Author Topic: Do UK bodybuilders believe in locking out or not locking out the joints?  (Read 6878 times)

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
So I was training in my former gym recently, the olympic lifting gym with the old nagging coach running the show.

I was pumping out 11 reps with 120kg shoulder width bench press really good form no locking out to make it harder on the muscles.

Now this old man says

"Huh... you not locking out .... why?"

"to keep the tension on the muscles and make it easier on the elbows" i say

"partial reps like that indeed have that advantage" he says

"but also have a disadvantage!!!!!!!! because you are not doing full rom you are over time shortening the muscle belly and the longer a muscle belly the better it looks when contracted in a pose, there fore you must train with full rom"

my mind exploded with doubts and millions of questions and the issue has given me no rest since

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
today I trained arms and tried to lock out my narrow grip bench presses because of this thread. It was a really bad experience

I normally get about 12 reps with 120kg without locking out the elbows, just pumping up and down, now I could only get like 6, which was strange because generally locking out makes it easier not harder? like normally when i nearly fail on 11th rep of no locking out, and lock out for the last one, the last rep is really easy...

So other things I noticed.... it's harder to balance tha bar because you are not in a smooth groove, i felt my dominant stronger tricep (right) work a lot harder than the left... also i found my chest was really doing a lot of work at the top of the motion (the one i normally dont do)

i have really long arms

i am very confused and dont know what to do with my life now

to lock out or not to lockout that's the question

Simple Simon

Constant tension without locking out causes the muscle to fail faster, which for me is the goal of the set.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
Constant tension without locking out causes the muscle to fail faster, which for me is the goal of the set.
so do you not fear this will be at the cost of partial ROM and only partial development?

anabolichalo

• Getbig V

this is the common knowledge

but nobody addresses the possible negative consequences of partials (shortening of the muscles)?

Simple Simon

so do you not fear this will be at the cost of partial ROM and only partial development?
Im 49 now ,I dont have short stumpy muscles and Im quite flexible, so no, I dont see it being an issue.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
Im 49 now ,I dont have short stumpy muscles and Im quite flexible, so no, I dont see it being an issue.
for narrow grip benching it feels so much smoother and better to not lock out at the top

it was a horrible experience today trying to lock out

shit was all wobly and awkward

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
kali doesnt believe in full ROM pressing

bigmc

• Getbig V
i would stay stop just before lock out

constant tension you fail much faster

less injury risk too
T

denarii

• Getbig V

so why not just tense the muscle under static tension?

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
Re: Do UK bodybuilders believe in locking out or not locking out the joints?
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 01:17:37 PM »
so why not just tense the muscle under static tension?
i sometimes ask myself this question as well when debating the topic in my head

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 01:31:41 PM »
i sometimes ask myself this question as well when debating the topic in my head

because there is more than one type of muscle fibre and in the end you have to stress all of them to some extent.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 07:39:25 AM »
Itīs ok to not lock out or to do "partial reps" but some take this to the extreme and lift too much weight and of course itīs like a very small motion. if you do not lock out but use a 3/4 motion itīs ok. When doing Dips i use a full motion because i think it strengthens my ligaments and tendons better. Depends what you are trying to do.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 07:41:39 AM »
i would stay stop just before lock out

constant tension you fail much faster

less injury risk too
itīs harder 100%

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 02:38:40 AM »
If you are stopping the rep just before lockout, I wouldn't call it a 'partial' just full ROM without a second or two rest at the top when you would be 'locking out'.

If i'm pressing with no lockout, then I will utilise it to get a quick breather before getting an extra couple of reps - better than a spot.