Author Topic: Police on murder charges for bridge shootings  (Read 1063 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Police on murder charges for bridge shootings
« on: December 28, 2006, 11:43:40 PM »
Four police officers were Thursday charged with murder in the shooting deaths of two men on a New Orleans bridge shortly after Hurricane Katrina plunged the city into chaos. "We cannot allow our police officers to shoot and kill our citizens without justification like rabid dogs," Orleans Parish District Attorney Eddie J. Jordan said. The victims were Ronald Madison, 40, a mentally ill man who had no criminal record, and teenager James Brissette.

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
Re: Police on murder charges for bridge shootings
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 11:50:47 PM »
Wheres the link ??? Did they try to cross and were told not to? Did they steal essentials, like plasmas? We need the circumstances 240 :)
E

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 02:09:38 AM »
240 - Were the shooters in this case actually New Orleans PD or were they the Louisiana State Police?

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 07:48:31 AM »
To change the subject a bit.  A friend who lives in NOLA called over the holidays told me that Asians have just about taken over the city.  They have bought allot of the condemned houses and with about 20 relatives rebuild it, buy another and do the same to the point where what was once a black majority is now being taken over by Asians.  They saw an opportunity and took it.  Sorry Rob, it's all your's again.

The NOLA cops are known as the most corrupt in the country, so nothing that happened during Katrina surprises me.  On a force of over 600, about 1/3 just left their posts and went home.  Real die hard cops.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 08:43:26 AM »
A friend who lives in NOLA called over the holidays told me that Asians have just about taken over the city.

They don't reproduce quite as quickly as the Hispanics, but they are rapidly growing in number all over North America...well, in Canada and the U.S., that is. 

On a force of over 600, about 1/3 just left their posts and went home.  Real die hard cops.

The world had just ended, there was nothing else for them to do.

Faced with a choice of trying to help preserve 'order' in that god-forsaken city and moving your own family to safety, what would you have done?

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 10:04:01 AM »
I think 240 needs a time out for posting this thread with no links, facts and not coming back to talk about it ;D
E

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 10:06:20 AM »

The world had just ended, there was nothing else for them to do.

Faced with a choice of trying to help preserve 'order' in that god-forsaken city and moving your own family to safety, what would you have done?

If I was a cop, I would of stayed where I was told to.  Your duty is to protect the people, not save yourself and your own, but the city.  They punked out, IMO and should be held responsible for neglect of duty, among other things.  It was not the end of the world but a time where law enforcement was needed and failed badly.  A good cop doesn't run when things get tough.  That's the time when we needed them most.  It was the worse time ever and that's when cop's are needed or all Hell would of broken loose, which thanks to the guard and state police, wasn't as bad as it could of been.  It used to be my favorite place to go.  Anything goes and it was a full blown party from 10-4 everyday.  I plan on going back soon, but don't know what to expect.  It had the best music, food and just a good feeling place to be.   The NFL playoffs should tell us allot about how the city's healed.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 11:34:31 AM »

You're right and your position is indeed a noble one, but based solely on what we saw on the television, it would've been very difficult not to abandon my post to go make certain my family was transported to safety.  That's not to say I wouldn't have returned, but I would not expect my daughter's mom to know what to do in the event of a massive emergency like that.

If, however, I'd been able to evacuate them prior to the storm's arrival, then I never would've left my post. 

But, we can't expect that every police officer has as much common sense as we do here on this forum.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 01:27:18 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/12/28/katrina.cops/index.html

New Orleans police indicted in bridge shootings

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- A deadly gunfight on a bridge in the anarchy-filled days following Hurricane Katrina became a symbol of the city's loss of control.

Now, more than a year later, seven police officers face charges in the shootings.

A grand jury indicted the officers on murder or attempted murder charges Thursday in the September 4, 2005, deaths of two men and wounding of four other people on the Danziger Bridge.

One of the victims was a mentally retarded man, Ronald Madison, who had been shot seven times -- five times in the back, according to the coroner. (Watch as Madison's brother talks about the night of the shooting )

"We cannot allow our police officers to shoot and kill our citizens without justification like rabid dogs," District Attorney Eddie Jordan said.

Police tell a different story, and defense attorneys say their clients are innocent. Police Superintendent Warren Riley called Jordan's comment was "highly prejudicial and highly undignified."

"They heard only one side of the story," attorney Franz Zibilich, who represents one of the officers, said of the grand jury.

According to police, the officers went to the bridge that day believing they were answering a call of two fellow officers down. One officer fired at Madison only after Madison turned toward them and reached into his waistband, they say.

As with many events in the days after Katrina struck, reports of what happened at the Danziger Bridge vary widely. At the time, the sweltering city was still littered with corpses as rescuers tried to evacuate stranded residents and looters ransacked stores. The storm had hit just six days earlier.

Police initially said the shootings occurred after shots were fired at Army Corps of Engineers workers.

According to a police report, several officers responded to a radio call that two fellow officers had been hurt. When they arrived, they saw seven people running, and four people began firing at police, the report said. The officers returned fire, killing Madison, 40, and James Brissette, 19.

Madison's brother, Lance, has said they were crossing the bridge on their way to another brother's dental office when a group of teens ran up behind them and began shooting. As the brothers fled, Lance Madison said, seven men jumped out of a rental truck and also began firing at them. He denies his brother was armed. (Full story)

Police Sgts. Kenneth Bowen and Robert Gisevius and officers Robert Faulcon and Anthony Villavaso were charged with first-degree murder. Officers Robert Barrios, Mike Hunter and Ignatius Hills were charged with attempted murder.

State District Judge Raymond Bigelow originally set a 24-hour deadline for the officers to surrender, but on Friday, he agreed to extend the deadline until Tuesday morning, said Frank DeSalvo, attorney for one of the defendants.

Gisevius' attorney, Eric Hessler, said Friday morning that some of the officers weren't in town. He wouldn't say which officers were away or how many of them.

A spokesman for Mayor Ray Nagin declined comment.

The indictments further scars the reputation of the city's police department. More than 200 officers on the 1,500-member force were disciplined after the hurricane for various offenses, including failure to show up for work, and some were accused of joining in the looting.

List of charges

The officers and the charges they face:

Sgt. Kenneth Bowen: one count of first-degree murder of Brissette and seven counts of attempted first-degree murder of Leonard Bartholomew, Susan Bartholomew, Lesha Bartholomew, Jose Holmes Jr., Lance Madison and Ronald Madison.

Sgt. Robert Gisevius: one count of first-degree murder of Brissette and two counts of attempted first-degree murder of the Madisons.

Officer Anthony Villavaso: one count of first-degree murder of Brissette and four counts of attempted first-degree murder of the Bartholomews and Holmes.

Officer Robert Faulcon: two counts of first-degree murder of Brissette and Ronald Madison and attempted first-degree murder of the Bartholomews and Holmes.

Officer Robert Barrios: four counts of attempted first-degree murder of the Bartholomews and Holmes.

Officer Michael Hunter: two counts of attempted first-degree murder of the Madisons.

Officer Ignatius Hills: one count of attempted second-degree murder of Leonard Bartholomew IV.