Author Topic: Parental Discipline or Child Abuse?  (Read 17481 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Parental Discipline or Child Abuse?
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2011, 01:43:20 PM »
There you go psycho.

Nice.  Thank you.   :)   

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2011, 01:47:28 PM »
what kind of person even questions if that is abuse or not

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2011, 01:56:07 PM »
what kind of person even questions if that is abuse or not
Beach Bum and he apparently thinks that's just garden variety punishment and he knows lots of parents who do the same :-\   

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2011, 07:39:07 AM »
::)  I don't know.  If you know anything about corporal punishment in the South and in various cultures (which you apparently do not), what that video shows is a kid getting a garden variety "beating."  I know lots of parents who whipped their kids that way, especially in the South.  It's not the way I discipline my kids, but I'm not about to say it's abuse, especially after learning about the background facts.  

And yes, her motivation is relevant.  The fact she set this recording up, held it for six years, chose to live with him after the divorce, and only disclosed it after he cut her off and took away her Mercedes shows she probably didn't think she was being abused.      

Get help.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2011, 07:44:58 AM »
At least throw some red or blue in there.  lol . . .   

Kinda like how some of your child beatings turn out. Actually a BB disciplinary session isn't totally complete without some purple and black as well. Until then it's only a run of the mill spanking.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2011, 10:52:42 AM »

Kinda like how some of your child beatings turn out. Actually a BB disciplinary session isn't totally complete without some purple and black as well. Until then it's only a run of the mill spanking.

It is good for my wonderful country that 911 Troofers like you do not breed.   :)

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2011, 12:04:58 PM »
It is good for my wonderful country that 911 Troofers like you do not breed.   :)

Hopefully your kids will break the cycle of abuse.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2011, 12:33:33 PM »
  Hopefully you're kids will break the cycle of abuse.

Hopefully, you will continue to remain childless so you don't further pollute the gene pool. 

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2011, 01:03:55 PM »
Its really not THAT bad..it only appears bad because shes a girl..if this were a teenage boy it would look less damning..growing up, I have seen my friends get worse than that

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2011, 10:38:38 AM »
Didn't realize some countries actually outlaw corporal punishment.  That's crazy.  

When does spanking become abuse?
By Sheree L. Toth, Special to CNN
updated 4:40 PM EST, Fri November 11, 2011

Editor's note: Sheree L. Toth is executive director of the Mt. Hope Family Center and an associate professor of clinical and social sciences in psychology at the University of Rochester.

Rochester, New York (CNN) -- As the director of a leading research center on child abuse, I have seen all too often that what a parent considers legitimate discipline can quickly deteriorate into violence fueled by anger.

Parents often say that they spank their children to teach them how to behave. The word discipline means "to teach," but does spanking really teach children to behave, or does it teach them to solve problems with violence?

At our center, we see many parents who spank their children to teach them not to hit their siblings. Spanking impressionable children may reduce undesirable behavior in the short term. In the long term, however, research shows that it offers children a poor example of how to solve problems or deal with difficult situations.

The posting of the video of a Texas judge beating his 16-year-old daughter with a belt, and the controversy surrounding deaths purportedly associated with the pro-spanking book "To Train Up a Child," have reignited the debate about corporal punishment. Even those viewing the disturbing video differ on whether or not it reflects the appropriate use of discipline. When does spanking cross the line and become physical abuse?

Although corporal punishment has been widely accepted throughout the history of the United States, psychologists and other professionals here are increasingly concerned about the harm it may cause. Many other countries have outlawed the practice, including Austria, Germany, Greece, Kenya, Norway, Romania and Spain. Despite growing evidence against and opposition to corporal punishment in the United States, the practice remains accepted by nearly half of adults and is legal in all states.

Among scientists, there is a consensus that actual physical abuse damages children, directly and over the course of a life. Although not all children who have been abused are affected the same way, decades of research show that child abuse initiates a cascade of negative social, emotional and health-related outcomes.

"Corporal punishment is of limited effectiveness and has potentially deleterious side effects," the American Academy of Pediatrics has said in a policy statement. A 2002 analysis of studies, published in the Psychological Bulletin, concluded that although corporal punishment can make a child obey in the short run, it also is linked with a number of long-term problems, including mental disorders and behavioral difficulties. Spanking in childhood also has been related to criminality.

Too much corporal punishment can also damage the parent-child relationship, as the parent becomes a source of both nurturing and danger. Disconcertingly, spanking in childhood also is associated with approval of hitting a spouse and increased marital conflict.

All the evidence and warnings, however, don't always stop parents from hitting their kids. Personal experiences and emotion continue to dictate whether or not parents choose physical punishment.

The video of the judge beating his daughter is disturbing not only because of the physical violence, but also because of the emotional abuse that is clearly present. Rather than learning not to download computer files, this girl may be learning to hide her behavior from her parents, to avoid bringing them her questions and concerns. She may become more likely to resolve conflict with violence, to become involved with people who are abusive, and eventually to hit her own children.

All parents surely want to raise well-adjusted children. Discipline and structure are key components of doing so. It would be naïve to think that even the most dedicated parents do not sometimes become frustrated with defiant children. There are many ways of disciplining children that are effective and nonviolent. We need to show parents what they are, and to make alternative approaches more widely accessible if we are to avoid tragic outcomes.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Sheree L. Toth.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/11/opinion/toth-abuse/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2011, 10:47:42 AM »
Didn't realize some countries actually outlaw corporal punishment.  That's crazy.  

When does spanking become abuse?
By Sheree L. Toth, Special to CNN
updated 4:40 PM EST, Fri November 11, 2011

Editor's note: Sheree L. Toth is executive director of the Mt. Hope Family Center and an associate professor of clinical and social sciences in psychology at the University of Rochester.

Rochester, New York (CNN) -- As the director of a leading research center on child abuse, I have seen all too often that what a parent considers legitimate discipline can quickly deteriorate into violence fueled by anger.

Parents often say that they spank their children to teach them how to behave. The word discipline means "to teach," but does spanking really teach children to behave, or does it teach them to solve problems with violence?

At our center, we see many parents who spank their children to teach them not to hit their siblings. Spanking impressionable children may reduce undesirable behavior in the short term. In the long term, however, research shows that it offers children a poor example of how to solve problems or deal with difficult situations.

The posting of the video of a Texas judge beating his 16-year-old daughter with a belt, and the controversy surrounding deaths purportedly associated with the pro-spanking book "To Train Up a Child," have reignited the debate about corporal punishment. Even those viewing the disturbing video differ on whether or not it reflects the appropriate use of discipline. When does spanking cross the line and become physical abuse?

Although corporal punishment has been widely accepted throughout the history of the United States, psychologists and other professionals here are increasingly concerned about the harm it may cause. Many other countries have outlawed the practice, including Austria, Germany, Greece, Kenya, Norway, Romania and Spain. Despite growing evidence against and opposition to corporal punishment in the United States, the practice remains accepted by nearly half of adults and is legal in all states.

Among scientists, there is a consensus that actual physical abuse damages children, directly and over the course of a life. Although not all children who have been abused are affected the same way, decades of research show that child abuse initiates a cascade of negative social, emotional and health-related outcomes.

"Corporal punishment is of limited effectiveness and has potentially deleterious side effects," the American Academy of Pediatrics has said in a policy statement. A 2002 analysis of studies, published in the Psychological Bulletin, concluded that although corporal punishment can make a child obey in the short run, it also is linked with a number of long-term problems, including mental disorders and behavioral difficulties. Spanking in childhood also has been related to criminality.

Too much corporal punishment can also damage the parent-child relationship, as the parent becomes a source of both nurturing and danger. Disconcertingly, spanking in childhood also is associated with approval of hitting a spouse and increased marital conflict.

All the evidence and warnings, however, don't always stop parents from hitting their kids. Personal experiences and emotion continue to dictate whether or not parents choose physical punishment.

The video of the judge beating his daughter is disturbing not only because of the physical violence, but also because of the emotional abuse that is clearly present. Rather than learning not to download computer files, this girl may be learning to hide her behavior from her parents, to avoid bringing them her questions and concerns. She may become more likely to resolve conflict with violence, to become involved with people who are abusive, and eventually to hit her own children.

All parents surely want to raise well-adjusted children. Discipline and structure are key components of doing so. It would be naïve to think that even the most dedicated parents do not sometimes become frustrated with defiant children. There are many ways of disciplining children that are effective and nonviolent. We need to show parents what they are, and to make alternative approaches more widely accessible if we are to avoid tragic outcomes.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Sheree L. Toth.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/11/opinion/toth-abuse/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

why is that "crazy"?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2011, 10:11:10 AM »
 :-\

Ohio Third-Grader Weighing 200 Pounds Placed in Foster Care
Published November 28, 2011
NewsCore

An eight-year-old Ohio boy who weighs more than 200 pounds was taken from his family last month and placed in foster care after social workers said his mother was not doing enough to control his weight, The Plain Dealer reported.

The third grader is considered severely obese by the standards of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, putting him at risk of developing diseases like diabetes and hypertension.

The boy was taken out of his home on Oct. 19, according to The Plain Dealer. He is currently in foster care, and his mother can see him once a week for two hours.

The case will be heard in court next month, The Plain Dealer reported.

Cuyahoga County officials who were monitoring the child's health said the child's weight was caused by his environment and his mother was ignoring doctor's orders on food and exercise, the newspaper reported.

"This child's problem was so severe that we had to take custody," said Mary Louise Madigan, a spokeswoman for the Department of Children and Family Services.

The Ohio Health Department estimates more than 12 percent of third-graders statewide are severely obese. The removal of the Cleveland child might be the first in the state for a strictly weight-related issue.

The Plain Dealer did not identify the boy or his mother, but she told the newspaper she was devastated after her son was taken last month.

"They are trying to make it seem like I am unfit, like I don't love my child."

She also said she was trying to help him lose weight. "Of course I love him. Of course I want him to lose weight. It's a lifestyle change, and they are trying to make it seem like I am not embracing that. It is very hard, but I am trying."

Lawyers for his mother—a substitute elementary school teacher—believe the county overreached its mandate by arguing the boy's health is in imminent danger. The child does not yet suffer from obesity-related diseases, the newspaper said.

Lawyers also question the emotional impact the child suffered after being yanked from his family, school and friends.

Children are ordinarily removed from their homes for physical abuse, neglect or undernourishment, The Plain Dealer said.

Click here to read more from this story from The Plain Dealer.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/11/28/ohio-third-grader-weighing-200-pounds-placed-in-foster-care/?test=latestnews

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2012, 01:24:13 PM »
Korie Kellogg, ex-wife of NBA's Michael Curry, jailed for beating child with belt
By Clutch Magazine
9:22 AM on 04/10/2012
by Britni Danielle

From Clutch magazine: Spanking is a divisive issue among many parents. While some parents swear by the "spare the rod, spoil the child" philosophy, others find the practice to be an ineffective and abusive form of discipline. But what happens when parents cross the line? And where is the line in the first place?

Recently, Korie Kellogg, ex-wife of NBA baller Michael Curry, was arrested and charged with aggravated battery after her son told his teachers that his mom had "whooped" him when school officials questioned him about marks on his body. The child was taken to the hospital and examined, and according to reports, had bruises and welts on his face and back.

Kellogg told prosecutors her son's story was not accurate, but wasn't given a chance to explain.

Kellogg and Curry were married on Valentine's Day in 2001, but divorced the same year. Kellogg is the mother of Curry's first child.

Kellogg was was released on $25,000 bail while officials continue to investigate, and if convicted, she could face a five year prison sentence. Another hearing is scheduled later this month.

Click here to read more stories from Clutch magazine.

http://www.thegrio.com/news/korie-kellogg-ex-wife-of-nbas-michael-curry-jailed-for-spanking-child-with-belt.php

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2012, 04:28:42 PM »
Pennsylvania father abandons 16-year-old daughter over bad math grade
Published May 31, 2012
FoxNews.com

A Pennsylvania father pleaded guilty to child endangerment for abandoning his teenage daughter at a mall over a bad grade she received at school.       

Tuan Huynh, 47, of Montgomery County, dropped his 16-year-old daughter off near Cheltenham Square Mall and told her she could not come home, Fox affiliate WTXF-TV reported. He told the teenager she no longer met her parents' expectations because she had received a bad grade on a calculus test, according to the station.

Assistant District Attorney Cara McMenamin told the station that the girl wandered around the Cheltenham Mall for hours before a minister finally approached her and called for help.

Huynh pleaded guilty to endangering the welfare of a child. He is not allowed to return home until he has completed parenting classes, the station reported.

Huynh could have faced up to five years in jail, but instead he will do two years of probation and 100 hours of community service.
McMenamin claims Huynh had no remorse for what he did and said he can do with his child what he sees fit.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/31/pennsylvania-father-abandons-16-year-old-daughter-over-bad-grade-at-school/?intcmp=obinsite

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2013, 06:25:40 PM »
Pretty creative.  Is this abuse?

10-year-old girl forced to wear thrift store clothing as punishment for being a bully
Published May 22, 2013
FoxNews.com

A Utah woman forced her fiance's 10-year-old daughter to wear an unflattering wardrobe to school after a teacher said the girl was bullying another classmate over the way she dresses.

A teacher at the Viewmont Elementary school in Murray last week emailed Mark, the father of Kaylee, and his fianceé Ally, explaining that she was harassing another student for three weeks, Fox13 reports. The last names of the family were not revealed to protect their privacy.

“She would take her out on the playground and call her names, and tell her she was a slob and tell her she dressed like a sleaze,” Ally told the station.

As punishment, Ally went to a local thrift shop and purchased around $50 worth of clothing that she thought her daughter wouldn’t want to wear. Kaylee said she cried when she first saw the clothes, Fox13 reports.

Kaylee added that students talked behind her back about the clothes when she wore them to school last week. Her teacher was notified beforehand and the punishment lasted two days.

“We did it because we wanted our daughter to learn something very valuable that touched home and touched her heart,” Ally said.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/22/utah-parents-force-daughter-to-wear-unflattering-clothes-to-school-as-bullying/?intcmp=obinsite

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2013, 12:56:32 PM »
Jose Lagares, Dad, Publicly Bullies Son To Shame Him For ... Bullying
The Huffington Post  |  By Meredith Bennett-Smith Posted: 10/04/2013 3:42 pm EDT  |  Updated: 10/05/2013 12:36 pm EDT

On Tuesday, a boy accused of bullying his schoolmates was forced to stand on a street corner with a humiliating sign as punishment for his behavior, NBC affiliate KCEN-TV reports.

The fourth-grader's father, Jose Lagares, made his son hold a large homemade sign that read: "I am a bully. Honk if you hate bullies."

"Bullying is also a form of public humiliation," Lagares, of Killeen, Texas, told the station. "Maybe he understands that when he humiliates someone publicly that doesn't feel good. Hopefully he'll take that with him so the next time he tries to bully someone he'll think about it twice."

Lagares is following in the footsteps of a long line of parents who have publicly shamed their children for transgressions ranging from sneaking out of the house to twerking.

Responses to Lagares' actions were mixed on KCENTV's Facebook page, with some applauding the father's actions, and others wondering if perhaps is wasn't the most effective approach. Indeed, in the past, several experts have voiced concerns about the issue.

In an April 2012 column on public shaming, The Huffington Post's Lisa Belkin spoke with Alfie Kohn, author of Unconditional Parenting: Moving From Rewards and Punishments to Love and Reason, about the tactic.

"It's not just that humiliating people, of any age, is a nasty and disrespectful way of treating them," Kohn said at the time. "It's that humiliation, like other forms of punishment, is counterproductive."

For his part, Lagares has so far stuck to his guns. In fact, the Texas dad returned to the corner on Wednesday to defend his decision, this time holding up his own bright orange sign that said, "I'm not sorry. Honk to stop bullying."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/04/jose-lagares-bully-publicly-shames-on_n_4045040.html

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2013, 01:26:42 PM »
I think going to this extreme shows a failure in parenting more than anything else. 

that being said, there should be better ways to communicate why not to bully to a 9 year old kid.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2013, 01:32:15 PM »
I think going to this extreme shows a failure in parenting more than anything else. 

that being said, there should be better ways to communicate why not to bully to a 9 year old kid.

Yeah.  I agree.  There arguably might be times when public humiliation might be a useful tool (although it's not something I ever used), but not with a 9 year old kid. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2013, 07:00:30 PM »
California court rules spanking with wooden spoon not abuse
Published October 09, 2013 / Associated Press

SAN JOSE, Calif. –  A state appeals court on Tuesday tossed out child abuse findings against a frustrated Northern California mother who spanked her 12-year-old daughter hard enough with a wooden spoon to cause bruising.

The 6th District Court of Appeal in San Jose reversed the child abuse determination made by the Santa Clara County Department of Social Services. Social workers waned to report Vernica Gonzalez to the state Department of Justice's child abuse database with a "substantiated" abuse determination. That determination was upheld by a trial court judge.

The appeals court said the spanking came close to abuse, but that social workers and the lower court judge failed to consider the family's entire circumstances.

Gonzalez and her husband testified that other forms of punishment such as groundings and taking away her phone had failed to persuade their 12-year-old daughter to do her schoolwork and avoid gang culture. The parents said that other family members had testified that spankings in the household were a rarity.

The appeals court said the mother's growing frustration with her daughter's behavior and her intention not to inflict harm in the April 2010 spanking weighed heavily in its ruling.

"Nothing in the record suggests the mother should have known she was inflicting bruises," Justice Conrad Rushing wrote for the unanimous three-judge panel. Rushing continued that "the spanking was entirely the product of a genuine and deliberate disciplinary purpose, i.e., to arrest troubling behavior patterns exhibited by the daughter."

The court ordered the child abuse report to be withdrawn or Gonzalez given another hearing in which the San Jose family's entire circumstances are considered and the spanking put into context with the parents' growing frustration with a recalcitrant daughter.

"We cannot say that the use of a wooden spoon to administer a spanking necessarily exceeds the bounds of reasonable parental discipline," Rushing concluded.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/09/california-court-rules-spanking-with-wooden-spoon-not-abuse/?intcmp=latestnews

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2013, 09:18:31 AM »
That poor kid is going to be a punk when he grows up.   :-\

NY dad deemed unfit for not taking son to McDonald's
Published November 08, 2013
New York Post

A Manhattan dad is not lovin’ McDonald’s right now.

Attorney David Schorr slapped a court-appointed shrink with a defamation lawsuit for telling the judge deciding a custody battle with his estranged wife that he was an unfit parent — for refusing to take his son to the fast food joint for dinner.

“You’d think it was sexual molestation,” Schorr, 43, told The Post Thursday. “I am just floored by it.”

Schorr says in his Manhattan Supreme Court suit that E. 97th Street psychiatrist Marilyn Schiller filed a report saying he was “wholly incapable of taking care of his son” and should be denied his weekend visitation over the greasy burger ban.

Schorr, a corporate attorney turned consultant with degrees from NYU and Oxford University, had planned to take his 4-year-old son to their usual restaurant, the Corner Café on Third Avenue, for his weekly Tuesday night visitation last week.

But the boy threw a temper tantrum and demanded McDonald’s. So he gave his son an ultimatum: dinner anywhere other than McDonald’s — or no dinner.

“The child, stubborn as a mule, chose the ‘no dinner’ option,” the disgruntled dad says in the suit.

“It was just a standoff. I’m kicking myself mightily,” Schorr said.

“I wish I had taken him to McDonalds, but you get nervous about rewarding bad behavior. I was concerned. I think it was a 1950s equivalent of sending your child to bed without dinner. That’s maybe the worst thing you can say about it,” he said.

Adding insult to injury, he said: “My wife immediately took him to McDonalds.”

Click here for more from the New York Post.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/08/ny-dad-deemed-unfit-for-not-taking-son-to-mcdonald/

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2013, 11:17:31 AM »
::)   

And yes, her motivation is relevant.  The fact she set this recording up, held it for six years, chose to live with him after the divorce, and only disclosed it after he cut her off and took away her Mercedes shows she probably didn't think she was being abused.      

You could be right.  She might not consider it abuse, especially if she'd grown used to such treatment.  That absolutely has nothing to do with whether the judge was guilty of abuse or not, though. 

Were the judge to suffer legal consequences for his actions, however, I'd have no problem with the girl's perception being a factor when deciding his punishment.  It just shouldn't be a factor when deciding whether his conduct was or was not legal. 
("She's reeeel tough, that one, smack 'er agin!, She don't mind."  Ugh! )

Actually, that she might not consider the treatment we see in the video abuse suggests a good reason for society to outlaw such treatment -- It could turn her into a hardass mofo who thinks it's OK to inflict physical pain on others against their will when she's pissed.  Can't be having a world full of bitches who thinks it's ok to kick a puppy or whatever.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2013, 02:39:06 PM »
You could be right.  She might not consider it abuse, especially if she'd grown used to such treatment.  That absolutely has nothing to do with whether the judge was guilty of abuse or not, though. 

Were the judge to suffer legal consequences for his actions, however, I'd have no problem with the girl's perception being a factor when deciding his punishment.  It just shouldn't be a factor when deciding whether his conduct was or was not legal. 
("She's reeeel tough, that one, smack 'er agin!, She don't mind."  Ugh! )

Actually, that she might not consider the treatment we see in the video abuse suggests a good reason for society to outlaw such treatment -- It could turn her into a hardass mofo who thinks it's OK to inflict physical pain on others against their will when she's pissed.  Can't be having a world full of bitches who thinks it's ok to kick a puppy or whatever.

Meh.  That whole thing didn't pass the smell test. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2013, 04:15:46 AM »
Meh.  That whole thing didn't pass the smell test. 

I think that's because there's a strong possibility that all involved (the dad, the daughter, and the mom) are all pieces of shit. 

Not too different than lots of crimes, really;  POS's doing wrong to other POS's.  They all deserve protection under the law, though. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2013, 11:56:58 AM »
I think that's because there's a strong possibility that all involved (the dad, the daughter, and the mom) are all pieces of shit. 

Not too different than lots of crimes, really;  POS's doing wrong to other POS's.  They all deserve protection under the law, though. 

I wouldn't say that about the dad, at least from what I read.  He set standards for his kids, enforced them, provided adult welfare, and only stopped it when his adult kid quit going to school.  She disclosed the video after he cut her off and took away her car.   

The real issue is whether the government should be regulating this kind of parental discipline. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2013, 02:24:47 PM »
I wouldn't say that about the dad, at least from what I read.  He set standards for his kids, enforced them, provided adult welfare, and only stopped it when his adult kid quit going to school.  She disclosed the video after he cut her off and took away her car.   

The real issue is whether the government should be regulating this kind of parental discipline. 

WTF?  You wouldn't say the dad's a piece of shit? I think the majority of people in this day and age would disagree with you on that point after watching the video. 

It's not just that he's spanking his daughter.  It's that he's doing it in anger (pretty sure I heard him say, "Bend over or I'll hit you in the fucking face") to a girl who is 16 years old.  What the hell kind of person is he trying to raise? 

If anyone deserves a beating, it's the father.  He is definitely a POS.