Author Topic: Industry News & Notes:  (Read 758563 times)

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
  • My power is discombobulatingly & devastating!
Re: News and Notes
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2009, 04:21:27 PM »
Jim Ross Blogs About Flair's WWE Return & UFC's Vaseline Scandal
By Michael Bluth
Feb 4, 2009 - 9:56:44 AM

Jim Ross has posted his latest blog entry, which you can check out at JRsBarBQ.com. Some highlights:

Ric Flair's WWE Return:: Ric Flair will be making a special appearance on Monday Night Raw this week (you weren't naive enough to think that a huge star like Naitch would show up on Friday Night Smackdown for a special guest appearance would you?) .... I am certainly going to change my travel plans to Fresno so I can be there to watch Raw on Monday night prior to taping another Smackdown doubleheader on Tuesday. Flair is still an amazing personality who can verbalize as well as any one in the business today, past or present. As a fan I would pay good, hard earned money any time to hear the Nature Boy step into the ring and listen to Flair speak on any subject with the passion and emotion that helped make Ric famous. Ric Flair, veins popping, with his face beet red and eyes bulging is still great TV and will transcend young fans and their baby booming Dads and Moms.

The issue for me is that I don't want to see Naitch wrestle again not just one year after retiring. I think Ric keeps himself more special and his retirement, which was an entertainment and emotional work of art, special and an ever lasting memory in the minds of fans worldwide. To see Ric manage someone, be a guest Ref, etc works for me personally. ... Ric Flair makes any event bigger and his star still shines brightly in my eyes but, simply as a fan, I would rather remember Ric Flair the wrestler, no pun intended, as he was and enjoy his antics and machinations in other forms at an event like Wrestlemania if that indeed is a potential destination for the incomparable "Nature Boy."

UFC's Vasaline Scandal: My GSP over B.J. Penn prediction was on the money and all seemed well in UFC land until the feared and deadly term Vaseline was uttered after the fight. Allegedly, someone in St. Pierre's corner "greased" GSP down specifically on his chest and back which could obviously impact a fight. From what I have seen, the Vaseline issue is a mute point as GSP dominated the fight. However, the UFC has an unwanted and unneeded controversy on their hands. The UFC is a new sports league and unlike any other new sports league they are going to be faced with situations like this that are going to arise and that they will have to address in a succinct and non knee jerk fashion. The corner men, if proved guilty, must be punished but is that a life time ban? Certainly not in my mind but this infraction wouldn't be a slap on the wrist either. The officiating and the judging in the UFC will continue to evolve one has to assume and the refereeing is an area that I have mentioned before that needs to have a strong internal training regime in place all the while training new referees for the future. The same small handful of ref's handling the majority of the fights doesn't seem prudent to me. Every pro league has a through training program for it's Ref's and the UFC shouldn't be any different.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
Re: Rourke Reveals Why He Can't Wrestle At Mania, More On CD Sales
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2009, 11:57:55 PM »
I would have liked to see him and Jerico, but oh well. If anyone could have made a good thing it would have been Jerico.

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2009, 12:48:37 AM »
Latest On WrestleMania 25 Tickets & Revenue
By Brad Ingles
Feb 4, 2009 - 8:08:26 PM

WWE are past a $5 million advance for WrestleMania 25 despite there being many tickets available for purchase. The Fan Axxess and the Hall of Fame events have sold well and grossed more than last year's total. This is a good sign for the company considering Steve Austin is the only official announced inductee.

Credit: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2009, 12:56:25 PM »
Torrie Wilson Talks About "The Wrestler" & Victoria's Retirement
By Michael Bluth
Feb 5, 2009 - 3:24:59 PM

Former WWE Diva Torrie Wilson recently updated her MySpace blog where she talked about “The Wrestler”, Victoria’s retirement, and more. Some highlights:

“The Wrestler”: I saw the movie "The Wrestler" the other day and agree with the masses in saying it was nothing short of magnificent! I cried a few times and felt very nostalgic for what I called my career for 8 years. I can't believe how spot on so many things were!

Victoria’s retirement: All I can say is that I feel very lucky to have been able to work with this girl and better yet...be her travel partner for so long. There are many times that we were on the road together that I seriously knew in my heart I wouldn't be plugging along every week without her by my side. She kept me laughing nonstop and also helped me through one of the deepest darkest periods of my life. That is a true friend and she is one for life!

Not only was Victoria, in my opinion, the best female wrestler that WWE has seen in years...she was also the most unselfish. I mean this by saying that she always did her best to make her opponent look the very best that she could. Never was there any jealousy on her part because someone was getting a bigger "nudge" on t.v. and she was just there to make everybody look like the best dang wrestler possible. That, unfortunately, can be very rare. Sometimes it can be a big "game" with those that THINK they are better than everyone else..and they try with all their being to make the person they are fighting look much worse than they really are. Of course, I have had this happen to me on many occasions with others that shall remain nameless but never ever one time did this happen with Victoria.

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2009, 12:59:29 PM »
Trish Stratus Talks About Returning To WWE (Interview Recap)
By Michael Bluth
Feb 5, 2009 - 3:17:23 PM

Fresh off her recent appearance and autograph signing last week at the downtown Toronto Eaton Centre Chapters-Indigo store, seven-time WWE women's champion Trish Stratus spoke to Slam! Sports about the possibility of returning to WWE at some point. To read the full interview, visit Slam.Canoe.ca.

Trish Stratus was asked which past or present female wrestlers she would like to have matches with. Trish responded, "I think a matchup with Nattie Neidhart (a/k/a Natalya) or Beth Phoenix would deliver some serious Stratusfaction."

She also kept an open mind to returning to the ring. "If the right scenario presented itself -- like my recent return in Toronto -- it was the right scenario to come out of retirement just to whoop Beth's ass."

There is plenty of speculation even amongst people who work for WWE that Trish will return for a match against Beth Phoenix for a match at WrestleMania 25. Her comments in this interview certainly add fuel to that fire.

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2009, 02:03:34 PM »
Hardy's ECW Exodus, WWE Marking Down All 2008 PPV DVDs, Kane
By Daniel Pena
Feb 6, 2009 - 2:45:27 PM

-- Matt Hardy has posted an in-character blog regarding his exodus from ECW. "Although I wanted out, I honestly couldn't believe he let me go they easy. I thought I was gonna have to put up a fight to get out of my ECW contract," Hardy wrote. "But no, I was allowed to leave the brand at the mere mention of "I want my contractual release."

Hardy calls Theodore Long a bad general manager and says he carried ECW on his back for months. "I was the ECW Heavyweight Champion for nearly 5 months and I carried his company on my back. I was undoubtedly the greatest WWE ECW Champion there has been. I made the Sci-Fi program of ECW a must-see event if I was on it," Hardy wrote.

Hardy also talks about how many members of the ECW roster had the best matches of their career with him. "I made all these guys into bigger stars than they were before wrestling me," Hardy wrote. "That's what I do, I make people stars. I get more out of human beings than they've ever known their capable of. I've done it my entire career." He then names more wrestlers he turned into bigger stars including Lita, Edge and Jeff Hardy.

Click here to read his blog in its entirety.

-- WWEShop.com is selling a package featuring DVDs of all 14 WWE pay-per-views in 2008 for $99.99. The package includes: Royal Rumble 2008 DVD, No Way Out 2008 DVD, WrestleMania 24 DVD, Backlash 2008 DVD, Judgment Day 2008 DVD, One Night Stand 2008 DVD, Night of Champions 2008 DVD, Great American Bash 2008 DVD, SummerSlam 2008 DVD, Unforgiven 2008 DVD, No Mercy 2008 DVD, Cyber Sunday 2008 DVD, Survivor Series 2008 DVD, Armageddon 2008 DVD. Click here for the product page.

-- Kane will be doing a rare autograph signing on Thursday, March 19 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at KMART #3644 located 2491 Murfreesboro Pike, Nashville, TN.

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2009, 02:04:49 PM »
A Few Legends Confirmed For WM Video Game, Cena At Auto Show
By Daniel Pena
Feb 6, 2009 - 2:27:25 PM

-- THQ still has yet to reveal the majority of the characters for the upcoming Legends of WrestleMania video game scheduled to be released next month, although a recent post on the WWE website confirms a few rumored names.

WWE.com has posted the synopsis for next month's programming on WWE 24/7 with the theme being "Legends of WrestleMania." The "Shorties" section will feature classic WrestleMania matches that will be featured in the video game including one featuring Ultimate Warrior, which should confirm his appearance in the game. Featured matches include Hulk Hogan vs. the Ultimate Warrior (WM 6), The Undertaker vs. Jake "The Snake" Roberts (WM 8), and Mr. Perfect vs. Big Boss Man (WM 8), so all six legends are confirmed for the game. "Shorties" will be hosted by "Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase, which should confirm his appearance in the game as well.

WWE 24/7 will also feature a look at Hulk Hogan, a discussion on Texas wrestling, WrestleMania 1 & 17, and the episode of SmackDown prior to WrestleMania 17. For a complete preview, click here.

-- Photos have been posted of John Cena's appearance at the Washington Auto Show yesterday, which attracted quite a few fans to say the least. You can see the photos at the following link. Model Vida Guerra was also there signing autographs.

-- In this week's "Santino's Casa," Santino Marella runs through a list of women who could be his "secret admirer." The Raw Superstar plans on revealing his admirer on next week's webshow. Click here to see this week's show.

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2009, 02:06:53 PM »
Francine Talks Life After Wrestling, WEW, Being Pregnant (Recap)
By Daniel Pena
Feb 6, 2009 - 2:01:47 PM

Show: The Interactive Interview
Guest(s): "The Queen of Extreme" Francine & Brimstone
Date: 2/5/09
Your Hosts: Patrick Kelley, James Walsh, & Nick Noel
Transcript By: Patrick Kelley & James Walsh

In 2003, Francine made her first appearance on The Interactive Interview in an interview that lasted over an hour. In 2005, she rejoined us for another long interview. On the strength of our previous interviews, Francine actually ended up co-hosting The Interactive Interview with James and various co-hosts from June of 2005through May of 2006. Now, almost 3 years later, Francine is ready to get interactive again!

In a short interview, Francine takes us briefly through her life over the past 3 years including really high highs and really low lows. Thankfully, she's now in on the highest of highs as she is an expecting mother and will be appearing at an event that we want everyone to turn out for and tell everyone that the Epicenter sent you, The Staten Island Super Sign where you can meet and mingle with the undisputed "Queen of Extreme"! And, if you view Lita as the "Queen of Extreme" as she was briefly known, you can meet her too! Get your tickets at http://myspace.com/statenislandsupersign and tell them the Epicenter sent you!

You can hear this great interview as well as every other Francine appearance on our show right now in digital audio for free at http://www.WrestlingEpicenter.com. We only ask that you keep us free and check out our store so we can keep bringing you these interviews free of charge as we have for the past 6 and a half years!

FRANCINE:

- After finishing up with Brimstone, Francine makes her Epicenter return after a 3 year absence! She says, "My Wednesday nights have been lonely without you!"

- James mentions that everyone that he has interviewed over the past year has said that Francine is the happiest they have ever seen her now that she's married. Francine says she really is and says that is what the love of a good man can do for you. She says, however, that losing her father and sister so close to one another really was a down time in her life but sees her pregnancy as a chance to look forward to a happier 2009. She is in her second trimester.

- Francine is going to be a part of the Staten Island Supersign and she goes through the long list of names that are set to appear at the event. Some of those names include ODB, Brutus Beefcake, Nikolai Volkoff, Shelley Martinez, Justin Credible, Christy Hemme, Gorgeous George, John Cena Sr., Balls Mahoney, & Ninzio (....or Little Guido) Many other guests have been announced since the interview.

- James and Francine banter back and forth over if Vince McMahon renamed Little Guido "Nunzio" as "guido" isn't exactly a positive name to Italians.

- Francine says she's proud to be part of the Staten Island Super Sign because while it is a paid event, the promoter (Michelle Mupo) is doing nice things for charitable causes while there. James says that the good things that are being done is why he has jumped on board with both feet. Francine says she feels the same way and can't wait to see everyone this Saturday!

- Francine is still a part of WEW. She is the head writer and booker for the show. The next show is sometime in April. Right now she obviously can't do much but she's more interested in passing the torch to the younger girls. For example, on the last PPV, she wrote herself in as a referee since that is a safer place to be.

- When asked if the WEW are still auditioning for PWO girls, Francine laughs and says they are trying to back away from that aspect of the show. But, she says the PWO girl sketches, which are very risque, are a necessary evil because a lot of people buy the pay per views just for that despite the fact that the girls wrestling really do try hard. She says that she doesn't mind that people make fun of WEW but thinks it deserves a little more credit than it gets.

- Patrick asks who she still keeps in contact with. Francine says she's still very close with Daffney, Amy Lee, Bobcat, and some of the other girls.

- Francine never thought she'd be such close friends with Sarah Palin (Daffney's TNA character). James says he didn't even realize it was Daffney to which he gets made fun of a little.

- Francine will be a brides made at the Bobcat and Al Snow wedding. She says she'll be the saddest one there because of her belly.

- Patrick and James thank her for coming by saying they know she doesn't like doing many of these. Francine says it isn't that she doesn't like doing these but has had some bad luck and things she wasn't up to talking about very much. But, she did our show because "I like you guys!"

- Francine closes out with a final plug saying to check out http://myspace.com/statenislandsupersign and to buy tickets. They are $20 in advance and $30 at the door and you get a free surprise autograph with purchase of a ticket. Come on out for a great cause and meet some of the biggest stars in wrestling history like Francine, Lita, and so many others!

- The interview closes out with James playing, as requested by Brimstone, a snippet of Chinese Democracy and James' pick of Tesla's I Wanna Live.

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2009, 02:08:25 PM »
The Rock's New Movie Trailer, Lashley-UFC News, Billboard DVDs
By Michael Bluth
Feb 6, 2009 - 12:26:33 PM

-- An official website for Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's upcoming animated film "Planet 51" has now launched. Visit Planet51.com to watch the HD trailer and see what the animated aliens look like. Planet 51 hits theaters on November 20, 2009.

-- The latest Billboard.com Top 10 Recreational Sports DVD list has been released and once again, it's WWE domination:

1. WWE: Starrcade: The Essential Collection
2. WWE: Armageddon 2008
3. WWE: Edge: A Decade Of Decadence
4. WWE: The Life And Times Of Mr. Perfect
5. WWE: Hell In A Cell
6. WWE: The Legacy Of Stone Cold Steve Austin
7. WWE: WrestleMania XXIV
8. MLB: 2008 World Series: Philadelphia Phillies Vs. Tampa Bay Rays
9. TNA: Bound For Glory IV
10. WWE: The Rock: The Most Electrifying Man In Sports Entertainment

-- Many fans are excited to see what former WWE wrestler Bobby Lashley will do with his new mixed martial arts career and if he'll have a home in the UFC. Lashley seems to have a lot of the same characteristics that have helped UFC heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar get to where he is - both guys are huge, had very good amateur wrestling careers and have a look that is highly marketable. In an interview with TheFukerton.com, UFC President Dana white was asked who will be in the UFC first - Bobby Lashley or Kurt Angle. White responded, "Neither. I don't know, just because Brock did it doesn't mean everyone can do it." Lashley was scheduled for his second MMA fight later this month but was forced to pull out after suffering an ankle ligament injury during a training session.

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2009, 07:39:42 AM »
More Legends of WrestleMania Characters Revealed, Rey vs. Hardy
By Daniel Pena
Feb 7, 2009 - 1:49:04 PM

-- IGN.com has started revealing the Superstars and managers that will be featured in the upcoming WWE Legends of WrestleMania video game. Yesterday, IGN aired the first of a series of videos announcing the wrestlers and managers featured in the game. As well as the previously announced Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, Bobby Heenan and Shawn Michaels, the video announced the inclusion of The Iron Sheik
, Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake, Big John Studd, Junkyard Dog
, Bam Bam Bigelow, Sgt. Slaughter and "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes. You can see footage of the characters in the game at the following link. IGN will be posting another video next week revealing more characters.

-- Rey Mysterio is scheduled to wrestle Matt Hardy at this Tuesday night's SmackDown/ECW taping at the Save Mart Center in Fresno, California. The arena's website is also advertising Edge vs. Jeff Hardy in a Steel Cage Match and a Fatal Four Way Match featuring Undertaker vs. Triple H vs. Big Show vs. Vladimir Kozlov. Click here for more information on the show.

-- Carlito & Primo Colon, who are still the WWE Tag Team Champions, will be signing autographs at the Save Mart Center this Monday from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. {WWE Superstars Carlito & Primo to Sign Autographs at SMC!}

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2009, 01:59:35 PM »
Another WWE HOF Inductee Revealed, WWE Site Undergoing Upgrade
By Daniel Pena
Feb 8, 2009 - 3:58:36 PM

-- According to an article on Amarillo.com, wrestling legend Terry Funk will be inducted into this year's WWE Hall of Fame. When asked for comment, Funk said, "I don't deserve the honor." You can read the article at the following link. Terry's brother Dory has been rumored to join him in the Hall of Fame as well.

-- According to a post on WWE.com, they are upgrading its web servers and infrastructure this weekend "for a better user experience." The article also notes exclusive coverage of the Legends of WrestleMania video game, which was posted today. {WWE.com to undergo weekend upgrade}

-- The latest issue of WWE Magazine comes in three different collectible covers featuring John Cena, Jeff Hardy and Triple H. The issue is a big plug for WrestleMania 25.

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2009, 05:38:27 PM »
Updated WWE Developmental Roster With Several Name Changes
By Daniel Pena
Feb 8, 2009 - 1:58:11 PM

After several months, the official website of WWE's developmental promotion Florida Championship Wrestling has updated their roster page with several new wrestlers as well as a few name changes. They also have some WWE performers listed on the page who regularly appear at FCW events when they're off the road. You can see the updated page at the following link. Here is a rundown of who's who in Florida Championship Wrestling:

Alex Riley - formerly Kevin Kiley

Alicia Fox - ECW Diva

Angela - 24-year-old Canadian model signed early last year

Brett DiBiase - younger brother of WWE star Ted DiBiase, Jr.

Brian Jossie - one of the wrestlers WWE signed following a tryout at Ohio Valley Wrestling headquarters in Louisville back in the fall

Bryan Saxton - former journalist WWE signed in 2007; while he's a trained wrestler, he's primarily used a manager for a stable of wrestlers

Byron Wilcott - signed to a developmental contract a few months ago; did some sort of Christopher Daniels-like gimmick on the indy scene

Caylen Croft - formerly Chris Cage; released in March 2006, but regained his developmental contract following tryout at OVW in the fall

DH Smith - technically on SmackDown roster, but generally appears in Florida Championship Wrestling

DJ Gabriel - ECW Superstar

Drew McIntyre - formerly known as Drew Galloway; signed in the spring of 2007 following tryouts in Europe; called up to SmackDown in October 2007, but sent down to developmental at the start of 2008

Dylan Klein - formerly Johnny Riggs; released in 2006 alongside tag team partner Jason Riggs, but recently re-signed

Eric Escobar - currently reigning as the FCW Florida Heavyweight Champion and has worked a number of SmackDown brand house shows in recent weeks; has been in developmental longer than anyone -- since September 2005

Jason Elliot - formerly Jason Riggs; released in 2006 alongside tag team partner Johnny Riggs, but recently re-signed; currently out with an injury

Jason Garrison - signed to a developmental contract following tryout at OVW this past fall

Jenny Cash - 25-year-old model Jenny Quinn who debuted this past October

Joe Hennig - 29-year-old son of the late Curt "Mr. Perfect" Hennig; has been wrestling since July 2007 after asking about being a wrestler during his father's induction into the WWE Hall of Fame two years ago

Johnny Curtis - worked a few Raw brand house show events in 2008, but was not called up to the main roster; currently one half of the FCW Florida Tag Team Champions with Tyler Reks

Johnny Prime - formerly Jon Emminger

Jon Cutler - Canadian based wrestler signed this past spring following match with Paul Burchill on Raw

Kafu - Brazilian wrestler signed in January 2008

Kaleb O'Neal - formerly known as Patrick Brink; signed to a developmental deal this past fall out of Maryland Championship Wrestling

Kaval - formerly TNA wrestler Low Ki; debuted in January

Kip Christianson - formerly known as Phil Shatter; signed out of the Carolinas this past year

Kizarny - SmackDown Superstar

Kris Logan - formerly known as Brian Cage; signed in June following a tryout before a show in California

Lawrence Knight - English wrestler Stu Sanders; signed to a developmental contract in October 2007

Lupe Santiago - formerly known as Lupe Viscara; signed out of Ohio Valley Wrestling in the summer of 2007

Matt Walsh - signed following tryout at FCW in October; male model with some wrestling experience

Maverick Darsow - 21-year-old son of former WWE wrestler Barry Darsow (a.k.a. Demolition Smash, Repo Man); signed to a developmental contract late last year

Mike Hutter - real name Michael Hutter; signed this past year out of Ohio

Paul Lloyd - formerly PJ Black; signed this past year out of South Africa

Ricky Ortiz - ECW Superstar

Rosa Mendes - 2006 Diva Search contestant currently appearing on Raw

Ryback - formerly Tough Enough 4 contestant Ryan Reeves; let go from his developmental contract in January 2007, but signed with WWE again this past October following tryout at OVW; received a 30-day suspension for failing the WWE Wellness Program in July 2006

Scotty Goldman - infrequently used SmackDown wrestler generally appeared in FCW

Sebastian Slater - formerly Heath Miller; signed to a developmental contract in December 2006

Sheamus O'Shaunessy - Irish wrestler signed to a developmental contract following tryouts during WWE's tour of Europe in the spring of 2007

Sweet Papi Sanchez - formerly masked wrestler Black Pain; signed out of Puerto Rico in 2008

Tank Mulligan - Taylor Rotunda, son of WWE road agent Mike "Irwin R. Schyster" Rotunda; 18-year-old recently signed to a developmental deal despite no prior wrestling experience

Tiffany - assistant to ECW General Manager Theodore Long

TJ Wilson - signed to a developmental contract in November 2006

Trent Beretta - formerly known as Greg Cardona & Plazma; trained by Mikey Whipwreck; signed to a developmental contract this past year out of New York

Tristan Delta - formerly known as Ian Richardson

Tyler Reks - formerly known as Gabe Tuft & Taj Milano; signed out of UPW in February 2008; currently one half of the FCW Florida Tag Team Champions with Johnny Curtis

Tyson Tarver - formerly known as Tyrone Jones; signed out of Ohio in the fall of 2007

Vic Adams - formerly known as Janus on the indy scene; signed out of the Carolinas early last year

Wes Brisco - son of WWE Hall of Famer Gerald Brisco; recently signed to a developmental contract despite no prior pro wrestling experience

Wesley Holliday - former model Beverly Mullins signed to a developmental contract early last year; currently the valet of Dylan Klein

Windham Rotunda - 21-year-old son of Mike Rotunda; offensive guard out of Troy University; signed to a developmental contract this past summer

Yoshitatsu - formerly known as Naofumi Yamamoto; signed out of New Japan Pro Wrestling last year

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2009, 09:20:54 AM »
Jim Ross Blogs About WM25 Surprises, The Rock, WWE Creative
By Michael Bluth
Feb 9, 2009 - 10:07:48 AM

Jim Ross has posted his latest blog entry, which you can check out at JRsBarBQ.com. Some highlights:

- I think that because some fans think that because I am an announcer on Friday Night Smackdown that I am involved in the creative process and can impact creative changes. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I do not attend creative meetings, none are held in Oklahoma at JR's Family BBQ, and the complete and total extent of my creative involvement is to make an occasional suggestion if I think that I have a good idea which is quite infrequent. Some emails you never see are in attack mode from the get go at me personally because I don't change things some fans don't like. Those emails are read and deleted without problem but there is a general misconception of what my role these days is with the WWE. Hopefully this helps clarify the matter.

- I will be doing more THQ video game voice overs in a couple of weeks here in Norman. As I said the storylines in this game are more involved that I can recall in the past but the over lying issue of the game is the increased physicality of it. I think some mistake a PG TV rating as factoring out physicality and that's not the case in my view but it does eliminate HLA type moments which shouldn't offend any true wrestling fan. I am anxious to see if the THQ trend continues with the next collection of copy.

- Some friends have asked me about where Friday Night Smackdown will be produced during the week leading into WM25 and I still don't know. My assumption is that SD will be produced down in Houston which adds another live event for the fans who travel to Houston for WM25 week to attend. Sounds like a cool event for Axxess. Hopefully that matter will be made known to us all sooner than later so every one can plan.

- Yours truly exchanged emails with Dwayne Johnson at the Super Bowl and we wanted to hook up but his schedule and mine just would not allow it. He is really excited about his next film "Return to Witch Mountain" and the movie trailer looks great. Dwayne has been wise beyond his years in the movie roles that he has selected all of which will seemingly have long shelf lives and be family friendly for years to come. I hope to hook up with the former Miami Hurricane this fall when Oklahoma travels to Miami to play "The U." I am profoundly proud of Dwayne's film success and I'm happy to say that, as it relates to our relationship and that's all that concerns me personally, success hasn't changed the "Great One" one bit.

- We are often asked about any Wrestlemania surprises on tap for Houston. First of all and to be totally honest with you I don't know of any at this time and I really don't want to know. I, too, love surprises which are becoming rare in today's pro wrestling world. Many folks who know insider info feel compelled to leak the info to outside sources for reasons beyond me. Can you provide an answer as to why someone would reveal the "end of the movie" to those planning on seeing the "movie" but as of yet have not? Nonetheless if I knew of any surprises why would I reveal them and ruin them for the fans? I think it goes without saying that the WWE will pull out all the stops to make WM25 a success including a surprise or two here and there.

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2009, 09:22:20 AM »
Video Of RVD On Geraldo, Rourke Wins Big Award, Big Show Birthday
By Michael Bluth
Feb 9, 2009 - 10:35:13 AM

-- Big Show turned 37 years old yesterday. Today marks his tenth year since signing his WWE contract. Big Show made his WWE debut in 1999 at the St. Valentines Day Massacre steel cage match between Stone Cold Steve Austin and Vince McMahon.

-- Mickey Rourke walked away with the Best Actor Award at last night's British Academy Film and Television Awards. The BAFTA's are considered the UK version of the Oscars and last year, all four "best actor" BAFTA winners went on to win Oscars.

-- A video clip is now online of former WWE and ECW Champion Rob Van Dam's appearance on "Geraldo At Large" from Friday night and can be viewed at YouTube.com. RVD talks about the recent Michael Phelps bong controversey, the government's law that marijuana is considered more dangerous than cocaine and methamphetamines, his 2006 arrest for pot that led him to being stripped of his titles and more.

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2009, 10:45:28 AM »
WWE Names New Executive Vice President Of Marketing
By Michael Bluth
Feb 9, 2009 - 1:38:47 PM

WWE issued the following press release today:

WWE® NAMES NEW MARKETING LEADER

STAMFORD, Conn., February 9, 2008 – World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. has named Michelle D. Wilson as Executive Vice President, Marketing. In her new role, Wilson will head WWE’s global marketing and integrated brand initiatives, including pay-per-view, advertising, promotions, research, creative services, and public and government relations.

“Michelle brings a unique combination of sports, entertainment and brand marketing experience to WWE,” said Linda McMahon, CEO, World Wrestling Entertainment. “She will be a key player in furthering the WWE brand and bringing great value to our network, advertising and promotional partners.”

As the former Chief Marketing Officer of the United States Tennis Association, she was instrumental in making the US Open the highest attended annual sporting event in the world. She developed innovative advertising and promotional campaigns -- It’s Showtime and The Greatest Road Trip in Sports -- that significantly elevated the image and awareness of tennis in the United States resulting in record television viewership and ticket sales. Wilson was also a pivotal player in the implementation of several innovations for the sport, including in-stadium video screens, blue courts, instant replay, celebrity entertainment and the 2004 launch of the Olympus US Open Series.

Prior to the USTA, Wilson oversaw all marketing efforts for the launch of the XFL football league, a partnership between WWE and NBC. She also held positions at the NBA in its domestic and international consumer products groups. Before her career in the sports industry, Wilson held brand management positions at Nabisco.

Additional information on World Wrestling Entertainment Inc (NYSE: WWE) can be found at wwe.com and corporate.wwe.com. For information on our global activities, go to http://www.wwe.com/worldwide/.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2009, 11:49:37 AM »
World Wrestling Entertainment has signed yet another second generation talent to a developmental deal. Tavita Fifita, the son of former WWF and WCW star Haku, signed last week with the company and will be starting with Florida Championship Wrestling shortly.

source-pw insider

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2009, 12:07:11 PM »
Yea I just read that . Good for him.

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2009, 08:13:13 PM »
Ten More Characters Confirmed For "Legends of WrestleMania" Game
By Daniel Pena
Feb 9, 2009 - 8:56:42 PM

IGN.com posted a video today confirming ten more characters for the upcoming "Legends of WrestleMania" video game, which is scheduled to be released on Tuesday, March 24, 2009.

- "Stone Cold" Steve Austin
- The Rock
- Jimmy Hart
- Road Warrior Hawk
- Road Warrior Animal
- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper
- Greg "The Hammer" Valentine
- "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan
- British Bulldog
- "Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase

Here is a list of the characters the official WWE website confirmed over the weekend.

- Hulk Hogan
- Andre the Giant
- Bobby Heenan
- Shawn Michaels
- The Iron Sheik
- Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake
- Big John Studd
- Junkyard Dog
- Bam Bam Bigelow
- Sgt. Slaughter
- Dusty Rhodes
- Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka

Additionally, here is a list of characters that have yet to be officially confirmed, but were culled together through various pictures, videos, etc...:

- Bret "The Hitman" Hart (print ad/various screenshots)
- Jake "The Snake" Roberts (print ad/WWE 24/7 synopsis on WWE.com promoting "Legends of Wrestling")
- Mr. Fuji (shown throwing salt at Bret Hart in print ad, which should likely confirm Yokozuna)
- Ultimate Warrior (shown in commercial during the Royal Rumble/WWE 24/7 synopsis on WWE.com)
- Undertaker (WWE 24/7 synopsis on WWE.com)
- Mr. Perfect (WWE 24/7 synopsis on WWE.com)
- Big Boss Man (WWE 24/7 synopsis on WWE.com)
- Howard Finkel (various screenshots)

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2009, 08:14:36 PM »
MyNetworkTV Getting An Overhaul - Will SmackDown Be Affected?
By Daniel Pena
Feb 9, 2009 - 7:53:32 PM

MyNetworkTV is rebranding itself once again. Starting this fall, the channel will move away from a "broadcast TV" channel to what will essentially become a "rerun network," according to an article from the Associated Press. They will no longer develop first-run shows, but instead offer programs from "big franchise, big branded shows" such as Law & Order: Criminal Intent and other series.

As a result of the change, News Corp. will no longer consider MyNetworkTV a broadcast network alongside FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS and The CW.

Regarding the status of Friday Night SmackDown, all outlets are reporting that WWE will remain in its normal time slot. In light of the announcement, WWE quickly issued a press release tonight saying SmackDown "has a bright future" on MyNetworkTV. You can read WWE's press release at the following link.

For more details on MyNetworkTV's shift, click here.

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2009, 08:15:49 PM »
New Match Advertised For Raw, Jericho Getting Mainstream Coverage
By Daniel Pena
Feb 9, 2009 - 6:00:34 PM

-- WWE.com has announced a six-man tag match for tonight's Raw in Oakland featuring all of the participants in the Elimination Chamber match at this Sunday's No Way Out pay-per-view. WWE World Heavyweight Champion John Cena, Rey Mysterio and Kofi Kingston will team up to take on Chris Jericho, Kane and Mike Knox.

-- Yahoo.com currently has a front page headline regarding Chris Jericho's scuffle with fans this past weekend. Click here to see the video story.

-- After pulling their statement regarding Jericho's scuffle with fans earlier in the day, WWE.com has put the statement back up. The statement was updated to say that the man and woman who assaulted Jericho were arrested. The last line originally said: "The WWE is working with local authorities who are investigating the incident to identify the man and woman who fled the scene." {Chris Jericho assaulted}

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2009, 08:17:13 PM »
Jim Cornette Debuts New Weekly Online Talk Show Tonight
By Daniel Pena
Feb 9, 2009 - 5:47:47 PM

JIM CORNETTE DEBUTS NEW WEEKLY ONLINE TALK SHOW, INCREDIBLE ONE HOUR DANNY HODGE INTERVIEW, FORMER WWE MAGAZINE EDITOR BRIAN SOLOMON JOINS AS NEW HOST, HEADSHRINKER SAMU DEBUTS NEW WEEKLY SEGMENT, JOHN CENA SR. PREVIEWS NO WAY OUT, AND SO MUCH MORE TONIGHT ON WHO'S SLAMMING WHO!

Jim Cornette debuts his new weekly talk show "Cornette's Commentary" tonight on an all new edition of Who's Slamming Who. Jim Cornette is not only one of the most entertaining personalities in the history of professional wrestling, he's also one of the greatest minds as well. Cornette is very excited to finally be entering the world of the Internet after all these years.

In his first installment on Cornette's Commentary, Cornette gives his thoughts on the movie The Wrestler. To say Cornette wasn't a big fan of the movie would be a huge understatement. What will Cornette's reaction be to the movie everyone is raving about? Be sure to tune in tonight and find out!

Brian Solomon, the former editor of WWE Magazine, will be debuting as the new weekly host of Who's Slamming Who tonight with Tommy Fierro. Solomon brings a very unique perspective to the show and we are very excited to be having him come aboard as the new host with Fierro.

Solomon and Fierro will be talking about a number of different topics on tonight's show, including: Vince McMahon's new idea for a reality TV show, Ric Flair's return to the WWE tonight on Raw and where they are headed with it, more on the Randy Orton/Shane McMahon storyline, looking at the 2009 WWE Hall of Fame, and much more.

John Cena Sr. will be joining the show tonight to give his predictions on this Sunday's WWE No Way Out PPV.

Former WWE Tag Team Champion Headshrinker Samu will also be debuting a new weekly segment on tonight's show called On The Road. Samu is a true veteran in our industry and he will be delivering all of his great knowledge and experience to Who's Slamming Who each and every week.

Danny Hodge is the special guest tonight on Who's Slamming Who. Hodge came out of Perry, Oklahoma, to set the amateur wrestling world on fire in the mid 1950s. He won three NCAA Championships at 177 pounds for the University of Oklahoma, never losing a match or even being taken down. He also won three national titles in freestyle wrestling and one in Greco-Roman.

Hodge joins the show tonight for over an hour and talks about: His amateur wrestling background and how he got involved with wrestling, how wrestling wasn't a dream of his growing up, being on the cover of Sports Illustrated Magazine, boxing both amateur and professionally, entering the world of professional wrestling, Lou Thesz, The Briscos, wrestling in Japan, his thoughts on Bruno Sammartino, comparing today's wrestling business from his day, his thoughts on the current product, how he still watches Raw each and every Monday night, some of today's wrestlers that he wishes he had the chance to wrestle, where he would be on the card if he was in his prime and in WWE today, thoughts on Hulk Hogan, boxing Bob Orton, wrestling ninety-minute matches with Hiro Matsuda, if today's talent could compete for that long, UFC, being before his time, and so much more. This will go down as one of the most interesting interviews ever.

The Oklahoma Shooter: The Dan Hodge story is now available. For more information on Hodge's unbelievable new book, be sure to contact Culture House Books at (641) 791-3072 for further information.

We will also be making a huge announcement tonight regarding a new weekly segment that will be beginning on Who's Slamming Who starting next week. Who will it be? Be sure to tune in tonight to find out! We stress HUGE!

There will also be all new weekly exclusive segments by Jerry Jarrett, Iron Sheik, Joe "The Assassin" Hamilton, Lanny Poffo, Bill Behrens, Danny Doring, Allan Funk, Ace Darling, Mike Quackenbush, Evan Ginzburg, Rob Feinstein, Michael Modest, Danny Inferno, Robert Rosen, and more.

Ean Levy will also be bringing you all the latest news going on in and around the world of professional wrestling over the last seven days.

LISTEN NOW:
To listen to the show tonight, head over to:
WhosSlammingWho.podomati c.com

JOIN THE WHO'S SLAMMING WHO FACEBOOK GROUP:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=47042116925

WHO'S SLAMMING WHO ON MYSPACE:
MySpace.com/WhosSlammingWho

SHOW FEEDBACK:
E-Mail: TommyFierro@optonline.net

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2009, 08:18:52 PM »
WWE Signs Haku's Son, The Rock & Brooke Hogan At The Grammys
By Michael Bluth
Feb 9, 2009 - 3:20:06 PM

Source: PWInsider.com

-- World Wrestling Entertainment has signed yet another second generation talent to a developmental deal. Tavita Fifita, the son of former WWF and WCW star Haku, signed last week with the company and will be starting with Florida Championship Wrestling shortly. Fifita was trained at the Team 3D Wrestling Academy.

-- To confirm what we reported last week, ABC has officially announced the next lineup for their "Dancing With The Stars" show and WrestleMania 11 main eventer (and NFL great) Lawrence Taylor will be appearing. Another celebrity with ties to pro wrestling, Jackass' Steve O, will also be on this season.

-- Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Brooke Hogan were at last night's 51st Grammy Awards. Brooke was seen on the red carpet and was part of the audience while The Great One opened the show with some jokes before presenting Justin Timberlake.

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2009, 08:20:24 PM »
Burke's No-Compete Clause Expires, Chris Masters Workout Tips
By Daniel Pena
Feb 9, 2009 - 8:30:18 PM

-- Elijah Burke's ninety-day no-compete clause with WWE expired yesterday (as did Kenny Dykstra and Lena Yada's), so he's free to conduct business with any wrestling entity now. Burke will be giving his first interview since his release from WWE tonight on www.MondayNightMayhem.co m from 9:00 to 10:00 p.m.

-- Former WWE Superstar Chris Masters has launched an official website at www.ChristopherMordetzky .com. Masters reveals his entire training regime as well as his diet on the website.

-- Paul London will be appearing at the Westside Xtreme Wrestling event in Oberhausen, Germany on May 1st, 2009. Go to http://wxw-wrestling.com for info about WXW and http://prowrestlingevents.tk or http://prowrestlingevents.webs.com for info about upcoming wrestling shows worldwide. (Thanks to Devin Cutting)

Update On Shelly Martinez, London On MySpace, Jonathan Coachman
By Daniel Pena
Feb 9, 2009 - 6:22:31 PM

-- Former WWE/TNA performer Shelly Martinez has a new website at www.ShellyMartinez.com. The site won't be officially launched until March 1, 2009 as it's set to feature a pay section. Also, Martinez reunited with Kevin Thorn this past weekend at a wrestling convention in Staten Island, New York. Today is also her birthday as she turns 29 years old.

-- Former WWE Superstar Paul London now has an account on MySpace. He can be reached at www.myspace.com/officialpaullondon. His ninety-day no-compete clause with WWE expired this past week and he's started taking a number of bookings and interview requests. Promoters interested in booking him can do so through the page.

-- It's interesting to note that former WWE announcer Jonathan Coachman was sitting in the anchor chair on ESPNews when the Alex Rodriguez-steroids story broke this past weekend. The former WWE performer editorialized on the improprieties of baseball players using steroids, reports www.f4wonline.com.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2009, 01:18:41 AM »
NEW TNA SIGNING, MICK FOLEY UPDATE, FORMER WWE STARS AT TNA THIS WEEK & LOTS MORE
by Mike Johnson @ 1:42 AM on 2/10/2009

TNA has signed Rob Terry, who had been training at the Team 3D Wrestling Academy in Florida, to a two year deal last week. Terry is originally from Wales. He's the third student from 3D's school to be signed by one of the national companies.

TNA will debut a new weekly Mick Foley segment, "Hardcore History" on Impact this Thursday. Foley will be telling inside stories from his career in the segment.

As Buck Woodward reported on the TNA Against All Odds post-game show in the PWInsider.com Elite section, former WWE talent Shawn (Gavin) Spears was backstage at the PPV. Spears was sporting a broken hand. I'd love to see TNA pick him up as he's one heck of a heel, something WWE failed to utilize when he was on the ECW brand.

Former WWE and ECW star Stevie Richards was backstage at the Impact taping last night. There's talk he may be coming in, which would be another great signing for TNA, but I haven't heard anything concrete.

Matt Morgan worked the Against All Odds PPV with his shoulder taped as he underwent surgery the week before on it to remove an infection.

For those of you who subscribe to the PWInsider.com Elite section, currently online is an interview with Team 3D's Brother Ray that was conducted Sunday prior to the Against All Odds PPV discussing the PPV's main event, the state of TNA's tag team scene with discussion on each team, watching TNA grow and comparing it to his time in ECW, The Dudley Boyz inciting riots, whether that type of behavior could fly in professional wrestling today, whether he ever felt he went too far, the night he nearly caused an ECW PPV to be pulled off the air, Paul Heyman, leaving ECW and then watching it fall apart, promoting, the Team 3D Wrestling Academy, training new talents, opening his businesses outside of wrestling, Jake Roberts and much more.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2009, 08:57:01 AM »
Several readers sent word that WWE Diva Maria was attacked while signing autographs at the Washington Auto Show over the weekend. According to fans in attendance, Maria was signing when a man who was waiting in line rushed her and began grabbing & squeezing her. Security guards rushed him and removed him from the building. Maria was said to be shaken up for a few minutes but eventually kept on signing.

Credit: Impact Wrestling

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The original plan for WrestleMania was to be Chris Jericho vs. Mickey Rourke in some form of boxing match, with Ric Flair in the corner of Rourke. That may still happen, but if Rourke ends up not coming back into the angle, there are two ways the angle could go. The first is the Jericho vs. Flair match, which seems to be already teased. The second is a match between Chris Jericho and Steve Austin. Austin reportedly says Jericho is one of the few people he would trust to have a match with at this point, and also, it would play into Jericho’s recent promo work, where he made fun of “washed up Hall of Famers.”

There is belief among some that Rourke is just holding off until the Academy Awards are over on February 22nd to see if he wins an award for The Wrestler.

Source: NoDq.Com