Author Topic: 15 Years Ago - Phil Pfister ended the drought...'06 MET-Rx World's Strongest Man  (Read 4143 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I found this tidbit, while looking at Met-Rx commercials.

It had been nearly a quarter century since an American won a World's Strongest Man contest (Bill Kazmaier, 1982). But, Pfister brought home the gold to the USA in 2006.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
There was a huge American dude when I was in college, Johnny Perry I think, and he was crushing the qualifiers and then when the episode ended it showed a pic of him and and RIP. Dude was 27 if I remember correctly.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
There was a huge American dude when I was in college, Johnny Perry I think, and he was crushing the qualifiers and then when the episode ended it showed a pic of him and and RIP. Dude was 27 if I remember correctly.

He was juiced to his gills. No cycling, or blood work. Just huge doses of Test, Deca and Anadrol from memory.  Ate anything and everything.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I heard of a strongman named Jesse Marunde, who passed away at 27. But, that's the only one of which I know who died that young. He placed 2nd to Mariusz Pudzianowski in 2005.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
Genetically pre-determined to die young from too much of certain things.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.

GHB and Coke helped end him :(.

----------------------

Kazmaier was one of the reasons America had a drought of Strongman wins during the mid 80's, 90's. The other was Franco Columbu winning that lawsuit from the fridge accident. After he won, they decided to concentrate on the European markets, and having the shows in areas that were less sue happy.

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
From Jesse Marunde’s wiki page:

“On July 25, 2007 Marunde died following a workout in Sequim, Washington.[5] The cause of his death was a genetic heart defect, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a leading cause of sudden cardiac death in young athletes.”

::)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
"Genetics killed him."

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
Pfister won it during the years when the strongest men went over to the IFSA world championships 2005-2008.

A bunch of weaklings competed at WSM during these years. :P

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Pfister won it during the years when the strongest men went over to the IFSA world championships 2005-2008.

A bunch of weaklings competed at WSM during these years. :P

What's Pudzianowski, chopped liver? I thought he was an all-time great among professional strongman. Pfister defeated Pudzianowski (the three-time and defending WSM champion) straight up for the title.

Which contest does someone have to win to be considered World's Strongest Man? Weightlifters gave that tag to Mark Henry, based on his totals in powerlifting and weightlifting contests.

Then, he won the first Arnold Schwarzenegger Strongman contest in 2002, defeating some previous WSM contest winners. So, of course, WWF/WWE played up Henry as the "World's Strongest Man" even more to push him.

But, FLEX/Muscle & Fitness magazine ranked him 2nd strongest of all time, behind Zydrunas Savickas.

http://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/10-strongest-men-in-the-world/2-mark-henry-weightlifter-powerlifter-strongman-wrestler/

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
Gotta admit that Phil Pfister would make a wicked p0rno monicker...

As for the Pudz, here's a couple of random reposts of him on and off the gear that serve absolutely no purpose
T

Flexacon

• Getbig V
Pfisters win was probably the most exciting WSM. Huge upset, but it was well earned win.

pamith

• Getbig V
From what I remember, Phil Pfister also claimed to be natty

Henda

• Getbig V
From what I remember, Phil Pfister also claimed to be natty

He did and also claimed to be about 40% bodyfat less than he actually was

pamith

• Getbig V
He did and also claimed to be about 40% bodyfat less than he actually was
Lmfao. Hey even Mike O'Hearn claims to be natty

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
Dude is HUGE.

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
What's Pudzianowski, chopped liver? I thought he was an all-time great among professional strongman. Pfister defeated Pudzianowski (the three-time and defending WSM champion) straight up for the title.

Which contest does someone have to win to be considered World's Strongest Man? Weightlifters gave that tag to Mark Henry, based on his totals in powerlifting and weightlifting contests.

Then, he won the first Arnold Schwarzenegger Strongman contest in 2002, defeating some previous WSM contest winners. So, of course, WWF/WWE played up Henry as the "World's Strongest Man" even more to push him.

But, FLEX/Muscle & Fitness magazine ranked him 2nd strongest of all time, behind Zydrunas Savickas.

http://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/10-strongest-men-in-the-world/2-mark-henry-weightlifter-powerlifter-strongman-wrestler/

The top 3 at IFSA world championships 2006 were Zydrunas Savickas, Mikhail Koklyaev   and Vasyl Virastyuk. They would have wiped the floor with Phil if they had competed in WSM 2006.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
Gotta admit that Phil Pfister would make a wicked p0rno monicker...

As for the Pudz, here's a couple of random reposts of him on and off the gear that serve absolutely no purpose
You photoshopped his headsize and some other things

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
The top 3 at IFSA world championships 2006 were Zydrunas Savickas, Mikhail Koklyaev   and Vasyl Virastyuk. They would have wiped the floor with Phil if they had competed in WSM 2006.

Again, I ask. Which contest does someone have to win to be considered World's Strongest Man? And does Pfister or Pudzianowski hold any wins over those men you mentioned earlier?

When Kazmaier won it, he was considered the World's Strongest Man hands down (was he not?). He was also deemed the last American to hold that honor, until Pfister's victory in 2006.

My memory may be a bit vague; but I don't recall anyone disputing the honors bestowed on Pfister. Perhaps you could clarify.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
Again, I ask. Which contest does someone have to win to be considered World's Strongest Man?

When Kazmaier won it, he was considered the World's Strongest Man hands down (was he not?). He was also deemed the last American to hold that honor, until Pfister's victory in 2006.

My memory may be a bit vague; but I don't recall anyone disputing the honors bestowed on Pfister. Perhaps you could clarify.

There was a spilt in WSM in 2006 which lasted a couple of years. 3 out of the 4 worlds best went to the other league. Pudz stayed in the WSM.

Had all 4 plus Pfister competed in the same tournament it would be a 5 horse race rather than a 2 horse race like it was that year.

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
You photoshopped his headsize and some other things

:D

T

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
There was a spilt in WSM in 2006 which lasted a couple of years. 3 out of the 4 worlds best went to the other league. Pudz stayed in the WSM.

Had all 4 plus Pfister competed in the same tournament it would be a 5 horse race rather than a 2 horse race like it was that year.

That would mean that Pfister's win over Pudzianowski was a significant feat. Pudz was a three-time WSM champion (2002, 2003, and 2005). I assume, based on what you just stated, those wins came against those men at some point. Would that also mean that WSM is the more prestigious of the two championships?

Flexacon

• Getbig V
That would mean that Pfister's win over Pudzianowski was a significant feat. Pudz was a three-time WSM champion (2002, 2003, and 2005). I assume, based on what you just stated, those wins came against those men at some point. Would that also mean that WSM is the more prestigious of the two championships?

My bad. The split happened in 2005.

2 of the other 3 beat Pudz in 2004. When they returned in 2009, 1 of them beat Pudz.

In 2006 Žydrūnas Savickas was probably the best strongman competitor in the World. Pudz would have be second on my list. Doubt Pfister would have beaten Savickas had he been at the WSM that year.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
My bad. The split happened in 2005.

2 of the other 3 beat Pudz in 2004. When they returned in 2009, 1 of them beat Pudz.

In 2006 Žydrūnas Savickas was probably the best strongman competitor in the World. Pudz would have be second on my list. Doubt Pfister would have beaten Savickas had he been at the WSM that year.

Did they face Pudz in '02 or '03?

Flexacon

• Getbig V
Did they face Pudz in '02 or '03?

Yes.

Pudz set the standards for strongman those years. He was ahead of the field because his tank didn't empty as quick. Basically he just about held his own strength wise, but was winning because he was fitter. By 2004 the strongest guys upped their fitness and eventually the strongest of the lot (Savickas) started to dominate the sport.