Author Topic: Fresh Start at the Gym....Once Again  (Read 44634 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Fresh Start at the Gym....Once Again
« Reply #125 on: July 08, 2020, 04:47:22 PM »
Still waiting to make another fresh start at the gym. Although they are open, I am not convinced it is the best idea for someone like me who is in a high risk group for age and respiratory concerns for COVID-19 to expose myself to a bunch of hard breathing, droplet spitting gym rats.

Saw my ophthalmologist today who gave me some information about glaucoma prevention. Did you know that the bench press increases the pressure in the eye which can cause or advance glaucoma? On the other hand, exercise such as cardio is beneficial for eye health?

Lifting weights does spike blood pressure. Guys that have blood pressure issues I would think could be causing problems lifting heavy weights. High reps and cardio are much healthier for those with pressure problems.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #126 on: July 08, 2020, 05:10:54 PM »
Lifting weights does spike blood pressure. Guy that have blood pressure issues I would think could be causing problems lifting heavy weights. High reps and cardio are much healthier for those with pressure problems.

Hmm, I hadn't heard this about lifting and high blood pressure. Do you think it has something to do with the intensity of the workout? I'm pretty laid back, even when I'm going for my max weight while doing at least 4 reps. Like I mention before, it is rare that I break out in a sweat. When I am consistent with cardio and do at least 20 minutes on the treadmill or stationary bike several times a week, I think my blood pressure goes down a little.

I do take Metoprolol which is a beta blocker prescribed for hypertension (high blood pressure). Presently, my blood pressure is very good averaging under 120/79. Occasionally, I get a higher reading which puts it in the elevated or hypertension zone respectively. Looking over the last couple of months the highest reading was 136/82. I use a wrist cuff to check it every day.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #127 on: July 08, 2020, 06:59:32 PM »
Hmm, I hadn't heard this about lifting and high blood pressure. Do you think it has something to do with the intensity of the workout? I'm pretty laid back, even when I'm going for my max weight while doing at least 4 reps. Like I mention before, it is rare that I break out in a sweat. When I am consistent with cardio and do at least 20 minutes on the treadmill or stationary bike several times a week, I think my blood pressure goes down a little.

I do take Metoprolol which is a beta blocker prescribed for hypertension (high blood pressure). Presently, my blood pressure is very good averaging under 120/79. Occasionally, I get a higher reading which puts it in the elevated or hypertension zone respectively. Looking over the last couple of months the highest reading was 136/82. I use a wrist cuff to check it every day.

My blood pressure is usually around 110 over 60.  When you hold your breath trying to get that last rep of deadlifts with a lot of weight I would imagine an average person's blood pressure spiking sky high. Now take a person with high blood pressure doing the same.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2020, 07:49:36 PM »
My blood pressure is usually around 110 over 60.  When you hold your breath trying to get that last rep of deadlifts with a lot of weight I would imagine an average person's blood pressure spiking sky high. Now take a person with high blood pressure doing the same.

Yes well, this explains why I will never push myself to the point of holding my breath for a record lift.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #129 on: July 09, 2020, 03:28:22 AM »
Yes, the Valsalva maneuver (holding breath to stabilize core) raises blood pressure.

You can do most exercises without it.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: July 09, 2020, 01:10:17 PM »
Yes, the Valsalva maneuver (holding breath to stabilize core) raises blood pressure.

You can do most exercises without it.

temporally raising blood pressure isn't a problem for me. Even folks who have hypertension can exercise in ways which will raise one's blood pressure. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2020, 11:50:08 AM »
I am presently on a self-inflicted holiday from the gym. Sunday evening, I was weeding the rock garden. I lost my footing near the top and tumbled down the boulders, rolling sideways. I ended up on the sidewalk, which is just beyond the river rock in the foreground and about 8' down from the top. I hit hard enough that my glasses ended up in the street and my right hearing aid on the sidewalk. I have cuts, scrapes and some painful bruising. But, noting got broken.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2020, 12:14:57 PM »
If the fall wasn't enough to suspend working out, I added insult to injury yesterday. Ever hear of cool sculpting? It is a process whereby a machine freezes your fat, killing it. Somehow the skin is spared.

On each side of my lower back I have some stubborn fat deposits which never go away, regardless of my weight. Cool sculpting is supposed to remove about 25% of any excess fat. Whether this is a success or not won't be evident for about 3 months, which is how long it takes to completely heal and the body to rid itself of dead fat cells.

Right now, the treated areas are numb and a bit swollen. This is normal according to the clinician. Fortunately, there is no pain. If I hadn't fallen on Sunday, it would be fine to exercise.

This is not my back, but it is an example to the area I had done and the hopefully potential results. She did take 8 before photos yesterday. I imagine the after shots will be in about 3 months when it's fully healed. I should get copies then.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2020, 05:26:52 PM »
Hope you're okay from the fall and heal quickly. Prayers.

I only had one plastic surgery procedure. I rented one of those bike cars by the shore for my family to ride by the bay.  I let my 7 year old at the time steer for a little while. I turned my head and she ran the car into a telephone pole. Surprisingly I was the only one ejected and my forehead hit the telephone pole. My forehead was split open and blood was everywhere. No one else was hurt. At the emergency room the the doctor said he's not going to suture it because I would sue him. WTF? He called in a plastic surgeon who did the job. Amazingly I now can barely see it. I have to  stare at it for a long time to see any mark and it's faint. The guy was a magician. 

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2020, 05:52:56 PM »
I am presently on a self-inflicted holiday from the gym. Sunday evening, I was weeding the rock garden. I lost my footing near the top and tumbled down the boulders, rolling sideways. I ended up on the sidewalk, which is just beyond the river rock in the foreground and about 8' down from the top. I hit hard enough that my glasses ended up in the street and my right hearing aid on the sidewalk. I have cuts, scrapes and some painful bruising. But, noting got broken.

I am glad to read you are okay, sir.  You are doubtless far more careful than me but falling can happen to any of us.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2020, 05:58:22 PM »
Hope you're okay from the fall and heal quickly. Prayers.

I only had one plastic surgery procedure. I rented one of those bike cars by the shore for my family to ride by the bay.  I let my 7 year old at the time steer for a little while. I turned my head and she ran the car into a telephone pole. Surprisingly I was the only one ejected and my forehead hit the telephone pole. My forehead was split open and blood was everywhere. No one else was hurt. At the emergency room the the doctor said he's not going to suture it because I would sue him. WTF? He called in a plastic surgeon who did the job. Amazingly I now can barely see it. I have to  stare at it for a long time to see any mark and it's faint. The guy was a magician.

Wow! What a lucky thing that no one else was hurt. And, you were spared looking like Frankenstein.  ;D  Hope your daughter became a better driver.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2020, 06:14:24 PM »
I am glad to read you are okay, sir.  You are doubtless far more careful than me but falling can happen to any of us.

Well, a 75 year old old fart like me should know better than to climb around on those rocks. I no longer get up on my roof or even go up a ladder to clean the gutters. Many years back, I had Leaf Guard gutters installed. Not only do they stay pretty free of any debris, when they do get dirty, the company cleans them for me at no charge for as long as I own the house. About the tallest ladder I'll climb these days is 8' which means I am only 6' off the ground. This spring my son-in-law climbed up the Japanese Maple to trim out a few excess branches. I directed him from the ground.

You probably know this better than I do, but two days out I am now feeling some aches and pains from the fall. It is pretty clear, I bruised some areas pretty deeply. I think at first ones body is a bit in shock so you don't feel the pain as bad.

It was probably not the smartest thing to keep my appointment with the dermatologist for the cool sculpting procedure yesterday. I paid 1/3 down to schedule the appointment, which is what they ask to insure the client shows up since the process takes about 4 hours and that would be a big loss for them. I didn't want to risk having to pay another scheduling fee. $500 is too much to blow on a missed appointment. 

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2020, 08:27:00 PM »
If the fall wasn't enough to suspend working out, I added insult to injury yesterday. Ever hear of cool sculpting? It is a process whereby a machine freezes your fat, killing it. Somehow the skin is spared.

On each side of my lower back I have some stubborn fat deposits which never go away, regardless of my weight. Cool sculpting is supposed to remove about 25% of any excess fat. Whether this is a success or not won't be evident for about 3 months, which is how long it takes to completely heal and the body to rid itself of dead fat cells.

Right now, the treated areas are numb and a bit swollen. This is normal according to the clinician. Fortunately, there is no pain. If I hadn't fallen on Sunday, it would be fine to exercise.

This is not my back, but it is an example to the area I had done and the hopefully potential results. She did take 8 before photos yesterday. I imagine the after shots will be in about 3 months when it's fully healed. I should get copies then.

I wonder if cool sculpting would work on my head.  ;D  It's probably more in $$ than I am worth, LOL!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: July 15, 2020, 04:13:42 PM »
I wonder if cool sculpting would work on my head.  ;D  It's probably more in $$ than I am worth, LOL!

Very funny and also rather self deprecating....but then, you tend to undersell yourself.

This may look like a serious answer to a not so serious question. I'm not being serious as much as explorative. So, play along.  ;)

Do you have "pinchable" fat on your head? I don't think it works if someone calls you a fat head. How much do you think you are worth and how did you calculate this? Frankly, I wouldn't advise doing this on your head since the process actually freezes fat cells, there is a good possibility it would cause a brain freeze of the worse kind, unlike any that was caused by eating ice cream or a Popsicle too fast. 

This next part is the technical response....which is why it is a cut and paste. I wouldn't want to mislead you into thinking I am more intelligent than I actually am.

"CoolSculpting and other forms of cryolipolysis use freezing temperatures to break down fat cells. Cold does not damage other cells in the way it does fat cells, and so there should be no damage to the skin or underlying tissue."

Imagine this, my lower back is still numb from the process. I wouldn't suggest becoming a numbskull.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: July 15, 2020, 04:23:23 PM »
Although I thought I should lay off exercising for awhile, I went ahead an did a little bit last night. I did knee ups balanced on the edge of the bed and I did torso twists. Rather than doing ! X 90 reps, I did 3 X 30 reps to be on the safe side. Exercising felt fine. This morning and today, I wasn't at all sore, but then my lower back is still numb to the touch. I never have been one to give in to aches and pains, so I thought why do that now. Movement keeps everything functioning as it should.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2020, 02:16:44 PM »
Did several core exercises the other night. Doing them seemed find. I was sore for two days following. -Supposed to give my back a rest for 2 weeks or until the effects of the Coolscupting subside. That would be next Monday. Really thinking about how much I want to go to the gym for my workouts because doing it at home hasn't been a great success. Presently, the gyms are still open, but with COVID-19 on the rise, I don't know if they'll be shutdown again or not.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: August 14, 2020, 11:57:04 AM »
Haven't gone to the gym, but I am still considering it. Been working out at home with the few free weights I have and of course body weight only exercise. Added in some half hour walks around the neighborhood. The hills still get me breathing deeper which is good. Maintaining 175 lbs. I am eating less meat and more vegetables. I feel pretty healthy....no corona!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: September 08, 2020, 06:49:57 PM »
I finally broke down and went to the gym yesterday. Not posting the routine yet except to say that I am surprised how strong I've remained during my extended time off. I'm off to the gym tonight in a few minutes. Going to take this one step at a time.

On a side note, there are wild fires all around me. Hopefully none between here and the gym. Last night we had high winds which blew down some trees throughout the neighborhood. Fortunately none of them on my property. We just had a bunch of branches and pine cones everywhere which my kids cleaned up most of today. The gardener comes on Thursday or Friday and they can take care of the rest.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: September 08, 2020, 10:36:46 PM »
-Got some crazy photos of the blackened sky across the street from the gym from the wild fires. Worked out from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. The gym was almost empty so I didn't wear a mask. Blew through my workout in record time and even upped the cardio time by another 2 minutes.

It is currently 72 degrees out at 10:30 p.m. so I opened windows all over the house. It is supposed to get down to 62 degrees overnight. If we close up this house in time, it should stay pretty cool tomorrow. Last month's electric bill was almost $200 which is mostly due to running the central air-conditioning. I need to teach my housemates how to be thriftier and still keep things cool.

I am presently of a mind that nothing is going to keep me from staying in shape. Not Trump rallies nor fires. I am going to hit the gym everyday but Sunday....which has always been my day of rest.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: September 10, 2020, 05:34:49 PM »
No gym tonight. We are on fire alert and everyone is going crazy. -May have to evacuate.

Took a photo of the sun earlier this afternoon. Here it is. Can you find the sun?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: September 13, 2020, 01:39:23 PM »
Made it through one week of doing my old routine of what basically amounts to one body part each day. On all days except last Thursday, when we were on evacuation alert, I made it to the gym. Friday and Saturday I went to an L. A. Fitness about 10 miles from home because the gym in Oregon City was closed due to the wild fires.

Too bad the L. A. Fitness gym is a twenty minute drive each way because the really have there shit together when it comes for keeping the place as safe as possible. Masks are required at all times, the equipment is 6 or more feet apart (which it already was since the gym floor is huge). There are plenty of bottles of disinfectant and paper towel setups throughout the place. All but a three lockers in each bay are wired shut and each of those lockers is more than 6 feet from the other. Normally, people are discouraged from bringing their gym bags into the workout area, but for convenience, they are allowing it.

A couple of things surprised me about working out this week. I expected to be sore and for the most part, that didn't happen. I also figured I'd have to dial the weight load back and that didn't happen. In some cases I even exceeded the previous resistance. Amazing since the last time I was in the gym was last March....6 months ago.

This coming week I will work on getting my eating habits back on track. My current weight averages 175 lbs. I'd like to gradually add about 10 lbs. mainly in my quads which remain super skinny measuring only 22.5 inches.

Since I was already out of the house, after the gym last Monday and yesterday I went for a drink at my usual watering hole. It's so weird to have no stools at that bar and the tables spaced so far apart. Wearing a mask is kind of a joke since how does one drink something with a mask on. But, anytime you go up to the bar to order a drink or settle up, you have to pull on your mask.

For reasons I won't go into here. Getting out of the house the last few days has been a blessing. I was starting to feel like a total shut in. Just got an alert on my cell that we are no longer in level I alert for the wild fire. Level one being the lowest level before you have to evacuate. We are back to normal in West Linn. Normal with the exception that the air quality is horrible. Visibility is almost nil. When you go outside it smells like you are in a fireplace that has just finished burning wood.

All that's left of a neighborhood in Toledo, OR

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2020, 03:33:01 PM »
Consistency is one of the keys to productive exercise.

Has it been very dry in your area to promote these fires?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2020, 03:50:48 PM »
Do you think the fires were arson?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #148 on: September 15, 2020, 01:01:04 PM »
Consistency is one of the keys to productive exercise.

Has it been very dry in your area to promote these fires?

Do you think the fires were arson?

Not only have we had a drought this summer due to a lack of snowfall last winter and rain this spring and summer, but we had gale force hot winds come out of the east last week which blew down trees, blew off leaves from trees and shrubs and dried up what was left of a lot of vegetation. There is tinder covering the ground everywhere. On top of that, due to years of drought, hundreds of thousands of trees in our forests have died but are/were still standing just waiting for any spark to ignite them.

Oregon has been in a fire alert for over a month.

Arsonists definitely cause serious fires as has happened in the past when a teenager shot off firecrackers in the woods and started a huge fire that scorched the Columbia gorge and Cascade mountains. Idiot rioters in Portland trying to set buildings on fire cause their share of damage, but it is nothing as compared to to devastation all over the state. Apparently, there was some nut job that set several (6) fires in Southern Oregon. Not sure if any of them caused extensive damage though. He's a mental case who is waiting to be formally charged while in the state mental hospital.

Not a fire starter, but never-the-less another mentally defective person who happened to work for UPS was randomly shooting at people when his route was reassigned. This was about a month or so ago. The world is loaded with really sick people. Some of them cause the rest of us a lot of grief. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: September 15, 2020, 01:05:30 PM »
Started my second week back at the gym yesterday. I worked biceps, triceps and forearms as is my routine on Mondays. I did two exercises for each area using fairly low reps after a warm up set or two. I continue to be surprised at how little strength I've lost in all those months of not lifting. Today I am going to work hams and calves.