Author Topic: why is there Braille on drivethru ATM's?  (Read 2006 times)

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
why is there Braille on drivethru ATM's?
« on: April 06, 2010, 03:22:02 PM »
if somebody cant answer me this in the next 20 minutes, i will jump off the roof of my house!!!

bench

yng466

• Getbig III
Re: why is there Braille on drivethru ATM's?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 03:24:36 PM »
SO A BLIND MAN KNOWS WHERE TO DRILL,SO HE CAN TIE THE CHAIN TO THE BACKHOE ! ;D
PARTY LIKE A PIRATE!

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 03:33:52 PM »
Good grief yng466, ...you couldn't wait 20 minutes?! sheesh!  ;)
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 03:39:38 PM »
if somebody cant answer me this in the next 20 minutes, i will jump off the roof of my house!!!

bench

If you must know... it is so that the visually impaired will have access to banking like everyone else.
it is not assumed that the visually impaired person will be driving themselves to the drive-thru ATM,
obviously someone else would have to do the driving, but by having braille, it affords them the opportunity to do their own banking like everyone else without having to compromise their account security by giving their card & pin # to someone else or to a cab driver. etc.,

Now since I answered you nicely, ...will you please consider still jumping off the roof of your house and taking a video of it?  :D
w

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 03:45:52 PM »
If you must know... it is so that the visually impaired will have access to banking like everyone else.
it is not assumed that the visually impaired person will be driving themselves to the drive-thru ATM,
obviously someone else would have to do the driving, but by having braille, it affords them the opportunity to do their own banking like everyone else without having to compromise their account security by giving their card & pin # to someone else or to a cab driver. etc.,

Now since I answered you nicely, ...will you please consider still jumping off the roof of your house and taking a video of it?  :D
this makes no since to me.....they need to do the walk up one..

...and i still am going to jump off my roof when my friend gets here in about 30 minutes...she bet me i wouldnt...

bench

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 03:55:54 PM »
It's simple... because all buttons are made in the same mold.... They just use them for any ATM whether they are drive up or otherwise.

It's about efficiency in the button making process.

Why make 2 kinds of buttons when the kind with the bumps works well for both applications.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 03:57:23 PM »
this makes no since to me.....they need to do the walk up one..

...and i still am going to jump off my roof when my friend gets here in about 30 minutes...she bet me i wouldnt...

bench

Why should the visually impaired be forced to use or be restricted to using walk-up ATMs only?
... a walk up ATM is not as secure for the user as a drive thru one.

Just because someone is visually impaired is no reason they should not have access to the same conveniences that those without challenges enjoy. As a fully sighted person, I would prefer a drive-thru ATM over a walk-up one anyday. I wouldn't have to worry about some degenerate coming up behind me trying to rob me. Drive thru ATM's appear to be more secure and possibly more convenient for the users. The physically challenged have a greater need for security and convenience than anyone else.

Please videotape your jump. I'd like to see it.  :D
w

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 04:00:05 PM »
Why should the visually impaired be forced to use or restricted to using walk-up ATMs only?

Just because someone is visually impaired is no reason they should not have access to the same conveniences that those without challenges enjoy. As a fully sighted person, I would prefer a drive-thru ATM over a walk-up one anyday. I wouldn't have to worry about some degenerate coming up behind me trying to rob me. Drive thru ATM's appear to be more secure and possibly more convenient for the users. The physically challenged have a greater need for security and convenience than anyone else.

driving is a convience...you want those people to drive?

...and hell no...i am not video taping my potential death ;D

bench

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 04:32:03 PM »
Why should the visually impaired be forced to use or be restricted to using walk-up ATMs only?

x2.  Also, not everyone who wears a hearing aid is profoundly deaf.  Similarly, not everyone who is visually impaired is totally blind.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 04:45:40 PM »
It's probably just a good way to shut people up.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 06:34:57 PM »
dont ever jump off of the roof of a 2 1.5 story house...

bench

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 04:51:32 AM »

I think it would be very dangerous to see someone blind get jumped or killed at an atm machine because they couldn't see what was going on. I don't even fancy drive through atm machines. How easy would it be for a predator to jump you and steal your bank card? I would rather go to an atm that is indoors or better still a bank tellar.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 08:14:34 PM »
driving is a convience...you want those people to drive?

ATM banking does not pose a risk to public safety driving by a blind person does. Don't be ridiculous.
Your argument is tantamount to saying that since they are blind, they shouldn't be able to order thru the drive-thru at Mcdonald's either... even if they are merely passengers in the vehicle. It's a ridiculous premise.

...and hell no...i am not video taping my potential death ;D

bench

OK, ...don't videotape it then, ...but, ...ummm, ...will you  still please jump off the roof?  :D
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 08:30:08 PM »
I think it would be very dangerous to see someone blind get jumped or killed at an atm machine because they couldn't see what was going on. I don't even fancy drive through atm machines. How easy would it be for a predator to jump you and steal your bank card? I would rather go to an atm that is indoors or better still a bank tellar.

If they steal you bank card, they still need your pin, ...and after three false trys... the machine eats your card

Bank Tellers aren't available at 2am, but ATMs are. How is someone going to jump you in your car?

You pull up to the drive thru ATM you make sure your doors and windows are locked except the driver's side window. You get your money and roll up your window. What's the guy with the knife going to do? ...stand in front of your car and demand money? ...RUN HIS ASS OVER!  >:(
w

SupplementGuy

• Getbig III
  • I'm the kind of a person who's the type of dog...
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 08:32:49 PM »
Because blind people can't ride in the back seat and use the atm through that window.... they would obv have to be the driver... op is def blond imo

yng466

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 08:51:28 PM »
Good grief yng466, ...you couldn't wait 20 minutes?! sheesh!  ;)
Hell no! I just wanted to see someone jump off a roof! ;D
PARTY LIKE A PIRATE!

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 10:42:56 PM »
It's cheaper and more efficient to use the same template/interface for every machine rather than having the confusion and added production expense of making two types.
Almost always, yes.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 10:54:55 PM »
Actually Jag... I had someone try to grab the cash out of my hand one time while at a drive up ATM.

He didn't get it and took off... so I chased his ass down.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 11:48:13 AM »
If they steal you bank card, they still need your pin, ...and after three false trys... the machine eats your card

Bank Tellers aren't available at 2am, but ATMs are. How is someone going to jump you in your car?

You pull up to the drive thru ATM you make sure your doors and windows are locked except the driver's side window. You get your money and roll up your window. What's the guy with the knife going to do? ...stand in front of your car and demand money? ...RUN HIS ASS OVER!  >:(
I hear you, Jag, but especially here in TO...would you go to a drive through machine or an outdoor bank machin in the heart of the city for example? Its a mugging waiting to happen. And as for the pin number thing, you know the old saying, if there's a will, ther's a way.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 07:45:46 PM »
I hear you, Jag, but especially here in TO...would you go to a drive through machine or an outdoor bank machin in the heart of the city for example? Its a mugging waiting to happen. And as for the pin number thing, you know the old saying, if there's a will, ther's a way.

For years that was the onnly way I could do any banking at all was thru the ATM at 2 or 3 in the morning. When you have to be on set at 6am, or you don't wrap until 1am, there's no time to go inside the bank. All you can do is make deposits through ATMs, then pay your bills through the internet or through phone banking. Sometimes you could get lucky and find a branch open while you're on your lunch hour... but for the most part it was ATM banking for me.

Now that my income is exclusively in US dollars, I have to actually physically go into the branch sometimes to get the quickest transfers. Transfering funds from a US dollar account into a CDN dollar account takes days through phone or internet, but it's instantaneous in the branch.
w