Author Topic: Grip strength  (Read 1732 times)

wild willie

• Getbig V
Grip strength
« on: March 05, 2009, 09:23:53 AM »
I have used wrist straps for back training for years. I also use them for shrugs. I want to start focusing on grip strength and have heard that just holding barbells and dumbbells for time, would be a great, basic way to train your grip.

I am looking for input here! What do you guys think?

The Wall

• Getbig II
Re: Grip strength
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 12:21:13 PM »
never limit your back or traps because of hand strength...that being said go out buy a captain of crush #1 and #2 train your hands but ive never believed that using straps hurts grip strength...in fact alot of times most people overtrain their hands and miss out on lifts due to a failed grip

just my opinion see what others say

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 01:48:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 11:09:41 PM »
Wrist curls, barbell holds for time, and dont use straps until absolutely necessary. Your grip will improve. Straps have their place but you can do more without them than you think. There are times when I just dont want to think about my grip, so I use straps and the next week my grip is better from the "rest."

I dont know that crushers do that much but thats just my opinion. You should talk to thewickedtruth, he's a grip monster.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 03:48:57 AM »
I agree with Lift.

Crushers will mostly help the "crushing" grip, and not do much for the supporting grip.

What you can do is load up one end of a barbell with enough weights then try to lift the fat end of that barbell up.

That's the poor man's version of the Rolling thunder, and works pretty good if you're in a gym that doesn't have a fat bar or a Rolling Thunder.
As empty as paradise

The Wall

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 07:22:35 AM »
basically...barbell curls with 135 solve everything and after you finish your curls....guess what?! your going to curl some more!!!!! ;D