole body training next week.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #490 on: April 26, 2019, 11:48:14 AM »
Delt and arms: Slightly increased the weight in some exercises.

Dumbbell delt press standing 2 x 10 60lbs ( all the way down. No upper arms parallel to the ground half reps while inclining benching the dumbbells seated.)
Dumbbell delt laterals 2 x10 30lbs
Delt lateral machine 2 x 10 80lbs
Rear delt machine 2 x 10 90lbs
Barbell shrugs 2x 10 255lbs

Weighted dips 2x 10 25lbs ( tried to go as low as I could. Last reps I had trouble with lock out.)
Traditional tricep pushdowns with a bar 2 x 13
Rope tricep 2 x 10 90lbs
Reverse grip single arm tricep extension 2 x 12 40lbs

Alternate bicep curls 2 x 8 45lbs
Bicep curl machine 2 x 10 ( I dropped these for awhile. I think I feel them better than scott curls)
concentration curl 2 x 12

forearm wrist curl 2 x 25 95lbs
reverse grip pulley curl 1 x 20
reverse dumbbell wrist extension 1 x 15

Ab coaster 1 x 40 60lbs
ab machine 2 x 22 130lbs

Drank a Fairlife protein drink after. No doubt the absolute best protein drink I have ever had. Best tasting by a million miles and 30 grams of protein n 11.5 oz.  Truly no lactose. I'm very sensitive to lactose and many whey isolate protein sellers flat out lie about not having lactose. Fairlife is truly lactose free. Zero stomach issues.

Going to take two days off of training. Might do cardio on Sunday. I haven't decided. Missed working out Monday so I compressed 5 days of working out into 4 days. Legs are sore and I rarely get sore. Knees are aching and I rarely have knee issues. Think my body is telling me to chill out.  

Had an interesting conversation with a young guy. He was about 30 and looked fantastic. Not in a posing bodybuilder way but he was muscular and very lean. I told him he was one of the few in the gym that didn't cheat exercises. He said he always does a full range of motion. It does cut the weight you can use but if you're not concerned about impressing others in the gym or stroking your ego then making an exercise as hard as you can make it on your body will yield the best results.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #491 on: April 28, 2019, 05:15:59 PM »
Tomorrow I will do a whole body routine. I think whole body routines are the most intense form of training compared to a split. I never understood how some people call it beginner's routines? They obviously never trained the whole body in one day. Mentzer won the IFBB version of the Mr. America using a full body routine. He said he went to a split because a whole body routine was too hard. Same with Viator. He went to a split after his AAU Mr. America win.  I personally like doing multiple exercises per body part. I'm influenced by steroid champions.  In the 40's and 50's whole body routines were the norm for the most part. I like Arthur Jones reasoning of starting with the largest body parts working down to the smallest. Thought about changing exercises each work out for variety but I dismissed it. Going to use what Dickerson suggested. Stick with a plan but change it when you go stale. Also going to cycle the weight used. Going for six increases. My goal weight will be on week six and I will back off 5lbs. to 10lbs per workout.  Meaning if 300lbs is the goal weight for squats then I will start at 250lbs and increase it 10lbs a workout no matter how easy the workout is. I have done this in the past with success. I just have to make sure  the goal weight is a realistic goal.   Also going to watch what I eat somewhat. Famous last words.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #492 on: April 29, 2019, 03:43:42 AM »
Sounds like a plan.

1-2 exercises per bodypart is enough when you train full-body.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #493 on: April 29, 2019, 08:24:17 PM »
I did yard work for three plus hours today of mowing, weed whacking, leaves, and blowing. Then I went to my basement gym. I started with Power clean and jerks 4 x 3.  I haven't done them in long time. The weight used was sad. I use to go up to 225lbs or 235lbs every workout on my last set of power cleans in my general bodybuilding routine ten years ago. After power cleans I went to squats. Felt burned out. Came out of my basement gym and told the same to the wife. She said you haven't missed working out for a week for two years. I though that can't be right. She pointed out we went to California on vacation and Miami the year after I worked out on vacation so I wouldn't miss a week.   Time for a week off. Never had such a long streak before in my life. No wonder my nerves are fried. Think I'm feeling my age a little. Might run a little but I have to give the weights a rest. I won't be posting for awhile but I'll be back.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #494 on: May 03, 2019, 04:00:24 PM »
Still not working out and it's weird. No running or lifting. I have been eating insanely.  I will begin again on Monday.  I have been lifting without any real breaks for two years.  Waking up every day I normally gear up for working out. I wake up now and nothing. It's a big change. I think I really needed a week off. I wasn't sleeping because I was so worked up and  andrenilized . I had hand tremors after my run and I was feeling down. I think I just hammered my body into the ground and it effected me mentally. Every set to failure and running hard eventually caused a crash. Then if that wasn't enough I did strike training hitting the bags.  

I have decades of training journals of what went good. I know I can't do what I did in my youth but things can be modified. I thought doing a whole body routine would be a way to go but decided against it. Decided for a 4 week period I would do a Yates inspired routine. One set to failure using a 4 way split. About 10 years ago or so I had a good 4 week peak doing this. Combined it with running and thought I looked pretty good at that peak.

What I would do is figure out what's a good goal weight for my one set to failure.  It can't be a fantasy but realistic.  Then I back off from that 5lbs to 10lbs a week.  So if a goal is say 100lbs for 10 reps then week one of a four week peak can be 70lbs. So week one to failure would be 70lbs and failing at 17 reps for that one work set. Week two would 80lbs and maybe 15 reps to failure.  Week three is 90lbs and Week four is the 100lbs goal trying to rep out as much as I could with good form and cadence. Of course the weight used and reps is just to illustrate the methodology.

As I type this it's Friday and I'm really dying to get back in the gym. I will hold off till Monday. Can't wait. Emil Zatopek who achieved something in the Olympics that will never be broken. He won the 5K, 10K and then entered the Marathon and won. I believe it was his first marathon. He said this about training. Not an exact quote. Training should push the spring in and it springs back. Too much training will break the spring. Another one is Haney's famous, "Stimulate but don't annihilate."  I have a strong work ethic but sometimes the spring can be damaged.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #495 on: May 03, 2019, 04:39:39 PM »
You can get addicted to training.  The endorphin rush.

You feel you have to train constantly.  You have to lift weights.  You have to run.

If you take a day or two off you feel like you'll detrain.  You have to do more, train harder, run farther, etc.

It's a mental condition like people who always see themselves as too fat or too thin.

Runners have this condition as do bicyclists.  The runner has to run 10 miles a day, every day.  He can't miss his run.

The bodybuilder has to train 6 days a week.  He is never happy with his body.

It's becomes an obsession.  Not good.

Training 2-3 days a week is enough.  4 days a week tops.  No need to spend more time at the gym.

Find something else to do.  Get a hobby.  

Don't spend all your time in a gym.  Don't spend all your time exercising.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #496 on: May 03, 2019, 05:07:06 PM »
You can get addicted to training.  The endorphin rush.

You feel you have to train constantly.  You have to lift weights.  You have to run.

If you take a day or two off you feel like you'll detrain.  You have to do more, train harder, run farther, etc.

It's a mental condition like people who always see themselves as too fat or too thin.

Runners have this condition as do bicyclists.  The runner has to run 10 miles a day, every day.  He can't miss his run.

The bodybuilder has to train 6 days a week.  He is never happy with his body.

It's becomes an obsession.  Not good.

Training 2-3 days a week is enough.  4 days a week tops.  No need to spend more time at the gym.

Find something else to do.  Get a hobby.  

Don't spend all your time in a gym.  Don't spend all your time exercising.

Well stated. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #497 on: May 06, 2019, 04:13:18 PM »
Doing a Yates inspired workout. Used much lighter weights and failed at high reps for a break in period. I left out the weight used because it is light. Using light weights and high reps to failure. I found it's an excellent way to activate muscle memory.

Dumbbell bench 1 x 14
Incline dumbbell bench 1 x 14
Flat flies 1 x 15
Incline flies 1 x 16 (Won't be doing these anymore. It felt painful to the shoulder joint. Done with it.)
Push ups 1 x max

EZ barbell curls 1 x 20
Alternate dumbbell curls 1 x 15
Bar pulley curls 1 x 15
Concentration curls 1 x 25

Forearm wrist curls 1 x 35
Reverse wrist extensions 1 x 31

Ab wheel 1 x max
Incline sit ups 1 x max
Ab pulley crunch 1 x max

Ivanko grip 2 x 20

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #498 on: May 07, 2019, 04:00:00 AM »
Welcome back!

:)

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #499 on: May 07, 2019, 05:09:25 AM »
Welcome back!

:)

This ^!  Well done!