Author Topic: How alpha should you be with your dog?  (Read 67433 times)

Notomorrow

• Getbig IV
How alpha should you be with your dog?
« on: March 04, 2017, 11:30:52 AM »
I've heard some people say its crucial to be very alpha..especially with a smaller dog...they are pack animals and look for a leader. How far should you take it? Some people say never walk behind your dog..either side by side or lead...always eat before the dog as pack leaders eat first....even some like exercises where you like hold the dog down for a brief period to show control.

I'm new to dog training...any advice on how alpha you should be with a dog is appreciated...I just love the dog..feed it and walk it...how important is showing alpha dominance to a smaller breed dog?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Re: How alpha should you be with your dog?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 09:09:28 PM »
I've heard some people say its crucial to be very alpha..especially with a smaller dog...they are pack animals and look for a leader. How far should you take it? Some people say never walk behind your dog..either side by side or lead...always eat before the dog as pack leaders eat first....even some like exercises where you like hold the dog down for a brief period to show control.

I'm new to dog training...any advice on how alpha you should be with a dog is appreciated...I just love the dog..feed it and walk it...how important is showing alpha dominance to a smaller breed dog?

Not that important with a smaller breed. The thinking is, a dog will challenge you for alpha.. a yorkie isn't that big of a concern.. a shepherd, or larger breed, you need to reinforce the alpha male occasionally. Any roughhousing with your larger breed should end with you the winner, typically with them on their back your hands around their throat with light to moderate pressure until they stop struggling.. 

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 08:55:40 AM »
Not that important with a smaller breed. The thinking is, a dog will challenge you for alpha.. a yorkie isn't that big of a concern.. a shepherd, or larger breed, you need to reinforce the alpha male occasionally. Any roughhousing with your larger breed should end with you the winner, typically with them on their back your hands around their throat with light to moderate pressure until they stop struggling.. 

Instilling fear in your dog does not make you an "alpha", it just shows you're an abusive asshole.
:

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 12:07:07 PM »
Instilling fear in your dog does not make you an "alpha", it just shows you're an abusive asshole.

True --- What do you expect from A Cop.

Ps
Your Pm message in box is full.. ;)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 07:31:04 PM »
True --- What do you expect from A Cop.

Ps
Your Pm message in box is full.. ;)

Fixed

Sowwy
  :-\ ::)
:

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 08:51:33 PM »

I never mentioned instilling fear. I mentioned one of many ways of establishing the dominant role in the relationship. If you've never roughhoused with your shepherd, Rottweiler etc, then you wouldn't get the accurate picture, the fact you jumped to instilling fear indicates you aren't really interested in other opinions, even if they originate from someone with 10 years experience training them.