Author Topic: Give Me Your Best Tips For A Stellar Job Interview  (Read 85189 times)

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
Give Me Your Best Tips For A Stellar Job Interview
« on: November 11, 2013, 05:14:52 PM »
I am interviewing for my dream job.

It's a very skilled job and the position is very rare. I would say there are maybe less than 2000 people in the world that do this. 700 applicants world wide applied for it, and I managed to be one of the few that got an interview.

I have the perfect skill set for it, but am afraid my downfall will be the personality type questions.

Give me any and all advice you have for acing a job interview. This is a once in a lifetime chance and I don't want to screw it up.

galeniko

• Getbig V
Re: Give Me Your Best Tips For A Stellar Job Interview
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 05:25:10 PM »
do the interview under the table :-* :-*
n

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 05:29:09 PM »
First of all, try not to fart. 

Also, use the Obama method and blame someone else for any of your past failures. 

If that doesn't work, you know what to do.  Remember to cup the balls though.

You're welcome.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 05:29:33 PM »
It may sound obvious (or silly) but be yourself and don't ask the interviewer "Do you even lift?" until you've been offered the position.  

The personality questions are designed to catch people trying to pretend to be someone else, so just be honest about any weaknesses.  And ffs, don't try that lame trick of making a strength sound like a weakness ("My biggest weakness is that I work too hard," or candy-ass shit like that).  

Good luck.
~

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 05:42:33 PM »
If its a behavioral interview, PRACTICE BEHAVIORAL QUESTIONS! This is easily done with a quick google search. You want to practice a list of those questions. It all has to do with experiences in your past. Think of the complex projects you've worked on (these will allow you to answer many questions based on a single experience), tough situations and people you have handled, times when you went the extra mile. Also think of tough questions you might be asked, like a gap in your resume, or reasons why you made certain decisions in your career/education, etc.

They key is to have as few surprises as possible in the interview.
follow the arrows

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 05:43:27 PM »
WTF?
 :-\
There is a reason I didn't ask this question on Gossip & Opinions gentlemen.

Thanks Andy, for a solid response.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 05:49:50 PM »
WTF?
 :-\
There is a reason I didn't ask this question on Gossip & Opinions gentlemen.

Thanks Andy, for a solid response.

Unbelievable!  I take time out of my evening to help you and this is how you repay me?  Look, if you don't think my advice was sound then go ahead and fart during your interview and see what happens.  Fucking ingrate.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 05:55:26 PM »
It may sound obvious (or silly) but be yourself and don't ask the interviewer "Do you even lift?" until you've been offered the position.  

The personality questions are designed to catch people trying to pretend to be someone else, so just be honest about any weaknesses.  And ffs, don't try that lame trick of making a strength sound like a weakness ("My biggest weakness is that I work too hard," or candy-ass shit like that).  

Good luck.
Good advice. honest but not too honest. On the weakness question, the last time i was asked that interview question was for a job at the college tutoring center, lol. No one really asks that question anymore, but you never know.
follow the arrows

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 05:57:06 PM »
I hate getting asked for my weak points.

I never know what to say and I fumble. When it comes to the workplace I don't fuck around....I take my positions very seriously.

It's not like in university when I would procrastinate, or even procrastinating going for a workout.

At work I'm a machine.

I do tend to ask ALOT of questions because I want to know absolutely everything. Even when it's really not my area of expertise. How could I word that into a weakness. It's certainly not a good thing at times.

I've bothered millwrights on site asking them all sorts of shit about what they do......even though they are the millwright and I'm the engineer.

Otherwise I'm pretty damn focused.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 06:07:50 PM »
Brainstorm some weaknesses that have a positive flip side or you can say you are working on.

Examples:
"I tend to take on too many responsibilities when working on a group project. I have improved on this by sharing work responsibilities and asking for help when necessary"

"I have a hard time saying no to requests, because I don't want to let people down. I'm working on this by prioritizing my own work and politely saying no"

"I have trouble being assertive in the workplace because I don't want to seem aggressive. I have realized that it is necessary to state my needs as it promotes a healthier work environment so I try to be more assertive now"

And so on and so forth. I just came up with some answers off the top of my head, I'm sure others and yourself can come up with better and more detailed answers. Just giving you an idea.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 06:09:13 PM »
If you can't think of anything that is true, just have some standard answer ready. You are unlikely to be asked a question about your weaknesses anyway.
follow the arrows

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 06:12:53 PM »
Good advice. honest but not too honest. On the weakness question, the last time i was asked that interview question was for a job at the college tutoring center, lol. No one really asks that question anymore, but you never know.

I'm always perfectly prepared to fight the last war  :-\
~

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 06:15:20 PM »
Brainstorm some weaknesses that have a positive flip side or you can say you are working on.

Examples:
"I tend to take on too many responsibilities when working on a group project. I have improved on this by sharing work responsibilities and asking for help when necessary"

"I have a hard time saying no to requests, because I don't want to let people down. I'm working on this by prioritizing my own work and politely saying no"

"I have trouble being assertive in the workplace because I don't want to seem aggressive. I have realized that it is necessary to state my needs as it promotes a healthier work environment so I try to be more assertive now"

And so on and so forth. I just came up with some answers off the top of my head, I'm sure others and yourself can come up with better and more detailed answers. Just giving you an idea.

These are brilliant. Things like this I can come up with easily....but not on the spot when I'm all nerves. That's my biggest problem.

With this particular interview I am more nervous than ever, as it means so much to me.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 06:17:46 PM »

Examples:

this is what I was driving at...thank you for getting it all out there

BS...you can't help but win this job
~

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 06:26:52 PM »
These are brilliant. Things like this I can come up with easily....but not on the spot when I'm all nerves. That's my biggest problem.

With this particular interview I am more nervous than ever, as it means so much to me.
Yeah, I know where you are coming from. Interviews for me really are like playing on a knife's edge; not thinking they are so important that they paralyze me, and also not being too relaxed. I've found that nerves help me, it drives me to think up answers or link together facts I hadn't even thought of sitting in a calm environment practicing at home. I don't know how much time you have to prepare for this. Depending on how much time you have you want to practice with a list of questions. If you don't have a lot of time, focus on just the important stuff, the big questions as they relate to the job and your experience.
follow the arrows

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 05:00:53 AM »

If you know your stuff, don't over think it.  While the advice given earlier is valuable and smart, employers want people who they like and want to work with, not someone who gives the best canned/prepped answers.  Haider gave you what you need on that front, so just try to relax now.  Remember, you're having a discussion about YOU, and who could possibly know more about that subject?

The weaknesses question is stupid anyway, and personally, gives me nothing I need when I interview people.

What's the job?
Y

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 08:28:11 AM »
I'm usually not that nervous for interviews, unless I really want the position. With this one I do!

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
  • flirtin with disaster everyday
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 08:59:42 AM »
Read a Dale Carnegie book called "How to win friends and influence people"

Use body language,[not sexual] people pick up subconsciously on clues that you send out by the way you place your arms, hands etc.

If you keep your arms open wide and hands open it is a cue to the mind that you are friendly and out going, fold your arms and close your hands is a signal that you are protective and do not wish to be bothered.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 09:22:40 AM »
Read a Dale Carnegie book called "How to win friends and influence people"

Use body language,[not sexual] people pick up subconsciously on clues that you send out by the way you place your arms, hands etc.

If you keep your arms open wide and hands open it is a cue to the mind that you are friendly and out going, fold your arms and close your hands is a signal that you are protective and do not wish to be bothered.

YES!!
I studied lots of body language and nonverbal communication in college. Learn what it says and be very conscious of it.

Also, there are tons of sample interview questions that are commonly asked, and many sites offer examples of good and bad answers. As mentioned above, a quick Google search on the subject will prove invaluable.

Be as prepared as you can!!

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 01:29:09 PM »
I'm usually not that nervous for interviews, unless I really want the position. With this one I do!

What is the position?
Y

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 02:48:50 PM »
If you know your stuff, don't over think it.  While the advice given earlier is valuable and smart, employers want people who they like and want to work with, not someone who gives the best canned/prepped answers.  Haider gave you what you need on that front, so just try to relax now.  Remember, you're having a discussion about YOU, and who could possibly know more about that subject?

The weaknesses question is stupid anyway, and personally, gives me nothing I need when I interview people.

What's the job?
I've found this to be true as well. My understanding is that people can be trained into doing most jobs well (given a suitable level of intelligence and education), whereas their personalities are not prone to change.
follow the arrows

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 04:51:59 PM »
I hate getting asked for my weak points.

I never know what to say and I fumble. When it comes to the workplace I don't fuck around....I take my positions very seriously.

It's not like in university when I would procrastinate, or even procrastinating going for a workout.

At work I'm a machine.

I do tend to ask ALOT of questions because I want to know absolutely everything. Even when it's really not my area of expertise. How could I word that into a weakness. It's certainly not a good thing at times.

I've bothered millwrights on site asking them all sorts of shit about what they do......even though they are the millwright and I'm the engineer.

Otherwise I'm pretty damn focused.

If asked to write your answer, remember that "a lot" is two words.  There is no "alot."  There is "allot," but you probably won't use that word a lot.
Y

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 07:55:06 PM »

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 08:06:41 PM »
If asked to write your answer, remember that "a lot" is two words.  There is no "alot."  There is "allot," but you probably won't use that word a lot.

Yes....I absolutely know this but continue to misspell it! All the time!

I also get effect and affect mixed up STILL. I'm 35.  :(

Thank you for pointing that out.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 08:57:33 PM »
never let the person interviewing you be in charge of the interview...its YOUR interview!

bench