Author Topic: Law Degree  (Read 20287 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Law Degree
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2011, 07:48:28 AM »
Law School is not tough?

I feel for the people who go to crappy law schools though and come out with 6 figures in student loans though. They are the ones who someone should have tapped and said, "hey, why dont you use that loan and start a business or something"...

I had plenty of friends in law school when I was in undergrad and it was a lot like bodybuilding. You use study drugs to improve performance.

I did not think it was that hard, a shit load of work no doubt, but I enjoyed it a lot.

I'm a geek when it comes to academics so I busted my ass and found it a lt of work, but not difficult. 

I also passed the bar easily the first time and sat there for over an hour at the end with nothing to do.  Basementof the Javits Center.     

Jizzacked

« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2011, 08:16:06 AM »

I had plenty of friends in law school when I was in undergrad and it was a lot like bodybuilding. You use study drugs to improve performance.

I was going to start a thread regarding this actually... any suggestions regarding nootropics?

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
I have a law degree from a good Canadian law school.  Once accepted, I found it pretty clear sailing.  But getting accepted isn't so easy. My school only has 100 first year students each year, of which at least 50 have to be women plus some more spots are reserved for first nations students and students with physical disabilities.  So I was competing for entry with other white males for no more than 40 openings (out of thousands of applications.)  Once in, there's tons of assigned reading (for those who want to do it) but I preferred to be quite selective about what I read haha.  In fact, my three years of law school were probably my best years of training in the gym of my life.  

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2011, 08:34:40 AM »
The problem with being an attorney today is that the field is saturated.  Most think most attorneys are driving a big BMW with the 4000 square foot house but the reality is different.  The majority in north New Jersey where I live are not breaking 100 K. I can't imagine it being better in a rural state.  I'm in various municipal courts a lot and all I see from lawyers are cheap wrinkled suits in very common cars.  The guys making big money are the over whelming minority.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2011, 08:45:45 AM »
The problem with being an attorney today is that the field is saturated.  Most think most attorneys are driving a big BMW with the 4000 square foot house but the reality is different.  The majority in north New Jersey where I live are not breaking 100 K. I can't imagine it being better in a rural state.  I'm in various municipal courts a lot and all I see from lawyers are cheap wrinkled suits in very common cars.  The guys making big money are the over whelming minority.

Agreed.  I graduated in 2007 and have worked since.  I'm at roughly $70k and consider that good compared to other guys I graduated with.  Most have a hard time locking down a job.  AND the hours are horrible.  Constant work.  And lets not even goe into the debt one incurs paying for law school.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2011, 01:01:08 PM »
How tuff is it to get a Law Degree?  ???

If you have a really good memory, then you should be able to earn a law degree in two years of daily study. Jurisprudence doesen't require much intelligence but does require lots of rote learning. Becoming jurist is different, because in this case you need to understand precedents and put laws in hierarquies that are logical and functional, and that requires raw brain power. Lawyers are a dime a dozen, but good jurists are rare and are some of the smartest people you'll ever know.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2011, 01:11:47 PM »
LOL. Harvard Law tough or night school law tough?

There is such a thing as night school law?

"1"

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2011, 01:18:41 PM »
Agreed.  I graduated in 2007 and have worked since.  I'm at roughly $70k and consider that good compared to other guys I graduated with.  Most have a hard time locking down a job.  AND the hours are horrible.  Constant work.  And lets not even goe into the debt one incurs paying for law school.

Damn bro I make almost 6 figures as an RN with a two year degree.  LOL But I also wipe ass sometimes and put in foley catheters into old man penises and stinky 90 year old vag. 

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2011, 01:45:04 PM »
Damn bro I make almost 6 figures as an RN with a two year degree.  LOL But I also wipe ass sometimes and put in foley catheters into old man penises and stinky 90 year old vag. 

that must be why this prophecy of yours on page one came true:

Actually............. the existing economy is in crisis.  Are you delusional?  You honestly think things are going to change anytime soon?  Some things will change in the future?  What?  What is going to change the direction of America?  More wars?  More bailouts?  Corporations are bankrupt.  Look at GE!!!!!!!!!!!  Get back to me a year from now and we'll see if you have the rosy picture of the economy as you do now.  Advising ANY young person to head off to college and pile up loads of debt is assinine advice right now.  They are better off working a menial dead end service job, staying debt free, and educating themselves or getting some sort of technical degree.  The professional white collar workforce ala overpriced higher education is being decimated.  Law, medicine, etc.  Nobody wants to go into medicine right now, especially primary care/family practice.  The only ones heading into medicine right now are minorities from other countries i.e. Asians, Arabs/Persians, Indians etc.  What's going on across the world has never happened before is unlike anything we've ever seen before, even the great depression.  Eastern Europe is about the implode.  Then Europe, and then the US.  Wait and see. 

GE:

when you posted in 2009:

GE was at $10.78

today:

GE closed at over $18.

Looks like if i listened to you i wouldn't have made any money.  But thankfully those who don't smell urine and penises for a living have doubled their investment in 2 years just sitting on their ass.

Deep Tissue Massage

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2011, 01:52:08 PM »
I'm thinking about going into Trademark Law, due to a issue I ran into with a invention---I've shoud have been in Law School 8 yrs ago....

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2011, 01:57:19 PM »
I'm thinking about going into Trademark Law, due to a issue I ran into with a invention---I've shoud have been in Law School 8 yrs ago....

Get someone else to pay for it andtry to get a job lined up before hand.   

Its not easy out there.   I work for myself, and you have to be not only a lawyer, but a rainmaker, accountant, salesperson, ar, ap, etc, not to mention be a good lawyer and keep clients happy.   

If I had to do it over again, I would have gone to college, become a fireman first after college, go to law school at night.   Build up a small practice over the years whle earning a alary as a fireman with benes, and then practice law exclusively after 45 y/o.   

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2011, 02:12:31 PM »

Its not easy out there.   I work for myself, and you have to be not only a lawyer, but a rainmaker, accountant, salesperson, ar, ap, etc, not to mention be a good lawyer and keep clients happy.  

If I had to do it over again, I would have gone to college, become a fireman first after college, go to law school at night.   Build up a small practice over the years whle earning a alary as a fireman with benes, and then practice law exclusively after 45 y/o.  

I've been in the MD Judiciary since 2001, and my job affords me to go to school in the daytime (and recommendations) and since I live outside of DC and Baltimore, I hope I can have a job lined up....I will not do criminal law, I deal too much with the ish on a daily basis  

Thanks for the advice...

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2011, 02:19:54 PM »
that must be why this prophecy of yours on page one came true:

GE:

when you posted in 2009:

GE was at $10.78

today:

GE closed at over $18.

Looks like if i listened to you i wouldn't have made any money.  But thankfully those who don't smell urine and penises for a living have doubled their investment in 2 years just sitting on their ass.

Haha dumbass..........GE used to be over 40 per share and it dropped to below 8 in 2009.  So it went back up to $18.  Big deal.  The stock market is almost back to pre recession levels too..........your fucking point?  You don't have one!  The stock market is SO overvalued and will be back down below 8k in another few years year.  Then what?  You can quote me again in a year when gas is  $4-5 a gallon and GE is back under 10.   ::)

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2011, 06:15:35 AM »

Exactly.  But, you're well paid for it. 

It's a trade off.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2011, 06:18:08 AM »

Its not easy out there.   I work for myself, and you have to be not only a lawyer, but a rainmaker, accountant, salesperson, ar, ap, etc, not to mention be a good lawyer and keep clients happy.   

If I had to do it over again, I would have gone to college, become a fireman first after college, go to law school at night.   Build up a small practice over the years whle earning a alary as a fireman with benes, and then practice law exclusively after 45 y/o.   

That's what I did.  ;)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2011, 06:40:36 AM »
whats the big attraction to getting into law. sitting on your ass readin law books all day?
A

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2011, 06:44:49 AM »
Join the Salvation Army and go kick some ass overseas...