Author Topic: Tennessee atheists win right to distribute literature after schools give Bibles  (Read 88836 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
I hate these topics...would be people be better off with a little religions...sure...but you can't have it in public schools. However there are plenty of examples of bullshit classes on being Muslim for a day etc. They bend over backwards for a trumped up political system masquerading as a world religion.
L

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
and unlike you I don't think either atheists or any religious group should be pushing their beliefs in a public school

other than that

have at it

The first part I obviously already knew, hence my post starting with "Unlike you..."  The highlighted part above is not what you said first, but if it's what meant to say, then okay.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Or maybe they exist to protect everyone from having to live under conditions that are based on a fairy tale and is forced upon the nation through laws and constitutional amendments.

Absurd.  The overwhelming majority of the country believes in God.  It has always been that way.  Those minuscule numbers of dumb atheists (not referring to all atheists) who run around the country crying about any hint of religion or God in the public square are morons.  They're not protecting anyone.  They are paranoid anti-religious extremists. 

But even morons like them have the right to protest, organize around a belief in nothing, file lawsuits, cry, complain, contend they suffer extreme emotional distress whenever they see religious symbols, etc. 

And like El Profeta, I am not threatened at all by atheists who do those things. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
The first part I obviously already knew, hence my post starting with "Unlike you..."  The highlighted part above is not what you said first, but if it's what meant to say, then okay.

here was where I first commented in this thread that neither group should be doing this in a public school

meh...I'm not sure.  I'm thinking there's nothing wrong with giving people, especially students, multiple sides of the issue.  If they can pass out religious material, they should be able to pass out atheistic or agnostic material.  Besides, probably not appropriate to disperse this stuff at a school anyway.  Keep it at home.

definitely not appropriate

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
How are they protecting their right to be free from religion, when they are pushing their own agenda?  Why not just ignore religious people?  I do it all the time.  I got bum rushed by some Jehovahs Witnesses the other day as I walking into my house.  I accepted their pamphlet, thanked them, went in the house, and threw it away.  I wasn't offended.  I didn't feel the need to go protest, etc. 

Sometimes religious people just can't be ignored... they tend to want to push their agenda/beliefs on people who don't share them... I wish it was just a matter of ignoring them... that doesn't always turn out well.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
here was where I first commented in this thread that neither group should be doing this in a public school

I missed that.  Sorry!  I stand corrected!

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Sometimes religious people just can't be ignored... they tend to want to push their agenda/beliefs on people who don't share them... I wish it was just a matter of ignoring them... that doesn't always turn out well.

Doesn't this apply too to political views, culture, etc., regardless of religion?  Liberals will try push their agenda on conservatives, and vice versa.  I've read many times of rival sports fans killing each other.  It's not only religion.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Absurd.  The overwhelming majority of the country believes in God.  It has always been that way.  Those minuscule numbers of dumb atheists (not referring to all atheists) who run around the country crying about any hint of religion or God in the public square are morons.  They're not protecting anyone.  They are paranoid anti-religious extremists. 

But even morons like them have the right to protest, organize around a belief in nothing, file lawsuits, cry, complain, contend they suffer extreme emotional distress whenever they see religious symbols, etc. 

And like El Profeta, I am not threatened at all by atheists who do those things. 

Does not matter what they believe in.  The Constitution and Bill of Rights do not exist to enforce biblical law.  If some, the majority, or none want to follow biblical laws then they are free to.  But those that do not believe in fairy tales shouldn't be forced to go along with it or live under conditions and laws that are created with biblical law as the premise. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Does not matter what they believe in.  The Constitution and Bill of Rights do not exist to enforce biblical law.  If some, the majority, or none want to follow biblical laws then they are free to.  But those that do not believe in fairy tales shouldn't be forced to go along with it or live under conditions and laws that are created with biblical law as the premise. 

What Biblical laws are you talking about?  And who is trying to enforce those Biblical laws? 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
What Biblical laws are you talking about?  And who is trying to enforce those Biblical laws? 

Most recently gay marriage. How many religious nuts cry about it remaining illegal because the Bible is against it?  How many Constitutional Amendments and ballot measures have been attempted to keep this prohibited due to their beliefs when it is clearly not prohibited by the Constitution itself?  Likewise for abortion.  Countless laws exist in many states that prohibit some activities from being performed on Sundays. (alcohol sales, etc..)   Some states have laws against sodomy.  Michigan treats adultery as a felony. 

These laws are nothing more than biased religious viewpoints.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
If atheism is valid, then it should be bulletproof from religious people trying to proselytize, and therefore atheists passing out pamphlets shouldn't be a necessity.

Sorry, that's not at all logical.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Sorry, that's not at all logical.

RRKore, did you bother to read the thread, specially my post to Straw Man where I explain the reason why I posted this and what is my point?

Are you a 24KT/Judy/JaguarEnterprises/Samson123 gimmick account?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
RRKore, did you bother to read the thread, specially my post to Straw Man where I explain the reason why I posted this and what is my point?

Loco, I said the same thing as RRKore.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo

Dont insult kore by comparing him to her.
A

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Loco, I said the same thing as RRKore.

And I responded to you already.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
I think its perfectly natural that religious people and Atheist share similar attitudes regarding each others stuff.

Of course they will ridicule, minimize, challenge their approaches, and or diminish each other in  some ways.  

Also i think its important for the sake of productive debate that the extremes on both sides are not given importance as factors, such as religious whack jobs or what look to be former religious whack jobs turned atheists.  

Religion = beliefs based on faith

Atheism = beliefs based on the evolving discovery of facts

Facts need to be learned in school.

Atheism and Religion need to stay the fuck out.

PS:  RRkore is nothing like 24K

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
PS:  RRkore is nothing like 24K

I didn't think so either, until I read his posts in the thread "78% Favor Proof of Citizenship Before Being Allowed to Vote", then fled from that thread just like she did.

OzmO

• Getbig V
I didn't think so either, until I read his posts in the thread "78% Favor Proof of Citizenship Before Being Allowed to Vote", then fled from that thread just like she did.

Currently he hasn't responded to your question but he did eventually respond to my explanation of why Jags was so off base. 

You're right; It refers to federal voter registration forms. 

Anyway, informative thread.  I did not know that non-citizens are allowed to vote in some local elections.

Jags would have acted  condescending never really admitting being wrong ignoring details and distinctions.  Basically a arrogant CT'er who's too wrapped up in their ignorance.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
And I responded to you already.

yep

and after a page and a half of dialogue your original statement still makes no sense

It began with you not understanding this simple statement to Bum

why is it retarded and why are you so scared of atheists in the first place

If your religion is valid then it should be bulletproof from a few atheists passing out pamphlets

you turned this around and make it into a completely illogical statement which I attempted through many examples to explain to you.

refer back to the last 2 pages

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
yep

and after a page and a half of dialogue your original statement still makes no sense

It began with you not understanding this simple statement to Bum

you turned this around and make it into a completely illogical statement which I attempted through many examples to explain to you.

refer back to the last 2 pages

Oh, I see.  So you want to go round and round in circles because you fail to understand that your statement goes both ways.    ::)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Oh, I see.  So you want to go round and round in circles because you fail to understand that your statement goes both ways.    ::)

wrong again

I've said everything I care to say on the topic

If you have something NEW to offer then feel free

Maybe RRKore would like to waste his time but I'm not interested as your beliefs are immune to logic and even basic common sense

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

wrong again

I've said everything I care to say on the topic

If you have something NEW to offer then feel free

Maybe RRKore would like to waste his time but I'm not interested as your beliefs are immune to logic and even basic common sense

Then why do you keep posting and going round and round in circles with me?  

You are the one immune to logic.  If Christianity is such a lie and such a load of BS, and if atheism is so factual and valid, why do you see a need to pass out pamphlets in college campuses to compete with Christians?  Wouldn't people know from the start, or eventually find out on their own that Christianity is BS and atheism isn't?

Richard Dawkins has repeatedly said that main stream scientists shouldn't debate Creationists, because it gives Creationists attention and validates them.  

That is one reason why I, unlike you, don't care if atheists pass out pamphlets all they want to and anywhere they want to, because in doing so they validate Christianity for the reasons I list above, even if they believe Christianity isn't valid.  

Christianity started with one man 2,000 years ago, and it grew to the point that today's world population is mostly Christian, and even greater is the percentage that is theist if you include all religions.

Atheism started with one man around 6,000 years ago, and it grew to...well, atheists have always been the minority and will always be the minority.  I guess that's why you see a need to pass out pamphlets.   ::)

OzmO

• Getbig V

You are the one immune to logic.  If Christianity is such a lie and such a load of BS, and if atheism is so factual and valid, why do you see a need to pass out pamphlets in college campuses to compete with Christians?  Wouldn't people know from the start, or eventually find out on their own that Christianity is BS and atheism isn't?

Richard Dawkins has repeatedly said that main stream scientists shouldn't debate Creationists, because it gives Creationists attention and validates them. 

That is one reason why I, unlike you, don't care if atheists pass out pamphlets all they want to and anywhere they want to, because in doing so they validate Christianity for the reasons I list above, even if they believe Christianity isn't valid. 

Christianity started with one man 2,000 years ago, and it grew to the point that today's world population is mostly Christian, and even more are theists of other religions.

Atheism started with one man around 6,000 years ago, and it grew to...well, atheists have always been the minority and will always be the minority.  I guess that's why you see a need to pass out pamphlets.   ::)

Are we really mostly Christian?  Just curious.  We have 6-7 billion people on the planet.  Are you saying more than any other religion or more than half?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Are we really mostly Christian?  Just curious.  We have 6-7 billion people on the planet.  Are you saying more than any other religion or more than half?

I'm going by this.  Sorry, it's all I got.

Religions:
Christian 33.39% (of which Roman Catholic 16.85%, Protestant 6.15%, Orthodox 3.96%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.74%, Hindu 13.8%, Buddhist 6.77%, Sikh 0.35%, Jewish 0.22%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 10.95%, non-religious 9.66%, atheists 2.01% (2010 est.)

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/xx.html

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

You are the one immune to logic.  If Christianity is such a lie and such a load of BS, and if atheism is so factual and valid, why do you see a need to pass out pamphlets in college campuses to compete with Christians?  Wouldn't people know from the start, or eventually find out on their own that Christianity is BS and atheism isn't?

Christianity started with one man 2,000 years ago, and it grew to the point that today's world population is mostly Christian, and even more are theists of other religions.

Atheism started with one man around 6,000 years ago, and it grew to...well, atheists have always been the minority and will always be the minority.  I guess that's why you see a need to pass out pamphlets.   ::)

before making new posts why don't you try reading the existing posts

then maybe (hopefully?) you won't attribute false claims to me (or anyone)

If you want to just keep repeating the nonsense then go right ahead

and unlike you I don't think either atheists or any religious group should be pushing their beliefs in a public school

other than that

have at it