Author Topic: BUYING STOCKS BEFORE THE HOLIDAYS  (Read 14887 times)

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
Re: BUYING STOCKS BEFORE THE HOLIDAYS
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2007, 03:42:00 AM »
I own some Apple Stock and am looking for a few other stocks before the holidays kick in. Anyone else dabble in the stock market? Any day traders? It gives the everyday bodybuilder a very nice salary. What are your picks for the holidays?

Interesting thread. Do you do this fulltime?
I'd like to invest too, but i don't know how to get started. Where do you get an account and where do you buy and sell?
tank u jesus

ferd

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2007, 07:02:59 AM »
You might want to look at trading (stock) options.  That's where the serious money is.  Doesn't matter if the market goes up, down or sideways.  It does take a while to find a strategy you are comfortable with, but the time investment can be worth it.  Up at 8AM, make food for the day, market opens at 9:30, work online until noon, make a few trades, could be calls or puts, off to the gym.  The rest of the day is mine. 

Paul Allen

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2007, 07:11:26 AM »
i just started a new company, so i'm putting any thought to stock investing on hold for now.

i just have a few CD's and one mutual fund.

individual stock trading would give me a heart attack, if i was up or down.

ferd

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2007, 07:18:21 AM »
i just started a new company, so i'm putting any thought to stock investing on hold for now.

i just have a few CD's and one mutual fund.

individual stock trading would give me a heart attack, if i was up or down.

You can minimize any possible losses by placing a "stop loss" when you make a trade.

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2007, 07:44:09 AM »
You know, I think you guys are onto something. People always assume muscleheads are stupid, but I think it would be a great idea to have a Getbig Investment Club or Getbig Stockpicker Contest. Everyone could start with $10,000 and we could see who gets to 100K the fastest.

I like Apple stock too, but one thing you have to know is that diversification is the key to smart investing. Don't put all your eggs in one basket!

The funds blowing it out this year are mostly emerging international market funds. I also agree about the fuel stocks being a good idea.

BTW, I'm a terrible investor. Ever since the dotbomb explosion and losing 20K in 6 months, I keep all my money in a 5% MM account and the rest tied up in bad real estate investments!
BigNationRadio.com

Paul Allen

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2007, 07:49:33 AM »

BTW, I'm a terrible investor. Ever since the dotbomb explosion and losing 20K in 6 months, I keep all my money in a 5% MM account and the rest tied up in bad real estate investments!

lol, you are my clone.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2007, 07:50:51 AM »
You know, I think you guys are onto something. People always assume muscleheads are stupid, but I think it would be a great idea to have a Getbig Investment Club or Getbig Stockpicker Contest. Everyone could start with $10,000 and we could see who gets to 100K the fastest.

I like Apple stock too, but one thing you have to know is that diversification is the key to smart investing. Don't put all your eggs in one basket!

The funds blowing it out this year are mostly emerging international market funds. I also agree about the fuel stocks being a good idea.

Love this thinking!!  Great idea.  

I agree with diversification, but man the market is so volatile right now.  I am really thinking of putting my focus in real estate.(keep in mind I'm in Canada)  I bought a triplex somewhat recently and it's been good.  I look at it like this, someone else is paying to increase my net worth by 250k.  

Paul Allen

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2007, 07:51:53 AM »
i looked for something like your idea ED.  I looked on the business board, but most posts there are bodybuilding business related, not "real" business & investments.

i started a new company, so i don't have any money to throw around for now.  but maybe in a couple months we can do something.

i'm fully backing your idea.  you can use your powers with Ron perhaps to set us up a mini-sub board in the business board?

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2007, 08:10:24 AM »
You might want to look at trading (stock) options.  That's where the serious money is.  Doesn't matter if the market goes up, down or sideways.  It does take a while to find a strategy you are comfortable with, but the time investment can be worth it.  Up at 8AM, make food for the day, market opens at 9:30, work online until noon, make a few trades, could be calls or puts, off to the gym.  The rest of the day is mine.  

wow :o you are living the life i wish i lived
tank u jesus

ferd

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2007, 08:24:43 AM »
wow :o you are living the life i wish i lived

And to think I spent 30 years working before I found this.. Better late than never.  ;D

Paul Allen

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2007, 08:29:11 AM »
And to think I spent 30 years working before I found this.. Better late than never.  ;D

are you interested in Ed's idea to set up a getbig investment club?

ferd

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2007, 08:41:32 AM »
are you interested in Ed's idea to set up a getbig investment club?

I'm willing to listen.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2007, 09:21:26 AM »

how did you get started ?

i want to start, so i can avoid working for 30 years ;D
tank u jesus

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2007, 09:58:04 AM »
I own some Apple Stock and am looking for a few other stocks before the holidays kick in. Anyone else dabble in the stock market? Any day traders? It gives the everyday bodybuilder a very nice salary. What are your picks for the holidays?

Okay, I just bought 50 shares of AAPL on your say-so.

So far, I'm down $40 in value.  >:(
Ron: "I am lazy."

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2007, 01:55:34 PM »

Okay, I just bought 50 shares of AAPL on your say-so.

So far, I'm down $40 in value.  >:(

Update:  They rebounded, and I'm up $55.50!  From now on, I'll be checking Getbig for stock tips. :D

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2007, 02:14:12 PM »
Buy UPS, stock will go thru the roof with the Christmas rush.  Coupled with a new contract with it's Teamster represented workforce for the next 5 years, look for them to try to buy back as much stock as possible pushing up the value of the stock.

This is type of logic that Stock Market insiders have been able to exploit for 100+ years in order to extract money from the unwary public. Notice how UPS' stock tends to tank right after New Year's, when all the suckers have their money on the table.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2007, 05:50:58 AM »
right now the money is staying put in gold and oil, your two best bets.

What does anyone think about cyber monday?

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2007, 02:23:37 PM »
Update: AAPL is now trading around $194, and I'm up $1,400 or so on those 50 shares bought a couple weeks ago.

I highly recommend getting all your stock tips from Getbig from now on!  :D

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2007, 02:37:58 PM »
my bro has a shitload of apple stock. Should go up with the new notebook launch.
A

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2007, 03:38:52 PM »
does anyone here use cmcmarkets?
tank u jesus

scubaculture

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2007, 03:45:35 PM »
right now the money is staying put in gold and oil, your two best bets.

What does anyone think about cyber monday?

Have to agree, Gold Gold Gold is the way to go. When I worked in South Africa the firm would pay us bonuses in 1 ounce Kruger Rand coins. I have invested heavily in gold over the years, I remember when it was under $200 an ounce.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2007, 05:39:24 PM »
The ONLY way to trade is on technicals. If you don't know anything about trading, you better learn before you lay your money on the line.  Buying before the Holiday or earnings etc is gambling and you will lose money over time, guaranteed. 

If you think AAPL  is great company and can't go to zero think again.  If seen it happen many times to "great" companies. 

That's what stop sells are for, dumbass.  ::)   Who the hell trades, long or short, without stops?

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2007, 05:49:51 PM »
I have worked for IBD and Bill Oneil personally for 2 years.  The holidays generally are not good for buying stocks for the sole reason that when 4th quarter earnings come out, if the sales for this year and earnings were worse or lower than last year, people panic and sell.  Day trading is dangerous, I've met too many people that lost their ass doing it.
Most are all show no go!

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2007, 05:52:09 PM »

That's what stop sells are for, dumbass.  ::)   Who the hell trades, long or short, without stops?

if your looking to gap trade you don't

dknole

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2007, 06:00:57 PM »
I would look into  Amylin Pharmaceuticals, Genaera Corporation, and various funds that have a positive 3 and 5 year run averaging > 11%/year.