Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 426983 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #1775 on: July 07, 2021, 04:17:42 PM »
Ran today for one mile. The day before I lifted hard.  It was 95 and very humid. I didn't want to push it. Not a soul on the running path. I was surprised with the time considering I was just jogging above a walk. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1776 on: July 08, 2021, 06:58:26 PM »
leg press 2 x 12 ( I use warm up sets as needed. Many times I don't use a warm up at all. For leg press I did two warm up sets prior to the two work sets of 12 reps)
Hack machine 2 x 12
stiff dead 2 x 6
leg extensions 2 x 20
seated leg curls 2 x 15
body weight squats 1 x 55 (slow full descent to a full squat. Great exercise)

dumbbell calf raises 1 x 50 (held the dumbbells at my side. Raised both heels together. No block used.)
No weight knee locked single leg raise 3 x 15 (flat footed off the floor. No block)

I'm developing a different philosophy about calf training for myself. I would never called myself a bodybuilder but I would like to consider myself an aging athlete.  Using standing calf machines, leg press calf and seated calf I found I was injuring my Achilles a lot when I ran. I think it's the over stretching under load with bodybuilding type calf exercises. Here's some bro science but I believe I'm on target. The Achilles tendon more than any other tendon has some stretch in it and some energy return like a rubber band. Too much stretching under load compromises that function.  I found after a calf training session I was very prone to injuring the tendon particularly while sprinting. I think just like a rubber band you can weaken the tendon with too much stretch under load. Everything we have all heard through empirical knowledge of pro bodybuilding was to go for the ultimate stretch.  I don't know about the safety of that anymore if the exercise is used to increase sprinting speed or jumping.

I remember reading about the famous steroid sprinter Ben Johnson's weight routine. For a small guy he was really strong. Three staples in his training was the bench, squat and power clean. He also added a few bodybuilding exercises like curls. He would go over 600lbs in the squat and one time right before the Olympics he was benching with bumper plates not knowing the weight and he did his last set with over 400lbs. Back to calves. His coach eliminated calf exercises in his weight routine. I wonder if it was for the reasons I stated above?

Last exercise of the day was the four way neck machine. 2 sets each direction. Each set was for 25 reps. I noticed the neck is a really responsive muscle. Wondering if it's the blood supply or the magic of high reps. So technically 8 sets for neck. I have always wanted a four way neck machine in my house and I finally got one. The commercial gym I trained at for a few years prior to covid had an old Nautilus four way neck. It was a great machine. I was one of the few members who used it.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #1777 on: July 09, 2021, 03:45:26 AM »
Glad your back posting.

It figures you'd be prone to a calf injury if you ran or did sprints after training calves.

You stressed the achilles tendon with the calf exercises and then put it through even more stress the same day with running. 

Too much stress resulted in the achilles injury.  Too much stress...too little recovery and healing.

As far as Ben Johnson, we don't know what other training he was doing.  Maybe he also did plyometrics which puts a lot of stress on the calves.  Sprinting itself also uses the calves. 

Too much calf work would exhaust his calves and probably make him slower.  I also doubt doing calf raises would be of value to a  sprinter.

Calf raises are a slow movement and sprinting is an explosive movement.  Doing slow movements doesn't make you faster.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1778 on: July 09, 2021, 08:00:57 AM »
Glad your back posting.

It figures you'd be prone to a calf injury if you ran or did sprints after training calves.

You stressed the achilles tendon with the calf exercises and then put it through even more stress the same day with running. 

Too much stress resulted in the achilles injury.  Too much stress...too little recovery and healing.

As far as Ben Johnson, we don't know what other training he was doing.  Maybe he also did plyometrics which puts a lot of stress on the calves.  Sprinting itself also uses the calves. 

Too much calf work would exhaust his calves and probably make him slower.  I also doubt doing calf raises would be of value to a  sprinter.

Calf raises are a slow movement and sprinting is an explosive movement.  Doing slow movements doesn't make you faster.

I never ran the same day I  trained calves. Always a day or two after.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1779 on: July 09, 2021, 09:00:26 AM »
I never ran the same day I  trained calves. Always a day or two after.

I misunderstood your post and thought you meant you went out and sprinted right after training calves.

"I found after a calf training session I was very prone to injuring the tendon particularly while sprinting."

Still, if you hit your calves hard and you haven't recovered yet (even after a day or two) then maybe the chance of injury is greater if you sprint?  Or maybe you didn't warm up enough?

Check out this website.  He has some recommendations about the Achilles tendon.

>

Achilles Tendon Stretching.  Don't Do It!

https://www.tendonitisexpert.com/achilles-tendon-stretching.html

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1780 on: July 10, 2021, 07:04:19 PM »
I misunderstood your post and thought you meant you went out and sprinted right after training calves.

"I found after a calf training session I was very prone to injuring the tendon particularly while sprinting."

Still, if you hit your calves hard and you haven't recovered yet (even after a day or two) then maybe the chance of injury is greater if you sprint?  Or maybe you didn't warm up enough?

Check out this website.  He has some recommendations about the Achilles tendon.

>

Achilles Tendon Stretching.  Don't Do It!

https://www.tendonitisexpert.com/achilles-tendon-stretching.html

I agree that the tendon shouldn't be stretched but it happens during extreme range of motion during weight lifting calf training under load. Just because he calls himself a tendon expert doesn't make it true. The guy who wrote that has a B.A. degree. An Arts degree not even in science and a personal training certificate obtained through the internet that might have taken him two or three weeks. Reading something on google search doesn't make it true. Many easily found articles that show the Achilles tendon  does have elastic energy return. I think I'm right on my explanation why using an extreme range of motion on a calf machine of any kind is a really bad idea for an athlete.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1781 on: July 10, 2021, 07:25:32 PM »
Damn I got a ear infection from swimming. Painful and I can't hear out of the ear. At least for now my balance is intact. Doc said it's pretty bad. Haven't had one for 25 plus years. Never know what kind of bacteria could be in the surf.  I hear whales crap in the ocean.

Trained delts and arms:

Standing dumbbell delt press 2 x 10 ( all the way down. I try not to do them seated. I found I would scoot my ass out a bit and turn it into a semi incline press. I see people do this in the gym all the time. Not to say doing a steep incline press isn't good for delts. Add in a half range of motion and they got these huge dumbbells to press. Delusional strength.)

Standing dumbbell delt laterals 2 x 12 ( I lean forward a little. Always make an exercise harder than easier if you want to gain the maximum benefit out of an exercise. Sure you will have to use a less weight but you will receive more benefit.)

Seated bent over dumbbell rear delt laterals 2 x 11
Rope pulls 2 x 12
Barbell shrugs 2 x 11 (I feel these more than dumbbell shrugs but many say the opposite. Can't argue their preference.)

Weighted dips 2 x 8
Single dumbbell two hands tricep extension 2 x 12 (I lean against a scott curl attachment turned around)
Rope tricep 1 x 12
Single dumbbell and single arm tricep extension behind the head 1 x 16 (One elbow is giving me grief. Getting old stinks)

EZ curl 2 x 10
Seated incline dumbbell curl 2 x 12
Single arm dumbbell scott curl 2 x 12

wrist curl 2 x 25
wrist ext 2 x 15

crunches with legs on bench 1 x 50 with a plate behind my head. ( This is one exercise I see trainers giving people who have no clue what they are doing. They all just yank on their head. Of course the movement is to lift your upper body to crunch toward your pelvis.)
Pulley crunches 1 x 55 ( Sometimes I get carried away and use too much weight then I don't feel it in the abs. The connection is greater for me with a lighter weight.)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1782 on: July 13, 2021, 05:29:52 PM »
Back and chest: Broken record training. Woke up at 530A before work and got the work out in.  I find it hard to get loose enough to train in the morning. Going down the stairs are tough.  No warm up sets listed. 

Pulldown with a M.A.G. bar 2 x 10
Seated cable rows with V handle 2 x 12
Dumbbell row with a knee on the bench 2 x 10
Reverse grip pulldown 2 x 10

Flat Dumbbell bench 2 x 8
Decline dumbbell bench 2 x 9
Flat flies 2 x 10 (Stop doing these for awhile to protect my shoulder. Now I think the stretch is beneficial. I don't go for the extreme but just enough by feel. Time will tell.)
Push ups 2 x max (Regular and perfect push ups handles. I like doing some body weight exercises.  I think they are very underrated.)

Deadlifts 2 x 4 ( I haven't been posting in awhile. I was doing power cleans for awhile instead of deads. Last time I did deads prior to today I sprained my calf of all things. Today I felt really strong doing the deads. It actually felt light. My usual 2 sets of 4 reps with 315lbs after working back and chest felt really light. I know I could lift a hell of a lot more putting them in the beginning of the work out but it wouldn't be as safe. I like to be completely warmed up and pre fatigued. It makes a light weight heavy and I think I get more out of the movement. Maybe the break from deads with power cleans did me some good.)

Weighted hyper extensions 2 x 15 (I know today most call them back extensions but I can't get out of the habit of calling them hyper extensions. That was the name in the 70's.

Ab wheel roll outs 2 x 22
Cable ab crunch 1 x 55

Staggered up the stairs and got ready for work. Usually I'm invigorated for work if I work out before. I faded really bad as the day went on.  You guys that aren't in your 60's will know what I'm talking about when you get on in years. So many delusional guys in their 30's and 40's think they will be in excellent shape in their 60's. I'm here to tell you that it's very rare especially if you're not on drugs. Most guys in their 60's look like shit on the beach but look in the mirror with their delusional ego telling them self they look good.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1783 on: July 14, 2021, 10:13:13 AM »
Ran a junk mile at a 9 minute pace.  It was 90 degrees and humid. I remember in my 30's and 40's going for 5 -7 miles in this type of heat. More than once I would feel chills and that is a sign of heat exhaustion for me. My wife said I would come in very argumentative until I cooled down.  At my age I know instead of getting some heat exhaustion I could keel over dead. So I only ran one mile. I will pick up the mileage soon. Lifting is my primary exercise activity now but soon I hope to make it an even split or maybe even running dominate for awhile. Did my usual boxing drills after with the heavy bag. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1784 on: July 14, 2021, 10:33:50 AM »
Really humid today.  Dog days of summer.

The media acts like it never got hot in the past.  All kinds of stories about climate change and doom.

Nonsense.  I'm really sick of all this media bullsh*t.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1785 on: July 14, 2021, 11:58:40 AM »
Ran a junk mile at a 9 minute pace.  It was 90 degrees and humid. I remember in my 30's and 40's going for 5 -7 miles in this type of heat. More than once I would feel chills and that is a sign of heat exhaustion for me. My wife said I would come in very argumentative until I cooled down.  At my age I know instead of getting some heat exhaustion I could keel over dead. So I only ran one mile. I will pick up the mileage soon. Lifting is my primary exercise activity now but soon I hope to make it an even split or maybe even running dominate for awhile. Did my usual boxing drills after with the heavy bag.

Oregon had over 100 people die as a result of the recent heatwave.....most did not have air-conditioning or some other way to cool down. Physical exertion exacerbates susceptibility to heat stroke. But then, you already know this. Next time swim laps in your pool instead of running in 90° temperatures.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1786 on: July 14, 2021, 01:25:28 PM »
Oregon had over 100 people die as a result of the recent heatwave.....most did not have air-conditioning or some other way to cool down. Physical exertion exacerbates susceptibility to heat stroke. But then, you already know this. Next time swim laps in your pool instead of running in 90° temperatures.

I stay out of the sun after 10 AM or so.  Any outside activities I finish by then.  Usually do things 7:30-10AM.

Heat index has been around 100 degrees or more lately at peak.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1787 on: July 15, 2021, 07:44:21 AM »
I stay out of the sun after 10 AM or so.  Any outside activities I finish by then.  Usually do things 7:30-10AM.

I love the heat and the sun.  Just at our age it can be dangerous to work out in this humid weather.  After I hit legs today I will clean the pool and float in the sun for a couple of hours.  Maybe it's my Hispanic blood but I love the heat.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1788 on: July 15, 2021, 08:33:08 AM »
I love the heat and the sun.  Just at our age it can be dangerous to work out in this humid weather.  After I hit legs today I will clean the pool and float in the sun for a couple of hours.  Maybe it's my Hispanic blood but I love the heat.

I avoid the sun at peak times because of skin cancer.

Haven't had it yet but my father had it.  Do not want.

Plus it ages your skin and makes you all wrinkled and leathery.

Check out the older women and men who are sun-worshippers.  They look bad and their skin is like leather.

Being Hispanic though you may have resistance to it.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1789 on: July 15, 2021, 12:06:05 PM »
I avoid the sun at peak times because of skin cancer.

Haven't had it yet but my father had it.  Do not want.

Plus it ages your skin and makes you all wrinkled and leathery.

Check out the older women and men who are sun-worshippers.  They look bad and their skin is like leather.

Being Hispanic though you may have resistance to it.

I think I do because I have great skin. I do know what you are talking about with the leather old ladies at the beach.  They look like old catcher's mitts.  Fair skinned people should avoid the sun. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1790 on: July 15, 2021, 12:49:29 PM »
Leg day:  Felt worn out and think it was from being in the pool in the hot sun for hours yesterday.

Leg press 2 x 12 ( Every brand of leg press machine I try has a different feel from the angles. I have a home unit from Serious Steel. I think they are out of business.  It just hits the leg right and it's great for full leg presses. I know the current method is to load up with million plates with a high back board and to barely bend your legs. I just can't believe that's a good thing for development or your joints.

Hack squat 2 x 12 ( I have to admit I'm weak on these or is it my angles of my unit?)  I rarely do hacks but I'm using them again. I stopped using them when I felt my back being compressed. It was a weird sensation but I haven't felt that again. I will ride this out until they give me aggravation again.)

Stiff deads off a block 2 x 6 ( I go for the full stretch. I do round my back somewhat but I have been doing it like that for decades. Always felt it was an excellent supplement to conventional deadlifts.)

Body weight squats 1 x 55 ( really deep and a controlled decent.  I don't flop down like cross fitters trying to beat the clock)

leg extensions 2 x 20
Standing leg curls 2 x 12 ( I use monkey feet standing on a block holding a machine for balance. If you consider buying monkey feet know most running shoes won't fit in the heel section. I actually take off my lifting shoes and I have an old pair of dress shoes that fit in the contraption. I think most will be really pissed when they can't get their athletic shoe into the new fangled boot.  Maybe Chuck Conners will work?)

Single dumbbell side bend 1 x 15 ( I know so many are against this exercise but I have to ask why?  I know someone will google a youtube.  No doubt about it that it hits the side ab muscle. Some will dispute this but grab a 100lbs dumbbell and do reps for each side. Tell me what's sore the day after.)

Hanging straight leg raise 1 x 25 (I really try to round my hips on the up stroke. Am I getting ab involvement or just hip flexors? What ever is true it's a hard exercise.  It also decompresses the back.)

Hip up 1 x 30 (Lay on the floor. Now pick up your legs till they are perpendicular to the floor. Thrust your hips toward the ceiling.)

Two legs calves with two dumbbells 1 x 50 (I am new to this exercise. I use two 25lbs dumbbells.  No block. I rise with both heels in a somewhat controlled positive stroke. After 40 reps my calves were burning. I have three calf machines. Staying away from them for awhile. Having a lot of tendon aggravation when I run the day after calf work. I think it comes from the stretch under load with calf machines.

Single leg no weight with knee locked. 3 x 15 ( I don't use a block. I use my finger tips for balance against a pole. If you keep your knee locked you might be surprised these aren't as easy as it sounds.)

Four way neck machine 2 sets of 25 per side. (My fastest growing body part is my neck. I'm wondering if high reps are the reason. I know most would say some body parts respond best to high reps but I was wondering if I could apply this to all body parts as an experiment.  I know one rep maxes would suffer but are one rep maxes important? Listening to this guy Ryan Humiston on youtube.  I don't want to put words in his mouth but it seems his methodology in general is to do 4 sets with just about no rest between sets. The first could be 20-25 reps. The second after a very short rest might be 17. The third 13 and the fourth maybe 9.  Of course I made up the rep count. Only using it to get the drift of his methodology. He also likes to shock a body part. He does stuff like 100 reps for a deep squat with the bar only.  If you go seriously deep this is really hard.  Just nice to hear someone with a different point of view from the normal 6 to 10 reps and always try to get stronger protocol. You can take your lifting career a lot further trying to improve muscular endurance and please don't confuse the term muscular endurance with cardio.

I've heard a few that lift like this. One guy I know said he was always working his leg with 10 to 12 reps in the big exercises like squats and leg press. One time he started to do set of 25-35 reps and it was torture but his legs started growing. He said he was just pushing so much blood into his legs they started to respond really well and  it was the toughest workouts he ever had. He said the heavy weights with 10 reps were actually an easier workout.

I noticed this in the gym too. A personal trainer who was a young man use to shock me with his "light" weights.  An example was squats with 135 and deadlifts with 135. He took very little rest between sets and pushed the rep count. He really looked ripped. No, he wasn't big but his 170lbs ripped body must turn heads on the beach. 

Some pros use what would be considered light weights. Chris Dickerson was using 160lbs for seated cable lat rows.  Steve Davis did T bar rows with 105lbs.  I heard of a guy that trained with him.  He said he use six quick sets of t bars with little rest in between. The first set was light but by the sixth set it felt heavy.

Am I pushing light weights? No, but pointing out there are ways to make great progress making a light weight heavy.  Weight is relative.  I bet for most of us if we tried 6 sets of 10 reps with 135lbs in the power clean and jerk most wouldn't be able to do it with short rests between sets. Most would say 135lbs is a light weight until you try to do 6 sets of 10 with it. Then it's a very heavy weight.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1791 on: July 15, 2021, 02:19:43 PM »

Here the weather has returned to normal, more or less, around 80° F and sunny with about 30% humity at the hottest time of the day which is usually around 5:00 PM. It is 2:15 PM now and the temperature is 73° and sunny. I don't worry much about the sun because I almost never get a sunburn...just a tan. It stays light until around 9:00 PM. Usually, I work in the garden in the evening. -Never was much of a morning person. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1792 on: July 15, 2021, 04:23:17 PM »
Here the weather has returned to normal, more or less, around 80° F and sunny with about 30% humity at the hottest time of the day which is usually around 5:00 PM. It is 2:15 PM now and the temperature is 73° and sunny. I don't worry much about the sun because I almost never get a sunburn...just a tan. It stays light until around 9:00 PM. Usually, I work in the garden in the evening. -Never was much of a morning person.

In Jersey it's two more days of heat and humidity.  90 degrees with no humidity is very different from 90 and high humidity.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1793 on: July 15, 2021, 04:32:19 PM »
In Jersey it's two more days of heat and humidity.  90 degrees with no humidity is very different from 90 and high humidity.

Don't I know it. The last time I was in DC I went out for a walk between meetings. It wasn't particularly hot out, maybe high 70's but it was so humid, I was completely drenched after walking a couple of blocks. And normally, I am not a big sweater. Do you think people ever get used to it? Over my lifetime, I have lived where it is humid, where it is dry (Southern California) and where the weather is normally very mild.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1794 on: July 15, 2021, 05:05:24 PM »
Leg day:  Felt worn out and think it was from being in the pool in the hot sun for hours yesterday.

Leg press 2 x 12 ( Every brand of leg press machine I try has a different feel from the angles. I have a home unit from Serious Steel. I think they are out of business.  It just hits the leg right and it's great for full leg presses. I know the current method is to load up with million plates with a high back board and to barely bend your legs. I just can't believe that's a good thing for development or your joints.

Hack squat 2 x 12 ( I have to admit I'm weak on these or is it my angles of my unit?)  I rarely do hacks but I'm using them again. I stopped using them when I felt my back being compressed. It was a weird sensation but I haven't felt that again. I will ride this out until they give me aggravation again.)

Stiff deads off a block 2 x 6 ( I go for the full stretch. I do round my back somewhat but I have been doing it like that for decades. Always felt it was an excellent supplement to conventional deadlifts.)

Body weight squats 1 x 55 ( really deep and a controlled decent.  I don't flop down like cross fitters trying to beat the clock)

leg extensions 2 x 20
Standing leg curls 2 x 12 ( I use monkey feet standing on a block holding a machine for balance. If you consider buying monkey feet know most running shoes won't fit in the heel section. I actually take off my lifting shoes and I have an old pair of dress shoes that fit in the contraption. I think most will be really pissed when they can't get their athletic shoe into the new fangled boot.  Maybe Chuck Conners will work?)

Single dumbbell side bend 1 x 15 ( I know so many are against this exercise but I have to ask why?  I know someone will google a youtube.  No doubt about it that it hits the side ab muscle. Some will dispute this but grab a 100lbs dumbbell and do reps for each side. Tell me what's sore the day after.)

Hanging straight leg raise 1 x 25 (I really try to round my hips on the up stroke. Am I getting ab involvement or just hip flexors? What ever is true it's a hard exercise.  It also decompresses the back.)

Hip up 1 x 30 (Lay on the floor. Now pick up your legs till they are perpendicular to the floor. Thrust your hips toward the ceiling.)

Two legs calves with two dumbbells 1 x 50 (I am new to this exercise. I use two 25lbs dumbbells.  No block. I rise with both heels in a somewhat controlled positive stroke. After 40 reps my calves were burning. I have three calf machines. Staying away from them for awhile. Having a lot of tendon aggravation when I run the day after calf work. I think it comes from the stretch under load with calf machines.

Single leg no weight with knee locked. 3 x 15 ( I don't use a block. I use my finger tips for balance against a pole. If you keep your knee locked you might be surprised these aren't as easy as it sounds.)

Four way neck machine 2 sets of 25 per side. (My fastest growing body part is my neck. I'm wondering if high reps are the reason. I know most would say some body parts respond best to high reps but I was wondering if I could apply this to all body parts as an experiment.  I know one rep maxes would suffer but are one rep maxes important? Listening to this guy Ryan Humiston on youtube.  I don't want to put words in his mouth but it seems his methodology in general is to do 4 sets with just about no rest between sets. The first could be 20-25 reps. The second after a very short rest might be 17. The third 13 and the fourth maybe 9.  Of course I made up the rep count. Only using it to get the drift of his methodology. He also likes to shock a body part. He does stuff like 100 reps for a deep squat with the bar only.  If you go seriously deep this is really hard.  Just nice to hear someone with a different point of view from the normal 6 to 10 reps and always try to get stronger protocol. You can take your lifting career a lot further trying to improve muscular endurance and please don't confuse the term muscular endurance with cardio.

I've heard a few that lift like this. One guy I know said he was always working his leg with 10 to 12 reps in the big exercises like squats and leg press. One time he started to do set of 25-35 reps and it was torture but his legs started growing. He said he was just pushing so much blood into his legs they started to respond really well and  it was the toughest workouts he ever had. He said the heavy weights with 10 reps were actually an easier workout.

I noticed this in the gym too. A personal trainer who was a young man use to shock me with his "light" weights.  An example was squats with 135 and deadlifts with 135. He took very little rest between sets and pushed the rep count. He really looked ripped. No, he wasn't big but his 170lbs ripped body must turn heads on the beach. 

Some pros use what would be considered light weights. Chris Dickerson was using 160lbs for seated cable lat rows.  Steve Davis did T bar rows with 105lbs.  I heard of a guy that trained with him.  He said he use six quick sets of t bars with little rest in between. The first set was light but by the sixth set it felt heavy.

Am I pushing light weights? No, but pointing out there are ways to make great progress making a light weight heavy.  Weight is relative.  I bet for most of us if we tried 6 sets of 10 reps with 135lbs in the power clean and jerk most wouldn't be able to do it with short rests between sets. Most would say 135lbs is a light weight until you try to do 6 sets of 10 with it. Then it's a very heavy weight.

The hack squat is my favorite leg exercise.  When my local Powerhouse closed in 2008 the next series of gyms I joined did not have one.  About 6 weeks ago I bought a membership at Crunch Fitness solely because they have a hack squat.  4 plates per side is as heavy as I was using back in 2008 at age 35.  It took me 4 workouts with hacks and I'm back to 4 plates per side at nearly 48 years of age.  God, they feel great.  My quad sweep is returning and I get zero pain in my back or knees using this machine.  I'll never use more than 4 plates, but each week I'll see about adding a rep until I can't.  Never again will I go without this exercise. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1795 on: July 15, 2021, 05:11:22 PM »
The hack squat is my favorite leg exercise.  When my local Powerhouse closed in 2008 the next series of gyms I joined did not have one.  About 6 weeks ago I bought a membership at Crunch Fitness solely because they have a hack squat.  4 plates per side is as heavy as I was using back in 2008 at age 35.  It took me 4 workouts with hacks and I'm back to 4 plates per side at nearly 48 years of age.  God, they feel great.  My quad sweep is returning and I get zero pain in my back or knees using this machine.  I'll never use more than 4 plates, but each week I'll see about adding a rep until I can't.  Never again will I go without this exercise.

Have you ever tried reverse hack squats?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1796 on: July 15, 2021, 05:33:22 PM »

Four plates a side is really impressive. It would either  break my back or I would be stuck in the full squat position. Do you go deep with these?  I seriously have no strength with hacks. I go to full depth. Again, really impressive using four plates.

For about a month or two I was using a squat machine in gym and it felt great for the most part but I started having tweaks in the groin area so I substituted the traditional hack machine.  So far no problems with it but I'm not using the crazy weight you are.  I wonder if it's the configuration of my hack that limits the weight or maybe I'm just weak with the movement?

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1797 on: July 15, 2021, 06:18:09 PM »
Four plates a side is really impressive. It would either  break my back or I would be stuck in the full squat position. Do you go deep with these?  I seriously have no strength with hacks. I go to full depth. Again, really impressive using four plates.

For about a month or two I was using a squat machine in gym and it felt great for the most part but I started having tweaks in the groin area so I substituted the traditional hack machine.  So far no problems with it but I'm not using the crazy weight you are.  I wonder if it's the configuration of my hack that limits the weight or maybe I'm just weak with the movement?

Yeah, I actually touch the bottom.  When I was in my early 20's and at my strongest, I did 6 plates per side for 5-6 reps.  It was heavy though.  I do them 1st after warming up with leg extensions.  Then I move on to leg presses.  I'm only using 5 plates per side for leg presses but I'm doing 10-12 reps.  I feel like I've gotten weaker on those.  I'm also thinking that maybe I should give up leg presses as they seem to have more potential for me to tweak my back. 

@Prime - No, I've never done them.  I've thought about it and I've even tried it without any weights just to get a feel and it just felt too awkward to me.  Maybe I should give them another go.  What are your thoughts on reverse hacks?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1798 on: July 16, 2021, 02:42:19 AM »
Yeah, I actually touch the bottom.  When I was in my early 20's and at my strongest, I did 6 plates per side for 5-6 reps.  It was heavy though.  I do them 1st after warming up with leg extensions.  Then I move on to leg presses.  I'm only using 5 plates per side for leg presses but I'm doing 10-12 reps.  I feel like I've gotten weaker on those.  I'm also thinking that maybe I should give up leg presses as they seem to have more potential for me to tweak my back. 

@Prime - No, I've never done them.  I've thought about it and I've even tried it without any weights just to get a feel and it just felt too awkward to me.  Maybe I should give them another go.  What are your thoughts on reverse hacks?

Even more impressive done prefatigued with leg extensions. I'm going to try to increase the weight used but I have no delusion that  I could use even use three plates a side. It's a great movement. My quads the day after are sore.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1799 on: July 17, 2021, 03:03:17 PM »
Delt and arms:

Dumbbell delt press 2 x 10 ( started with the military with the barbell but my shoulder hurt. Dropped it immediately.)
Dumbbell delt lateral 2 x 10
Dumbbell rear delt lateral 2 x 11
Face pulls 2 x 12
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10

Single dumbbell two arm tricep extension leaning against a reverse scott bench 2 x 12
Traditional tricep pushdowns 2 x 10 (elbow hurt on one arm. Going to make some changes.)
Reverse grip single arm tricep extension with a pulley 2 x 12

Alternate dumbbell curls 2 x 8
Drag barbell curls 2 x 12
Concentration curls 2 x 12

wrist curls 2 x 25
wrist extensions 2 x 15

Weighted crunches 1 x 55
Pulley crunches 1 x 55

After I ran for a 1.5 mile. It was around 95 and humid. Shocked how slow I ran this but the heat and the weight work out slowed me. Came home and my wife was talking to me a million miles an hour like I just walked across the living room instead of worked out to the edge of death.  ;D  She wanted to know what was wrong as I drenched the kitchen floor with sweat. I wonder if she gets it?

A guy told me about his friend  that runs 10 plus miles every day and lifts weights. Looking at his pictures he looks like a real athlete being ripped and trim. He told me his wife said, "I'm glad Jack gets a little exercise every day."  That could be my wife so I can relate.

Jumped in the pool after and that seemed to get my temperature down and my coherency. I was in the pool for about two hours. Got out and cooked amazing T bones from the butcher.  Super market steaks are garbage. It's a shame  that the butcher charges so much but you  have to treat yourself sometimes.