Author Topic: Fresh Start at the Gym....Once Again  (Read 44068 times)

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
Re: Fresh Start at the Gym....Once Again
« Reply #175 on: December 16, 2020, 01:00:35 PM »
Bands do work well, i know quite a few people who use them. They are a different style of resistance.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #176 on: December 16, 2020, 01:06:32 PM »
What's your review of the X3 system?  I saw a similar thing but it had individual handles so it could be used as dumbbells. My problem with rubber bands is that there is a small resistance in the beginning of the movement and too much at the end. Variable resistance is a valid concept but the strength curve has to be right. MedX machines was the closest to getting it right.  I do see the value in rubber band training, don't get me wrong. Very interested in what your opinion and experience are.

Combine that with fast walking in your hilly area and you got a complete fitness routine.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #177 on: December 18, 2020, 10:05:46 AM »
Get a piece of carpet or those inexpensive interlocking rubber mats to deaden the noise.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #178 on: December 31, 2020, 07:35:14 AM »
How's it going, Prime?

Are you still at it?

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #179 on: January 29, 2021, 12:01:27 PM »
One day at a time, Prime.

One day at a time.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #180 on: March 10, 2021, 02:18:26 PM »
-Discovered yesterday that the 24 Hour Fitness Super-Sport close to me is open for business as usual. No reservations required. Hours of business 4:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. Touch free check in. Pool isn't open yet. Masks required.

Scheduled Covid vaccine at my local pharmacy tomorrow. Looks like life might be getting back to normal. Yahoo!

In the meantime, I worked out with the bands last night and will do so again tonight.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #181 on: March 10, 2021, 08:06:23 PM »
-Discovered yesterday that the 24 Hour Fitness Super-Sport close to me is open for business as usual. No reservations required. Hours of business 4:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. Touch free check in. Pool isn't open yet. Masks required.

Scheduled Covid vaccine at my local pharmacy tomorrow. Looks like life might be getting back to normal. Yahoo!

In the meantime, I worked out with the bands last night and will do so again tonight.

Good deal.  Is it J&J or one of the others that requires two shots?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #182 on: March 11, 2021, 03:42:20 PM »
Good deal.  Is it J&J or one of the others that requires two shots?

I was hoping for the Johnson and Johnson 'one and done' vaccine. It was the Moderna vaccine. Second one is scheduled for April 7th. It took all of 10 minutes to get this done at the pharmacy and that was just because they ask you to hang out for a few minutes to make sure you don't have a negative reaction. It's now been over 4 hours and I feel fine.

After the shot, I took myself out to breakfast. -Ordered eggs Benedict Florentine and hash browns. First time I've had breakfast in a restaurant in almost a year.

No workout today as it is a regularly scheduled day off.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #183 on: March 11, 2021, 03:58:03 PM »
The Johnson and Johnson one shot isn't rated nearly as good as the Moderna and Pfizer. Both of the later are over 90% at preventing a severe case of covid. .  J&J is 72% but so far 100% effective at stopping death from Covid so it's a good deal.  My daughters in the health field have told me that younger people are more likely to have side effects from the vaccine because of their strong immune systems.  Many older people have no ill effects from the shot. My first shot I felt nothing. The second shot I had about three days of problems. I'm perfectly good now except every time the door bell rings I get an erection.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #184 on: March 11, 2021, 04:02:08 PM »
The Johnson and Johnson one shot isn't rated nearly as good as the Moderna and Pfizer. Both of the later are over 90% at preventing a severe case of covid. .  J&J is 72% but so far 100% effective at stopping death from Covid so it's a good deal.  My daughters in the health field have told me that younger people are more likely to have side effects from the vaccine because of their strong immune systems.  Many older people have no ill effects from the shot. My first shot I felt nothing. The second shot I had about three days of problems. I'm perfectly good now except every time the door bell rings I get an erection.

Congrats on the erection.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #185 on: March 11, 2021, 04:46:18 PM »

Hmm. You may have to disconnect that doorbell or get one with a different chime. ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #186 on: March 28, 2021, 04:18:43 PM »
I screwed up. I've been using the Elite 3 bands wrong. Last night after working out and thinking I didn't actually know how many reps were recommended or if I should be doing more than one set of each exercise. My excuse is that the exercise chart doesn't cover those things just how to position the band and oneself.

Now that I read more about the routine, I question whether it is good or not. According to the directions you should only progress to the next level band when you can complete 40 full reps which is not to include any half reps as you work to total exhaustion. 15 reps is the starting point. I've been topping out at one set of 15 reps and on certain exercises doing this is exhausting.

One problem for me is that this is such a total departure from any workout routine I've ever done. I'm not sure that I have the stamina to complete 40 reps no matter which band I use for a given exercise. Rightly so, I need to give the correct routine a try before I give up on it. But, if it is too difficult for me, I may revert to doing multiple sets and lower reps for each exercise. My reasoning any routine qualifies as exercise and should produce some results...anything is better than doing nothing.

On another note, going back to the gym isn't far off. My second COVID vaccine is on April 7th. I should be able to safely go to the gym within a week of this shot according to what I read. The reason to wait is that it takes a little awhile to reach maximum immunity. When I do go to the gym, it will be a real test as to whether the bands have worked to keep me strong.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #187 on: May 23, 2021, 07:27:15 PM »
test

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #188 on: May 24, 2021, 07:06:09 AM »

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #189 on: May 24, 2021, 02:19:54 PM »
10-4...over.

Ha, ha, I forgot to delete this. I'm trying to figure out how to post photos from Imgur. So far, I remain baffled. Seems like doing this used to work. I figured nobody reads this thread and it's mine so no harm.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #190 on: July 26, 2021, 06:38:12 PM »
Hit the gym today! It was great.

Worked biceps, triceps and forearms.

Seated dumbbell curls: 4 sets - 10, 8, 6 and 4 reps
Triceps press downs: 4 sets - 10, 8, 8, 10
EZ bar curls: 3 sets - 8, 6, 4
Triceps overhead extensions: 3 sets - 8, 6, 4
Wrist curls: 3 sets - 12, 10, 8
reverse EZ bar curls: 8, 6, 4
10 minutes on the treadmill at 3.5 mph with an incline of 3.5

Felt great after the workout and still feeling pumped (mentally).

Last recorded time at the gym was September 2019. My weight was 180 lbs. today it was 179 lbs. I was able to push close to the same amount of weight in each of the exercises. Not bad, if I can say so myself. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #191 on: July 26, 2021, 06:51:35 PM »
Hit the gym today! It was great.

Worked biceps, triceps and forearms.

Seated dumbbell curls: 4 sets - 10, 8, 6 and 4 reps
Triceps press downs: 4 sets - 10, 8, 8, 10
EZ bar curls: 3 sets - 8, 6, 4
Triceps overhead extensions: 3 sets - 8, 6, 4
Wrist curls: 3 sets - 12, 10, 8
reverse EZ bar curls: 8, 6, 4
10 minutes on the treadmill at 3.5 mph with an incline of 3.5

Felt great after the workout and still feeling pumped (mentally).

Last recorded time at the gym was September 2019. My weight was 180 lbs. today it was 179 lbs. I was able to push close to the same amount of weight in each of the exercises. Not bad, if I can say so myself.

Great workout!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #192 on: August 30, 2021, 01:40:56 PM »
Thanks, It was a great workout. Unfortunately, COVID Delta makes me apprehensive about going to the gym. I am back to working out with the Elite bands.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #193 on: September 05, 2021, 09:26:49 AM »
I was watching a video on youtube and a guy was talking about covid workouts.  He made a good point with two dumbbells you can work everything. If the weight is too heavy do low reps. If it's too light do high reps. Make the weight heavy by slowing the reps and doing a full range of motion. I worked with a huge guy.  He said he only has two 80lbs dumbbells and he makes it work. I could never use that weight as my one pair of dumbbells. The guy on the internet I think used 40lbs. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #194 on: September 05, 2021, 11:18:08 AM »
I was watching a video on youtube and a guy was talking about covid workouts.  He made a good point with two dumbbells you can work everything. If the weight is too heavy do low reps. If it's too light do high reps. Make the weight heavy by slowing the reps and doing a full range of motion. I worked with a huge guy.  He said he only has two 80lbs dumbbells and he makes it work. I could never use that weight as my one pair of dumbbells. The guy on the internet I think used 40lbs.

When I think about it, this is very true. You can get a full body workout using dumbbells. I don't think I'd start with 80 lb. dumbbells....maybe half that weight. The heaviest ones available to me right now are only 25 lb. dumbbells. I've mostly used them for upper body exercises.

Yesterday I exhausted myself working in the garden. I could barely stay awake watching television at 8:00 pm. Went to bed early and slept for 9 hours. There are many ways to insure exercising our bodies. Some of them more productive than others.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #195 on: September 15, 2021, 01:41:08 PM »
Monday, I worked pecs, triceps, quads, glutes and shoulders. Yesterday, I worked hams, biceps, back and calves. Using the Elite 3 Bands I did 1 set for each exercise and as many reps as I could muster until failure, which was anywhere between 14 and 30 reps. Each day the work out took about 20 minutes with as little rest as possible between exercises. today and tomorrow are my mid-week days of rest then two days on again.   

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #196 on: September 21, 2021, 06:40:24 PM »
Don't want anyone to think I'm being a flake. One of the things about working out with bands is that there isn't as many variables as far as I can tell. So, reporting on my progress is not very interesting. I stayed up rather late last night, but I am pleased to say I still did the routine and even added some reps. My tri's are looking good. Quads.....not so much. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #197 on: October 02, 2021, 03:37:45 PM »
I have been very consistent the last several weeks working out using the bands. My biceps, triceps and pecs look more defined and bigger. I just measured them and they aren't any bigger....damn. Not seeing much difference in my quads and my calves are hopeless. Strength gains are slow in coming but I have increased the number of reps on several exercises. I have not yet completed 40 reps in one set, which is when you're supposed supposed to use the next level band. I need to start doing some cardio because my gut is looking a bit sloppy....some would say saggy.  ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #198 on: October 02, 2021, 06:29:59 PM »
Not familiar with the x3 band system. So they recommend one band strength and the goal is to work up to one set of 40 reps before using a heavier band?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #199 on: October 02, 2021, 06:46:59 PM »
Not familiar with the x3 band system. So they recommend one band strength and the goal is to work up to one set of 40 reps before using a heavier band?

Yes. You are supposed to start out doing one set to failure (about 14 reps). You don't increase the sets, just the reps. When 40 reps becomes your failure point, you move to the next level band. These bands are not like the ones you see folks using in the pump room at competitions....at least I hope not because there is no way I could stretch them so easily as those folks appear to be doing. The entire workout is supposed to take 10 minutes. I think 15 to 20 minutes is more realistic.

I have only progressed to the second level band and even at that, not yet every exercise. Overhead presses is one exercise where I am still using the white band. My delts have always been a weak point.

https://www.jaquishbiomedical.com/products/x3-bar/