Author Topic: Skyscraper in NYC: Wobble Wobble  (Read 1247 times)

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: Building in NYC: Wobble Wobble
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 02:34:14 PM »
WHOA!!!!

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
Re: Building in NYC: Wobble Wobble
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 02:40:39 PM »
▫️

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
Re: Skyscraper in NYC: Wobble Wobble
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 02:44:13 PM »
Fuck that shit. I don’t trust buildings at all. I won’t go in them and if I have to it’s in and out. If I die it will be in a shootout or brawl no building collapse.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 02:54:01 PM »
Company that owns the building is claiming it was a malfunction of one of the big exterior elevators that caused it -

"Today an exterior elevator at SUMMIT One Vanderbilt malfunctioned while mechanics were performing maintenance, causing a vibration to be felt in the building. SUMMIT was closed to the public at the time, no one was injured and there is no danger to the building or its occupants."

https://twitter.com/SLGreen/status/1638291221238906882?cxt=HHwWhICwifHLsLwtAAAA .

Still not a fan of those huge glass buildings, they creep me out. 

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 03:08:51 PM »
Company that owns the building is claiming it was a malfunction of one of the big exterior elevators that caused it -

"Today an exterior elevator at SUMMIT One Vanderbilt malfunctioned while mechanics were performing maintenance, causing a vibration to be felt in the building. SUMMIT was closed to the public at the time, no one was injured and there is no danger to the building or its occupants."

https://twitter.com/SLGreen/status/1638291221238906882?cxt=HHwWhICwifHLsLwtAAAA .

Still not a fan of those huge glass buildings, they creep me out.

That must have been a gigantic malfunction for it to be felt throughout the building

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 03:14:58 PM »
Fuck that shit. I don’t trust buildings at all. I won’t go in them and if I have to it’s in and out. If I die it will be in a shootout or brawl no building collapse.

I trust 3-story buildings! :D

Can't wobble/crumble down like a skyscraper and won't be a target for Airplanes or Covert Demolition a la 9/11 :D
Q

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 03:17:01 PM »

OH! Makes me feel MUCH safer

NOT
Q

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023, 03:24:44 PM »
I trust 3-story buildings! :D

Can't wobble/crumble down like a skyscraper and won't be a target for Airplanes or Covert Demolition a la 9/11 :D

Yeah 3 stories is cool haha.

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2023, 03:28:36 PM »
I'm glad I'm 3 storey house master race.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2023, 04:30:12 PM »
I'm glad I'm 3 storey house master race.

Respect

KING OF KINGS PUPIL! (Or should i say Teacher since you rock the 3 stories?)
Q

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2023, 07:08:37 PM »
There was an apartment on the very top of one off those New York high rise towers valued at $250,000,000 if any GetBigger is interested.

And a very expensive  and similar  San Francisco high rise building is slightly leaning to the SE which they tried to repair .... but only made it slightly worse.

Kind of strange that you are allowed to build any structure over 12 feet tall atop the world's biggest faultline ...... the SAN ANDREAS.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2023, 07:46:10 PM »
That must have been a gigantic malfunction for it to be felt throughout the building

There was.

Basic physics.

And these buildings are designed to move and flex in these situations.

If the structure was completely rigid, it would have a higher chance of failure.

Flexing is normal, just as when you are driving on a long bridge with a lot of cars on it, it flexes due to expansion. They have joints to control these things.

And when you are in a large stadium and people start jumping up and down, it moves due to an allowed factor of movement by design.

It's when they don't flex that failure is more like to happen.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2023, 07:56:36 PM »
There was an apartment on the very top of one off those New York high rise towers valued at $250,000,000 if any GetBigger is interested.

And a very expensive  and similar  San Francisco high rise building is slightly leaning to the SE which they tried to repair .... but only made it slightly worse.

Kind of strange that you are allowed to build any structure over 12 feet tall atop the world's biggest faultline ...... the SAN ANDREAS.

I agree that building a tower on bad soil is a terrible idea.

But it's almost impossible to design for all the failure data when you are being asked by the client to shave off cost.

When i engineered structures in soft soils near the Gulf of Mexico, i designed them so robust it was impossible to fail. And the client went nuts over the cost, but 20 years later the buildings are standing firm, with almost zero settlement.

All the buildings nearby that were built at that time and even more recently are settling bad; they are spending hundreds of thousands to repair them or reinforce them after the fact.

Value engineering can have setbacks. You either pay up front or on the back end.

Not all engineers are equal, many will bend over when they are asked to cut cost.

The good ones stand their ground and build masterpieces.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2023, 02:42:54 AM »
Team 3-story building 4 LYFE!
Q

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2023, 02:47:10 AM »
Team 3-story building 4 LYFE!

The only “Wobble Wobble” is in Kwon’s avatar

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2023, 02:50:56 AM »
They probably had women engineers design it for wokeness and all.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2023, 11:18:00 AM »
OVERLOAD, Thanks for the above info from a professional.

A while back in time, the Golden Gate Bridge was closed to vehicle traffic and only open to pedestrians in order to celebrate something of which I have forgotten.

I understand that that event caused a problem due to the number of pedestrians entering the bridge from both ends.

And when this huge mass of people met in the center some of my inebriated, intoxicated, drugged-up friends claimed that the bridge road actually 'flattened-out"  due to the massive weight of the thousands of pedestrians celebrating something regarding that bridge which I have forgotten.

Is it at all possible that that bridge could have collapsed due to the massive weight of all these pedestrians?

And .... Another drugged up friend of mine who knows this stuff (he designs buildings that merely "roll" but do not fall over during massive earthquakes) claims that this same bridge was built almost directly over the San Andreas fault line.

Your expert remarks on that subject would be appreciated as we are planning to visit SF and I plan to take some drone (DJI) video footage during a leisurely stroll over the GG and into Sausalito.

I am a bit concerned because my good friend says that a major Bay Area earthquake occurs somewhat close to every 100 years and since the Big One occurred in 1906
, this next one is just about 20 years late.

And I don't like the ground beneath my feet to shake in the least .... especially if I'm on a bridge or in a high structure .... especially a high rise that's already leaning or does a 'wobble-wobble'.

Thanks!

PS. How long are high rise structures such as the Empire State Building intended to last? Forever???! Or do you guys place a date on their expected demise?

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2023, 11:43:19 AM »
The only “Wobble Wobble” is in Kwon’s avatar

Exactamundo, Sir!
Q

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2023, 12:48:27 PM »
Respect

KING OF KINGS PUPIL! (Or should i say Teacher since you rock the 3 stories?)

We waz homeownerz

cart@@n

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2023, 06:21:26 PM »
30th Floor + some sea wind.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2023, 06:43:58 PM »
OVERLOAD, Thanks for the above info from a professional.

A while back in time, the Golden Gate Bridge was closed to vehicle traffic and only open to pedestrians in order to celebrate something of which I have forgotten.

I understand that that event caused a problem due to the number of pedestrians entering the bridge from both ends.

And when this huge mass of people met in the center some of my inebriated, intoxicated, drugged-up friends claimed that the bridge road actually 'flattened-out"  due to the massive weight of the thousands of pedestrians celebrating something regarding that bridge which I have forgotten.

Is it at all possible that that bridge could have collapsed due to the massive weight of all these pedestrians?

And .... Another drugged up friend of mine who knows this stuff (he designs buildings that merely "roll" but do not fall over during massive earthquakes) claims that this same bridge was built almost directly over the San Andreas fault line.

Your expert remarks on that subject would be appreciated as we are planning to visit SF and I plan to take some drone (DJI) video footage during a leisurely stroll over the GG and into Sausalito.

I am a bit concerned because my good friend says that a major Bay Area earthquake occurs somewhat close to every 100 years and since the Big One occurred in 1906
, this next one is just about 20 years late.

And I don't like the ground beneath my feet to shake in the least .... especially if I'm on a bridge or in a high structure .... especially a high rise that's already leaning or does a 'wobble-wobble'.

Thanks!

PS. How long are high rise structures such as the Empire State Building intended to last? Forever???! Or do you guys place a date on their expected demise?

The Golden Gate bridge is a suspension bridge, so it will adjust due to the amount of weight in a certain area, but certainly would not fail due to that weight being 100% in the center. It was designed to withstand thousands of tons at any focal point along it's span.

It's also a suspension bridge because it is along a fault, and in the event of an earthquake it will flex, reducing the chance of a complete failure. But seismic engineering is tricky and there is no guarantee it won't fail in a certain event. These bridges/buildings are built to a certain "extreme event" standard, which is a safety factor set by building code. They can withstand a lot, but if an event occurs that is greater than the design parameters, it certainly will fail.

The tallest tower i designed was 30 stories, so i'm not an expert in skyscrapers. But i know they much last at least 50 years with little maintenance. If properly maintained and remediated to fix issues, they can last over 100 years in normal conditions.