Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 551778 times)

churbro

• Getbig II
  • Don't fear death...fear a life unlived
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1100 on: February 03, 2015, 05:22:25 AM »
The Complete Roman Army, Adrian Goldsworthy

Good book. I recently finished his latest book, Augustus: First Emperor of Rome.

churbro

• Getbig II
  • Don't fear death...fear a life unlived
« Reply #1101 on: February 03, 2015, 05:36:26 AM »
The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie (yes...that Hugh Laurie)

Surprisingly good political thriller in the vein of Robert Ludlum. Very witty use of language and interesting characters.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #1102 on: February 03, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »
Shrinkage, Bryan Bishop.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1103 on: February 04, 2015, 06:35:17 AM »
Thomas Hughes created the character of Harry Flashman in Tom Brown's School Days in 1857 and George MacDonald Fraser based the Flashman books on that outline.

He wrote under his own name and as far as I know there were no skeletons in his closet. Served in WW2, worked for a newspaper before becoming a fulltime writer. He also wrote the movie screenplays for the Three Musketeers (1972) and Octopussy.
My mistake. I was confusing him with Patrick O'Brian.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1104 on: February 04, 2015, 06:36:40 AM »

Just picked up Bernard Cornwells latest on his Saxon series.

...lol, walked in the Barnes and Nobles two towns over >:( with a $25.00 gift card and ended up finding three more books besides that :-\
If I had a nickle, etc.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #1105 on: February 21, 2015, 08:18:21 PM »
Bought her first book, Sharp Objects, on a recommendation; was not impressed. She blew up. Big mistake.  ;D

Dark Places now, her other one. Great so far.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #1106 on: February 24, 2015, 05:29:11 AM »
Haven't been reading that much lately.

...I'm disappointed in myself >:(

afton

• Getbig II
« Reply #1107 on: February 24, 2015, 01:46:42 PM »
Welllll, I am reading Outlander, am going to try and finish Fool Moon and Uglies as well. I am also reading Feed. And if it comes in from the library this month, Second Grave on the Left.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #1108 on: February 28, 2015, 11:01:51 AM »
Nietzsche - selected essays

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #1109 on: February 28, 2015, 01:28:09 PM »
Bought her first book, Sharp Objects, on a recommendation; was not impressed. She blew up. Big mistake.  ;D

She's won me over big with the other two. Reminds me quite a bit of Chuck Palahniuk's early stuff: narrative style, careful plotting, the clever cynicism. Even some of her sudden twist gimmickry is very Chuck.

Sharp Objects next.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1110 on: March 10, 2015, 12:55:55 PM »
Finished with Buster Olney's 'The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty.' Tried, but couldn't finish. An in-depth look at the New York Yankee's years with Joe Torre. Writing was fine, and the author's interest in the subject is encyclopedic, but chapter after chapter of mintutiae character study just wore me out and I gave up. If there's one thing I took from this book is that Steinbrenner is feared and loathed by all that come in contact with him. To the plus, Spring training has begun.   

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1111 on: March 13, 2015, 09:18:19 AM »
Sad news. Terry Pratchett has died. Complications from Alzheimer's, I infer. Wrote Good Omens (with Neil Gaiman) and the Discworld Series, among many others.

Guardian Obit: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/mar/12/terry-pratchett-author-of-the-discworld-series-dies-aged-66

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #1112 on: March 14, 2015, 03:36:49 PM »
Currently reading;

I Am Pilgrim

Solid first novel. Read pretty much the whole day yesterday and only halfway through. Long old book but enjoying it.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #1113 on: March 15, 2015, 03:11:19 PM »
Finished 'I Am Pilgrim' at 2am this morning. Read solidly for 5 hours. Awesome book and very well written. Looking forward to his next book.

Any suggestions on what to read next?

I like anything with a bit of imagination, well written and believable. Have a strong preference for sweeping historical fiction but will read anything good

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #1114 on: March 15, 2015, 03:19:16 PM »
Finished 'I Am Pilgrim' at 2am this morning. Read solidly for 5 hours. Awesome book and very well written. Looking forward to his next book.

Any suggestions on what to read next?

I like anything with a bit of imagination, well written and believable. Have a strong preference for sweeping historical fiction but will read anything good

The Given Day by Dennis Lehane. Early 20th century Boston (with Oklahoma sublot) epic about political unrest and police corruption. Excellent read.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #1115 on: March 15, 2015, 03:32:03 PM »
The Given Day by Dennis Lehane. Early 20th century Boston (with Oklahoma sublot) epic about political unrest and police corruption. Excellent read.

Yep, looks good. Just read some reviews on Amazon. Downloading to my Kindle now. Thanks for the suggestion.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #1116 on: March 15, 2015, 04:45:58 PM »
Yep, looks good. Just read some reviews on Amazon. Downloading to my Kindle now. Thanks for the suggestion.

You bet. Sequel is Live by Night, which moves the latter day action to Florida/Cuba. Affleck's presently adapting it for the big screen.

Ben, the director, does Boston incredibly well (Gone Baby Gone, The Town); SO wish he'd chosen The Given Day instead.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #1117 on: March 17, 2015, 01:05:39 PM »
Halfway through 'The Given Day' and really enjoying it. But my lawd are there many characters to remember!

Also started reading 'Good Morning Mr Mandela' by his old secretary. Quite enjoying it so far.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #1118 on: March 17, 2015, 01:20:57 PM »
Halfway through 'The Given Day' and really enjoying it. But my lawd are there many characters to remember!

Also started reading 'Good Morning Mr Mandela' by his old secretary. Quite enjoying it so far.

Yes, mainly focuses on the Coughlins and Luther, though, no?

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #1119 on: April 09, 2015, 03:16:16 AM »
Just bought these books:

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #1120 on: April 11, 2015, 10:49:16 AM »

If you enjoyed The Given Day, it's the first of a trilogy. Live by Night (currently being filmed) is next, and World Gone By, the third, was just released. Just started it, and already sucked in.

Lehane is fantastic.

muscularny

• Getbig IV
  • Training
« Reply #1121 on: April 12, 2015, 01:18:48 PM »
Apology by Plato

Audioslave

• Getbig III
« Reply #1122 on: April 12, 2015, 03:54:01 PM »
Just started 'Sycamore Row' by Grisham. Not sure why since most of his stuff over the last few years has sucked, but it's like a band you're invested in... you just keep going back even if their tune has soured.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #1123 on: April 14, 2015, 07:54:34 AM »
Just started Bernard Cornwell's -The Empty Throne.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1124 on: April 26, 2015, 10:12:51 AM »
Finished Steve Martin's autobiography, Born Standing Up. Recounts how, and what, made him a standup comic, and why he stopped. Interesting, without being too revealing. His style is friendly, and breezy. Finished the 200-odd pages in a sitting. Haven't done that for a long time. Be a great read on a trip, or vacation.