Author Topic: Bitcoins - about to hit $5,000 per coin today!  (Read 764572 times)

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
Re: Bitcoins - about to hit $5,000 per coin today!
« Reply #4475 on: January 23, 2021, 05:50:16 PM »
Lol.ok.

Over 100,000 merchants worldwide accept bitcoin. Notable ones include Microsoft and Expedia, as well as the online electronics retailer Newegg. ... You can use bitcoin to buy a gift card and then shop at those retailers or another one of the 200-some that they work with, including giants like Nike, Target and Starbucks.

"yeah, but..."   ;D

Reads like ad copy for a Bitcoin lobbyist, haha.

Theoak*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4476 on: January 23, 2021, 08:28:03 PM »

Cliff notes:

"yeah but..."   ;D

I understand.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #4477 on: January 24, 2021, 12:41:45 AM »

New development and innovation will be added to the existing Bitcoin network backbone as 2nd-layer add-ons (LN is one such example and there are, and will be, others). Bitcoin is currently a huge decentralized network, the size of which the world has never seen before. It is by far the fastest computational entity currently in existence on earth. This achievement is not easy to replicate. Apart from its vast size, it possesses features no other network of its kind possesses. Bitcoin is decentralized, trustless, immutable, borderless, scalable, super-hardened, super-robust, deflationary, scarce, not owned by any specific entity. It's all of the above and more. All at the same time. These are not blockchain properties, they are Bitcoin properties.

Just as new, innovative internet technologies are added on top of the tried, tested and robust TCP/IP layer, so will new, innovative technologies be added on top of the Bitcoin network backbone. There's no need to reinvent the wheel when the wheel is the optimal strategy. There are 100s of car brands, but their products all use wheels, because anything else is sub-optimal. Bitcoin is the "wheel" of the digital monetary revolution, and it will be used for decades to come. We, as Bitcoin HoDLers, are now tapping on the fundamental building block of a monetary instrument that will shake the foundations of the world's financial and wealth infrastructure. The avalanche has started, it's getting bigger, and it's unstoppable.

If anyone thinks an altcoin can easily replace all of the above, he is deluded. It's just a matter of time. You can either understand the tech, realise its potential and embrace it, or wait until you are forced to do so. It's up to you.

From 3:55 Raoul Pal gives his opinion on Ethereum:

He believes Ethereum is getting adopted faster and could potentially have a bigger market cap over time. He also believes a platform is more valuable than an asset.

And says he's not talking about a flippening happening 'immediately'.

Also, with Metcalfe's law, the more people that enter a network and the more network connections, the more it goes up in value.

When BTC reached a million wallets, that price is also 'exactly the same' as when ETH reached a million wallets.

On a side note, Ethereum currently can do 60 transactions per second, Ethereum 2 will be able to do 100 000 and Bitcoin can do a maximum of 4.6 transactions per second. Visa can apparently handle about 24 000 transactions per second.

Ethereum is also currently used by several major banks including JPMorgan. Amazon and Microsoft Azure also use Ethereum.

It also now settles $12 billion in transactions daily, $3 billion more than Bitcoin.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #4478 on: January 24, 2021, 01:53:40 AM »
Moved 30% BTC into Ethereum last night for the short term.

Ethereum climbing. 

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4479 on: January 24, 2021, 03:29:49 AM »

On a side note, Ethereum currently can do 60 transactions per second, Ethereum 2 will be able to do 100 000 and Bitcoin can do a maximum of 4.6 transactions per second. Visa can apparently handle about 24 000 transactions per second.

On the 2nd layer lightening network, BTC transactions will be able to scale to over 100,000 per second. That will then be reconciled on the base layer of Bitcoin. So you get the speed of a visa-like payment, with the security of something far more solid than the fait money that underlies Visa fiat transactions. Which is why, of course, Visa, PayPay, Square, and many others, are offering BTC as an underlying store of base value.

Eth is not a store of value. It is a platform. Eth can be infinitely produced - it is not inherently or mathematically scarce like Bitcoin is. That will however, not stop people treating it as a speculative instrument, (at least in the shot-term).

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #4481 on: January 24, 2021, 03:57:07 AM »
From 3:55 Raoul Pal gives his opinion on Ethereum:

He believes Ethereum is getting adopted faster and could potentially have a bigger market cap over time. He also believes a platform is more valuable than an asset.

And says he's not talking about a flippening happening 'immediately'.

Also, with Metcalfe's law, the more people that enter a network and the more network connections, the more it goes up in value.

When BTC reached a million wallets, that price is also 'exactly the same' as when ETH reached a million wallets.

Ethereum is also currently used by several major banks including JPMorgan. Amazon and Microsoft Azure also use Ethereum.

It also now settles $12 billion in transactions daily, $3 billion more than Bitcoin.

I want to see Ethereum go much higher. It is very undervalued IMO at $1300-1400. I won't sell at these prices. I might consider selling some at 10K. And then buy back in if prices dip.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #4482 on: January 24, 2021, 04:08:25 AM »
On the 2nd layer lightening network, BTC transactions will be able to scale to over 100,000 per second. That will then be reconciled on the base layer of Bitcoin. So you get the speed of a visa-like payment, with the security of something far more solid than the fait money that underlies Visa fiat transactions. Which is why, of course, Visa, PayPay, Square, and many others, are offering BTC as an underlying store of base value.

Eth is not a store of value. It is a platform. Eth can be infinitely produced - it is not inherently or mathematically scarce like Bitcoin is. That will however, not stop people treating it as a speculative instrument, (at least in the shot-term).

As mentioned several large banks such as JPMorgan and Santander are already using Ethereum. Amazon is apparently as well.

All stablecoins use Ethereum. Central banks could as well.

The Reserve Bank of Australia, Thailand, Hong Kong and France are also considering using Ethereum for the issuing of 'central bank digital currency' (CBDC). The company they are using, 'Consenys', uses Ethereum. The South African Reserve Bank (SARB) is also experimenting with using Ethereum.

https://www.ledgerinsights.com/reserve-bank-of-australia-wholesale-cbdc-ethereum/

Etnereum appearing in several CBDC projects

Today the Reserve Bank of Australia announced its planning a proof of concept (PoC) for a wholesale central bank digital currency (CBDC) based on distributed ledger technology (DLT), or more specifically, Ethereum blockchain technology.

Over the past few weeks, ConsenSys has announced involvement in multiple projects with central banks, pointing to several central banks exploring Ethereum technology. Last week, Consensys declared it’s developing a PoC with the Bank of Thailand for retail CBDC, or digital Baht.

Up to now, its CBDC initiative used R3’s Corda technology. ConsenSys is also partnering with the Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA) for the cross-border payment trial with Thailand, as part of the second phase of Project Inthanon-LionRock.

In Europe, Consensys announced a collaboration with Societe Generale Forge on CBDC tests with the Banque de France.

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #4483 on: January 24, 2021, 04:12:45 AM »
USD and other fiat currencies are in a hyperinflationary collapse against many cryptos including Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin and others. This is what happens when banks keep printing fiat currencies.

The beauty of Bitcoin and others is the finite supply. It is now a major milestone for a major investor to acquire 50,000 BTC. Think about that! And it is becoming incredible hard to get anymore. The same thing will happen to Ethereum. And with Ethereum they are now considering burning ETH to limit the supply.

Bitcoin was around $1000 in January 2017. Then it shot up to $19,500 by the end of the year.

Ethereum was around $1000 on January 4th 2021. So how high could it go by the end of the year? I have seen estimates of up to $27,000! Time will tell. But we know the government will keep printing dollars.

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #4484 on: January 24, 2021, 04:18:35 AM »

I keep saying Bitcoin is not the only player in town. There are more developers involved with Ethereum and probably also investors. That's the network affect which brings value to Bitcoin and Ethereum. Ethereum is going to go up. If I was you I would sell some BTC for ETH while the ratio is still in favor of Bitcoin. I see ETH settling eventually at 6:1 with Bitcoin. But in the near term perhaps it can get to 15:1 or 10:1. Maybe I am wrong?

I plan on converting some Ethereum to Bitcoin. But not at the current ratios. Ethereum has some catching up to do.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #4485 on: January 24, 2021, 04:24:15 AM »
USD and other fiat currencies are in a hyperinflationary collapse against many cryptos including Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin and others. This is what happens when banks keep printing fiat currencies.

The beauty of Bitcoin and others is the finite supply. It is now a major milestone for a major investor to acquire 50,000 BTC. Think about that! And it is becoming incredible hard to get anymore. The same thing will happen to Ethereum. And with Ethereum they are now considering burning ETH to limit the supply.

Bitcoin was around $1000 in January 2017. Then it shot up to $19,500 by the end of the year.

Ethereum was around $1000 on January 4th 2021. So how high could it go by the end of the year? I have seen estimates of up to $27,000! Time will tell. But we know the government will keep printing dollars.

And as indicated in the above post, several central banks are actively experimenting with using Ethereum to develop their central bank digital currency (CBDC).

Imagine a digital Thai Baht, Singapore or HK Dollar using Ethereum? For instance, HK processes the third highest amount of global forex transactions, almost US$450 billion daily.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #4486 on: January 24, 2021, 04:53:56 AM »

The same thing will happen to Ethereum. And with Ethereum they are now considering burning ETH to limit the supply.

Its not a consideration, its happening from what I understand.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #4487 on: January 24, 2021, 05:08:56 AM »
Its not a consideration, its happening from what I understand.

ETH Supply to Be Halved- presently, Ethereum has about 4.7 million ETH in issuance yearly, with ETH 2.0, ETH supply will range between 100,000 and 2 million annually, apparently less than 2 million.

Halving Will Be Accompanied by “Burning”- following every significant increase in transaction volumes, the total ETH in circulating supply will be reduced due to “burning”.

Explaining what was meant by “burning”, Buterin said that the initial transaction fees charged by the protocol will be halved, the first part goes to the miner as a ‘reward’, while the other part just gets burnt.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4488 on: January 24, 2021, 06:08:02 AM »
For Eth to scale, millions more need to be produced on an ongoing basis. Burned ETH will have to be replaced by new ETH. You can run all that ETH theoretically could be used for as a platform, unless the supply is virtually infinite. Think about it.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4489 on: January 24, 2021, 06:30:06 AM »
I truly think most people who own eth fully understand it. (And that includes myself by the way). Its an incredibly ambitious project they have, with very few successful scaled use cases. But that will of course, not stop people speculating on it as a coin, despite it never having been intended to be used as such (and indeed any "cost" of the eth in fact being prohibitive to their goals of having eth function as a platform for smart contracts).

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #4490 on: January 24, 2021, 07:10:54 AM »
For Eth to scale, millions more need to be produced on an ongoing basis. Burned ETH will have to be replaced by new ETH. You can run all that ETH theoretically could be used for as a platform, unless the supply is virtually infinite. Think about it.

My understanding is that the burned ETH will further reduce the available supply for that year.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #4491 on: January 24, 2021, 07:16:36 AM »
I truly think most people who own eth fully understand it. (And that includes myself by the way). Its an incredibly ambitious project they have, with very few successful scaled use cases. But that will of course, not stop people speculating on it as a coin, despite it never having been intended to be used as such (and indeed any "cost" of the eth in fact being prohibitive to their goals of having eth function as a platform for smart contracts).

I'm mainly seeing it's potential for growth if it becomes a platform used by more banks, stablecoins and central banks. At the moment, all stablecoins are using Ethereum.

So far some central banks are experimenting with its use, but if it's announced they are officially using the Ethereum platform to issue central bank digital currency, this would be huge.

And if not adopted by central banks, I believe stablecoins backed by hard currency have great potential in developing countries where purchasing foreign currency is very difficult or even not possible.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #4492 on: January 24, 2021, 08:53:21 AM »
An answer to the recent Eth inflation/deflation discussion is here at, around 28min mark

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #4493 on: January 24, 2021, 10:15:24 AM »
the etherium hype train is strong right now.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #4494 on: January 24, 2021, 12:10:38 PM »
Ethereum won’t be with more than Bitcoin.  There way more units of ethereum than there are of BTC

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4495 on: January 24, 2021, 02:16:34 PM »
Ethereum won’t be with more than Bitcoin.  There way more units of ethereum than there are of BTC

ETH market cap last few years was roughly 20% of BTC.

Price of ETH can go 5 times to be of equal value with BTC which would mean looking for a value ratio of 0.1 ETHBTC.

In saying that, the ratio is skewed today due to seasonality so the 0.042 value trending now is not a result of a permanent shift but a short term trend.

I think 99.99% of information today being said online is misleading because they want people to believe ETH is flying upwards while reality shows even with an increasing ETHBTC ratio valuation the price is falling.....

ETH to 20k is a distraction when ETH has a 10% lower price than it’s peak during this current parabolic run. Besides, the timing of the quotes are from months ago yet social media is chucking them up as if it was said yesterday.....

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #4496 on: January 24, 2021, 02:51:14 PM »
I have Cash App where it is very simple to buy BTC and any other stock but I don't see any option to buy Ethereum. How do you buy Ethereum?

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #4497 on: January 24, 2021, 04:05:08 PM »
I have Cash App where it is very simple to buy BTC and any other stock but I don't see any option to buy Ethereum. How do you buy Ethereum?

e.g. coinbase

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #4498 on: January 24, 2021, 04:16:38 PM »
Read this. Interesting.

There are currently 11 wallets without outbound payments since 2014, holding a total of 273,182 BTC.[1]

As soon as one of these ‘whales’ (large holders) sell their Bitcoins, the price will decline firmly. It happened before. This will trigger bots to sell more, plummeting the rates even more.

Some of these wallets might be inaccessible. Or the holders are waiting for the right moment to manipulate the rates?

Nobody knows.

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #4499 on: January 24, 2021, 04:23:40 PM »
According to Coinmarket Cap there are in circulation:

18,609,481 BTC
114,388,819 ETH

114,388,819 / 18,609,481 = 6.14

So there's about 6.14 times more ETH minted than BTC.

This is why the true price ratio should be 6:1.

https://coinmarketcap.com/