Author Topic: What is the purpose of Man on this planet?  (Read 5362 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
What is the purpose of Man on this planet?
« on: August 24, 2007, 07:53:34 AM »
originally on the Pet Board, but was suggested that it would make a good topic elsewhere.

Tell me, what has man done for the Earth?  Has man contributed anything? What is man's purpose?  I see no purpose for man.  Man destroys and wastes everything he comes in contact with.  Man is at the top of the food chain, but even that is not needed on Earth.  Animals like sharks and lions that are at the top in the animal food chain have a purpose, they eat the old and sick and cull numbers of animals keeping a balance so everything may go on. Man has to breed animals to survive so we don't even have the purpose of keeping a balance in nature.  Man has caused extinction of many animals either by over hunting, destroying habitats, or by introducing non native species that then kill off the native species.  How much scrambling has man done to try and fix it's mistakes?  Man wages war on each other over anything.  You don't see animals going to war on each other to the point that they have destroyed their homelands and are barely surviving.

Seems like man has done a lot with it's ability for higher thinking.    ::)

Man is expendable on this planet, animals are not, I think that puts one higher than the other.   :) 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Re: What is the purpose of Man on this planet?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 07:55:20 AM »
Flower this series of questions and comments are worthy of their own thread I just don't with forum they should go on but you have made some thought provoking points worthy of discussion. Especially the "I see no purpose for man" comment, I feel your passion but I really would like to know exactly what you mean here and what does this say about what you think about yourself! But I think this should be discussed on or in another board and thread. What do you think shall we go for it?

I thought about putting that on the General Board but wanted it to be read in this thread.  I will copy it and start a thread on the General Board.  It would be interesting to read other peoples comments.

In my "I see no purpose in man" comment I mean that man shouldn't really hold itself that much higher than other animals on this planet.  If you look at having a purpose on this planet, man has none.  We have abused our higher status IMO. We have done nothing to deserver a higher status except to be made with higher brain and thinking capabilities which don't seem to have been put to good use in a lot of cases. 

Man may have had a purpose way back when, the Indians are a good example of man LIVING with the world and all it's inhabitants, and not just LIVING OFF the world.  Man is a parasite basically. 

When I read about the horrors man inflicts upon man, along with cruelty to other creatures, part of me is disgusted to be called a human.  I don't fear animals in this world, I fear the people in this world.  And when I think that I could have a crime committed against me by a person, against the thought of having an animal attack me, which one is more horrible from a humanity point?  The one done by the thinking, feeling, higher creature, or the lower animal? 

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
  • What is the most common form of stupidity?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 08:32:40 AM »

I thought about putting that on the General Board but wanted it to be read in this thread.  I will copy it and start a thread on the General Board.  It would be interesting to read other peoples comments.

In my "I see no purpose in man" comment I mean that man shouldn't really hold itself that much higher than other animals on this planet.  If you look at having a purpose on this planet, man has none.  We have abused our higher status IMO. We have done nothing to deserver a higher status except to be made with higher brain and thinking capabilities which don't seem to have been put to good use in a lot of cases. 

Man may have had a purpose way back when, the Indians are a good example of man LIVING with the world and all it's inhabitants, and not just LIVING OFF the world.  Man is a parasite basically. 

When I read about the horrors man inflicts upon man, along with cruelty to other creatures, part of me is disgusted to be called a human.  I don't fear animals in this world, I fear the people in this world.  And when I think that I could have a crime committed against me by a person, against the thought of having an animal attack me, which one is more horrible from a humanity point?  The one done by the thinking, feeling, higher creature, or the lower animal? 

Ok Flower you are on, I need to do my research and I will be back guns uh blazing!
W

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 08:39:28 AM »
Ok Flower you are on, I need to do my research and I will be back guns uh blazing!

;D      I think man needs a serious reality check.  I recall seeing a few Sci-Fi movies or episodes of the Twilight Zone or something, where aliens come to Earth and basically tell us what assholes humans are! Look at what you could of done, and look at what you are doing.  I think in at least one I saw they are here to blow us up so we don't go spreading our plague anywhere else.
  8)

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 09:29:13 AM »

;D      I think man needs a serious reality check.  I recall seeing a few Sci-Fi movies or episodes of the Twilight Zone or something, where aliens come to Earth and basically tell us what assholes humans are! Look at what you could of done, and look at what you are doing.  I think in at least one I saw they are here to blow us up so we don't go spreading our plague anywhere else.
  8)

I saw one that I think was what you are referring to it was called "To Serve man" ("How to serve man", as in how to prepare him as a main course) lol They tricked the earthlings into thinking they were here to make our lives better then started sweeping the ones who really bought into their gimmick, only later to find out that they were being fattened up for the next Alien luau lol! Sounds historically familiar doesn't it. (Cowboys and Indians (Oops Native Americans))
W

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 10:07:54 AM »

Biblically speaking Man Kind was given the responsibility to have dominion over all things (animals included) that dwell on earth but the problem is that man has perverted his dominion and has not been a good steward with what he has been charged to oversee.

"And when I think that I could have a crime committed against me by a person, against the thought of having an animal attack me, which one is more horrible from a humanity point?" this depends on the crime and what kind of animal. I have a video (I don't know how to get it to you) but this guy is with his family on what appears to be an African Safari tour. He decides to get out of his car to get a better camera shot of some lions laying in the grass (The guy IMO was already 15 ft away but he just had to get closer) anyway he gets in position and BAM outta nowhere this lion jumps on his back and the 3 or 4 other lions decide its time to have a luau and this guy (infront of his screaming wife and kids) becomes lunch for the blood thristy pride. All this to say I would rather some guy approach me on the street with a knife or even a handgun; where I might take a chance on him being a terrible shot or even maybe just wanting to intimidate me into giving up the goods, than to have a hungry pride of Lions eating my asshole out while I am still alive witnessing the same. You really need to see the video the guy even tries to get up just before he is beheaded and disembowed. I really can't discern wheter one or the other is humane or inhumane, I just think its life. Moral of this story keep ya ass in the car when Lions are about or run if a guy comes at you with a weapon.
W

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 10:29:55 AM »
"What is the purpose of Man on this planet?"

To glorify God. 

How's mankind doing?  Some are doing OK and some aren't :-\

As far as this question goes, it depends on the criminal.  Is he a freaky serial killer that would keep me in a hole in the basement and tell me to rub the lotion on my skin?  If so, I'd rather be mauled and killed by a pack of lions.
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 10:30:50 AM »
Biblically speaking Man Kind was given the responsibility to have dominion over all things (animals included) that dwell on earth but the problem is that man has perverted his dominion and has not been a good steward with what he has been charged to oversee.

I would prefer to have an actual example of man having a purpose and doing it. So far  man = 0     ;D

this depends on the crime and what kind of animal. I have a video (I don't know how to get it to you) but this guy is with his family on what appears to be an African Safari tour.

I saw that video.    :-\    But man is supposed to be the better species, so an animal attack (which in the example you gave was the guy's fault for doing what he did and getting close to them, not saying he deserved it, but I can't blame the animal) from a lesser species is understandable, but an actual thought out act from another human being is the worse crime in the context of morals and values IMO.

So far I am not even slightly swayed.
8)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 10:36:25 AM »
"What is the purpose of Man on this planet?"

To glorify God. 

How's mankind doing?  Some are doing OK and some aren't :-\

I respect your beliefs STella, but that doesn't sway me.  I do agree that some people are trying to be a good animal  8), but as a whole I don't see the purpose of man or anything that man has contributed to this world.

As far as this question goes, it depends on the criminal.  Is he a freaky serial killer that would keep me in a hole in the basement and tell me to rub the lotion on my skin?  If so, I'd rather be mauled and killed by a pack of lions.

Again I am not meaning the actual crime, but the reasoning behind it.  Man is the supposed higher species, we can think, rationalize, have compassion and feelings.  So to me that makes a deliberate crime against another human being (or any living thing) more heinous from that viewpoint. 

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 10:43:18 AM »

Again I am not meaning the actual crime, but the reasoning behind it.  Man is the supposed higher species, we can think, rationalize, have compassion and feelings.  So to me that makes a deliberate crime against another human being (or any living thing) more heinous from that viewpoint. 

I smell ya.  (I understand what you are saying ;D )

as a whole I don't see .... anything that man has contributed to this world.

Not even Raspberry licorice and indoor plumbing? :)
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 10:48:09 AM »
Not even Raspberry licorice and indoor plumbing? :)

those are for man's needs and not for any other reason.    8)

If you took away fish, for instance, the whole food chain would eventually collapse.  We are already seeing the affects of our ocean's resources being depleted.   Take man of the planet and what affect is there?

fish > man   
          ;D

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 10:49:48 AM »
the purpose of man is the same as that of any other animal.  to have as many kids as possible, and to do his best to make sure that the kids survive to reproduce themselves. HTH.

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 10:58:28 AM »

those are for man's needs and not for any other reason.    8)

If you took away fish, for instance, the whole food chain would eventually collapse.  We are already seeing the affects of our ocean's resources being depleted.   Take man of the planet and what affect is there?

fish > man   
          ;D

I think you would rather be a dirty rotten human because, if you were a fish some man would snatch you out of the water and eat ya, you decide!
W

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 10:58:50 AM »
the purpose of man is the same as that of any other animal.  to have as many kids as possible, and to try and to do his best to make sure that the kids survive to reproduce themselves. HTH.

Not really.   Man is supposed to be "better" than other animals but if man died off tomorrow it wouldn't affect much long term except for the better. 

It appears that only our higher brain capabilities is what makes us "higher" than animals.  We evolved, but as a species are very expendable.  Fish and the ocean animals are NOT expendable, yet man is better than a fish? 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 11:03:18 AM »
I think you would rather be a dirty rotten human because, if you were a fish some man would snatch you out of the water and eat ya, you decide!

the question posed is not what would rather be, but what is more valuable to this earth.  Probably every other living thing has a purpose that it contributes to this earth, even little bugs are there to clean up wastes, decay, etc.

Man is better than animals because we can THINK we are?
  8)

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 11:05:30 AM »
  Not really.   Man is supposed to be "better" than other animals but if man died off tomorrow it wouldn't affect much long term except for the better. 

It appears that only our higher brain capabilities is what makes us "higher" than animals.  We evolved, but as a species are very expendable.  Fish and the ocean animals are NOT expendable, yet man is better than a fish? 

you think we're supposed to be "better" b/c we're conscious, but maybe the point of being conscious is just to help us do better at dominating and propagating.  of course, we could dominate and propagate ourselves right off the planet . . . in which case something else will come after us.  or else we will start spreading throughout the universe. 

we live eighty years if we're lucky, and our recorded memories don't go much further back than 6,000 years  . . . the cycle that produced us has taken millions of years.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 11:07:30 AM »
To answer this question....you have to define the character of man...which is greed.

Greed leads to destruction of all living things.

So the answer is quite obvious....The purpose of Man on this planet is to destroy everything in it's path including themself.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 11:10:13 AM »
the question posed is not what would rather be, but what is more valuable to this earth.  Probably every other living thing has a purpose that it contributes to this earth, even little bugs are there to clean up wastes, decay, etc.

Man is better than animals because we can THINK we are?
  8)

umm . . . what's this contribution stuff?  Over millenia, ecosystems reach equilibrium, but that never lasts.  Nobody's here to "contribute," we're all here to reproduce.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 11:39:47 AM »
you think we're supposed to be "better" b/c we're conscious, but maybe the point of being conscious is just to help us do better at dominating and propagating.  of course, we could dominate and propagate ourselves right off the planet . . . in which case something else will come after us.  or else we will start spreading throughout the universe. 

we live eighty years if we're lucky, and our recorded memories don't go much further back than 6,000 years  . . . the cycle that produced us has taken millions of years.

I don't think that we are better.  In case anyone missed this start of this topic on the Pet Board, it was stated that torturing an animal is better than torturing a person.  I disagree and say torture is torture.  And if man is supposed to be the thinking, reasoning, compassionate animal, then it should be seen as being wrong to torture or be deliberately cruel to any other living thing.  It was then brought up that man eats animals, therefore man is better.  But that sends the topic into another direction.  Which prompted my question on why is man better than animals?  What purpose does man have here?  What has man contributed?

So far it appears to be nothing that is not motivated by mans desires for itself.

I am in no way saying that animals should not be eaten, there is a few chain in life after all, nor am I saying if given a choice to save a person or an animal the animal should be chosen (depending on the person in question this could be debatable  8) ) but none of that is reason why torture or deliberate cruelty is even slightly acceptable by man as long as it is done to an animal.  I think that as a thinking higher brained creature, it should be seen as wrong, period.  To say otherwise puts man beneath the animals.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 11:44:56 AM »

I don't think that we are better.  In case anyone missed this start of this topic on the Pet Board, it was stated that torturing an animal is better than torturing a person.  I disagree and say torture is torture.  And if man is supposed to be the thinking, reasoning, compassionate animal, then it should be seen as being wrong to torture or be deliberately cruel to any other living thing.  It was then brought up that man eats animals, therefore man is better.  But that sends the topic into another direction.  Which prompted my question on why is man better than animals?  What purpose does man have here?  What has man contributed?

So far it appears to be nothing that is not motivated by mans desires for itself.

I am in no way saying that animals should not be eaten, there is a few chain in life after all, nor am I saying if given a choice to save a person or an animal the animal should be chosen (depending on the person in question this could be debatable  8) ) but none of that is reason why torture or deliberate cruelty is even slightly acceptable by man as long as it is done to an animal.  I think that as a thinking higher brained creature, it should be seen as wrong, period.  To say otherwise puts man beneath the animals.

It puts us on par w animals at worst . . .

some animals cannibalize their young, others kill and maim for sport/dominance . . . surely you've seen that.   Most humans don't engage in this kind of behavior

Even if i bought the "higher" brain train of thought, it would seem that you're trying to define all of humanity by the actions of a few.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 11:49:54 AM »
It puts us on par w animals at worst . . .

some animals cannibalize their young, others kill and maim for sport/dominance . . . surely you've seen that.   Most humans don't engage in this kind of behavior

Even if i bought the "higher" brain train of thought, it would seem that you're trying to define all of humanity by the actions of a few.

No, I was originally trying to explain why I thought torture and deliberate cruelty is wrong whether it is a person or an animal.   To say otherwise takes away what is supposed to set us apart from the animals. 

Then I got to thinking about what, if anything, man has done for this planet and it's inhabitants and it doesn't appear to be much, if anything.  And the loss of mankind would only better the planet, not worsen it.

very funny with the pink   ::)

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2007, 11:57:04 AM »
To answer this question....you have to define the character of man...which is greed.

Greed leads to destruction of all living things.

So the answer is quite obvious....The purpose of Man on this planet is to destroy everything in it's path including themself.

lol yes this is obvious that Man is guilty of raping and pillaging everything in his path but Man does have a purpose and it is to attend to the earth! He was given the ability to reason in order to carry out this task! But of course we have falling short of this responsibility.

I have a question, are animals self aware? My dog see sherself in a mirror or her reflection at the lake! She thinks its another dog and pretty much wants to play with herself, ;D especially at the lake lol! She dives in to play but immediately realizes that the dog in the reflection disappeared, she then turns and looks befuddled, its hilarious lol I love her though  ;D I wonder if my sig other was like this would she think another woman was in our bathroom when she looked in the mirror and then get mad at me for having another woman lol!
W

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 11:57:18 AM »

What about people eating themselves (hangnails, fingernails, toenails)  :o

R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2007, 11:58:21 AM »
 and scabs!
R

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2007, 12:00:01 PM »
originally on the Pet Board, but was suggested that it would make a good topic elsewhere.

Tell me, what has man done for the Earth?  Has man contributed anything? What is man's purpose?  I see no purpose for man.  Man destroys and wastes everything he comes in contact with.  Man is at the top of the food chain, but even that is not needed on Earth.  Animals like sharks and lions that are at the top in the animal food chain have a purpose, they eat the old and sick and cull numbers of animals keeping a balance so everything may go on. Man has to breed animals to survive so we don't even have the purpose of keeping a balance in nature.  Man has caused extinction of many animals either by over hunting, destroying habitats, or by introducing non native species that then kill off the native species.  How much scrambling has man done to try and fix it's mistakes?  Man wages war on each other over anything.  You don't see animals going to war on each other to the point that they have destroyed their homelands and are barely surviving.

Seems like man has done a lot with it's ability for higher thinking.    ::)

Man is expendable on this planet, animals are not, I think that puts one higher than the other.   :) 

You seem to start with the unsupported presumption that the planet's existence is a desirable end in and of itself, independent of humanity.

That's not necessarily a given.

But if it is, it could then be asserted that man's existence is also a desirable end in and of itself, rendering your whole argument moot.

Hope this helps!  :P
Ron: "I am lazy."