Author Topic: 4 charged in Gang Rape of 16 year old girl  (Read 14091 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: 4 charged in Gang Rape of 16 year old girl
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2007, 08:37:44 PM »
Hey 240 check this out.  So I'm flipping through the channels last night and there I see one of my former undergrad students playing softball for the University.  She hit a double and scored the go ahead run late in the game.  Small world.   :)

LOL... I checked out the university.  I totally understand your perspective now.  You must go crazy surrounded by that many liberals all day long.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2007, 08:40:27 PM »
LOL... I checked out the university.  I totally understand your perspective now.  You must go crazy surrounded by that many liberals all day long.

I'm thinking about using Power Point this fall.  I've used it for seminars, but never in the classroom.  I'm afraid it will stifle discussion.  What do you think?   :)

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2007, 08:41:38 PM »
so you can start having sex... and 10 seconds in, the girl can say stop...

and legally, you can keep pounding her for an hour straight til you're finished?

At some point, doesn't it become holding her against her will?

The cold hard truth is if it gets to that that point the guy is pretty much going to have charges against him dismissed, unless there was some really strong corroborative evidence (for instance, her room-mate walks in after hearing her scream No, and sees that the dude has her pinned).   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2007, 08:44:44 PM »
I'm thinking about using Power Point this fall.  I've used it for seminars, but never in the classroom.  I'm afraid it will stifle discussion.  What do you think?   :)

powerpoint can be a good tool for having resources handy - if you have a 5 slide presentation with 20 links on those 3 pages, you can lecture from it (making your main points with the few slides), then click to the pages whenever the conversation facilitates it.

I faced many 40-page powerpoint presentations in grad school, and I remember them least.  Conversation with a visual engages both the visual and auditory learners, and taking notes or using the occasional manipulative can get the kinesthetic learner involved.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2007, 08:46:26 PM »
Yup.  Most jurisds are pretty unequivocal that she needs to say No before he penetrates her.  Until very recently, in most jurisdictions even saying No wasn't enough.  Thankfully that has changed.

A lot of our law regarding rape is pretty old school . . . the feminists have a cow about it, but there's too many problems implementing a stricter rule.  It all inevitably goes back to what kind of force was used/threatened and what kind of resistance was put up. 

Ah so.  Date rape cases are often very problematic anyway.  I tend to give the guy the benefit of the doubt when date rape allegations are made. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2007, 08:47:25 PM »
The cold hard truth is if it gets to that that point the guy is pretty much going to have charges against him dismissed, unless there was some really strong corroborative evidence (for instance, her room-mate walks in after hearing her scream No, and sees that the dude has her pinned).   

IMO, either the law says it's legal, or it doesn't.

If a video of her changing her mind and being pinned/nailed for 60 minutes would get him convincted, then it's illegal, right?

If this is the case, then your original argument (consent cannot be revoked after penetration) is false.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2007, 08:48:35 PM »
powerpoint can be a good tool for having resources handy - if you have a 5 slide presentation with 20 links on those 3 pages, you can lecture from it (making your main points with the few slides), then click to the pages whenever the conversation facilitates it.

I faced many 40-page powerpoint presentations in grad school, and I remember them least.  Conversation with a visual engages both the visual and auditory learners, and taking notes or using the occasional manipulative can get the kinesthetic learner involved.

So the fewer slides the better.  That's what I'll do.  

Based on my course evaluations, students really like real world problem discussions.  

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2007, 08:49:53 PM »
I'm thinking about using Power Point this fall.  I've used it for seminars, but never in the classroom.  I'm afraid it will stifle discussion.  What do you think?   :)

i use power point all the time in class room like settings.   

Just ask questions to get them taking.  PPT just adds a nice visual. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2007, 08:52:26 PM »
So the fewer slides the better.  That's what I'll do.  
Based on my course evaluations, students really like real world problem discussions.  

yeah, especially depending on the course.  

I worked in the career center as a counselor (they paid my MBA tuition!) and the biggest problem with our upcoming graduates was that they had no tangible proof they could do the job they sought.  No artifacts, nothing but a one-sentence blurb about each class.

The professors who required students to find solutions - and create saveable artifacts to help in the job market - were the best.   Real world prob discussions are terrific.  but go a step further and challenge them on the 2 higher levels of blooms taxonomy - synthesize and evaluation.  Make them build something, tear it down, and rebuild it to solve the problem you give them.  

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2007, 08:52:43 PM »

If this is the case, then your original argument (consent cannot be revoked after penetration) is false.

Old habits die hard, eh 240?  Still like putting words in people's mouths I see. 

It's not my original argmt, it's a rule that most cts apply.  CA overruled in 2003-2004 . . . I don't know of any others that have followed

HTH. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2007, 08:54:13 PM »

wait, you're a teacher too?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2007, 08:55:09 PM »
Old habits die hard, eh 240?  Still like putting words in people's mouths I see. 

It's not my original argmt, it's a rule that most cts apply.  CA overruled in 2003-2004 . . . I don't know of any others that have followed

HTH. 

I'm not flaming, I'm just asking.  I might be in California someday.   :D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2007, 08:55:20 PM »

Yeah.  I need to get out of the stone age.  Even though I haven't gotten any complaints in over three years, it sort of feels like I'm behind the times.  I think I'll go with the "few slides" option.  I don't like rigid outlines and like to be able to let the discussion go where the students lead (within certain parameters).  

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2007, 08:57:15 PM »
wait, you're a teacher too?

I'm a consultant for a company.  I put on 1 to 5 day sales training/management seminars around the country.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2007, 09:01:38 PM »
Yeah.  I need to get out of the stone age.  Even though I haven't gotten any complaints in over three years, it sort of feels like I'm behind the times.  I think I'll go with the "few slides" option.  I don't like rigid outlines and like to be able to let the discussion go where the students lead (within certain parameters). 

When you get in the grove of using PPT, you can put in links to pics/web sites, video etc that you can pull up anytime.  I'm not sure what you teach, but if it's something that breeds discussion that's important for the class, fewer slides is better or at least be willing to navigate to different points based on where the discussion leads.

Your slides also could have questions that incite discussion and you could put relevant facts on the  slides that you can pull up when needed with a click.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2007, 09:02:14 PM »
I'm a consultant for a company.  I put on 1 to 5 day sales training/management seminars around the country.

Liar!   :D

I just sat through about 8 hours of a seminar last week over two days.  If not for the food, I would have had a hard time staying awake.   :)  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2007, 09:03:18 PM »

Interesting.  Lots of flying?

Was it your experiences that someone referenced regarding 9/11?  I only ask because they say flight attendants/stewardesses are some of the most educated, aware, and smart people when it comes to 9/11 information, sky security, etc.  Very opinionated group.

(Not trying to derail thread.  As you were!)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2007, 09:03:38 PM »
When you get in the grove of using PPT, you can put in links to pics/web sites, video etc that you can pull up anytime.  I'm not sure what you teach, but if it's something that breeds discussion that's important for the class, fewer slides is better or at least be willing to navigate to different points based on where the discussion leads.

Your slides also could have questions that incite discussion and you could put relevant facts on the  slides that you can pull up when needed with a click.

Good advice.  Thanks Ozmo. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2007, 09:05:51 PM »
Liar!   :D

I just sat through about 8 hours of a seminar last week over two days.  If not for the food, I would have had a hard time staying awake.   :) 

I put on great seminars! 

If any of the participants stay awake the entire time they get $20 at the end!  ;D

Sorry you didn't get your $20!   ;)

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2007, 09:09:16 PM »
Interesting.  Lots of flying?

Was it your experiences that someone referenced regarding 9/11?  I only ask because they say flight attendants/stewardesses are some of the most educated, aware, and smart people when it comes to 9/11 information, sky security, etc.  Very opinionated group.

(Not trying to derail thread.  As you were!)

About 75K miles per year.

I've never talked to flight attendants about 9/11. 

:)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2007, 09:12:07 PM »
I put on great seminars! 

If any of the participants stay awake the entire time they get $20 at the end!  ;D

Sorry you didn't get your $20!   ;)

lol.  Good incentive.  I'll have you know I have fallen asleep on some very important people.   :)

Mine was an in-house seminar that I technically funded (at least in part).  We brought in some writing expert.  SNORE!   :)

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2007, 09:17:25 PM »
lol.  Good incentive.  I'll have you know I have fallen asleep on some very important people.   :)

Mine was an in-house seminar that I technically funded (at least in part).  We brought in some writing expert.  SNORE!   :)

ugh  lol.....

Participation and interaction combined with lots of meat and little fluff make a good seminar.  IMO. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2007, 11:57:48 PM »
Ah so.  Date rape cases are often very problematic anyway.  I tend to give the guy the benefit of the doubt when date rape allegations are made. 

How about when the rape is imortalized on film? What say you then?  :-\
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2007, 12:00:13 AM »
IMO, either the law says it's legal, or it doesn't.

If a video of her changing her mind and being pinned/nailed for 60 minutes would get him convincted, then it's illegal, right?

Consent once granted can most definately be withdrawn.

Trust me guys, ...this is something you don't want to test.  :o
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2007, 12:05:33 AM »
Good Grief people!!!  >:(  This thread is about a violent brutal gang rape of a little girl!

...and you want to discuss 911, and powerpoint presentations?  ::)

{sigh} ...ok... I'll bite.

If 60 page powerpoints put you to sleep, what about 20 page powerpoints?
(I referring specifically to the powerpoint I sent you)  Was it pretty much self-explanatory? :P
w