Author Topic: question on board presses  (Read 1983 times)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
question on board presses
« on: July 21, 2006, 07:39:25 AM »
I'm kind of in a bind right now---I don't have a 3rd person to hold the boards right now to do board presses.  So my choices are either do the presses in a rack with someone holding the boards or to have someone for a liftoff and spot without a board holder.  I've got one hell of a time balancing a board on my chest without someone to hold it.  One thing we do have at my gym are thick foam pads I can put on my chest--they seem to balance much, much better than boards do.   I've got a 1, 2, and 3 board thick pad to work with, however the pads are dense, but they still compress a bit more than boards would. 

What do you guys think?  Is using the foam pads worth it, or should i try to find a 3rd person for the board presses?

JK

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
Re: question on board presses
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 10:57:32 AM »
If your using "store bought" boards get a third person to help.  At my gym we made our own boards out of 2x6's. We glued 3 - 2x6's together. One of the boards is 18"long and the other two are 10". If my buddies are not there to help I put the long handle end of the 18" board under my weight belt. That allows me to board press if I don't have a third person to hold the board. Hope that gives you some ideas on how to overcome and adapt.
sept 10th APF

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 10:59:05 AM »
If your using "store bought" boards get a third person to help.  At my gym we made our own boards out of 2x6's. We glued 3 - 2x6's together. One of the boards is 18"long and the other two are 10". If my buddies are not there to help I put the long handle end of the 18" board under my weight belt. That allows me to board press if I don't have a third person to hold the board. Hope that gives you some ideas on how to overcome and adapt.

Yes, we are using store bought boards---of about the same design that you describe.

It hadn't occured to me to put the board under my belt---- or I'm thinknig using an old knee wrap to just tie to to my waist over the belt might work too.    I need to think on this one. 

Thanks,

JK

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 01:53:50 PM »
It seems that with most "store bought" boards the handle is in the middle board. Just wear the belt loose and stuff the handle. If the belt is tight then it will act like a spring with the board. Try it, you'll see what I mean. Train hard.
sept 10th APF

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 02:40:20 PM »
get two of those screws with the circle things on the end.  Screw them into both sides of your boards and then attach a short bungie cord to them and wrap it around your back.