Author Topic: CDC finally admits cloth masks don’t work.  (Read 1737 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
Re: CDC finally admits cloth masks don’t work.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 04:45:39 PM »
That's not what the article states.

The CDC said cloth masks are not as effective as N95 masks.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 04:58:59 PM »
That's not what the article states.

The CDC said cloth masks are not as effective as N95 masks.

The cloth masks are worthless.   Everyone knows it.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 06:33:38 PM »
The cloth masks are worthless.   Everyone knows it.

No, they are not worthless.  They offer some additional protection.  Conservatively, they are 30% effective.  I'm wearing my cloth one right now.  I ripped a small piece of a napkin and placed it on my desk here at work.  With my cloth mask on I got as close to the napkin as possible without touching it.  I blew as hard as I could (no homo) through the mask and the sliver of a napkin didn't budge.  You don't want to wear a mask.  Neither do I.  But you are not being honest about whether they work or not. 

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 07:02:47 PM »
Like trying to keep mosquitos out of your yard with chain link fence.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 07:18:36 PM »
No, they are not worthless.  They offer some additional protection.  Conservatively, they are 30% effective.  I'm wearing my cloth one right now.  I ripped a small piece of a napkin and placed it on my desk here at work.  With my cloth mask on I got as close to the napkin as possible without touching it.  I blew as hard as I could (no homo) through the mask and the sliver of a napkin didn't budge.  You don't want to wear a mask.  Neither do I.  But you are not being honest about whether they work or not.

You are making up that 30 percent figure.  There is no science showing that cloth masks are effective at stopping the transmission of this virus.  I know you're probably just making a common sense argument, because logically you would think masks of any kind would be effective.  But that's not what the science shows.   

Even the only scientific study showing that N95 masks provide some protection is not reliable.  They used mannequins and sprayed particles at the covered mannequins.  That does not mimic real life.  In reality, the masks are repeatedly taken on and off, we repeatedly put our hands under the masks, they are in our pockets, on desks, floors, etc. 

All you have to do is look at the places with draconian mask mandates (like Hawaii) and see that mask mandates have done nothing to slow the spread of this virus.  You cannot stop or slow the spread of this virus with masks.   

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 08:59:06 PM »
You are making up that 30 percent figure.  There is no science showing that cloth masks are effective at stopping the transmission of this virus.  I know you're probably just making a common sense argument, because logically you would think masks of any kind would be effective.  But that's not what the science shows.   

Even the only scientific study showing that N95 masks provide some protection is not reliable.  They used mannequins and sprayed particles at the covered mannequins.  That does not mimic real life.  In reality, the masks are repeatedly taken on and off, we repeatedly put our hands under the masks, they are in our pockets, on desks, floors, etc. 

All you have to do is look at the places with draconian mask mandates (like Hawaii) and see that mask mandates have done nothing to slow the spread of this virus.  You cannot stop or slow the spread of this virus with masks.   

Not making it up.  Someone from the CDC was on the news and slapped the 30% number on cloth masks.  She said they aren't ideal but better than nothing. 

Obviously, if you take off the mask it isn't effective.  But if I have covid and sneeze in your face whilst wearing a mask, you have a better than good chance of not catching it.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 08:59:20 PM »

Cool story Linus.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 09:10:30 PM »
Not making it up.  Someone from the CDC was on the news and slapped the 30% number on cloth masks.  She said they aren't ideal but better than nothing. 

Obviously, if you take off the mask it isn't effective.  But if I have covid and sneeze in your face whilst wearing a mask, you have a better than good chance of not catching it.

Ok my bad about the 30 percent number.  Regardless of who it comes from, it's a made up number.  It is not based on scientific study. 

I understand what you're saying.  Context matters though.  We're really talking about mask mandates and whether they are a proportional response to this virus.  The answer from a science perspective is clearly "no." 

Bruh just think about how crazy these mandates are.  You have to wear your mask on the plane while eating and drinking, in between bites and sips.  You have to wear your mask to enter a restaurant, but can take it off as soon as you get to your table.  Forcing 2 and 3 year old kids to wear masks.  It's insane.

I don't fault anyone for choosing to wear a mask or taking any measures they believe will protect their health.  But forcing people to wear something that is not supported by science is wrong. 

And we're all getting this virus.  It is endemic.  It's never going away.  We have to learn to live with it just like the flu. 

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 09:19:26 PM »
Ok my bad about the 30 percent number.  Regardless of who it comes from, it's a made up number.  It is not based on scientific study. 

I understand what you're saying.  Context matters though.  We're really talking about mask mandates and whether they are a proportional response to this virus.  The answer from a science perspective is clearly "no." 

Bruh just think about how crazy these mandates are.  You have to wear your mask on the plane while eating and drinking, in between bites and sips.  You have to wear your mask to enter a restaurant, but can take it off as soon as you get to your table.  Forcing 2 and 3 year old kids to wear masks.  It's insane.

I don't fault anyone for choosing to wear a mask or taking any measures they believe will protect their health.  But forcing people to wear something that is not supported by science is wrong. 

And we're all getting this virus.  It is endemic.  It's never going away.  We have to learn to live with it just like the flu.

I'm not a big mandate guy.  I don't want lockdowns.  I take issue with the title of this thread.  It's misleading at best.  I was replying to the title of this thread.  Nothing more.  On a lighter note, I am still struggling to get invested in basketball this year.  I hope the trade deadline produces some good moves and re-captures my interest.  I suspect that it will.  Also, my fucking Pistons need to stop winning.  LOL.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 09:45:19 PM »
They’re worthless. Even the N95’s for the public.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 10:13:52 PM »
I'm not a big mandate guy.  I don't want lockdowns.  I take issue with the title of this thread.  It's misleading at best.  I was replying to the title of this thread.  Nothing more.  On a lighter note, I am still struggling to get invested in basketball this year.  I hope the trade deadline produces some good moves and re-captures my interest.  I suspect that it will.  Also, my fucking Pistons need to stop winning.  LOL.

I think the title is essentially accurate.  The CDC is never going to admit mistakes.  Their new guidance is as close as they will come to admitting they have been lying to the public about the effectiveness of cloth masks.  Those people are diabolical.  I listened to an interview the other day by a reporter who exposed a study that purportedly confirmed mask mandates in schools work.  (The don't.)  Contained alarmingly misleading info.  Supported by the CDC.

I'm actually a little more optimistic about my Lakers, even though they just lost to the Kings.   ::)  The Frozen One is playing his best basketball of the year.  Monk was a steal.  He's the real deal.  Anthony "Street Clothes" Davis is supposed to come back in a couple weeks.  The team overall has played well the past five or six games (except for WestBrick).  I'm thinking they will put it together the second half of the season. 

Don't really care about the rest of the league.  lol 

Your Pistons have a pretty firm grip on a lottery pick, so doesn't look like you have anything to worry about. 

What I'm really focused on is my Niners on Sunday.  It feels like the 90s all over again.   :)

Gym-Rat

• Getbig V
  • BRUTAL IF TRUE!!
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2022, 01:58:26 AM »

you shouldnt 'take issue' with anything posed here
why so serious on getbig?
like it matters
you wanna be a mask-nut feel free
dont want to wear one feel free
they are not doing much
you will catch the virus if in the right situation
mask will not help

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2022, 03:13:17 AM »
"The C.D.C. conceded that cloth masks do not protect against the virus as effectively as other masks (respirator type/N95)."

Nothing new in this article.  Everybody already knows this.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2022, 04:33:25 AM »
you shouldnt 'take issue' with anything posed here
why so serious on getbig?
like it matters
you wanna be a mask-nut feel free
dont want to wear one feel free
they are not doing much
you will catch the virus if in the right situation
mask will not help

Thanks for talking me off the ledge. 🤣

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2022, 05:45:41 AM »

Gym-Rat

• Getbig V
  • BRUTAL IF TRUE!!
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2022, 07:43:37 AM »
Thanks for talking me off the ledge. 🤣

:P

a-brah g. 
no worries

any relation to hazmat brah?  :P

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2022, 09:28:43 AM »
Like trying to keep mosquitos out of your yard with chain link fence.

This is nothing more than a false clever seeming analogy.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2022, 10:07:28 AM »
This is nothing more than a false clever seeming analogy.

Because the lies are being believed at things explained at a child level, the analogies to debunk should be explained that way as well.

So....have it your way.

Two layers of cloth mask is said to stop about 70-80% of the vapor from a cough..not the virus - the vapor. One cough. I won't even dispute that. Fine.

Now wear one all day around people...everyone is doing what? Cough, breathe, cough, breath, sniffle, sneeze, nose out of mask, etc...thousands of times...and do the math of what the chances are that it would be effective in real world terms.

...and that's two single ply masks...

Obviously,  it's not effective. Never was.

HTH

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2022, 10:51:46 AM »
Because the lies are being believed at things explained at a child level, the analogies to debunk should be explained that way as well.

So....have it your way.

Two layers of cloth mask is said to stop about 70-80% of the vapor from a cough..not the virus - the vapor. One cough. I won't even dispute that. Fine.

Now wear one all day around people...everyone is doing what? Cough, breathe, cough, breath, sniffle, sneeze, nose out of mask, etc...thousands of times...and do the math of what the chances are that it would be effective in real world terms.

...and that's two single ply masks...

Obviously,  it's not effective. Never was.

HTH

I must be superhuman. It is rare that I cough or sneeze. You make it seem like everyone is out there in public coughing the lungs out and sneezing their heads off.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2022, 11:21:30 AM »
I must be superhuman. It is rare that I cough or sneeze. You make it seem like everyone is out there in public coughing the lungs out and sneezing their heads off.
Wouldn't matter, as soon as the mask is taken out of the package and exposed to the air, it's potentially infected. Every time you put your grubby hands on your face, touch your mask, remove it and then put it back on, all possibly exposure events. Even the precious n95 masks are not immune to this fact. And if you don't treat your precious n95 mask delicately, it too will be a harbor for viruses. This mask BS is simply that, BS.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2022, 12:36:57 PM »
They’re worthless. Even the N95’s for the public.

hmmmm, I may have to rethink my position on the N95. Apparently I was mislead by the laboratory testing. Coach states they are worthless for the public. Coach would not lie, exaggerate or spread false information, everyone knows that, so the only conclusion that makes sense is the N95 is indeed worthless

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2022, 12:38:59 PM »
hmmmm, I may have to rethink my position on the N95. Apparently I was mislead by the laboratory testing. Coach states they are worthless for the public. Coach would not lie, exaggerate or spread false information, everyone knows that, so the only conclusion that makes sense is the N95 is indeed worthless

You have a point. Apparently a whole lot of people are 'dead' wrong about N85 masks.  ;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2022, 12:45:39 PM »
You have a point. Apparently a whole lot of people are 'dead' wrong about N85 masks.  ;D

Yes.   Because in the real world situations used by real people , they don’t do anything for reasons previously listed.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2022, 12:48:52 PM »

Cloth masks add 5 minutes of protection vs unmasked.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cloth-face-mask-omicron-11640984082

Basically useless.
Y